ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they are keeping a good eye on Brian. I worry..also I hope they are more careful than they have ever been because he is in all probability a highly dangerous homicidal maniac and should be super maxed.. they emptied an entire airport just to take him for a bathroom break. I just worry..It's a small town and I have visions of him escaping through ceiling tiles or out a window like Bundy..maybe I have an overactive imagination..but he is so dangerous and has shown what he is capable of, murdering 4 people including a healthy young male in 10-15 minutes time. Thats no joke.

praying for the safety of LE in Moscow ID.

mOO
Only thing I worry about regarding BK is him killing himself, denying justice. He's just a dorky guy - not some super-villain.

This means that the way that they found his DNA and matched it to the sheath (which enabled them to arrest him) is not allowed to be discussed as part of the actual trial in court. I'd find that odd though. It could be something to do with how they took his DNA from the bin but I thought this was admissible in the last few years especially since genetic genealogy tracing is accepted now. Either way, the fact that his DNA is on the sheath will be evidenced at trial I'm sure. The PCA is the probable cause affidavit. It's basically a statement made by the police to a judge to say why they believe there is probable cause to arrest the suspect. The judge then grants an arrest warrant

They won't need to discuss that part at trial and it might even confuse some people in MSM and on the jury. I mean, they could, but they might not.

They now have the guy who matches the DNA on the very knife sheath left near a victim of a knife murder by a particular knife.
I was thinking today, it’s so unfortunate that they didn’t get him while he was still in WA with the knock-on-the-door, “we see you have a white Elantra, would you mind answering some questions for us?” tactic. He probably wouldn't have cooperated, but he might have, and if so, they could have locked down his story.

Now the prosecution will likely never have the benefit of any interrogation, and BK gets the advantage of all the discovery to come up with his defense.

Some of you may have followed the Jason Young trial(s) for the murder of his wife, Michelle Young, in NC (2006). JY never, ever spoke to LE in any respect about his wife’s death, not even a “oh no, what happened?!?” Then he shockingly (to the prosecution) testified in his defense. He was eventually convicted, but there was at least one mistrial, appeals, etc. It was torture for her family. The defense tried to imply that the victim’s sister had something to do with it (which was the cruelest, dirtiest thing) and he still has zealous supporters.

Anyway, the point is, wouldn't it have been wonderful to have the benefit of his answers to a “routine questioning” back in WA with which to help nail him if he’s the guilty party (which I don’t doubt)? But at least they’ve got him now, and hopefully we’re only aware of the tip of the iceberg of evidence against him, upon which they will still gather more.

I agree with you - but how do you know this didn't happen? Source?

There's never been affirmation or denial of whether LE approached BK at any point in time after the murders. Do you know for a fact that he wasn't turned in by tip, say, and then contacted? And then refused to cooperate?

I hope they are keeping a good eye on Brian. I worry..also I hope they are more careful than they have ever been because he is in all probability a highly dangerous homicidal maniac and should be super maxed.. they emptied an entire airport just to take him for a bathroom break. I just worry..It's a small town and I have visions of him escaping through ceiling tiles or out a window like Bundy..maybe I have an overactive imagination..but he is so dangerous and has shown what he is capable of, murdering 4 people including a healthy young male in 10-15 minutes time. Thats no joke.

mOO
I hear you but TBH you give this guy too much credit!

He made so many mistakes. Especially for a criminology student, yikes! He left his DNA and a digital trail so I doubt he has the mind to escape anything. IMHO maybe more like a mental health watch type guard IYKWIM

BF also could have been the one to call friends over. Or DM had friends planning to come over and she slept late due to the events of the night before - sounds like a lot of people had access to the house

Also IMO unconscious was just a 911 term - "are they conscious? no?" rather than necessarily a term the 911 caller led with. They might have been pretty clearly dead but that's not the 911 officer's duty to declare them dead, EMS will still hustle over there and see if anyone can be saved
If the Moscow police were being truthful with their initial release of info, on their website they stated,

"On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from one of the surviving roommates’ cell phones inside the residence. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before Moscow Police arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor." King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

This states that they called their friends because they thought someone was passed out/unconscious. Which again makes me wonder how they knew someone was passed out. It means someone had to have found the victims or at least one of the victims, right? Or it means DM knew something bad had happened and waited in her room until noon. If DM thought nothing bad happened then what made them call their friends then the police (again unless they found a body.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but not through conventional law enforcement methods. When you put your phone in airplane mode it disables wifi, Bluetooth, NFC and cellular network connections. Essentially all the radios are off. What is not off is GPS. You can block GPS by putting your phone in a small Faraday Cage that has mesh small enough to block 1.6GHz signals.
Something he could well know about because of his interest in cloud technology etc?

I agree with this. I don’t think he went in there planning to murder 4 people. I think he had one intended victim (M) and the other 3 were not ‘planned’. I think he thought he would slip in, head upstairs to one room, and then back out again. I don’t think he expected anyone to be with M or anyone else to be awake.
I just think that at any time, finding more people, etc, he could have just left- not killed anyone- just fled the scene - no murders, nice academic career... but, not what killers do. IMO

Yes they did. I think they must have thought it necessary to ensure no one else inside gets hurt/the suspect doesn’t have time to hold them hostage or hurt them or kill himself. Better to be safe than sorry when you’re arresting someone accused of killing 4 people and basically having little to lose. Idk who pays for it. My guess is if law enforcement contributes anything it wouldn’t cover the full amount.
Alas, 'the King can do no wrong' ...
Best bet for BK's parents is latter's home owner's insurance policy.
Coverage(s) for:
- public disorder'?
- civil commotion?
- excessive force/tumultuous entry by government force(s) occurring in the course of otherwise lawful activities?

After all, Ins.Co. has other clients/prospects in this upper-scale 'hood + deeper pockets + potentially valuable PR for nickel/dime damages, even if gratuitous.
Nay :D ?!?

Notwithstanding:
Homeowners Go Civil:
Contingent fee/ not a nickel out of your pocket/ three respondents, at least, incl. FBI*; PA+their SP, and last.b.n.least, local LE.
*And, 'fersure, the Feds will reimburse any entity for costs/damages just to get off the front page.
Sorry...
... not.
It is what it is...uh nay...
It should be what it should be :)

All the above: my opinion + wishful thinking.

Does this chronology make the most sense, you think?

1. BK enters targeting either Maddie or Kaylee
2. Goes upstairs and kills them
3. The noise gets the attention of Xana who is still awake
4. Back on the main floor BK encounters Xana, backs her (chases her?) to her bedroom where she is killed and so is Ethan
5. BK then turns around and exits through the kitchen to the sliding door (and it's when he's on this route the roommate sees him).

The one question I have is why there wasn't a lot more noise when Xana first encountered BK or signs of some sort of struggle in the living room. Her bedroom is out of the way, down a hall from the living room. You wouldn't naturally pass the room coming down the stairs if you were going to exit through the sliding doors. But if there was some sort of encounter at the bottom of the stairs or in the living room, I feel like it would have been more audible to the roommate (who said she thought she heard Xana crying and a male voice saying he would help her and not much else).

Although, I also think when the roommate heard that Xana must have been in the living room or near the stairs, because I don't think the housemate would have been able to hear that if Xana was in her own bedroom (and the roommate was in her bedroom with the door closed) given the distance between the two rooms and the layout of the second floor.

Maybe what happened was Xana encountered BK in the living room or kitchen and he was threatening her with the knife telling her to be quiet - and that's why there wasn't a noisy altercation?

I have to say that the affidavit and the interior tour of the house that was posted have thrown off some of my priors because the details are all a bit different than i'd previously assumed.
I thought about this too and we may never know, but this is my pure speculation. I agree with 1-3. After that, I think X may have heard something upstairs but she wasn't sure what it was. We know both M and K had boyfriends. We know they were very social, they went out to bars that night, they were chatting at the food truck.

Maybe X heard something upstairs but first thought it could just be a friend or a late-night visitor for M or K. X heads back into her room and that's when she says "there's a man here" to E (or just outloud). BK coming down the stairs hears X moving around and walks down the hall to their bedroom where he encounters X - either in the door frame or in the room.

I don't think X/E was BK's target so it is quick and then he turns to leave.

The one thing that I am confused about is if DM heard crying from X's room as she saw BK leaving. As in, BK left while X was still crying. Makes your stomach turn thinking about how unnecessary and cruel it all is. Just pointless evil.

BF also could have been the one to call friends over. Or DM had friends planning to come over and she slept late due to the events of the night before - sounds like a lot of people had access to the house

Also IMO unconscious was just a 911 term - "are they conscious? no?" rather than necessarily a term the 911 caller led with. They might have been pretty clearly dead but that's not the 911 officer's duty to declare them dead, EMS will still hustle over there and see if anyone can be saved
If the Moscow police were being truthful with their initial release of info, on their website they stated,

"On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from one of the surviving roommates’ cell phones inside the residence. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before Moscow Police arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor." King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

This states that they called their friends because they thought someone was passed out/unconscious. Which again makes me wonder how they knew someone was passed out. It means someone had to have found the victims or at least one of the victims, right? Or it means DM knew something bad had happened and waited in her room until noon. If DM thought nothing bad happened then what made them call their friends then the police (again unless they found a body.)

But that's the only thing that makes sense to me. He didn't see her, or she would be dead. Imo.
Agree but it doesn’t make sense to walk right past someone in a house and not see them. Even in the dark. Very unlikely to me. There has to be a reason she was spared. I keep going back to how were these four linked that the two survivors were not?

mOO
I agree about small town, visions of him trying to escape ... especially after seeing him in court with no handcuffs on ... what's with that? I would expect him to be shackled in court.

On Page 4 of the AA it states that DM described the PERP as “not very muscular, but athletically built” (direct quote of the AA, not DM). That seems odd to me. While it certainly is possible that someone could be athletically built but not muscular, it seems like a fine distinction to be made, particularly under the circumstances – in the dark or semi-dark, about a person presumably clothed from head to toe, and, possibly in multiple layers given the weather, and by a frightened 20/21-year-old who only saw the PERP for a few seconds.

I wonder what caused DM to describe the person in this way or that led the LE to summarize it like that.

MOO
I would suggest that, to help her, she was likely asked a series of questions to develop a picture. Short? Fat? Tall? Thin? Athletic? Muscular? Facial features? That sort of thing. So the report could put what she answered to those questions rather than a direct quote. MOO.

Also, just a note to say how proud I am of DM. I have kids this age. I also professionally work with a lot of trauma. When your brain goes to fight, flight, or freeze, you don't get a choice. It is an automatic response to a life threatening situation. Many people can't even recite their address to 911 in that state. The PCA said basically that she was frozen in shock (not exact) when she saw him. Her mind likely went to survival mode and whatever she did worked. Because of her actions, she survived and was able to give a description that changed everything. I don't know what else she did at the moment or for the hours after, but whatever she did was right and she has now stood for her dear friends in helping identify their killer. She had no real opportunity to save them given the circumstances but, because of her, I believe there will be justice. You cannot ever fairly second guess someone who has experienced such a life threatening situation and lives to stand for those who did not. God bless her.

Hello all. Long time reader buy made an account because this case hits close to home for a handful
or reasons. I did want to share a story about an incident that happened to me a few years ago just to illustrate that you honestly have NO idea how you would react in this situation and the people criticizing DM are killing me. On what planet does a 19 year old female, living in an extremely safe college town (per LE) think noise at 4am in her shared party house and seeing a man she doesn’t recognize = 4 of my closest friends have just been murdered?

I’m a professional woman in my 40’s (mom, husband, kids) and live in what you would consider an affluent suburb (leaning toward rural with 1+ acre lots) town. A few years ago I went for a run around 10am on a regular Tuesday. I was running down a main road at the edge of town where houses lined one side and forest lined the other. This was not a desolate road, there is traffic and borders a much more populated town.

As i was running a truck pulled up beside me and a somewhat friendly guy asked where the closest gas station. I stood back and told him to follow the road to one or he could turn around and follow another route. He thank me and continued down the road.

I changed direction and headed back on the same road (my planned route) and maybe 5 min later he had done the same and stopped me again. Said he was confused with my directions and asks again to the closest station. I repeated what i said and he thanked me and took off. I thought it was unusual but figured he was flirting or confused and I was on mine 8 and tired - it was late winter and I was getting cold so I was just focused on getting home and warm.

Until half a mile up the road, i saw he had pulled over to the side and was standing standing leaning on the hood of the truck. My initial
thought was sort of ‘huh? wonder why he stopped again?’ I wasn’t exactly scared, but it made me nervous. I crossed to the other side of the road and there happened to be a street into a neighborhood that I took instead of staying straight and running by him. I looked at him as I turned and he looked at me, waved and said ‘hey, good to see you again’. The neighborhood houses didn’t start for a bit so the road in was just woods. I looked back once i was in the sidestreet and he was back in his truck slowly following me.

At this point I knew this was not normal but I was confused and my mind sort of went blank because I couldn’t understand why someone would follow me. It didn’t make any sense to me. I was running like I always do. I sort of froze there in the middle of the street looking at him and trying to understand what was going on. He stopped the truck, got out, and started to jog towards me and by that point I was terrified and my mind just told me to RUN.
He followed me down the street and though one yard, maybe two, then stopped. I ran through a few more and then stopped and hid in a child’s playhouse in someone’s back yard. At that point I called my husbands cell which went to voicemail so I left him a sobbing message that I was chased and scared and didn’t know what to do. I waited in that little house freezing my *advertiser censored* off and scared out of mind for about an hour and then I ran home and locked myself inside. I look back at that day and can’t understand why I didn’t take a picture of the truck and license plate or call 911 or scream or bang on someone’s door. Even when I was hiding in the playhouse terrified my mind kept questioning if I made up with happened or it wasn’t as scary as I had thought. Maybe the guy just needed directions? The idea that someone may have been trying to take me or hurt me is just so hard for me to wrap my head around. It doesn’t ‘fit’ into my life. I ended up reporting the incident to the police but was beyond humiliated that I couldn’t think more clearly or strategically in the moment.

So, please be gentle to DM. We know a tiny portion of what happened that night and we should all hope to god we never experience a fraction of what she has had - and will have to process.
OMG. This is terrifying. I'm so glad you're OK. Several times I've walked up to random guys on the street and asked them to pretend they're my boyfriend so I could get to the subway safely. I can't imagine how frightening this would be when there wasn't a nearby diner or bodega to pop into to get away from a freak. (And I completely understand everything DM did, would never criticize her for any of it, and hope she gets the support she will need.)

Agree but it doesn’t make sense to walk right past someone in a house and not see them. Even in the dark. Very unlikely to me. There has to be a reason she was spared. I keep going back to how were these four linked that the two survivors were not?
If she was just peering out through a crack in her door rather than actually being fully out in the house, it's plausible to me. Even if he was in her line of sight he may have been in some mental state that his job was done and time to GTFO of the scene... basically tunnel vision rather than looking around and seeing DM through a crack in her door. He was extremely fast based on the time stamps of the car moving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie