GUILTY IA - Zachary Meerdink for beating dog to death, Davenport, 2012

peeples

Reaction score
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/mu...cle_69e8cab6-2af6-11e1-983a-0019bb2963f4.html

Zachary Scott Meerdink

The woman with whom Meerdink had been living told police that the dog, a 4-month-old Boston terrier, had urinated on the floor.

She said Meerdink took the dog and an aluminum baseball bat outside, where he beat the dog to death with the bat and left the animal's body, police said. He then left the scene, and the woman called police.

Before even attempting a response, I'm giving myself a TO and save the mods some effort.

Before even attempting a response, I'm giving myself a TO and save the mods some effort.

It's just so hard to read about a poor dumb animal being abused or killed..so I don't always...

My question on this one is why didn't the woman call the police when he took the puppy and bat outside...why wait until he was finished?

I certainly hope she is smart enough not to let this REAL animal back in her life!

http://www.kgan.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kgan_vid_11110.shtml?wap=0

A 30-year-old man who beat a puppy to death in Davenport has been given two years in prison. Online court records say Zachary Meerdink had been convicted of animal torture.

Meerdink was sentenced on Tuesday in Scott County District Court. Police say Meerdink used a baseball bat in December to beat the 4-month-old Boston terrier. The puppy had urinated on the floor of a Davenport apartment Meerdink shared with his girlfriend.

Someone should beat him with a baseball bat. I hate people sometimes. I hope, when he gets out (should be never), he is banned from having pets or having/being around children.

I wonder if his fellow inmates view puppy killers in the same realm as pedophiles and child killers. Just a thought....

They should have beat him with a freakin baseball bat.

Wonder what his girlfriend thinks of him now. If he beats a puppy to death just think what he may do to her or kids if they pee in the diapers.

4-month old puppy isnt house broken yet. They have small bladers. I hate this creep!

You have to be cruel beyond words to kill a puppy. To me my animals are like my children. They are taught right from wrong in a loving but firm way. I have 6 kids, about 40 chickens/baby chicks,30 something goats, 2 bottle fed baby goats, 1 cat, and 2 inside dogs/4 outside dogs..and have been frustrated with all of them but would never in a million years beat them to death. Prison is too good for this dude. IMOO

This has to be a first that I am aware of. This sentence should cause some shock waves throughout the US, dont you think?

July 2013, conviction overturned:

After considering the definitions of “depraved,” we conclude “depraved intent to cause death” does not equal an “intent to cause death.”

Here, the State proved Meerdink killed the dog; however, no one saw Meerdink kill the dog, and no testimony or exhibits and no reasonable inferences or presumptions from the testimony and exhibits sufficiently prove Meerdink acted with a depraved intent to cause death.

http://www.iowacourts.gov/about_the...pinions/20130710/3-436.pdf?search=meerdink#_1

So it's legal to beat a dog to death with a bat... As long as you don't do it in a "depraved" manner. Wonderful.

Or I wonder if his conviction would have stuck with a lesser charge... Something like "animal cruelty" instead of "animal torture", maybe.

He needs that bat used on him. Then lock him up in a psychiatric hospital. PERMANENTLY!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back