Iceland's hidden elves delay road projects

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Reader, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...-icelands_hidden_elves_delay_road_project-ap/

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) — In this land of fire and ice, where the fog-shrouded lava fields offer a spooky landscape in which anything might lurk, stories abound of the "hidden folk" — thousands of elves, making their homes in Iceland's wilderness.

So perhaps it was only a matter of time before 21st-century elves got political representation.

Elf advocates have joined forces with environmentalists to urge the Icelandic Road and Coastal Commission and local authorities to abandon a highway project building a direct route from the Alftanes peninsula, where the president has a home, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer. They fear disturbing elf habitat and claim the area is particularly important because it contains an elf church.......

They occur so often that the road and coastal administration has come up with a stock media response for elf inquiries, which states that "issues have been settled by delaying the construction project at a certain point while the elves living there have supposedly moved on."........

A survey conducted by the University of Iceland in 2007 found that 62 percent of the 1,000 respondents thought it was at least possible that elves exist........

More in 3p. article....

2. Loading...

3. Elphaba

Elphaba Defying Gravity...

Reminds me of Ireland and how they have rerouted road projects so as to protect fairy habitats.

4. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Oh, I loved this story! I am pretty sure I saw it at Daily Mail with some pictures (of course).

5. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

what makes an elf a elf and not a midget? just curious. the ears?

6. fruity

fruity Active Member

Elves have magical Christmas toy making ability ;)

7. Elley Mae

Is there such a thing as a emu elf?

8. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

What do you have against gay rights? OOOOH! I get it now. :doh:

9. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

Every Christmas in Australia it's said that the emu elves emerge from the misty forests. They go down the chimney and rub their feathers under sleeping children's noses until they sneeze. They then run out and all have a good laugh. :laughcry: <------ Like that.

10. Elley Mae

I saw one while out finding a butter dish for a Christmas gift.