Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karmakazi, I was thinking maybe she had talked to someone and had planned on meeting him later. Maybe she talked to him while she was in the middle of jogging to her mom's house (and MAYBE this person had a burner phone that can't be tracked by LE). Maybe that's why witnesses saw her staring at her phone so intently. Maybe in the middle of her run to her mom's she made plans to meet this person later. So that's why she turned around and went back to her boyfriend's house. That could be the reason she didn't go to her mom's to eat brats either. This person may have had a personal matter and told MT that they didn't want anyone else to know (not sure what that would be though that they lied to her about). Maybe he told MT that he trusted ONLY her and only wanted to talk to HER about this matter. So because of that MT didn't tell anyone (and that's why no one talked to her or heard from her after she sent the last text OK about the brats). Also MT seemed so nice and she probably would have helped someone out especially if it was a friend, or a friend of a friend that she trusted. She COULD have come home. Maybe the friend told her that he would meet her as soon as he got off work. So she got home and did some homework really quick. Maybe she didn't have time to take a shower since she was going out later with this person so she left her jogging clothes on. I personally think at some point she slapped her red shirt on (maybe she didn't have any more clothes at the house to wear) so she wouldn't be going to meet this person with a skimpy jogging top on. So that would mean she was wearing the jogging top, jogging pants and her red shirt when this person picked her up. She put the dogs back up in the basement because she was leaving with this person.

Maybe she went to this person's house, a building like a church, another house (I mean there are many possibilities--this person could be a realtor or something and have taken MT to a house that she THOUGHT was his house, but it wasn't--maybe it was a house of someone out of town and he used that house and lied and told MT it was HIS house) and that was about the time MT sent the Snapchat around 9:45 when she WAS in someone else's house. Maybe this person didn't even know she took the Snapchat (could be why LE doesn't want to mention the Snapchat anymore, because it could uncover certain info. especially if they end up getting a search warrant and search people's houses and DT maybe can go with them and give them an idea of someone's house and if that is what he remembers in the Snapchat or not when MT sent it to him). Not sure why she would have had her headphones with her though in this scenario. Maybe she wanted her music with her and decided to take them with her so she could listen to music on the way to the place this person was taking her to or something. That would explain her headphones missing.

Maybe MT was wearing contacts while she was jogging, but took them off when she got home and slapped on her glasses to do homework. Maybe when she left with this person she didn't feel like she needed her glasses or her contacts, especially if she was not going to be driving herself or doing homework or anything that required her to look up close (I am assuming that she is nearsighted). If she is nearsighted (I wish I knew) she would not need her glasses or contacts all the time. It would be good to have them though while driving and in school because you are required to look at things that are up close. I am nearsighted and many times I don't wear my glasses. Back when I used to wear contacts I DID that, however put them in all the time when I went to school or college. However if I didn't need them I didn't wear them, because I tried to get as much use out of them that I could get (the more you use them the more likely you have to replace them and get another pair). The less I wore my contacts the more I saved money (maybe MT was thinking on the same lines).

Then MT was at this person's house or wherever he took her and not long after she sent that Snapchat he made an advance on her and things turned ugly and he hurt MT in an accident. But an accident wouldn't be as planned out. So my other theory (which I think is more likely) is that maybe this person had all this planned out (maybe they knew MT through a friend or they were friends with MT but not a close friend and she THOUGHT she trusted them, and over a certain amount of time they gained her trust to do this) way in advance. Maybe he was also stalking her or something on social media. Maybe he was keeping up with her friends and boyfriend and that's how he found out that she was going to be home alone (making it the perfect time for him to plan all this out and abduct MT and do whatever he wanted to do to her).

Another possibility (and I favor this scenario over the above scenario) is that for SOME reason she went back home. Maybe she remembered at the last minute that she had a homework assignment that she forgot about and she needed to do it and get it turned in. So she decided not to go to her mom's house for brats and headed back to her boyfriend's house to get that assignment done asap so she could turn it in before the deadline. Maybe her phone was going in and out on her way back and she couldn't text her mom back (or maybe she just figured she would text her mom later). Maybe she just figured she would get her brother to take her to work the next day so she would just let her mom and brother know in the morning (why worry about that now). Maybe she got home and did some homework really quick and decided not to change or take a shower right away. Maybe then she took her contacts off when she got home. Maybe she then put on her glasses to do homework. Then maybe after doing homework she sent the Snapchat to her boyfriend from his house.

Then maybe she decided she was going to get a shower and go to bed. Maybe she heard a knock at the door right when she had taken her glasses off (that would mean she would still be in her jogging clothes, red shirt, and no glasses or contacts). She may have also still had her headphones on (because she hadn't had a chance to take them off yet). Then once she opened the door maybe it was a friend that she knew (who she THOUGHT was a friend and who she THOUGHT she trusted). Maybe he lied to her (could have even been a guy or something that worked with her boyfriend and she knew him too as a friend) and said there is an emergency and her boyfriend is hurt and she might want to come with him. Maybe the dogs were barking up a storm and that is about the time she decided to put them up in the basement and she slapped her red shirt on to have a little more cover than just a jogging top. And maybe she still had not had time to take her headphones off. Maybe since the person told her it was an emergency about her boyfriend (or they could have even told her it was something like an emergency about her mom or even her dad) she got frazzled and was all upset and trying to hurry and get out of the house to go with them to find out what happened.

Then right as she walked out the door with him maybe he injected her with something or subdued her with chloroform or something like that. If he did it right at the doorway then there would have been NO evidence in the house. If there was a garage there at her boyfriend's house (not sure if he has a garage) he could have even parked his vehicle in the garage (and at the time she may have thought nothing of it (his vehicle would have been hidden very well that way). And he did what he did to her (like injecting a syringe with something in it that would subdue her) so quick that she didn't know what was happening, and it didn't even give her enough time to react (like trying to call her mom or anyone). And I heard somewhere she would have her Fitbit on because she wore it all the time. These are all far fetched, but POSSIBLE.

Or maybe she DID get abducted while jogging which I think is also possible. It would be easier that way and less evidence left than trying to snatch someone up from the house they are staying in.

JMO.
Wow. That's alot of maybes. I think I'm going to have to go over that again when I get up.

I may be mistaken, but I thought he said he fell asleep right after opening it, and that's why he sent her the good morning one right away when he got up. If she did make it back to the house, took a quick shower (and changed from the running clothes the first witness described to those that the last one described), took a quick selfie and was sending it to him when the neighbor saw her walk by using her phone. If she finished her run about 8:15, fed the dogs and let them outside while she took a shower, and put them back into the basement before leaving, it could have been close to 9 by then. MOO

Confusion, I was thinking that too. Maybe she did get back home. Maybe someone called her and told her he had an emergency and to meet him down at the road and that he would be there in a minute. I don't know why he wouldn't meet at her house. But who knows maybe that is just what happened so she decided she would meet them at the end of the road or something. Maybe she didn't have time to change so she just threw her red shirt on. Or maybe she got chilled (since it was later at night and rain was about to come) so she threw the red shirt on over her jogging top before she put the dogs in the basement and she headed out to meet this person. Maybe she took her headphones with her so she could listen to music if she needed to (who knows). I heard somewhere in the threads where it was said that she wore her Fitbit all the time, so she would automatically have it on her. And of course she would have her cell phone. Maybe she got home and took out her contacts and put on her glasses to do homework. Maybe she didn't have time to put her contacts back in and didn't want to wear her glasses (and is nearsighted and figured she really didn't need her glasses or contacts anyway since she was not driving or doing school work) so she left them there. Who knows. Then she went to this person's house and sent the Snapchat (or they were at another location--not sure where that would be where she sent the Snapchat from) and this person didn't know she sent the Snapchat. Then not long after that this person attacked MT. They were probably stalking her all along and had planned all this in advance. JMO.

Complications can come in many forms. What if it were a female with a fixation on Mollie?

Just a thought, no fact.

Trident, that's very possible. I know some people mentioned that WAY BACK in the threads (can't remember when or who now). Maybe another girl liked MT's boyfriend or something. Maybe this girl was upset/jealous that MT was getting married and this girl wanted MT's boyfriend all to herself. Or maybe this other girl was jealous of MT. MT looks like she was very social and liked by many and that can be intimidating to some girls. Maybe MT had a good friend that this other girl wanted as a friend and she was just jealous over something as simple as that. Maybe this girl drugged MT and then did something to her. That is always possible. In that case the girl may have did it all at Mollie's boyfriend's house to make it easier since a woman is smaller. It would be harder I would think for a woman to abduct another woman and throw her in their car (like an abduction from jogging).

Last edited:
Ahhh now I get it. I get confused this time of night. But for awhile I did consider that scenario as well. Now I just don't know. There are several theories I find compelling.
I'm at the point now where I think that if she did finish her run, she didn't go into the house. I think it would have been late enough that she'd want to get over to her mother's, grab a brat or two and the shirt she needed the next day, and taken the car back to the house. If she did go on E. Des Moines instead of straight up Jackson, I think that may be where she was taken. That would lead out to the 4th dot, which is nothing but fields or trees in all directions for quite a ways. I could see him turning onto 200th St., and her screaming as they passed the farm down the road. He might have hit her to shut her up and accidentally killed her (or killed her sooner than planned?) That would show up in the fitbit data, and the battery could have just died by the time he got to the 5th dot. I believe he came from somewhere south of there, but I have nothing to back up my belief. Once the phone died, I'm really not sure if they have any way to track him any farther. MOO

So here's my question from that article.

What was the deal with the old classmate mollie reached out to a few days before she disappeared?

I have to imagine this has already been checked out, but this article was the first I heard of it.
This classmate was obviously known to more than Mollie, and he would have easily been tracked down weeks ago I'd think. The appeals/focus seem to be at somebody like him. MOO

Hmmm--her disposing of her phone would have been amazingly helpful to her abductor--doing his work for him. In what way could doing that possibly help her?
That’s what I’m having trouble with also, msbetsy. The arm band and phone.
And while I think it’s plausible she could have returned and cooled off, done a few things like feed dogs, (that she would have been standing for) i think it’s less likely she would have sat down and done homework without changing to be comfortable. MOO.
Yes, I would prefer to shower and get comfortable too. Unless it was just 10 mins worth of homework, maybe.

In the medical field you say the hoofbeats are horses not zebras.
Meaning go after the most obvious way

1. Most Probable. Mollie was running across town in sports bra and shorts and some random guy saw her, in rural area and threw her in car
2. Less Probable she was taken at boyfriends. So she made is back home alone two large protective pit bulls, and some guy ripped her out of there locked pit bulls downstairs, showed no signs of struggle and didnt alert neighbors
3. extremely unlikely- mollie left on own free will is off the grid on own choice. No wallet, no car, stays in touch with family and friends all the time but suddenly stops

Not if he got rid of the phone.

Fitbits also transmit to laptops, not just phones, if previously synchronized.
I guess you would need the fitbit, when near your laptop, to trace your results.

Last edited:
This classmate was obviously known to more than Mollie, and he would have easily been tracked down weeks ago I'd think. The appeals/focus seem to be at somebody like him. MOO

I'd think so too. I just thought it interesting that with all the speculation in these threads of the possibility that Mollie met up with somebody who "just wanted to talk", this is a concrete example of a situation that could have resulted in that, and that was initiated within days of her disappearance.

I had honestly never put much stock in that specific scenario, but definitely need to reconsider that now.

Karmakazi, I was thinking maybe she had talked to someone and had planned on meeting him later. Maybe she talked to him while she was in the middle of jogging to her mom's house (and MAYBE this person had a burner phone that can't be tracked by LE). Maybe that's why witnesses saw her staring at her phone so intently. Maybe in the middle of her run to her mom's she made plans to meet this person later. So that's why she turned around and went back to her boyfriend's house. That could be the reason she didn't go to her mom's to eat brats either. This person may have had a personal matter and told MT that they didn't want anyone else to know (not sure what that would be though that they lied to her about). Maybe he told MT that he trusted ONLY her and only wanted to talk to HER about this matter. So because of that MT didn't tell anyone (and that's why no one talked to her or heard from her after she sent the last text OK about the brats). Also MT seemed so nice and she probably would have helped someone out especially if it was a friend, or a friend of a friend that she trusted. She COULD have come home. Maybe the friend told her that he would meet her as soon as he got off work. So she got home and did some homework really quick. Maybe she didn't have time to take a shower since she was going out later with this person so she left her jogging clothes on. I personally think at some point she slapped her red shirt on (maybe she didn't have any more clothes at the house to wear) so she wouldn't be going to meet this person with a skimpy jogging top on. So that would mean she was wearing the jogging top, jogging pants and her red shirt when this person picked her up. She put the dogs back up in the basement because she was leaving with this person.

Maybe she went to this person's house, a building like a church, another house (I mean there are many possibilities--this person could be a realtor or something and have taken MT to a house that she THOUGHT was his house, but it wasn't--maybe it was a house of someone out of town and he used that house and lied and told MT it was HIS house) and that was about the time MT sent the Snapchat around 9:45 when she WAS in someone else's house. Maybe this person didn't even know she took the Snapchat (could be why LE doesn't want to mention the Snapchat anymore, because it could uncover certain info. especially if they end up getting a search warrant and search people's houses and DT maybe can go with them and give them an idea of someone's house and if that is what he remembers in the Snapchat or not when MT sent it to him). Not sure why she would have had her headphones with her though in this scenario. Maybe she wanted her music with her and decided to take them with her so she could listen to music on the way to the place this person was taking her to or something. That would explain her headphones missing.

Maybe MT was wearing contacts while she was jogging, but took them off when she got home and slapped on her glasses to do homework. Maybe when she left with this person she didn't feel like she needed her glasses or her contacts, especially if she was not going to be driving herself or doing homework or anything that required her to look up close (I am assuming that she is nearsighted). If she is nearsighted (I wish I knew) she would not need her glasses or contacts all the time. It would be good to have them though while driving and in school because you are required to look at things that are up close. I am nearsighted and many times I don't wear my glasses. Back when I used to wear contacts I DID that, however put them in all the time when I went to school or college. However if I didn't need them I didn't wear them, because I tried to get as much use out of them that I could get (the more you use them the more likely you have to replace them and get another pair). The less I wore my contacts the more I saved money (maybe MT was thinking on the same lines).

Then MT was at this person's house or wherever he took her and not long after she sent that Snapchat he made an advance on her and things turned ugly and he hurt MT in an accident. But an accident wouldn't be as planned out. So my other theory (which I think is more likely) is that maybe this person had all this planned out (maybe they knew MT through a friend or they were friends with MT but not a close friend and she THOUGHT she trusted them, and over a certain amount of time they gained her trust to do this) way in advance. Maybe he was also stalking her or something on social media. Maybe he was keeping up with her friends and boyfriend and that's how he found out that she was going to be home alone (making it the perfect time for him to plan all this out and abduct MT and do whatever he wanted to do to her).

Another possibility (and I favor this scenario over the above scenario) is that for SOME reason she went back home. Maybe she remembered at the last minute that she had a homework assignment that she forgot about and she needed to do it and get it turned in. So she decided not to go to her mom's house for brats and headed back to her boyfriend's house to get that assignment done asap so she could turn it in before the deadline. Maybe her phone was going in and out on her way back and she couldn't text her mom back (or maybe she just figured she would text her mom later). Maybe she just figured she would get her brother to take her to work the next day so she would just let her mom and brother know in the morning (why worry about that now). Maybe she got home and did some homework really quick and decided not to change or take a shower right away. Maybe then she took her contacts off when she got home. Maybe she then put on her glasses to do homework. Then maybe after doing homework she sent the Snapchat to her boyfriend from his house.

Then maybe she decided she was going to get a shower and go to bed. Maybe she heard a knock at the door right when she had taken her glasses off (that would mean she would still be in her jogging clothes, red shirt, and no glasses or contacts). She may have also still had her headphones on (because she hadn't had a chance to take them off yet). Then once she opened the door maybe it was a friend that she knew (who she THOUGHT was a friend and who she THOUGHT she trusted). Maybe he lied to her (could have even been a guy or something that worked with her boyfriend and she knew him too as a friend) and said there is an emergency and her boyfriend is hurt and she might want to come with him. Maybe the dogs were barking up a storm and that is about the time she decided to put them up in the basement and she slapped her red shirt on to have a little more cover than just a jogging top. And maybe she still had not had time to take her headphones off. Maybe since the person told her it was an emergency about her boyfriend (or they could have even told her it was something like an emergency about her mom or even her dad) she got frazzled and was all upset and trying to hurry and get out of the house to go with them to find out what happened.

Then right as she walked out the door with him maybe he injected her with something or subdued her with chloroform or something like that. If he did it right at the doorway then there would have been NO evidence in the house. If there was a garage there at her boyfriend's house (not sure if he has a garage) he could have even parked his vehicle in the garage (and at the time she may have thought nothing of it (his vehicle would have been hidden very well that way). And he did what he did to her (like injecting a syringe with something in it that would subdue her) so quick that she didn't know what was happening, and it didn't even give her enough time to react (like trying to call her mom or anyone). And I heard somewhere she would have her Fitbit on because she wore it all the time. These are all far fetched, but POSSIBLE.

Or maybe she DID get abducted while jogging which I think is also possible. It would be easier that way and less evidence left than trying to snatch someone up from the house they are staying in.

JMO.

Night Owl- Wow. I definitely give you creative credit for your theories. (Not at all meant in a snarky way either!). You’re right- In this life, there are nothing but possibilities. I guess to clarify, it seems there are some on this thread that think the most likely scenario with evidence we have is that Mollie made it back home and did various other activities before she disappeared. To those posters that think this is the MOST likely scenario, I’m curious as to how they would explain away her missing jogging clothes and armband, in a way that would make the most sense.

Around the same time Mollie was jogging, I was playing tennis about an hour away in IC with my husband, who never usually sweats and barely moves his feet to hit the ball. That night, he sweat a lot tho barely moving, it was so humid and warm that he immediately took his saturated shirt off. And changed immediately on getting back to the house. Even if Mollie isn’t normally a huge sweater, the conditions in the area that night were such that you wouldn’t even have to be moving much to get sweaty. Running that night would have drenched a non sweater, and I just don’t see how doing much of anything in sweaty gross wet clothes and an armband would be logical.

In the medical field you say the hoofbeats are horses not zebras.
Meaning go after the most obvious way

1. Most Probable. Mollie was running across town in sports bra and shorts and some random guy saw her, in rural area and threw her in car
2. Less Probable she was taken at boyfriends. So she made is back home alone two large protective pit bulls, and some guy ripped her out of there locked pit bulls downstairs, showed no signs of struggle and didnt alert neighbors
3. extremely unlikely- mollie left on own free will is off the grid on own choice. No wallet, no car, stays in touch with family and friends all the time but suddenly stops
I agree with your thinking here. As time passes, and there is no visible movement in the case, I think it’s more and more likely that this crime was perpetrated by someone that she didn’t know. I think that had someone close to her been involved, we’d have seen some indication of that by now.

I am leaning more towards a crime of opportunity, by someone who might have seen her in the past, and perhaps had fantasized about abducting her, or someone like her (a young jogger). He saw an opportunity, and took it.

Night Owl- Wow. I definitely give you creative credit for your theories. (Not at all meant in a snarky way either!). You’re right- In this life, there are nothing but possibilities. I guess to clarify, it seems there are some on this thread that think the most likely scenario with evidence we have is that Mollie made it back home and did various other activities before she disappeared. To those posters that think this is the MOST likely scenario, I’m curious as to how they would explain away her missing jogging clothes and armband, in a way that would make the most sense.

Around the same time Mollie was jogging, I was playing tennis about an hour away in IC with my husband, who never usually sweats and barely moves his feet to hit the ball. That night, he sweat a lot tho barely moving, it was so humid and warm that he immediately took his saturated shirt off. And changed immediately on getting back to the house. Even if Mollie isn’t normally a huge sweater, the conditions in the area that night were such that you wouldn’t even have to be moving much to get sweaty. Running that night would have drenched a non sweater, and I just don’t see how doing much of anything in sweaty gross wet clothes and an armband would be logical.
Yes she either went missing / abducted
1) On her run
2) As soon as she returned from her run probably outside DJ's house
3) Unlikely but also possible from DJ's but made to look like gone missing on run. Ie all running clothes etc bagged up

Yes, beautiful Mollie will be back safe and sound. Soon.
We all hope for this, but I fear that anyone who truly believes that this will have a happy ending, is setting themselves up for tremendous disappointment. There’s always hope, but history tells us that the most likely outcome, is a horrific one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998