Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
The autopsy should be able to determine if she was hit by a car. I don't think she was hit by a car, but perhaps there is enough evidence on her body to figure out how he attacked her.

jmo
I don't necessarily think CR had a lot to gain by lying. He could have told LE he threw her in a river or something, and she's long gone, but he didn't. The body will hold a lot of evidence and he has to know that IMO. I think he's leaving parts out, obviously, but why make up a story and then give LE the body?

I have read these two sentences several times and get a very unsettling feeling about it. To me, it sounds like he checked his phone 'after' this happened and went back to where he left her body. Why?...to see if she was still there or maybe for another reason (which I won't spell out).

The Defendant was able to use his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn.

'Rivera then later guided law enforcement to her location from memory,' the affidavit continues.
Perhaps he use gps navigation on phone to find a way out of the area without detection. And he knew where he left her south of town so was simple to direct LE there.

I would like to know how the dairy farm was able to do a background check on an illegal?????
If they are an illegal citizen they should not be in any systems correct?

I am so sad for the whole family. maybe more so for the boyfriend. he opened the snapchat and fell asleep thinking all was well and likely she was already gone before he opened it if I understand the time line.

Do they typically release the video footage to the press? I wasn’t sure if they do, once it’s after the fact.

Home security cameras can be VERY VERY grainey (sp). It may have taken a long time to locate people / vehicles and then to enhance the footage so that someone could be identified. It's not like a movie. Many times they use low resolution so they can keep more days history. Also, the camera may not have had low light capability which would be even more difficult. I understood that they had the footage 2 weeks before talking to CR. I do think it would have been easy to pinpoint the time frame they were looking for.

Yes, but we don't know the quality, or the reason why it took so long to get hold of the CCTV footage; apparently it was acquired from a neighbour. Technology has improved so much, that I expect the quality to be good. No doubt we will find out in the future as to the quality of it.

As if it couldn't get any worse, this case has become political. His legal status isn't the reason this crime took place. Like others said, this crime should not be about him. This all seems like a bad horror movie. All these unfortunate events had to unfold in order for this crime to take place.
1) Her parents divorce caused her to move to Iowa with her mother
2) Her bf took a one off job 1-2 hours away
3) Her bf's roommates happened to be out of town. This required Mollie to come over to dog sit.
4) Mollie took a risky route, venturing into the rural part of town to where there's only 1 house every few acres. This puts the time of attack at/near sunset.
5) The attacker had to sneak into the country illegally AND of all places set up shop in rural Iowa.
6) The attacker probably would not have been so bold if he saw her sticking to the denser residential area. I don't think he initially meant to harm her. He wanted to flirt with a girl he'd seen before to see where it could lead to. He probably was hesitant to do that before in a denser area for fear of a neighbor getting the wrong idea and calling the cops on him...cat calling is common in his home country and doesn't typically invoke fear.
7) When Mollie didn't respond positively and threatened to call the police, the attacker most likely felt fear of being deported. He had a clean record. This is his trigger. I feel that an undocumented person who goes all the way to rural Iowa to make a living has a sincere desire to simply live a proper life. With one sentence Mollie threatened to take that all away from him.

Although he says he blacked out, usually when a criminal says they blacked out they eventually admit the whole truth, but they're scared/ashamed to go into detail at that moment. LE was probably more concerned with locating the body than extracting as much criminal detail from his as possible. I think the crime unfolded pretty much as the attacker described. I don't think he raped her. I think he panicked and beat her. He might've used a weapon or slammed her against the ground. When he realized she was dead, he put her in the trunk. I don't think he raped her after he realized she was dead. In his mind he probably did sort of blacked out, but he knows the details and they'll figure it all out through the autopsy.

I realize most people love electronics. Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with them. But I do know that when I walk, I listen to nature and big city sounds, not music or whatever, on my phone. My phone is in my pocket, solely for one reason only....an old lady needing help. BEFORE CELL PHONES, I was approached like Mollie from behind several times. One time, an actual friend of the family tried to pull me into his car. I am NOT saying anything more than (especially for you tiny girls) stay aware! Stalkers prey on those who are vulnerable in some way and ear buds are one of those vulnerabilities because it provides distraction from the task at hand. Kinda like using the phone in the car.
Remember, hunters have internal rules to follow in order to catch their prey. Realize your vulnerabilities and for the old gal here, stay safe. Mollie was tough on me.
MHO ONLY

Qutos, you had posted this earlier, but I couldn’t reply then because the thread was not open. “If you look at the map of the area where he was seen following her (Middle and Boundary Streets), 385 where her body was found is is just off to the right. When he left her, he may have headed back into the same direction and was seen on camera again after she was dead. What makes me think this is the time frame the arrest warrant shows 7:45 to 8:28. 8:28 is a precise number, so something gives them that time.
I imagine they also have his cellphone pings that put him in the area. They probably confronted him with so much digital evidence against him that he knew they had him.”
This may have been answered already & I apologize if so.
Wouldn’t Mollie’s FitBit have tracked her heart rate? I hate even writing this...but wouldn’t that pinpoint when her heart stopped beating? MOO

why was the FBI so certain and so outspoken about Mollie being alive? i thought that was weird during this entire case. i figured she was harmed during her jog and dead within a few hours. i don't understand WHY they insisted people don't search. she could've been found much, much sooner if they let people search around guernsey. i'm actually a bit mad.

Every missing person is considered to be alive until a body is found. Police always said that they were looking for a missing person. Searches have to be managed. Volunteers cannot trespass on private property, and it's unreasonable to have people wandering onto private property because they want to look around. Furthermore, when a body is found, the entire area has to be examined for evidence. Volunteer searchers may compromise evidence.

Mollies Mom just speaking on HLN.
Said he must have lived under a rock
Said a girl who worked at the grocery store and another business said she never saw him anywhere before
Must have kept a low profile

Someone posted early on that folks who lived in particular locations preferred to go to Montezuma rather than Brooklyn. Maybe this was the case for this guy? And after 4 years he would have had a personal reason to pay close heed to how LE worked in the area, wouldn't he?

The screencap at the daily mail shows 2 different CR's ex-gf/baby momma profiles as "friends" of Mollie on FB. Wonder if one of those profiles was a spoof created by CR to keep closer tabs on Mollie.

And if the CR's ex profile who shows up as friends with Mollie's brothers, boyfriend(?) et al is the real IM or possibly a spoofed-by-CR FB profile designed for stalking:

Republican family which hired Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer insist he passed background check | Daily Mail Online
If Mollie had posts that were set to friends of friends she may have mentioned being alone and he would have seen those.

Isn’t there a way to shake/wave the newer iPhones to activate 911?

I don't think you can get there via shaking the phone. Pushing the iphone's power button 5 times in a row quickly will start an automatic dial 911 process, with a countdown to abort before the phone dials the local version of 911 (999 or whatever in other countries). Also, if you hold down either volume button and the power button long enough, same thing, starts a countdown to auto-dialing emergency services.

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/free-personal-safety-apps/

Free Personal Safety Apps that Can Call For Help

I think I'm going to make a point to make sure that my loved ones install one of these. One of my kids' colleges had one that instantly connected to the police department when you pushed the panic button, gave them your coordinates and started video that LE could see. Kid thought it was ridiculous and unnecessary. Mollie is why we should consider these things. She may not have had a chance to do anything, but maybe this might help someone somewhere.

I can appreciate your opinion but I definitely believe some humans are EVIL - it does NOT shift the burden away from them for me. No scapegoating. It just is the only word that applies to the depths of depravity some choose.
Well savages is a word that fits also. We could also use sub-human.

Someone posted early on that folks who lived in particular locations preferred to go to Montezuma rather than Brooklyn. Maybe this was the case for this guy? And after 4 years he would have had a personal reason to pay close heed to how LE worked in the area, wouldn't he?

I am sure its very possible.
Just bringing forth Mollie's mom's comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members