ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 70

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to know someone's name to have recognized them as someone you've seen around. I guess that's what I was getting at in my post. I just didn't say it very well. lol
I think it would have been hard to recognized someone you've just seen around if that person was wearing a mask covering half of his face, especially when surprised in the night by a person who doesn't live in your house.

And regarding whetherDM's testimony would be useful for prosecution, the prosecutor don't need to overpromise in this instance. He/she can frame this testimony to established that:
1. a masked stranger was in the house at thee time of the murder;
2. that DM's description of the masked stranger is consistent with BK's appearance. Think about this; if the masked stranger had been 6'5, 300 pounds, that helps the defense. That her eyewitness description matches BK's appearance doesn't prove it was him--but it doesn't need to when taken with other evidence of BK's location, e.g., the car.

IMO the article was from the Idaho Statesman, and they are not in the business of doing hit pieces. This was just an article discussing information from the PCA. The PCA itself is not evidence and assertions made in the PCA will either have to be articulated in front of a grand jury or during the prelim via testimony.

IMO the person they interviewed is more than qualified to speak on the subject. IMO great attorneys know that there are a bunch of people who are smarter than the attorney and they seek those people out to provide "expert" testimony in trials.

IMO ineffective attorneys know everything, mock the "so-called" experts and do not generally employ their services.

Ultimately it is up to the Court to determine if an expert is qualified to provide testimony and then the finder of fact gets to determine their credibility and weight given to their testimony..IMO

Agreed. And I'd also add that every article that picks apart one piece of evidence doesn't have to mention all the other evidence in order to be credible. It's entirely possible this expert thinks BK is guilty as sin, but is just speaking out about this very specific piece of evidence. There's no reason he also has to substantiate all other evidence in order to do that. JMO.

The FBI comes down hard!

True-crime author Howard Blum — who is penning a book on the shocking slayings — claimed in a roughly 15,000-word, two-part special for Air Mail that the feds’ surveillance squad lost the 28-year-old murder suspect almost as soon as he left for the road trip home for the holidays in Pennsylvania.

The former New York Times reporter claimed sources told him “with a bristle of embarrassment” that “for several alarming hours” or more, the “chief suspect in a quadruple homicide that had shocked the nation had seemingly vanished.”

However, on Thursday the FBI bluntly denied Blum’s reporting.

“The FBI is aware of reports detailing alleged FBI surveillance on Idaho murder subject Brian Kohberger,” a spokesperson said.

“There are anonymous sources providing false information to the media.

“Publishing of false information attributable to anonymous sources is not helpful to the case against Kohberger or to the American public,” the spokesperson said.

A law enforcement source also earlier denied the report, calling the detailed claim about the surveillance team losing eyes on the suspect and only finding him through a lucky break “absolutely false.”

“Blum needs to go back to his source — that is absolutely not true,” the source told The Post.
Wow
There is so much conflicting info surrounding this horrible case!

Something is reported in thread X , then it is denied in thread Y, etc.

Add to this Pappa Rodger and others alleged to be BK, Visual Snow, etc etc.

Oh well...
Too bad :(

This is all just my opinion and I don't say it to be critical, but it seems that we've hit the point where there's no new information coming out thanks to the gag order so we're elevating every MSM article suggesting BK is a killer and dismissing, discounting, and tearing apart every article that suggests some evidence isn't as strong, such as the cell tower data.

It's going to be a long 4 months if we don't at least give some credence to experts weighing in. At the very least, I think they probably have better insight into these topics than, for instance, I do, having no expertise in this subject. This does concern me about seating an impartial jury.

JMO.

I like hearing what "experts" have to say but I don't have to agree with them.

I do not and have not according to you:

"Dismissed, discounted and torn apart every expert article"

I made a valid point about the cell tower article, that there is other information in cell phone records such as WiFi pings, phone calls made, incoming calls, texts, GPS. And I would like to add from another poster:

BK turning off his cell phone at time of murders - the expert left that part out.

And the only other "expert" article I mentioned was ONE I POSTED MYSELF BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING about the DNA.

Last edited:
I like hearing what "experts" have to say but I don't have to agree with them.

I do not and have not according to you:

"Dismissed, discounted and torn apart every expert article"

I made a valid point about the cell tower article, that there is other information in cell phone records such as WiFi pings, phone calls made, incoming calls, texts, GPS, etc....

And the only other "expert" article I mentioned was ONE I POSTED MYSELF BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING about the DNA.

I wasn't saying that you, specifically, did. I was saying collectively, that's what's been happening, IMO. There have been a few articles now posted about this or that and these are the ones that are dismissed. I'm just saying that I think we need to take all things into account, that's all. JMO. Wasn't trying to offend.

BBMFF

I really don't think BK put Kaylee on the bed because that would have been staged. My 2 reasons...

1) it wasn't mentioned in the affidavit that anything looked staged, and

2) the affidavit specifically states "two females IN the single bed". It doesn't say she was "on" the bed. And most people sleep "in" bed during the winter (likely year-round unless no AC and it's super hot), not "on" the bed.
View attachment 399058

That leads me to believe they were sleeping in bed together.

As for sounds like Kaylee was playing with the dog... IMO I feel like the dog heard something and sensed something was not right (like animals can do). I think Murphy was likely running or jumping around wanting to get out of the room. Something set the dog off (his owner being killed or about to be killed). All MOO

And if "in" the bed, MOO means under the covers fully or partially, that lends support to the theory that he went to kill Madison, and --oops-- two people in her bed, so he killed them both.

This is exactly what many of have said every time a MSM article or posts pop up saying he was at the home 12 times prior to the murder. Maybe he was, but the public facts of the case don't support that. MOO
Ben Levitan is a professional defense expert witness. The product he sells is confusion.

The FBI uses CAST to determine location from cell towers and it is a straightforward process.

CAST
Data from One Tower pinging can determine distance from tower in a 30 degree arc.

So taking that arc data from two towers the phone is located where the two arcs cross.

Satellite
Then there is satellite tracking which is separate and extremely accurate.

Ben Levitan is a professional defense expert witness. The product he sells is confusion.

The FBI uses CAST to determine location from cell towers and it is a straightforward process.

CAST
Data from One Tower pinging can determine distance from tower in a 30 degree arc.

So taking that arc data from two towers the phone is located where the two arcs cross.

Satellite
Then there is satellite tracking which is separate and extremely accurate.

But where are you getting that information from?

Are you dismissing BL's input because he does expert witness work for defendants or has he been formally discredited? The FBI stuff you mentioned I'm not familiar with.

And if "in" the bed, MOO means under the covers fully or partially, that lends support to the theory that he went to kill Madison, and --oops-- two people in her bed, so he killed them both.
That's what I think too. I also think that Xana and Ethan weren't on his kill list and they were only killed because she was up (eating DD @~4am) and he ran into her, and then Ethan. I think DM is extremely lucky to have been spared. IF she was seen I think he was too much in a hurry to get the heck out of there after 1 murder turned into 4 and just rushed for the exit. Hence him peeling out and burning rubber which is a stupid thing to do IMO. Speaking of which... all of the above is MOO. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't saying that you, specifically, did. I was saying collectively, that's what's been happening, IMO. There have been a few articles now posted about this or that and these are the ones that are dismissed. I'm just saying that I think we need to take all things into account, that's all. JMO. Wasn't trying to offend.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. You were directing your post specifically to me so thanks for clearing that up.

Yes I agree expert opinions can be interesting to discuss when we are not getting new information.

I agree. It was potentially dark inside (though I will not assume, and there could have been varying degrees of ambient light) and she was tired and terrified (in a "frozen shock phase"). BK had on a mask over his mouth and nose per the PCA. He was described as 5'10" or taller. Average US white/non-hispanic male is 5'10" (Average human height by country - Wikipedia). Athletic. Bushy eyebrows. Plus, he was walking by her in a potentially dark house - not sure how close, not sure how dark, but based on what I read in the PCA, it didn't seem like they were super close or made eye contact, though I can't say that with certainty. Still imo it would be pretty hard to be 100% on an ID based on that IMO, and I'd be skeptical of any dramatic ID. Otoh, if I were the defense attorney, I'd love it b/c I'd have something to discredit.

imo If I were the defense attorney and I could get away with it, I'd dim the light to the described conditions in the house, however dark or light it was, in the courtroom and hold up photos of bk and many similar looking men with masks on and ask her to pick from however many feet and from a crack in the door at angle or whatever position she was in, it might be tough. or not .

I've thought a lot about the "frozen shock phase" and I've also wondered if her eyes saw a knife but her psyche was/is protecting her by not allowing her to remember seeing it, hence she froze and does not recall anything but his general description. MOO all spec.

In December, authorities arrested Bryan Kohberger and charged him with four counts of murder. But Kohberger didn't attend the University of Idaho; he was a graduate student at Washington State University, approximately eight miles away across the state line.

But three different students tell PEOPLE that they believe they saw Kohberger at the Student Union building on the Idaho campus in the weeks before the murders — and that they later recognized him after he was arrested for the murders.

"He was the type to stare," she continues. "He wouldn't look away if you caught him staring. Like he wanted you to notice that he was looking at you. He didn't smile, didn't nod, didn't say anything. Just stared."

[…]
Another student tells PEOPLE that she saw Kohberger frequently enough around campus that she assumed he was a student at the University of Idaho.

"It's not a huge school; it's like a small town," she says. "So you start seeing the same faces again and again. They become familiar, like you know that you've seen them in class or around campus. I definitely saw him more than once. He was just really quiet and really intense, staring. He made me uncomfortable."

I've thought a lot about the "frozen shock phase" and I've also wondered if her eyes saw a knife but her psyche was/is protecting her by not allowing her to remember seeing it, hence she froze and does not recall anything but his general description. MOO all spec.
I hope they can keep DM’s testimony short and simple at trial. She is a survivor of a mass murder in her home. I can only imagine how retraumatizing it will be to sit in the courtroom with BK and relive that night‘s horrors.

That's what I think too. I also think that Xana and Ethan weren't on his kill list and they were only killed because she was up (eating DD @~4am) and he ran into her, and then Ethan. I think DM is extremely lucky to have been spared. IF she was seen I think he was too much in a hurry to get the heck out of there after 1 murder turned into 4 and just rushed for the exit. Hence him peeling out and burning rubber which is a stupid thing to do IMO. Speaking of which... all of the above is MOO. :)

Good points.

I agree that BK did not target 4 and what you say makes sense if he didn't. And absolutely DM is lucky to be alive. Everyone in that house was in jeopardy that night. <modsnip - off topic>

I don't think Ethan was targeted. I think Ethan was a total surprise to him, only killed because he was there.

I believe that BK is way too much of a coward to target a male. Only the most cowardly killer would go and kill innocent people asleep in their beds in the middle of the night. He would have been scared <modsnip> of any male. Way too cowardly to confront a guy, even in bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
a
In December, authorities arrested Bryan Kohberger and charged him with four counts of murder. But Kohberger didn't attend the University of Idaho; he was a graduate student at Washington State University, approximately eight miles away across the state line.

But three different students tell PEOPLE that they believe they saw Kohberger at the Student Union building on the Idaho campus in the weeks before the murders — and that they later recognized him after he was arrested for the murders.

"He was the type to stare," she continues. "He wouldn't look away if you caught him staring. Like he wanted you to notice that he was looking at you. He didn't smile, didn't nod, didn't say anything. Just stared."

[…]
Another student tells PEOPLE that she saw Kohberger frequently enough around campus that she assumed he was a student at the University of Idaho.

"It's not a huge school; it's like a small town," she says. "So you start seeing the same faces again and again. They become familiar, like you know that you've seen them in class or around campus. I definitely saw him more than once. He was just really quiet and really intense, staring. He made me uncomfortable."

If accurate, I'm not surprised. JMO

I don’t recall reading this anywhere-my apologies if this has been discussed.
Being that LE has BK’s car on camera circling the house, do none of the images show BK’s face and/or features as he is driving?

But where are you getting that information from?

Are you dismissing BL's input because he does expert witness work for defendants or has he been formally discredited? The FBI stuff you mentioned I'm not familiar with.
The FBIs Cellular Analysis Survey Team is called CAST. They are the ones that will testify in court as to location of a phone from Cellular and Satellite sources.

Because of your post I looked at the cases
he has testified in.
I looked into the article you attached.

My opinion only.
He specializes in cases with cell evidence.
In the article he is to have asserted that cell phones cannot be accurately located.

But we all know that Starbucks and Zillow know exactly where your phone is from GPS data if the phone is turned on.

Agreed. And I'd also add that every article that picks apart one piece of evidence doesn't have to mention all the other evidence in order to be credible. It's entirely possible this expert thinks BK is guilty as sin, but is just speaking out about this very specific piece of evidence. There's no reason he also has to substantiate all other evidence in order to do that. JMO.
Exactly, DH was an expert witness. It was interesting for sure.

[…]

Thanks for posting this. Maybe these witnesses will be called to the stand at trial. What it does is link BK a little closer to the victims and opens the door for the jury to wonder why was he there? I doubt BK would take the stand to answer that.

If BK did follow 3 victims on Instagram and did message one victim several times, then it makes these statements that people saw him on campus that much more credible.

Add this to the cell tower data and phone records and it starts to at least look like he is stalking his victims.
If true, the Instagram tie proves he knew who they were.

Last edited:

[…]

I’m really skeptical to believe People magazine after their article about him eating at Mad Greek was later refuted. I feel like they’re reaching here. Did he eat at the UofI campus? Maybe? I guess cell phone records could verify this. But this doesn’t seem like great journalism to me MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member