ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

A black glove, a stained pillow and receipts from Walmart and Marshalls were among items seized from the apartment of a criminology major accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students, according to court documents released Tuesday.

Among the items investigators took from the Pullman, Washington, apartment of Bryan Kohberger were possible hair strands, a pillow with a "reddish/brown stain," a computer tower, a "nitrite type" black glove, receipts, mattress covers and an Amazon Fire TV stick, a search warrant unsealed by the Whitman County Superior Court says.

I understand that and read the warrant, my earlier point was just that a pair of shoes (Vans or otherwise) were not recovered from the apartment per the warrant, meaning they have yet to find them.

View attachment 396199
Was there also a search warrant for the parent's home ? Also, They saw him disposing garbage in the neighbor's trash can. Wonder what came of that.

He’s just an idiot who thought they’d never find him I think. It’s remarkable, how someone who studied things like this, scouted the house, and planned for months, did this.

I think he knew he was done when he left the sheath, and tried to cover it up. But he made more mistakes, and forgot items.

Idiot.
Obviously not being killers, he comes across as really dumb to us.
But the media has tried to make so much of how brilliant his studies were and that his teachers loved him. He comes across to me as a school kid who thought he could take a couple courses on criminology and become the worlds smartest serial killer. It all just doesn’t add up.

I’m not sure if there have been studies done on the accuracy of comparing hair structure/microscopic appearance of samples obtained from animals. Unsure how that evidence would hold up in court. Obviously they’ve done studies in humans and it’s considered a good/strong association.

I can't find any (yet) for animals - but yes, if it can be done for humans by this one scientists (lord knows what techniques he used), it can be done again. But it's usually a while before it becomes common forensic practice.

OTOH, it's clear that they can establish lineage from dogs without a hair root. But I can't find anything that says they can narrow it down to one dog. Which is why I'm saying that if people expect ALL evidence to point like a neon sign to a murderer, then we'll see fewer convictions. In this case, I would hope that Society can keep track of BK's name change and where he decides to go to school next.

Perhaps a SKU number?
Exactly. Who in the world has ever shopped at Marshall's or Kohl's or Ross or Walmart and *not* had a SKU number on the receipt?

Truly interested in knowing.

Well sure. We don't have top sheets at my house. But NO sheets (or TOWELS) at all? (The towels are a big deal for me). He showered without towels and this is a new thing?

Okay. So tear up the plumbing (which should be done anyway).

No pillow cases, no sheets (but mattress covers, which are not as easily washed as a bottom sheet, which is why we have bottom sheets). No TOWELS. Apparently no dark clothing, either.

The more that's missing from a potential crime scene, the more the investigators should use simple and basic procedures (such as taking out the plumbing - which has been helpful in many other cases).

I hope he ends up embarrassed by what they *do* find on his mattress cover. And having it revealed to the world that he doesn't use towels (or a shower curtain). Women have had their underwear taken and analyzed (as rape victims - and indeed, I think that's why the defense wanted those mattresses from 1122 King).

Analyze HIS underwear. Or no underwear, either? No dark clothes, no underwear, no towels. If I'm a juror, this does not remove all doubt, but it sure is hinky and makes everything else look even worse. Did he never wash his hands and dry them off? Did he use paper towels to dry? Towels WITHOUT blood evidence would help him, but no towels at all is weird.
With the state police and the FBI assisting, surely surely surely they went after the plumbing. I mean, if we're all sitting here as amateurs clamoring for the plumbing, in the name of all that's holy, I will despair in nobody in three groups of professionals thinks to check the plumbing in BOTH houses.

Imo It sounds like they forsee an issue with either the way they collected/processed the DNA.
Or with the DNA sample itse

If and only if those extraordinary lab-based results are part of crime lab kit and analysis in Washington and Idaho.

Of course, if the hair is big enough, someone can send it to Santa Cruz for further analysis. Keep in mind that the prof involved is doing research on full genomes.

For sure there are many labs that are looking at mtDNA in rootless hair, but will that be enough? Because what I read here daily is that apparently some people will still doubt. If the match is 99.9995%, is that enough for reasonable doubt? Not for me, if there's other circumstantial evidence of equal or higher value. But for some, DNA is a big deal and if it isn't perfectly matched, they will be doubtful.

It's sad, because there was a time when people could just use a microscope and see the exceptional and impossible-to-explain similarities between various bio-samples. I hope Murphy makes forensic history, I really do.

At the very least, they should be able to put the animal hair directly in Murphy's family tree. Will that be enough? (IF the hair is from a labradoodle? Which I bet it is).
The public is requiring more and more irrefutable proof these days and even 99.999% of anything isn't good enough. I don't understand how we have come from a "reasonable doubt" to you must prove your case conclusively, with all biological, electronic, histrionic, and phycological evidence before a jury can say, "We the Jury find the defendant guilty." IMO the Watershed has swung so far. Truly sad IMO

Was there also a search warrant for the parent's home ? Also, They saw him disposing garbage in the neighbor's trash can. Wonder what came of that.
I'm sure there were additional search warrants in PA, and for the Elantra, but they aren't included in the document released today. They did, however, include his WSU office (alongside his WA apartment, in the warrant released today), but apparently did not find / seize anything from it.

IMO the knife is somewhere off road on the Geness ID route he took back to Pullman after the murders.

He realized the sheath was missing went back to the King Road house at 9:12am and checked where he parked. Went back home and continued clean up. At 12:45 he is down in Clarkton returning the clothing items he had laundered to Walmart (and Marshalls??). Later that day he turns phone back off and travels same route he took after murders to see if he could find where he tossed knife to check (hoping upon hope) it was lost at that spot.

he clearly would use gloves during the murder but he easily could have not being using gloves when he first took the knife out of the sheath at an earlier time...fully confident he could wipe it and ditch with the knife later. He didn't count on a victim tearing it off or a cheap Dickies belt loop not holding or clip not holding.
What would be the point of returning the clothes when he could just ditch them? I can’t see him going through all that trouble, possibly being seen on video going to a laundromat, on video returning the clothes, witnesses to both activities, etc. He’s careless, but I don’t see the point. moo.

True. However, personal freedom issues are irrelevant to building an overall pattern of behavior in a murder case. The entirety of all evidence is what is important.

Of course. But the post I was replying to said he had no business being in that area months before. I just don't see that being a strong indicator of anything. If he was living in PA and drove out to ID just to circle around that block, sure. But given the proximity between Pullman and Moscow, I'd bet many residents of Pullman also pinged in areas close to the King St home. The only damaging part of that, IMO, is the evening/morning of the murder because it places him there. A good defense attorney can explain the incidents in August and the fall away.

MOO

I’m not sure if there have been studies done on the accuracy of comparing hair structure/microscopic appearance of samples obtained from animals. Unsure how that evidence would hold up in court. Obviously they’ve done studies in humans and it’s considered a good/strong association.
There have been cases in which DNA was run on animal hairs. :)

ETA: Example

Last edited:
Of course. But the post I was replying to said he had no business being in that area months before. I just don't see that being a strong indicator of anything. If he was living in PA and drove out to ID just to circle around that block, sure. But given the proximity between Pullman and Moscow, I'd bet many residents of Pullman also pinged in areas close to the King St home. The only damaging part of that, IMO, is the evening/morning of the murder because it places him there. A good defense attorney can explain the incidents in August and the fall away.

MOO

How, do you suppose? Aside from closing arguments. Explanations are great - but juries want evidence and will be instructed by the judge to go on evidence (NOT on explanations).

His cell phone data shouldn’t have put him there months before

Snipped for focus. This is where you lose me. This argument would not convince me as a juror, knowing how close the towns are and having lived in rural areas myself. There are all kinds of reasons for his cell phone to be in the area months before that don't include stalking. The rest of your post is where the damning evidence lies.

MOO.

I'm just saying I don't think the hair they found is Murphy's because doodle breeds don't shed as much as other dogs and also it was weeks after the fact they found the hair. No one has said the hair they found is from a dog, much less from a doodle breed type dog,
Yes, but the CUMULATIVE results of shedding over an extended period of time could leave a substantial amount of dog hairs throughout the house. MOO

First post to this site - be kind, please.

From a legal standpoint, if evidence from his apartment ties to the victims and evidence from his parent's home
also points to his guilt, can the defense attorney refuse to continue with the case? Does the judge have any
discretion in discontinuing the trial? Yes, I understand the suspect has the right to a jury of his peers, but.......

From the perspective of an Idaho taxpayer, to proceed with such overwhelming evidence would be a total waste
of money. What has been the precendent is similar cases?
Hi and Welcome to Websleuths! The judge cannot cancel a trial simply due to a large amount of evidence. The right to a public trial is provided by the Sixth Amendment.

The defense attorney can still do his job. An attorney is obligated to act in their client’s best interest, first and foremost. This means that if they are hired to defend a client, they must do so with due diligence — even if they personally believe the client to be guilty. This is outlined in Canon 7 of the ABA Model Code of Professional Responsibility, which states that “the duty of a lawyer, both to his client and to the legal system, is to represent his client zealously within the bounds of the law.”

So, the defense attorney will do his best to establish reasonable doubt to a jury. Essentially, factual guilt refers to what the defendant actually did, while legal guilt is what the prosecutor can prove.

I can't find any (yet) for animals - but yes, if it can be done for humans by this one scientists (lord knows what techniques he used), it can be done again. But it's usually a while before it becomes common forensic practice.

OTOH, it's clear that they can establish lineage from dogs without a hair root. But I can't find anything that says they can narrow it down to one dog. Which is why I'm saying that if people expect ALL evidence to point like a neon sign to a murderer, then we'll see fewer convictions. In this case, I would hope that Society can keep track of BK's name change and where he decides to go to school next.

Exactly. Who in the world has ever shopped at Marshall's or Kohl's or Ross or Walmart and *not* had a SKU number on the receipt?

Truly interested in knowing.

I’m expecting him to do online law school from Idaho’s most secure prison. Wonder if you can, from Death Row.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members