ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I thought it was said to be the student health center. I need to fact check that, but it's not the most pressing issue in this case.

I thought the article said "most students didn't come back and keep their appointments," I assumed it was a student health center.

MOO.
[…]

Four days later — when many students in the college town of Pullman, Washington, were canceling their appointments and leaving the community amid fears of a killer on the loose — Kohberger attended a routine medical appointment near his apartment.

A receptionist at the office, who asked Insider not to name her or the business because discussing the interaction might violate medical privacy laws, told Insider that Kohberger was especially friendly at his appointment, prompting the staff to take notice.

Kohberger was so friendly, in fact, her boss commented on it.

"She said, 'He's so nice and charming' — she never says that about anybody," the receptionist told Insider. "I was like, 'Yeah, he really was.'"

Well as the items are being retained by the defense, it looks to me as though his defense are going to be running an entire new investigation... I think it's absurd but the only chance they have and it will necessitate discrediting the victims, all of them, one by one.
That might take the line of they were friends with/slept with/entertained bad people who are more likely to have killed them than our client..
I don't think that attacking the victims in any great way is how the defense will go in this case.

I see them attacking the State's evidence. They will try to convey to the jury that the DNA evidence was contaminated either during collection or the lab. Therefore it's not reliable.

They can say the cell phone evidence is weak, it doesn't place the defendant at the crime scene and the video of a white Elantra could be someone else's.

Things that will not anger the jury but maybe cause them to doubt the State's case. JMO.

This article says is was a routine medical appt. He could have had cuts and bruises checked out, but it appears the appt was made prior to the murders and not for a more urgent matter.

Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger attended a routine medical appointment in the days after the killings and 'charmed' staff by being 'chatty'.

So BK has routine medical appointments, with a follow up appointment scheduled for the spring semester. Wonder what he was being treated for and/or monitored for.

I don't feel sad for him- if in fact he is the killer, he brutally sadistically, violently and horribly butchered four innocent young people. I will save my sadness for these four people, whose lives were cut short by a maniac.
It is a complex issue. It is entirely possible that our descendants will think the construct of how we deal with crime today as barbaric as we think hanging bread thieves was in the past.
Brain scans and even theoretical physics are kind of telling us now that free will is just a perception. That the idea that we decide things maybe simply be an illusion. That our brains "decision making" centers light up after we actually decide something, not before. And what our brains are really doing is simply creating a narrative to explain what we did to our conscious selves, that makes us think we make decisions. And that everything that peopel do that is bad or anti-soocial, whether it be generic assh0lery of cutting in line, or nation level mass geocide, can be explained by processes no one is deciding, be they social or varying degrees of deficiencies in certain parts of the brain.

I alternate between supporting full on retributive justice, wanting to see people like the accused put in a room with the fathers so they can rip him to shreds in the most prolonged way possible. And at other times I think this person, and all violent criminals, have damage in brain he is no more responsible for than any other type of injury. Evolution after all has experimented with the brain, mainly as a dimorphous species with the male brain. It is the core reason why evolutionary biologists explain why mental illness has not been removed by natural selection. For example tendency along a scale to Asperger's type may enable outlier genius to hyper focus to the benefit of the group, or demonstrated tendency toward certain level of psychopathy among poltical leaders (left, right and center) may also benefit the group they lead.

I am sure I will tick some people off with that. But the legal issues of criminals' responsibility and mental illness are just constructs that have moved around over time.

Hoping he does not wave his preliminary hearing, as that will be our last chance to really receive information prior to trial, is that correct? That and the schedule is about all we can expect to hear tomorrow.

I wonder what he'll choose. Does he want us all (and the victims' families - including his own?) to know what he did? Or not?

Has it kicked in for him that he's now affecting his own mom, his own dad? Or not?

I agree it's the most important part of tomorrow's hearing and even as much as I like to wager, I have no clue on this one. It will be telling, in any case (and of course, he might be persuaded by his lawyers - who may say "skip it" because of the impact on the jury).

But if he's determined to be famous and co-write a book, he might want the preliminary. Or he might want it to keep his mind occupied. Nothing worse than leaving grad school/computers/libraries cold turkey. IMO.

Good questions.

I think he didn't really care and does not currently care about getting away with it. He felt cowmpelled to do it and while he did not want to be caught, it wasn't his top priority.

I think he wants the notoriety (he thinks academia awards fame and fortune, as that's what he's seen in some of his prior experiences, but in fact, it's just a long hard grind to get a public job as a criminologist - or an academic job; to my knowledge, there are no freelance criminologists who haven't already written books and sold scripts, etc).

I think he knew he'd caught and prepared for this phase of defending himself in advance.
(Snipped for brevity)
I agree that he felt compelled...no doubt. As to not caring about getting caught....he took actions that would indicate the contrary. When he FLED to PA, he took extraordinary action to clean the car up...and it wasn't his first attempt to do so. Then you have him changing the plates on the car as well. MOO

Respectfully, agree to disagree.
That's cool. I've worked in healthcare and the receptionists in the hospitals and physician offices I worked with would certainly frown upon the receptionists sharing patient information. Just my experience.

You snipped one sentence of my post, leaving no context. My point is HIPPA should not constrain all free speech, especially this receptionist's observations about his demeanor.

That's only my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree.
No worries. Snipped your post because it was long, no other reason. I'll edit my post to acknowledge the snip.

Several people here are mentioning that Ethan's belongings, including a set of golf clubs are being held by the defense. I know that we have seen a set of clubs through one of the windows at one point, but it is very possible that there were other clubs there besides Ethan's. Some, or all of the girls may have had clubs as well. Perhaps his clubs were in Xana's bedroom, and got blood spatter on them, or they may have been in his Jeep. What I find more puzzling is why Ethan's family has two vehicles being held. I get that Ethan's Jeep was there, and it makes sense perhaps that it is being held, though I thought at least some of the vehicles had been returned to the families, but I assume the other vehicle belongs to one of his siblings, who probably came over only moments before LE arrived on Sunday morning. Or was it already at the home on Saturday evening as well? That seems very unlikely to me. Any thoughts on why it is being held? JM
Maybe I missed something. But why two vehicles?

I have been looking but haven’t yet found the Brian Entin clip referenced in this post

Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16'
ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16

snip:
The car behind Ethan's jeep was his brothers. Brian E said it as they were towing. I bet they did that often i.e. driveway musical locations, he was confident blocking his brothers car in drive. Blue was Xena, RR is Kaylee, jeep is EC, dark car behind is other triplet who showed up just before 911 call. Not sure about other cars. My guess is lowest level roommates didn't have cars on campus??

You got a link for that @AliVada ?

I also remember reading that Ethan and Hunter shared that Jeep and the car behind it was Maizie’s which makes the most sense to me. At any rate I think we can speculate two of those cars belong to the Chapin’s.

Can’t find links for either answer so MOO

Good questions.

I think he didn't really care and does not currently care about getting away with it. He felt cowmpelled to do it and while he did not want to be caught, it wasn't his top priority.

I think he wants the notoriety (he thinks academia awards fame and fortune, as that's what he's seen in some of his prior experiences, but in fact, it's just a long hard grind to get a public job as a criminologist - or an academic job; to my knowledge, there are no freelance criminologists who haven't already written books and sold scripts, etc).

I think he knew he'd caught and prepared for this phase of defending himself in advance.

Why? I have two theories. Either part of him realized he really needs to be caught and he's daring Society to catch him (meaning: he knows he can't control himself and that he's a monster, so we need to stop him).

OR, he is hoping merely for book deals and fame, as you suggest. Maybe both theories can be right at the same time.

I want to add that many criminals express some degree of relief at being contained and prevented from any further evil actions. This is usually only one of the things they tell themselves.

In a weird way, we're seeing a generational shift in how mass murder/potential serial killing works or gets set into motion. "You're okay, you're fine" as his mantra (if true) is not what Random Maniac Murderers were saying to themselves back in the 1950's, as far as I can tell. He's something like Attias or Rodger (and he knows this). It's not a suicide-by-cop situation, it's a "containment by state prison" kind of situation.
this conflation/failure to distinguish, or care to distinguish, between fame and infamy is also in the literature considered a one of the core aspects of school shooters. It is why the social scientists and behavior scientists recommend that hte killer be noted as little as possible, since it fulfils a desired outcome of the mass killer, and makes the subsequent mass killers more certain they will achieve notoriety they crave.

These are generally people in whom both narcissism and exaggerated ego coexist with deep sense of insignificance. Those opposing views are solved by committing a heinous act. The killer is no longer insignficant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305