ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, is this ever moving fast. But, for those of you who cannot fathom how quickly a K-knife wielding, boxing-trained person could kill 4 people in 9-10 minutes, well, it happens in combat (and not just the military of one nation, but many nations).

IMO. MOO. Training for this kind of thing is something that some humans do, most of them are not going to use their skill to be a mass murderer.

It's very much like using a gun to kill, if a person trains. So while I am shocked (very) that this method was used here, it is entirely within the realm of known possibility.
I didn't have a clue how long it would take but it's clear from the timeline LE has spelled out in the PCA it didn't take very long at all. JMO.

I see this perspective but in actual school shootings there are always kids calling 911. In the recent Texas shooting, children were calling 911 begging the police to come help. So I don't think it's fair to generalize to say young people don't understand to call 911 in an emergency.

I’m absolutely NOT saying that this generation doesn’t understand that they need to call 911 in an emergency … I’m saying that this generation has been trained that staying hidden and silent is a way to avoid drawing attention to your location.

Edited for spelling

Here’s what really has my attention: how was he was already driving by their house in June when he didn’t move out there until August? Is it possible that he found their social media accounts while still living in PA (the girls’ IG’s are public), became obsessed, and chose a university for his Ph.D program that was specifically near them so he could stalk IRL instead of online? That sounds insane, but how else to explain that he was scoping out a random street in Idaho two months before his semester at WSU started?

OK Woooweeee a busy day today! I've been sick so haven't really been posting, but wanted to address the elephant in the room, so to speak. Yes. Lots of people asking the same question. (As did I.) Why wait 9 hours to call the police? Still lots of questions, but it is entirely possible that she didn't realize a crime was committed. Maybe she thought it was one of the girls having a hook-up (it's college) or just someone that came in with them from the bar or something. Happens all the time. Might have creeped her out a bit, but not enough to really worry or make a big thing in the middle of the night.

The good thing? She got a look at the guy and I'd be willing to bet she picked him out of a photo lineup at some point earlier in the investigation. Regardless of anything else, she helps the case tremendously, because, unbeknownst to ANYONE, we have an eyewitness.

Yer done BK.
Agree, it’s college. And what’s worse, in a small town which feels more secure than a large city. If I called 911 every time I saw a guy in my college house I didn’t immediately recognize, I’d never hang up the phone. Add in drinking and drugs and staying up all night and sleeping all day and grabbing rides with strangers and… yeah, people came and went constantly! This is ridiculous to me now, absolutely. My mother was right to be worried about me! But I can’t deny that college was crazy and up in the air, and a bad person in that environment could get away with, well, murder.

I am hopeful we get more details about what happened in those (many) hours between the murders and the 911 call, but putting myself into the college mindset, what we know so far doesn’t really stun me.

There has been a lot of speculation about the knife being K-bar military etc. and was BK in ROTC or have family in the military. I found this pic, (see it in the link below). In it, BK has his arm around someone who appears to be wearing a military uniform. Don't want to stretch things out of the realm of possibility, but IMO could be a connection.

I'm not commenting on the alleged drug use or anything else, just noticed the picture.

Bryan Kohberger's 'shocked' ex-classmate claims Idaho murder suspect used heroin in high school | MEAWW

LE knows what he bought at the Albertson's. The FBi wanted to look at his hands, hence the two stops in IN, say some in media but according to the LE folks in IN. I would say that the reasons they wanted to see the hands was because there were some lacerations. I guess we will definitively know at the trial because it is something they held back from the affidavit.

Respectfully, the FBI has denied having anything to do with the Indiana traffic stops.

I’m absolutely NOT saying that this generation doesn’t understand that they need to call 911 in an emergency … I’m saying that this generation has been trained that staying hidden and silent is a way to avoid drawing attention to your location.

Edited for spelling
This is an extremely interesting perspective and something I never thought about. Thank you for posting it.

I reread the affidavit. I'm thinking that X was not in the hallway. It says "also in the room" when it mentions E.
Sorry if it's already been talked about, the thread is moving fast for me to read/reply.
I'm speculating that she was in the bathroom; came out and Ethan had already been stabbed. Xana saw this so BK 'comforted' her brought her fully into the bedroom and stabbed her there.
Purely speculation on my part. It's one scenario that explains the 'I'll take care of you." comment.

AZ is the same. Emissions test is required every 2 years.
Not in PA.
I recall some of the young girls from Chi Omega saying Ted Bundy stuck out like an old fogey at some of the local bars, so they avoided him.
Speaking of Ted Bundy, his smirk in the courtroom, BK had that very same smirk when he appeared in court. IMO is was nearly identical. Eerie if you ask me.

mOO ymmv JMVHO

[…]

One new revelation in the court affidavit had a tinge of irony: After enrolling in the Ph.D. program at Washington State in August, Mr. Kohberger had applied for an internship. In an essay as part of the application, he described his interest in helping rural police departments collect and analyze data as part of public safety operations. The internship he applied for was at the Pullman Police Department, whose officers would wind up helping in the investigation of the murders.

Thank you so much for this. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the timeline
Thank you for this!

What does the last sentence mean in the 5:32 pm - 5:36 pm entry:

~5:32 p.m. - 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being in the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred.

Are they saying that at 5:36 pm, his phone turns off but they know he’s in the same area that he drove to immediately after the homicides? For 3 hours??

Sounds like he was disposing evidence, or going back to move whatever evidence he had dropped off earlier that morning to a better spot (and trying to find that knife sheath).

I'm really curious that we have heard next to nothing from BK's childhood and teenage and college friends, except for that one person he went to high school with.

Or even from anyone who must have simply known him as a child, a teen, and a college student.

Maybe he was the type who didn't have friends, but people had to have known him.

He had to have had teachers at a minimum.
Based on how he's been described, I don't find it super surprising. It seems like he could be pretty unpleasant to be around, so I imagine he struggled to maintain friendships. MOO And also in light of how anyone connected to the case has been doxxed and treated on social media, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to step forward and say they knew him well.

The affidavit is heart breaking. Leaving questions open from how he targeted this home and certain people is a great reminder that every person has to be on the defensive in keeping themselves safe. College areas are often places where people move freely, leave doors unlocked, and have lots of people coming and going especially at night and on weekends. It is a shame that evil exists. Peace to all who survived this attack in their home and the victims and their families.

I am left wondering if he knew that there were often late night deliveries to this house because what are the chances that an UberEats delivery arrives just before he strikes? He seems to have known where his targets would be in the house, had he been on the property before or been peeping? Had he used police scanners or other information to know what areas were party areas when he first moved there? He knew enough to not stalk on his college campus and became very familiar with this neighborhood. Had he had encounters at the sorority house or a frat house with people in this neighborhood?

On the murderer himself, he studied internet/cloud aspects of criminology.... yet he carries his phone and doesn't think about all of the data that can be extracted from cell towers even if he shuts off his device (I am old and haven't studied any of this stuff but I know that.) Doesn't think about his car being seen on video cameras in the area. And, lastly, he thinks that by changing his plates he might not be found out. There is an odd disconnect. I have continually thought that he was feeding his predilection by taking classes or studying serial killers. I do think he was trying to satisfy his urges by getting criminals to give him data on their crimes and emotional states in his online survey. His neighbors said he was often up late doing things in his apt. and now we know he was stalking this neighborhood. I wonder if he stalked in other areas. I don't believe he thought he would get away with this and would be able to strike again. But, I hope we will find out more about what made him tick so we can get ahead of the next monster.

FROM CNN (Roommate who survived Idaho student killings saw figure dressed in black clothing and a mask, affidavit says | CNN):
The source was briefed on observations made by investigators during four days of surveillance leading up to Kohberger’s arrest.

The surveillance team was given two missions, according to multiple law enforcement sources: to keep eyes on Kohberger so they could arrest him as soon as a warrant was issued, and to try and obtain an object that would yield a DNA sample from Kohberger which could then be compared to the DNA evidence found at the crime scene.

The source said in one instance prior to the suspect’s arrest, Kohberger was observed by authorities leaving his Pennsylvania family home around 4 a.m. and putting garbage bags in the neighbors’ garbage bins.

And agents were then able to recover the garbage both from the Kohberger family’s trash bins and what was observed being placed into the neighbors’ bins, the law enforcement source said.

Then on Friday, a Pennsylvania State Police SWAT team moved in on the Kohberger family home, breaking down the door and breaking through windows in what is known as a “dynamic entry” – a tactic used in rare cases to arrests “high risk” suspects, the source added.

Quote from your post:

"I don't believe he thought he would get away with this and would be able to strike again. But, I hope we will find out more about what made him tick so we can get ahead of the next monster."

I think that LE will look into any possible unsolved murders from any places he was living in the past.

Remember Silence Of The Lambs? The Anthony Hopkins Jodie Foster movie?

From this movie it was pointed out in the FBI suspect profiling that a killer often commits their first murder near their home, near a familiar area, or towards a person they live near and often see.

Also, that killers tend to escalate their murders.

Point is, BK killed 4 people and it is not beyond the realm of reason that these 4 are not his first murders.
If so, this could be why he was bold enough to attack 4 people rather than just one.

Another thing I believe investigators will look for is if BK ever threatened to kill anyone before or showed any violence in his past or hurt animals.

It is already coming out that he was "weird" towards women and called one a "b@#$%" who turned down his advances.

I suspect the trial will reveal some interesting things from his past. Maybe even from his childhood.

I agree. I’ve been wondering if he’s suicidal and, given his interests, figured this would be his preferred “means”. Very bizarre that he appears so calm in the courtroom, and almost enjoying himself!
I believe BK is deeply unwell. He has been sleep deprived, (his neighbour said he was up a lot at night, classmates said he looked exhausted) and I believe he may have an eating disorder such as orthorexia (major weight loss, gaunt appearance, strict diet). Add to that an awkward man who just moved cross country and started a demanding new academic program of study... and you've got the ingredients for a psychotic break. JMO, YMMV etc.

Thank you for this!

What does the last sentence mean in the 5:32 pm - 5:36 pm entry:

~5:32 p.m. - 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being in the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred.

Are they saying that at 5:36 pm, his phone turns off but they know he’s in the same area that he drove to immediately after the homicides? For 3 hours??

Sounds like he was disposing evidence, or going back to move whatever evidence he had dropped off earlier that morning to a better spot (and trying to find that knife sheath).
That’s what I interpreted although I feel the way it’s written is a bit confusing IMO

Here’s what really has my attention: how was he was already driving by their house in June when he didn’t move out there until August? Is it possible that he found their social media accounts while still living in PA (the girls’ IG’s are public), became obsessed, and chose a university for his Ph.D program that was specifically near them so he could stalk IRL instead of online? That sounds insane, but how else to explain that he was scoping out a random street in Idaho two months before his semester at WSU started?
I can't speak to BK's choices in schools, but it's usually the case that PhD students go wherever they are accepted - many students apply to 10 schools and only get an offer from only 1 or 2. He probably applied to WSU, and other programs, around Dec. 2021 and Jan. 2022 and received offers / acceptance letters that spring. WSU may have been the only school he got into; maybe not, but he certainly couldn't have counted on an acceptance from them or any other funded PhD program. You can't really "choose" where you get your PhD -- the program chooses you.

Agree, it’s college. And what’s worse, in a small town. If I called 911 every time I saw a guy in my college house I didn’t immediately recognize, I’d never hang up the phone. Add in drinking and drugs and staying up all night and sleeping all day and grabbing rides with strangers and… This is ridiculous to me now, absolutely. My mother was right to be worried about me! But I can’t deny that college was crazy and up in the air, and a bad person in that environment could get away with, well, murder.
Dang!
I went to college in a small town.
This never happened to me. We had parties.
Big old keg parties and had them once a month.
There were boyfriends.
Neighbor boys/friends.
But that's it. No one hung around much after a certain time unless he was sleeping over.
No one showed up after midnight unless he came home with one of us, but then again it was only for a few minutes.
But that was 45 years ago, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle