ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no evidence that he's a serial killer though.
Thank you. Of course you are technically correct; that's why I enjoy your posts. I should have said wanna-be serial killer. I believe he would have evolved to one had he not been arrested. But then again, maybe that's just another group BK didn't fit in with. Dang!

MOO

Some cases are heard by a Grand Jury which is a group of registered voter citizens who sit for a period of time, months in some jurisdictions, and they hear the state's cases before trial. They meet perhaps once a week or so. They either vote that the state's case is strong enough to go forward with a trial and hand down an indictment, or not. It is then up to the state to proceed with a trial or not.

The defendant is not allowed to put on any evidence although often his/her attorney is allowed to attend. The defendant may be, and usually is, called to testify.

Honestly, GJ's are often used by the prosecution's office if the case is a political hot potato. But, as we know, a GJ will indict a ham sandwich. Their indictment really means nothing other than the defendant will be tried.

ID is a DP state. Mass murder (the killing of 4 or more) is a capital offense and the state must charge accordingly. A capital case is one that is subject to the punishment of death and the state must make that option available to the jurors and even ask that they render such a punishment.

It would be malpractice for BK's attorney to not advise him to plead guilty and receive a sentence of Life Without The Possibility of Parole, Probation or Suspension of Sentence. Her job is to do what is in the client's best interest and life is in his best interest.

If he goes to trial, he will end up on death row.
Thank you for explaining this, TeaTime

Interesting comment on one of Dr. Snyder's 2022 fall classes on ratemyprofessors.com:

BBM:

posted 1/13 (so, possibly fradulent, but not sure what the motive would be, esp since they were many commenting on his class, not just the TA) : CRIMJ320 "This was an okay course. Prof Snyder was very unstructured and he just spoke about whatever in tangents (bc he doesn't follow his own syllabus). Nice guy. TAs matter the most as they grade your papers. AVOID bryan (very harsh grader)"
IDK, if dated 01/13/23 the reviewer knows about BK's arrest etc. So, unless it's a joke/sarcastic there is no need to say "avoid Bryan"...grain of salt I guess MOO

EBM: spelling

BK will likely use the preliminary hearing as a means to lock in the prosecution's witnesses to specific answers they want. In fact, they will probably subpoena key prosecution experts and try to undermine their opinions. If these witnesses alter their testimony at trial, the prelim transcript will be used to impeach them via inconsistent statements.

The defense may also subpoena the surviving roommates for the same reason. In addition, they will want to assess their vulnerability to cross examination - especially if they declined to talk to defense investigators.

IIRC, the defense asked the court to schedule several days for the preliminary hearing. Normally these are perfunctory affairs, in which the lead investigator testifies, summarizing the evidence that shows probable cause. This would not normally take more than a couple of days. I infer that the defense has a tactical agenda it hopes to advance in the hearing. MOO.
I recall it was a whole week that was scheduled for the PH, last week of June. MOO

So far, he seems like more of a match to a mass murderer.
Yet he did not end his life and used a knife instead of a bomb or a gun. And we still don't know his motive other than a desire to kill people.

He scoped out the victim's home and entered in the middle of the night which is more in line with a serial killer.

I don't think he fits neatly under either category.

If he had not been caught and committed another similar crime, we could call him a "mass-serial killer."

Last edited:
"A psychiatrist has penned a letter to a woman who has been writing to Bryan Kohberger, the suspect in the slayings of four University of Idaho students."

o_O

Most authors explain the psychology behind hybristophilia in a similar way, but I once came across an interesting hypothesis. I can only explain it, no link (and a different language), nonetheless I thought the viewpoint was curious.

The author believes that the main attraction is neither the "the bad boy" status, nor "true love". The main attraction lies in the fact that the man is behind bars, forever, and IRL, the woman is fully protected from his "love" or daily presence. It is, as the authors say, the way to have a "relationship" without having one. Moreover, on this "macho" criminal the woman can easily project all her imaginary world of the "the man made for her", as she is never going to be with him. The "relationship status" prevents her from falling in love with "bad boys" around her (plenty of that fish in any sea), and by the same time, she is not living a daily life with the criminal.

I assume BH's love will last for as long as BK is behind bars. If, by any chance, he is released, she'll immediately find another inmate of her dreams.

I guess there was no conflict of interest after all. They were never able to provide any evidence that there was in the first place.
Yes, so the outcome is that the media and the public get to move on, meanwhile three victims (parents of the deceased) were given a nice dose of public exposure and a PD was exposed to public ire with possible future career implications. MOO

I guess there was no conflict of interest after all. They were never able to provide any evidence that there was in the first place.
The COI was real but only had to be waived by BK to go away. Perhaps he did so.

The media focussed on the supposed feelings of betrayal on the part of X's mom, but I'm not convinced that was ever a legal issue. PDs get reassigned all the time, per my friend/attorney who is one.

The COI was real but only had to be waived by BK to go away. Perhaps he did so.

The media focussed on the supposed feelings of betrayal on the part of X's mom, but I'm not convinced that was ever a legal issue. PDs get reassigned all the time, per my friend/attorney who is one.
I don't think there have been any statements made by the prosecution, the DA or the Public Defenders office in relation to the COI issue that would have been present in late Dec? Not since it was raised in the media? IMO, it must have been sorted, discussed, analysed and accounted for according to legal procedures and protocot before AT took on BK's case. MOO

his Desales professor who never met him in person just thought he was great

Accused Idaho killer Bryan Kohberger was a 'brilliant student ...

https://nypost.com › 2023/01/02 › bryan-kohbergers-fo...

Jan 2, 2023 — A former university professor of Bryan Kohberger said the accused killer was “one of my best students, ever” — and that the then-master's ...

His friend Bree, a female, liked him: "

48 Hours

Never-before-seen photos and details about the man accused of murdering four Idaho college students​

48-hours
By Peter Van Sant

January 7, 2023 / 11:02 PM / CBS News

Bree: I don't necessarily remember the conversations, but you definitely remember how someone makes you feel. … I just remember feeling OK — I was just with a friend. … Just felt natural.

but then he made creepy comments to women at the PA bar:

Suspect in Idaho killings had made 'creepy' comments to ...

https://www.nbcnews.com › news › us-news › suspect-i...

Dec 31, 2022 — Jordan Serulneck, 34, the owner of Seven Sirens Brewing Company in Bethlehem, said Kohberger had gone by himself to the brewery a few times and ...

and he had a creepy tinder date:

Woman Details Tinder Date with Bryan Kohberger - Newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com › bryan-kohberger-tinder-d...

Jan 10, 2023 — The date took place about seven years ago, the woman said. However, her contact with Kohberger was "very brief," lasting no more than 24 hours.

You really ask yourself if this guy has a consistent personna that remembers what it did and said the day before IMO.
:(
Like everyone I thought I had read every article out there closely but The CBS article that you shared (and thank you for the list), I somehow missed this ....

Benjamin Roberts: There was a comment that he made, and it was kind of a flippant guy talk thing. At one point, he just idly mentioned, you know, "I can go down to a bar or a club and pretty much have any lady I want."

BK will be spending years in prison (IMO), either for the term of his natural life, or on death row. So I presume he can continue with his studies? Gain more qualifications? Write textbooks? Maybe even become a PI? :)

Last edited:
Respectfully, that is not true. There was/is a definite & obvious COI. The question was whether and/or how it would be resolved, i.e., would BK sign a waiver, would AT recuse herself, etc.

Perhaps it has been resolved without a media update. I doubt it. All such matters take time, involve calendaring, are procedural, etc.

Eighty media outlets are asking the judge to lift the gag order. Just because we're not getting updates from the media about it or the court does not mean that has been dropped.

As a circumstance that could create an appeal issue, it has to be addressed and resolved IMO.

Such a decision should be publicly announced but with a judge who thinks operating in secret is the only protection she can afford the defendant, who knows how it will be/has been addressed?

JMHO, as IANAL

I don't think much would come of a defence attorney debating a press release that was likely intended to keep a witness safe from media intrusion and if this is the best they can come up with, BK needs a better attorney.
I agree! They are going to focus on the facts of the case, not press releases.

Snipped for focus. That's your opinion. My opinion is different. I believe there were several inconsistencies from LE and their officials (JMO), including most recently, the Indiana police stops.

How does the Indiana stop affect the evidence from the case? Not to be glib, but who cares if they were told to pull him over or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998