ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Sleuthing family members is not allowed> He will probably be ordered to take a phyc evaluation and be put on a phyc hold by the court. We may never know why he did this. I hope not. I hope he is mirandized and starts singing like a birdy. He could think he is smarter than everyone and likes the attention and will talk. I am just so happy they got him. Jmoo Sad and happy for the families, friends and the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me out sleuthers…. that video that captured the girls walking down the street having the “what did you tell him / I told him everything” conversation. Did they use the name Chris? The internet is moving as fast as these WS threads, and I‘ve been (unsuccessfully) digging for it all night, wondering if Bryan Christopher Kohberger may have gone by Chris.
It was Adam.

Okay here is a weird theory. What if he was an accomplice? What if some other person, that was closer to the victims was also involved? Gonna be curious to see what if any connection he had to the victims.
IMO Agreed 100%. IOW, he suspects who the stabber is, so B hightailed it out of town because he was the driver of the Elantra-sort of an unknowing accomplice.

Tough to speculate with any accuracy without knowing much about his life
Earning a PhD is not an easy task, but he would only be in semester 1
Steroids cause aggression, as does healthy weight loss, and fasting in some people
I would not equate mental snap with the planned brutal murder of four people who appear to not be related to his life in any way
I would guess that as info comes out we will find out there have bee

JMO

A sudden change in behavior sounds like head injury or stroke, steroid use

JMO
You're right and typically with mental breaks, people's crimes are sporadic and messy and unplanned, they typically don't know right from wrong. From what we know, BK was keeping this crime a secret, and he planned it.

I will be very surprised if his diet turns out to have anything to do with the crime. MOO

Agree. Serious killers with anti-social personality disorders tend to be very focused on manipulating other people to do what they want. The diet issue seems more like a passive aggressive way of controlling others. There's also something about his habits (from what I've read) that sounds like like OCD.

Not trying to do armchair analysis, there really isn't enough information about him.

I wanted to see what classes BK needed to take to complete his degree, so I compiled a list based on his academic history:

For a B.A. in Criminal Justice from DeSales University:

Note: It appears DeSales is removing criminal justice course descriptions from their website, but a PDF can be found here.

Required Major Courses:
  1. CJ 100 Cybercrime: Designed to introduce students to the technical, social, and legal aspects of cybercrime. Course content will include the criminological phenomenon of cybercrime, contemporary cybercrime and the vehicle created by technology to commit traditional crimes.
  2. CJ 109 Crime and Society: An introduction to the disciplines represented in criminal justice. Focus will be on ways that practitioners in criminal justice think how the criminal justice system interacts with society and how the field is organized and attempts to address the problems presented to society by crime.
  3. CJ 160 Criminal Law: Cross-listed with LG-160. A study of the principles and doctrines embodied in the criminal law. Topics such as substantive crimes, justification, complicity and liability, causation, and inchoate crimes are explored and emphasized.
  4. CJ 250 Criminology: A comprehensive overview of the traditional and modern theories explaining criminal behavior. The course will cover the history and development of criminological perspectives with emphasis on their empirical relevance and practical applications to criminal justice policy and programming. Patterns of general and specific crimes across time and place, as well as the various perspectives of the nature of crime, human nature, and the origin of criminal behavior will be examined.
  5. CJ 260 Law Enforcement: A survey of the law enforcement component of the criminal justice process. Such topics as history, powers, limitations, liability, management, and organization are considered.
  6. CJ 280 Corrections: An overview of institutional practices, policies, ethical and legal issues in the correctional system. The course will cover correctional history, philosophy, sentencing and statutes in corrections, organization and management of jails and prisons, and aspects of prison life. Alternative sanctions such as probation, parole, and intermediate sanctions, offender programming within and outside of institutions, and characteristics of the offender population will be examined as well.
  7. CJ 295 Ethics in Criminal Justice: A study of ethics in the criminal justice field. This course will identify and critically examine a variety of ethical issues encountered by criminal justice professionals. Topics will include the importance of ethics in criminal justice generally as well as specific analysis of law enforcement and corrections ethics, judicial ethics, racial discrimination in the criminal justice system, and restorative justice.
  8. CJ 350 Research Methods: An introduction to basic social science research methods. The course will cover the foundations of social science research, ethical issues and challenges in criminal justice research, measurement, sampling, various experimental designs, survey research, quantitative and qualitative analyses, evaluation, and application of research findings. Emphasis will be placed on reading, understanding, and critiquing empirical studies as well as practical application of criminological theory and research to criminal justice program and policy.
  9. CJ 365 Criminal Procedure: Cross-listed with LG-365. A study of both the constitutional and statutory rules governing police conduct in criminal matters. Emphasis is on the Constitutional rights and restrictions derived from the 4th, 5th, 6th and 14th Amendments to the United States Constitution and the remedies for violation of these rights.
  10. CJ 453 Senior Seminar: A course that examines critical issues and problems facing criminal justice theory and practice. A significant research and policy paper on a matter of importance to the criminal justice field is required. Students will also review for and take a standardized major field test covering seven key areas in criminal justice. Preparation for the transition from undergraduate studies to employment and/or graduate school including job searching, resume building, interviewing techniques, cover letters, and applications will be an important secondary goal for the course.
  11. PS 109 Introduction to Psychology: An overview of psychology that emphasizes how psychologists function as scientists. Topics include research methods, psychobiology, motivation, perception, consciousness, learning, cognition, development, personality, psychology and health, psychological disorders, psychotherapy, and social relationships
  12. SO 203 Social Problems: Cross-listed with CJ-203. An examination and exploration of various social problems in American society and how they affect and are affected by societal attitudes. Theoretical perspectives will be applied to such problems as poverty, welfare, substance abuse, sexism, racism and environmental problems.
4 Elective Courses, to include any CJ (Criminal Justice) or SO (Sociology) course:

Examples of other criminal justice courses which could be taken to satisfy the major requirement:
  • CJ 208 Crime Lab: A study of the techniques, skills and limitations of the modern crime laboratory with respect to collection and processing of physical evidence. Course fee.
  • CJ 252 Drugs and Crime: An introduction to the use and abuse of drugs in America. The history of such use and abuse, the pharmacology of such drugs, the social response to drug use/abuse and the role of law enforcement are considered.
  • CJ 270 Digital Forensics I: Designed to provide a comprehensive examination of computer-related crime and investigations. This course will cover the legal and social issues related to computer forensics and the unique techniques and tools needed to properly investigate these types of incidents. Students will be introduced to the best practices in the field of computer forensics for search, seizure, and analysis of evidence. Course fee.
  • CJ 300: Dangerous Minds: the Psychology of Antisocial Behavior: Cross-listed with PS-300. A course that focuses on the joint study of the fields of forensic psychology and criminal justice as to extreme forms of criminal behavior and possible ways to understand and deal with them. From obsessive stalkers to serial killers to cunning psychopaths, this area is still a psychological frontier. This course surveys the different types of dangerous criminal disorders and updates the current research into forms of violence.
  • CJ 320 Mobile Device Forensics: Designed to familarize [sic] students with mobile device technology, and the type of data that can be retreived [sic] from mobile devices such as cell phones, tablets and GPS units. Students will learn and apply forensic best practices while interacting with contemporary mobile forensic tools currently being utilized in the field. Course fee.
  • CJ 361 Forensic Investigation: An introduction to the practical procedures in criminal investigation, including scientific approaches to solving crimes and presentation of a criminal case in a court of law. Included will be demonstrations of various techniques and hands on experiences for the students. Course fee.
  • CJ 425 Mock Trial: Cross-listed with LG-425. A course designed to prepare students for participation in intercollegiate mock trial competitions. Students are required to learn the rules of evidence, ethics, rules of procedure and trial techniques.

For a M.A. in Criminal Justice from DeSales University:

6 Required Courses:

1. CJ 501 Advanced Criminology: A foundation course for understanding criminal behavior by providing an in-depth review of general and specific theoretical perspectives on the causes of crime. Topics for study will also include the correlates of crime and implications of various criminological perspectives for policy and law.
  2. CJ 502 Research Methods: A course that prepares students for criminal justice data collection and analysis. The quantitative component covers research design, measurement, descriptive statistics, reliability, and validity. The qualitative component includes techniques of field observations, ways to code qualitative data, and ethical concerns.
  3. CJ 503 Ethics in Criminal Justice: A course that identifies and critically examines a variety of ethical issues facing criminal justice professionals. Topics include the importance of ethical behavior, police corruption, judicial ethics, racial discrimination and restorative justice.
  4. CJ 507 Master Project Seminar: As the capstone course, offers three options: 1) a master’s thesis; 2) a 300-hour externship in a relevant agency with a program overview paper, or 3) an in-depth policy paper that uses research to address an agency need.
  5. CJ 511 Criminal Justice Systems and Processes: This course provides an overview of the theory and research on the criminal justice system, including law enforcement, courts, corrections, and other important areas in the system. Special attention is given to the process as well as discretion and its role in the micro-level administration of the different parts of the system.
  6. CJ 518 Applied Statistics and Data Analysis: This course provides an overview of the theory and research on the criminal justice system, including law enforcement, courts, corrections, and other important areas in the system. Special attention is given to the process as well as discretion and its role in the micro-level administration of the different parts of the system. [For some reason CJ 511 and CJ 518 have the same description]
4 Elective Courses: The 12 credit elective course requirement is directed at a student’s specific interest in the criminal justice system. Students can select any four (4) concentration courses offered in the MCJ degree program. This affords the student the opportunity to study different areas of criminal justice.

With the talk of potential drug use, I wonder if he started taking steroids.

Just my own theory, I've seen nothing to indicate he was on steroids and only hints that he was using any sort of drugs, and it was years ago. But he's a fit and athletic guy at this point, so it's possible. The idea of 'roid rage is what got me thinking in that direction.

Though I actually think it's not about drugs and more about mental illness, either plain out psychosis or something spurred by schizophrenia.

Last edited:
Since we were discussing diet and mental health...

Psychology today had some material on "the Vegan Brain" and similar.

The Vegan Brain

Author is an MD.

(There are numerous other articles searching schizophrenia vegan, and similar, not listing for brevity)

Unknown if there is rigorous science to back any assertions. Double-blind randomized trials on mental health and specific diets may exist, if someone is so inclined to research. Absent a widespread violent vegan crime wave, I'm skeptical that the perp's purported plant-based preference pushed him over the edge.

Unfortunately, there have been all manner of improbable excuses set forth in criminal defense trials, perhaps most notably was the infamous Twinkie Defense in the 1978 SF Mayor murder case.

Twinkie defense - Wikipedia

Even Nancy Grace has weighed in on (vegan) diet and crime:

https://m.facebook.com/NancyGraceOf...t-want-a-fat-baby-left-the-ch/306505961000487/

Do I think a vegan diet drove him to commit heinous murders? No.

Would a defense attorney facing overwhelming evidence try anything to get their client off? If they'll try Twinkies, they'll try anything.

Tough to speculate with any accuracy without knowing much about his life
Earning a PhD is not an easy task, but he would only be in semester 1
Steroids cause aggression, as does healthy weight loss, and fasting in some people
I would not equate mental snap with the planned brutal murder of four people who appear to not be related to his life in any way
I would guess that as info comes out we will find out there have been red flags

JMO

A sudden change in behavior sounds like head injury or stroke, steroid use

JMO
MTBI too imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors