ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting - in the context of this article - that both the BTK serial killer and Bryan Kohberger studied and graduated with Criminal Justice degrees.

The daughter of serial killer BTK has said she was sickened to learn that Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of killing four University of Idaho students, studied her father.

Investigators have not released information about a motive for the killings but details about Kohberger's life and education have emerged, including that he studied under Katherine Ramsland, a renowned forensic psychologist, at DeSales University.

Holding back tears, she added: "It's hard to be the kid of this guy and live with this. You know? And then see somebody else go do this and wonder did your dad influence him? Did your dad talk to him? Was he studying my father outside of academics? Am I ever going to get answers to that? I don't know."

In tweets after Kohberger's arrest, Rawson wrote: "Ramsland has, or did have a close academic relationship and friendship with my father, Dennis Rader, BTK.

"I have ongoing concerns, knowing how common it is for criminology students, true crime fans, and others to correspond regularly with my father, that Kohberger could have been in contact with my father at some point, but require proof of this, which currently I do not know of."

She also noted that her father "graduated with a bachelors in Criminal Justice, from Wichita State University, making a mockery of this important field, using his college courses to study his own ongoing murders and get access to [law enforcement] information in the 1970s."

Bryan Kohberger was a student of the criminal mind who had an interest in crime scenes and serial killers, classmates say.

Eleven days before four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in a home near campus, Bryan Kohberger was sitting in a criminology class at a college just a short drive away, leaning into a conversation about forensics, DNA and other evidence prosecutors use to win convictions.

The 28-year-old graduate student seemed highly engaged in the discussion, a former classmate recalled. It was a subject that had long captivated Kohberger, who had researched the mindsets of criminals, studied under a professor in Pennsylvania known for her expertise on serial killers and, for the past few months, pursued a doctorate in criminology at Washington State University, about 10 miles from the Idaho crime scene.

I don't know if this has been pointed out but if not I will because it is certainly noticeable to me. (from link below)

WHAT DO WE NOT SEE HERE ?

View attachment 391765.

I see no scratches whatsoever. No claw marks, no gouges. Nothing but a slight redness at the very top of the throat. Even under large magnification nothing is visible. The time since November 13th would not be enough to heal any significant mark completely.

We know that the reference "some" of the victims had defensive wounds has always been used. Some is certainly more than one--it could be 2, 3 or all 4. One of the things I HIGHLY doubt is that none of the girls would have attempted to scratch his face in their struggle to avoid death. And the fingernails of females can do significant damage.

So this means that there cannot be any hoped-for skin cells at least from his face under their fingernails because there is no evidence of where it could have originated. The prosecution cannot merely speculate that he covered his face with a mask, the defense lawyer would force them to produce evidence of it.

If the rest of his body looks like this and if they cannot find that mask or prove one was used, this is a problem for the prosecution. It is certainly a factor which is exculpatory.

He’s healed

I don't know if this has been pointed out but if not I will because it is certainly noticeable to me. (from link below)

View attachment 391765.

I see no scratches whatsoever. No claw marks, no gouges. Nothing but a slight redness at the very top of the throat. Even under large magnification nothing is visible. The time since November 13th would not be enough to heal any significant mark completely.

We know that the reference "some" of the victims had defensive wounds has always been used. Some is certainly more than one--it could be 2, 3 or all 4. One of the things I HIGHLY doubt is that none of the girls would have attempted to scratch his face in their struggle to avoid death. And the fingernails of females can do significant damage.

So this means that there cannot be any hoped-for skin cells at least from his face under their fingernails because there is no evidence of where it could have originated. The prosecution cannot merely speculate that he covered his face with a mask, the defense lawyer would force them to produce evidence of it.

If the rest of his body looks like this and if they cannot find that mask or prove one was used, this is a problem for the prosecution. It is certainly a factor which is exculpatory.

If you're being stabbed, defensive wounds would most likely be to your hands/forearms while you attempt to deflect the knife. If you even had time to react your initial gut instinct would be to grab what's hurting you... not gouge out an eye...

View attachment 391765.

Healed up. Healthy

I had not seen the blood dripping down the outside of the property before, it really shows how horrific this crime was and therefore how it would seem pretty much impossible for a perpetrator to leave the scene without there being some evidence to link him to the crime scene.

Last edited:
It is absolutely not certain. I doubt he had any, but don’t even care. The media seems to be desperate to connect the two individuals. Why? Who cares?

If BK is in fact guilty of these murders, he acted out of his own volition.

I guess it being a long holiday weekend, people are trying to dig up something notorious to get clicks. The daughter has nothing to feel guilty about. I don’t even understand why she’s talking publicly so much about her father in relation to this case.
Money

I have a close family member who was and probably still is a meth user. It is pure he double LL to deal with. Meth users literally lose their minds. It is go go go for days til they crash. Steal from anybody. Lie. Live in their cars packed down with possessions and go from sofa to sofa.

Just reading about BK’s rapid weight loss (and ability to keep it off), the running long distances, gaunt looking, up all night per neighbors. Coffee drinking - which meth users do to boost their high with caffeine. I really believe meth was his thing. Not heroin. Would not doubt if he was using meth in WA.
has teeth and no acne, so math unlikely moo

Same. Why would a female inmate be around a male inmate to that extent anyway? Also what little we know of this guy, none of that seems to “fit,” besides the other person this morning supposedly saying he hasn’t said a word in the jail.

They really have to stop interviewing every single person they can find.

This case is going to generate a lot of "what the hell...what have I got to lose" behavior... Especially those in the small 'transitional location' in PA, for this potential criminal.

Yes, we do think differently, albeit from a similar (I think, if I read you right) respect for our system.

Are you of the opinion that no one should voice an opinion until there is a trial with a final, unappealable verdict (or a guilty plea)? Not professionals and not laypeople? It's irresponsible to comment?
snip

I understand that people have opinions and want to express them. That's to be expected.

I'm struggling with how to express what I'm feeling. I'm still trying to flesh this out into a cogent linear thought, but I guess I'm just viscerally uncomfortable with the salacious gossipy nature of the news stories I've seen. It seems like everyone who Bryan Kohberger ever interacted with is coming forward to tell the world what a quiet, creepy, socially awkward, angry introvert he is. I haven't thought through every possible consequence, but I'm troubled by the possibilities.

Last edited:
I had wondered if the car ride home was pre-planned because BK had a fear of flying. Could make for an interesting plane ride back to Idaho.

There was a lot of speculation, at least on the previous thread, about BK's degree, seeking a PhD, and what the particulars of him moving to WA state to pursue it might mean.

It's very normal to first receive a master's degree, as PhD programs are usually fully funded and highly competitive. Applicants usually seek out a terminal MA to strengthen their foundation and future professional / academic pursuits. This is extremely common, especially for non-traditional students who may have taken several years between degrees or students who attended a non-prestigious institution for their undergrad or MA degree (I say this with affection holding many degrees from non-Ivy institutions, it's just the facts).

I don't think there's anything unusual about BK going straight from an MA degree from a local institution (it's also, FWIW, the same school he received his Bachelor's from) to a PhD program across the country -- you go wherever you get in. I am not in the field of Criminology, but it's very common for PhD students to have moved across the country to attend whatever school (sometimes the only school) they got into, and it's also fairly normal to receive a master's degree from another institution before pursuing a funded PhD elsewhere.

They have special transport for inmates. They don't sit shackled inmates in with regular travelers. Too risky and dangerous.

Air Travel

The US Marshals Service [] operates the biggest prison transport network [] in the world, called JPATS (Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System), headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri. JPATS has its own fleet of 10 planes, ranging from a six-person Beechcraft 99 to an MD-80 that can carry about 140 inmates [] . (Yes, it's nicknamed Con Air.)

Remand of Custody
When custody changes hands, prisoners get a pat-down [] . For airport transfers, a shotgun-toting [] tactical team from the Bureau of Prisons is on hand. Someone is also there to oversee the paperwork []. (This includes medical records: If a prisoner doesn't have their proper meds, they don't get to board.)

Security in the Sky
The flight [] our photographer was on had as many as 15 guards. They spell each other every 15 minutes, eyeing prisoners from the front, middle, and back of the plane. Firearms are generally a very bad idea in pressurized cabins; that's probably why our photographer never saw guards in the air armed with anything other than Tasers [].

Seating Arrangements
Inmates travel in cuffs, shackles, and a belly chain. More dangerous customers are fitted with a "black box []" , a plastic casing over the chain linking the handcuffs, to further hamper movement. Lavatory visits require the company of a guard [] , and the door remains open at all times. (Mental note: Never complain again about the indignities of flying coach.)

In-Flight Menu
There's no in-flight movie, and no one is allowed magazines or books of sudoku puzzles. Meals [] are decidedly no-frills affairs. Sample menu: corn chips, turkey bologna and cheese sandwich, cookie, and water. Tray tables have been removed from the seats to preclude enterprising inmates from weaponizing them.

Re-remand of Custody
Prisoners can be marked to denote destinations. (In this case, an X on the hand [] may mean that he is to be transferred to a particular jail.) Nick Cage notwithstanding, the JPATS says it has never had an escape, and that airborne violence is rare. (All in all, better than your typical flight out of LaGuardia.)
^They do in fact fly shackled inmates on passenger aircraft. I work for an airline and have seen it firsthand, but only a handful of times. The inmate was shackled hands and feet with the belly chain and sat with two guards, one on each side. That being said I do not think that will be the case with BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23