Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't read it either, for other reasons. Just the headline makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks for posting guys. I finally read the entire article (sent to me by another WS'er).

It reads EXACTLY like the same discussions we've been having on this thread for the past few weeks. But with more verified experts! However, the same point and counterpoint Socratic discussion. Good work guys.

The article is a GREAT read, and helps to clarify many legal and defense trial strategies we all have voiced concerns over.

Everyone MUST read it, so we can all further ponder what will happen next!

Screen-Shot-2018-09-14-at-5.07.54-PM.png

Mollie Tibbetts' suspected killer Cristhian Rivera to appear in court Wednesday – YC.NEWS

An additional court filing sets Rivera's arraignment for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. in Poweshiek County.

The criminal complaint filed in the case states that Rivera was interviewed by law enforcement and "blocked his memory" after getting out of his car and coming alongside Tibbetts as she was running the night of July 18.

Arraignment date set for Cristhian Rivera

That's why I am also wondering if the farm paid him under the table?

Absolutely not, then they would not have the paperwork to show ICE, or the IRS, and would lose a major deduction!

YF farms verified a SSN in JB's name so that CR would have a W-2 in JB's identity. This to create a paper trail, so that the business can deduct from their taxes any monies paid to CR.

If anything, the farm might inflate salary paid to it's workers to increase the deduction taken directly against gross profit to increase their net, after tax profit.

Thank you, Misty.

I look for Defense to get a psych evaluation, and attempt to say that some of the chemicals used at the farm are at fault for his rage... or whatever, since he "was always such a nice, quiet, shy, good, young man".:rolleyes: And when that doesn't work, they'll say, "After years of helping bovine fornicate, he just couldn't help himself, and felt he had no other recourse given his situation."

I could never be a defense attorney.
like sampling the product too often and loading up on bovine hormones?

What I'm even more curious about is the car payment. Surely he isn't paying $270/month for that Nissan, is he? If it's the Malibu, which isn't registered under the CR name we know from LE, than what name is paying the bill, and who is it being paid to? I'm wondering if somebody else registered that car in their name (uncle, IM) and he was paying them each month. He claimed that payment, anyway.

Maybe CR was buying a surplus vehicle from YF Farms, or the Family that owned the farm? They hold the title, pay the tax, title and insurance, and collect $270 a month from his check. With a signed agreement about the sale and payment arrangement for the car, that would give the farm about the same liability for CR's actions as any "tote the note lot".

I actually have seen Iowa farmers who have an auto lot behind the barn. My farmboy wrench and ride told me this was not uncommon. I had to get a ride to the middle of no-where Iowa to look at a car listed in the Davenport, IA newspaper. The guy had 20 cars parked next to the barn, including a classic '60's Corvette. His ad was for a beater Chrysler K-car.

Farmers grow up wrenching on farm machinery, and working on cars (and aircraft) is almost second nature. My motorcycle wrench in Iowa learned to wrench on farm machinery as a kid and teen, worked on combat aircraft frames at sea for the Navy, came back home - went 1%'er and wrenched on motorcycles while smoking weed, with gusto for the rest of his life, before he also became a Chiropractor. People can be complicated.

YF farms could make a tidy profit selling its used vehicles to their migrant workers. One wonders how many months the $270 note is for? If a worker were to run off with a car, it is a stolen vehicle and might even be covered by YF's insurance. They hold the title until the note is paid off.

IMO diminished capacity would be more like that case where the guy was "sleepwalking" and killed his wife. I can't remember if they found him guilty or not. I'll try to find it. Anyone remember that?

Like Rosanne Barr, whose texting cost her a career, they were both under the influence of Ambien at the time. Or, so they claimed. Those Rx drugs can be dangerous. People should stick to the ones God gave us.

.........If a defense team wants to gain notoriety, or a PI wants to get her/his name known, they could use pro bono.

Yes, but the State still has an obligation to pay for CR's defense if he is indeed indigent, and any expenses that may arise.

If the Family runs out of money, the Dynamic Legal Duo can continue the defense for what the State would pay a public defender.

This legal couple practice in a smallish Iowa town surrounded by a large Latino population. Taking this case to its end will give them a lifetime supply of Hispanic clients, on word of mouth alone. Also, a lifetime supply of baskets of produce.

After this case, with a bit of Spanish language TV advertisement, they could have a MAJOR Personal Injury practice if they so desired.

As they are a couple, one could pay the bills while the other concentrates on CRs case. The payoff is worth it. This is practice building 101 stuff!

OTOH, if he is experienced then with whom? If it is the invisible community of illegal immigrants I doubt there's any way to ever know about it -- unless he gets talkative again.

All very interesting points, CC. I've been thinking along these same lines, re: CR's past track record (and we don't mean running or jogging here, either, btw :-( ).

What would be really fabulous would be for CR to have a cellmate who speaks his mother tongue (Sp)...someone to whom CR can unburden his frustrations. And -- who knows? -- maybe CR already has such a PBB (pal behind bars) [yes, I know that someone reading this is thinking something like "Peanut Butter-Baloney"//jk].

OTOH (are we running out of "hands" yet?), what if... (thinking out-loud here)... What if CR has been veeery carefully monitoring his words in his present location, but... has been spilling the beans to a great friend/family member South of the Border? Any possibilities that his "private" long-distance conversations have already become a part of, uh, "documentation" (i. e., useful for future reference in a courtroom setting)? Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on that possibility!

Absolutely not, then they would not have the paperwork to show ICE, or the IRS, and would lose a major deduction!

YF farms verified a SSN in JB's name so that CR would have a W-2 in JB's identity. This to create a paper trail, so that the business can deduct from their taxes any monies paid to CR.

If anything, the farm might inflate salary paid to it's workers to increase the deduction taken directly against gross profit to increase their net, after tax profit.

Do businesses get to deduct employees? They have to pay FICA, FUDA, SUDA.

Maybe CR was buying a surplus vehicle from YF Farms, or the Family that owned the farm? They hold the title, pay the tax, title and insurance, and collect $270 a month from his check. With a signed agreement about the sale and payment arrangement for the car, that would give the farm about the same liability for CR's actions as any "tote the note lot".

I actually have seen Iowa farmers who have an auto lot behind the barn. My farmboy wrench and ride told me this was not uncommon. I had to get a ride to the middle of no-where Iowa to look at a car listed in the Davenport, IA newspaper. The guy had 20 cars parked next to the barn, including a classic '60's Corvette. His ad was for a beater Chrysler K-car.

Farmers grow up wrenching on farm machinery, and working on cars (and aircraft) is almost second nature. My motorcycle wrench in Iowa learned to wrench on farm machinery as a kid and teen, worked on combat aircraft frames at sea for the Navy, came back home - went 1%'er and wrenched on motorcycles while smoking weed, with gusto for the rest of his life, before he also became a Chiropractor. People can be complicated.

YF farms could make a tidy profit selling its used vehicles to their migrant workers. One wonders how many months the $270 note is for? If a worker were to run off with a car, it is a stolen vehicle and might even be covered by YF's insurance. They hold the title until the note is paid off.

Cars and motorcycles are no longer simple. They are filled with electronics

It's possible, and I'm not that knowledgeable about this, but it seems to me the IRS would know about employees since SS#s were verified through the old SSA system. IMO, that would leave a questionable void in the farm's payroll, but not sure.

Who says the farm put him on the payroll

Thank you, Misty.

I look for Defense to get a psych evaluation, and attempt to say that some of the chemicals used at the farm are at fault for his rage... or whatever, since he "was always such a nice, quiet, shy, good, young man".:rolleyes: And when that doesn't work, they'll say, "After years of helping bovine fornicate, he just couldn't help himself, and felt he had no other recourse given his situation."

I could never be a defense attorney.

It is a DAIRY farm. What chemicals could there possibly be in that environment that your children can't be exposed to in their milk.

Including the disinfectant used on the cow's teats before the milking machine is applied, which is likely the most toxic thing State Health Inspectors would allow at a Dairy.

However, I do know of one incidence, back in the day at LSU, when a young, enthustiac Vet student was changed for life when she suffered a mishap while assisting in a cow insemination. She was under the hoisted bull, where she insisted she wanted to be, guiding him into the cow when the "misfire" occurred. She came out from under the bull, her head and face covered in white, sticky goo and left the barn crying, saying "I don't wanna be a Veterinarian no more!" I could see how something like that could scar CR for life, and make him angry and bitter. I think the young Doctor stuck with small animal care from then on.

Unfortunately for CR'S defence, most all of the necessary bull sperm for Dairy production (cows have to have a calf to lactate) now comes in frozen tubes in a Dewer flask, and the actual presence of Mr Bull is not necessary. Though I did work with a Chiropractor in Louisiana who kept one as a pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member