ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right; the suspect is young, around the same age. And if they have the suspect's DNA (which I believe they do), it could be difficult to match because the suspect hasn't committed any crimes or submitted DNA to 23andMe or any other ancestry databases, for that matter.

I'm 36 and did my genetic testing with 23andMe at 27. Are younger generations using genetic testing services? It was all the rage with my generation.
Exactly re your first paragraph.
Regarding young people and genetic testing, I think many are paranoid about having their DNA out there. MOO.
Solving a murder using Genetic DNA doesn't involve the murderers DNA being in the database at all. As a hobby, I find people's biological families. They submit their DNA then you divide their matches into 4 groups, one for each grandparent. Then you use each branch of their matches to build a family tree. Where it converges is where you'll find their biological parent. You never know how long it's going to take. I found one person's dad in 24hrs and she's been searching for 20 years! I'm working one right now that's super difficult, I've been at it for over 6 months. Of course, when someone is doing it for LE they have many more resources available.

(And I'm not tooting my own horn, I've done genealogy for 20+ years, anyone can do it once you learn the ropes)

I think they were asleep when the attack started but woke up and tried to fight back as maybe they didn’t die as fast as the other victims? I hate even talking like that but that’s my thoughts… also, I believe if you had drank more, fell asleep before the other victims that would more than likely change what stage of sleep you were in. Maybe K and M didn’t wake up and fight back as they were “more asleep” or, their first stab wounds were more fatal? Again, me just theorizing!
I agree.

Reading the press conference: https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/DocumentCenter/View/24754/11-25-2022-Moscow-Homicide-Update

"The coroner stated the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times."

To me this suggests that all of the victims were found in a resting position. It could also suggest that maybe some of the wounds were into the backs or sides of the victims as some naturally sleep on their stomach or side. Horrible to even think of that happening to someone while they sleep.

Some likely woke upon their own injuries and received defensive wounds while being attacked.

But I guess it could also just be speculation on the coroner's behalf that they don't think it's likely that someone would be able to commit such a crime to 4 different victims without them being completely vulnerable while sleeping.

Follow up thought. Maybe after friends came over, they walked around to balcony and looked in Maddie and Kaylees room and saw blood? Do we even know they were in one room?
I definitely could see myself looking through some windows if I couldn't find something to pick a lock and my roommate was not responding to persistent calls or knocks. (Yesterday, someone posted a photo with a presumed handprint on the window....) And if you could see into several bedrooms and no one was responding.... well, I certainly cannot say I'd call 911 before my friends arrived.

Free or first?

DM article linked previously had brackets around the not paying as if was added by the reporter for clarity.

Getting food first seems a more likely source of aggravation since V mentioned it’s a long wait to get food.

imo

Solving a murder using Genetic DNA doesn't involve the murderers DNA being in the database at all. As a hobby, I find people's biological families. They submit their DNA then you divide their matches into 4 groups, one for each grandparent. Then you use each branch of their matches to build a family tree. Where it converges is where you'll find their biological parent. You never know how long it's going to take. I found one person's dad in 24hrs and she's been searching for 20 years! I'm working one right now that's super difficult, I've been at it for over 6 months. Of course, when someone is doing it for LE they have many more resources available.

(And I'm not tooting my own horn, I've done genealogy for 20+ years, anyone can do it once you learn the ropes)
Police can get a court order to obtain a person’s DNA from some of the websites such as 23andMe and ancestry. Please correct me if I am wrong. But, I recall reading a couple cold case murders that were solved via this type of genetic DNA.

However, my point was that many young people that I know don‘t want their DNA “out there” coupled with the fact it is not cheap to have genetic DNA completed.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this info before. Defensive wounds were on the hands.

"Stab wounds on the hands of at least one victim appear to be defensive wounds, according to Mabbutt."

I’m not sure if this has already been established, but the pictures posted to K’s instagram earlier in the day, where were they taken and by whom?

It looks to me that they were taken not at the home but at the front of the apartments across the street from their home (703 Taylor).
Considering certain apartments have a clear view of 1122 and the police were seen pointing to those windows, could it be possible someone in that apartment building and not 500 Queen Rd had spent time with the deceased that afternoon, or previously?

I haven't seen this info before. Defensive wounds were on the hands.

"Stab wounds on the hands of at least one victim appear to be defensive wounds, according to Mabbutt."

Grabbing the knife

Sounds like a very interesting hobby. Kudos to you!

it is my understanding that LE can get a court order to obtain a person’s DNA from some of the websites such as 23andMe and ancestry. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, they can obtain a court order to get DNA from third-party testing sites although it is uncommon. 23andMe only received 5 such requests, and did not hand over information in any of them.

Police can get a court order to obtain a person’s DNA from some of the websites such as
Yes, they can obtain a court order to get DNA from third-party testing sites although it is uncommon. 23andMe only received 5 such requests, and did not hand over information in any of them.
I have read more than one cold case murder solved this way :)

Not sure if others have commented on this. I think they know or suspect who it is and are trying to substantiate it. LE seen taking all kinds of pictures outside and looking out windows to the apt complex right next door makes the most sense to me. It could be anyone of course, but makes sense. <modsnip - OFF LIMITS>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a very interesting hobby. Kudos to you!

it is my understanding that LE can get a court order to obtain a person’s DNA from some of the websites such as 23andMe and ancestry. Please correct me if I am wrong.
ETA: I suppose they may do it just to get the process finished quicker. But if they refused to give them the contact info (NOT the DNA) that wouldn't stymie the investigation

They wouldn't need to. The DNA matches are public unless the person chooses to keep theirs private and then LE wouldn't even know there was a match in the first place to request. They may want to get an order to give the DNA matches name or contact info I suppose.

When you're working it though, you work a bunch of people at a time and if no one pans out you may need to ask ancestry to reach out for you if specifically need one match to solve the riddle so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708