Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything people said about him points to that, imo. Why not actually speak to a person, instead of staring at them, not saying a word and then messaging them over and over again. Not one person has come forward to say they new Rivera well. Except his family who said he was a good father and a few other things. No-one has given an accurate description of his personality except to say he was quiet, creepy, and tried in innapropriate ways to come onto them. How much deeper can you get with the few descriptions we have? The only flattering thing someone outside of his family said he was a hard worker, spent time with his child and that he was a " clean cut American Person." How does this tell us he was capable of having a long term, meaningful relationship? The only one we have heard of lasted one year. Honestly we don't have nearly enough to go on to say he had great relationship skills. If he was using his skill of connecting to people when he approached Mollie than he sure didn't do a very good job.... thats about as " deep" as we can get.
How much deeper can you get with the few descriptions we have? Personally I think many here have gone well beyond what they can get from those few descriptions. Six degrees to Kevin Bacon. I got there in 4, I know there are people in this thread that can get there in at least 3, would love to hear their opinion.

We know the location where the incident first occurred, and the start and end range time of the incident. We know where he was at the end range time of the incident. The incident lasted roughly 43 minutes.

In those 43 minutes, Mollie was abducted at or near 1900 385 Ave. Travel time from the abduction site to the body site is 18 minutes. That leaves roughly 25 minutes where something happened at the body site.
To me, this is indicative of a serial killer. Not saying Rivera is, but the victim is usually killed quickly. Of course there are exceptions like those who prefer to torture and make the victim suffer. That's what the thrill is for them, as opposed to the kill itself. The fact that it appears to have happened so quickly reminds me of how others described their first kill as being faster than they intended, particularly the smiley face killer, the truck driver who said he was surprised how quickly he killed his first victim, and that he made an effort to take his time with the next victim. The excitement and frenzy caused him to kill fast, and he was out of control. It reminds me a little of Rivera. Also in that he had seen the first victim earlier in a bar, and at that time decided to kill her and went back looking for her. ( the smiley face killer) Just a thought. And... mo , of course.

he took LE to the body. how would not having a DL help convict him more than leading to the body, admitting to putting her in the trunk, telling the route he took?
I wouldn't know the answer to that, but I would assume it's a minor detail that wouldn't even be brought up in the trial. It has nothing to do with the murder. Imo

We know the location where the incident first occurred, and the start and end range time of the incident. We know where he was at the end range time of the incident. The incident lasted roughly 43 minutes.

In those 43 minutes, Mollie was abducted at or near 1900 385 Ave. Travel time from the abduction site to the body site is 18 minutes. That leaves roughly 25 minutes where something happened at the body site.
Reading and thinking about this makes me sad. :(

How much deeper can you get with the few descriptions we have? Personally I think many here have gone well beyond what they can get from those few descriptions. Six degrees to Kevin Bacon. I got there in 4, I know there are people in this thread that can get there in at least 3, would love to hear their opinion.
Right, that's what I mean. All we have to go on is what people have said. But imo, its also what people have not said that indicate his relationship skills are not so great. We have not heard anyone come forward and say he was a great guy, he was caring and would never hurt a fly, or things to that effect. I think it was said he had a temper by someone, but I'm not sure if that was verified or not. The only thing we can assume by what we have heard is that he was quiet, did not speak much, was innapropriate towards women ( if those stories are even true) and was a hard worker. In fact he went right back to work and acted completely normal just hours after he had chased down Mollie and viciously ended her life. But the psychologists will dig deeper, and I'm confident they will be able to discern a great deal just by their interviews with him. And then of course there is the testing, which I feel will reveal a remorseless, deceitful person who lacks empathy and hasn't a conscience. Narcissistic Personality at the least. That much we can at least assume by his behavior. Will be interesting to hear the results, if we ever do. Jmo

I think your saying he stabbed Mollie in the cornfield; if your saying that; then his 'blocked out memory' is a 'load of tripe'.
Nothing has been stated about the type of sharp object he used. I have considered that he used a sharp instrument on her head or skull?

To me, this is indicative of a serial killer. Not saying Rivera is, but the victim is usually killed quickly. Of course there are exceptions like those who prefer to torture and make the victim suffer. That's what the thrill is for them, as opposed to the kill itself. The fact that it appears to have happened so quickly reminds me of how others described their first kill as being faster than they intended, particularly the smiley face killer, the truck driver who said he was surprised how quickly he killed his first victim, and that he made an effort to take his time with the next victim. The excitement and frenzy caused him to kill fast, and he was out of control. It reminds me a little of Rivera. Also in that he had seen the first victim earlier in a bar, and at that time decided to kill her and went back looking for her. ( the smiley face killer) Just a thought. And... mo , of course.

I posted stats last weekend - 69% of abduction murder victims are deceased within one hour of abduction. I don't have the link handy, but here's the screenshot.

Everything about Mollie's abduction and murder suggests to me that this is not his first criminal act. A first timer might not think to transport Mollie to another location, an experience abductor would. For example, looking at Jesse Matthews, he started with inappropriate behavior with women and he was expelled from college because of sexual assault allegations. The first assault that involved police was a brazen attack on a woman who was walking home with groceries. The attack and assault happened at the same location. His next two victims, Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham were abducted and taken to a rural location. There is typically an evolution of behavior that ends with Rivera's MO, but that doesn't mean that this wasn't his first time. It just makes it very questionable.

upload_2018-9-8_15-3-25.png

I understand. It's your position that in the prosecution for murder, the prosecutor will attempt to introduce unrelated information during the trial. I'm not familiar enough with the Iowa courts to know whether alleged, unrelated prior bad acts are tolerated during murder trials. It seems to me that if the judge wants to keep the trial on track, extraneous information about what he did at the age of 17 should be very carefully managed and excluded.

The prosecutor doesn't have to introduce it into evidence. It can be stated during opening and closing arguments, which aren't evidence. It is information LE has announced publicly. It is not 'alleged prior acts,' it is fact confirmed by LE and reported on by the news media. These are very important issues of public safety in Iowa.

If it was unrelated, LE wouldn't have mentioned it when the arrest was announced and the news media would not still be mentioning it.

It's also not information which will be "new" to the majority of Iowans on the jury. I'm not at all concerned that CR won't receive a fair trial. JMO

Everything people said about him points to that, imo. Why not actually speak to a person, instead of staring at them, not saying a word and then messaging them over and over again. Not one person has come forward to say they new Rivera well. Except his family who said he was a good father and a few other things. No-one has given an accurate description of his personality except to say he was quiet, creepy, and tried in innapropriate ways to come onto them. How much deeper can you get with the few descriptions we have? The only flattering thing someone outside of his family said he was a hard worker, spent time with his child and that he was a " clean cut American Person." How does this tell us he was capable of having a long term, meaningful relationship? The only one we have heard of lasted one year. Honestly we don't have nearly enough to go on to say he had great relationship skills. If he was using his skill of connecting to people when he approached Mollie than he sure didn't do a very good job.... thats about as " deep" as we can get.
FB shows CR having met IM on June 15, 2013. There was a photo of them together with his arms around her in Dec. 2014, and baby pictures in the summer of 2015. That's at least two years they were together, and I thought I had read somewhere that they both lived in the trailer for one year after baby (although I'm not sure about that). JMO I'm not "sleuthing" IM, or connecting her in any way, I'm only trying to make sense of CR's timeline.

Agree on when he might enter a plea!

Does any one know what happens if the murder weapon is not found

Well, they just go to trial without it. I wouldn't think that the lack of a murder weapon would be an issue in a case like this--the alleged murderer had five weeks to dispose of it--and if it was a knife, it'd be easy to dispose of.

I think that it'd need to be an entirely different type of case, for the lack of a weapon to be an issue. Offhand, if the suspect was found at the scene of the crime, with no obvious way to dispose of the weapon--that's a problem. And if the weapon seems to be unusual, and there doesn't seem to be a way for the suspect to have acquired it.

The prosecutor doesn't have to introduce it into evidence. It can be stated during opening and closing arguments, which aren't evidence. It is information LE has announced publicly. It is not 'alleged prior acts,' it is fact confirmed by LE and reported on by the news media. These are very important issues of public safety in Iowa.

If it was unrelated, LE wouldn't have mentioned it when the arrest was announced and the news media would not still be mentioning it.

It's also not information which will be "new" to the majority of Iowans on the jury. I'm not at all concerned that CR won't receive a fair trial. JMO

Opening and closing statements are in theory : telling people what you are going to say (opening statements), saying it (trial), telling people what you just said (closing statements). Making claims in an opening statement that are not supported in trial can undermine the credibility of the prosecution.

Police can say whatever they want to the media. That doesn't make those statements relevant or admissible in court.

The media makes all sorts of statements that have nothing to do with a murder prosecution.

The other, older system is the SSNVS, and it can be accessed on line or by calling 1-800-772-6270 to speak with an agent. This system is only to verify SSNs for W-2 Forms, and not for I-9 verifications per se. But it is OK and LEGAL to use in Iowa to "vet" farm workers for employment as the law does not mandate E-Verify use. The SSVNS handbook even notes that the phone access to the system is for the use of farmers hiring workers. Either system only "vets" the info on the new hire supplied documents, not anything about the person presenting the documents. The SSNVS use handbook specifically cautions about taking action against an applicant based on info from the system over immigration issues because any such action could "subject the employer to anti-discrimination or labor law sanctions", and to NOT use information from the system to take punitive action action against an applicant for this reason. Also, under Federal EEOC Law, the employer is forbidden from asking the applicant ANY question about race or national origin.

When you use E-Verify you must display a Government supplied poster in the hiring location, in Spanish and English, saying that you do so. If not, there must be a page in the application paperwork containing the same info. This is a sign to an illegal worker that they must present verifying ID that will pass the E-verify systems check, meaning that the SSN is valid, the name matches the SSN, the actual SSN holder is not dead, and the name/SSN combo is not on any DHS/HS "lists". The poster does not say "illegals don't apply here" If your bogus documents are good, the E-Verify system says your papers are good, you work. Biometric IDs are not common yet, E-Verify only vets the paperwork info, not the worker in his boots.
Apparently, the people creating the fake documents can use the SSNVN system to verify if the SSN is "good". The system will tell you if the SSN is on the deceased SSN holders registry.BBM
Brilliant, post mate, wish we could pin it! Using the post #406 for all future reference. As an employer, I've no doubt that using E-Verify for CR's hiring docs would not yield a different result than the SSNVS system used by employer. 4 years steady employment with same employer is the best indicator his "bogus documents are good."

FB shows CR having met IM on June 15, 2013. There was a photo of them together with his arms around her in Dec. 2014, and baby pictures in the summer of 2015. That's at least two years they were together, and I thought I had read somewhere that they both lived in the trailer for one year after baby (although I'm not sure about that). JMO I'm not "sleuthing" IM, or connecting her in any way, I'm only trying to make sense of CR's timeline.

The timeline is interesting. We've read that he worked at the Brooklyn dairy farm since 2014. Since his girlfriend lived in Brooklyn in 2013, either he lived there too, or he visited often. Between 2011 and 2013 he worked at one or more farms, and we don't know where that was. I'm guessing that police have put together a complete timeline of where he worked, when he worked, where he lived, where he visited and especially those times when he was not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23