ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE on why they are not releasing the killer's profile:

"It will potentially put more fear, more suspicion on a wide variety of people..."

Does it mean that they don't suspect someone close to the victims with a personal grudge that wouldn't be a danger to the public in general?

According to the interview, the police believe that one or more of the three women were targets, so not E.

That the perp targeted one or more victims doesn't mean he had a personal grudge against them.

my idea about the friends “being summoned” before 911 was called: it doesn’t say anywhere (afaik) there was a phone call made to the friends. it could be that (one of) the surviving girl(s) was/were in an ongoing (text) conversation with friends and told them about something being off - before finding out how bad things were exactly. their friends/e’s siblings live really nearby and could have come over very quickly to then help the girls (who were probably in shock) call 911 as they found out more.

all MOO.

All MOO. As we know so little of the victims and almost nothing of the crime scene, it is pretty much impossible for me to have any meaningful theories. This is basically what I think so far:
Target: could be any of the 3 girls and different theories kinda have different targets in mind. We seem to know the most about K, some about X and very little about M - but frankly very little about any of them.
Targeting: I still think there is something about either the way they were killed or about the crime scene that makes one of the victims stand out as a target. Kinda interesting aspect to me is why were the others killed, too.
Killer: could be any, but atm my order is 1) someone more peripherally known to them 2) a well-known person to them 3) a stranger. I'd be looking at the people they have contacts with at the frats etc, at classes, at work, at any other place they regularly attend.
Not sus to me: dog not barking, surviving roommates sleeping late, surviving roommates not hearing the attack as an attack, drunken repeated phone calls from a person known for repeated phone calls, the exact words used when mentioning the 911 call, the exact words PD uses when clearing someone, PD not sharing everything with us, no arrests yet
Kinda stands out: disproportionate information about the victims nights, no sexual assault, the relative silence of the respective Greek organizations, the very public social media presence of some of the victims
I agree with your assessment as to everything except I believe all 4 murder victims could have been the target.
Things I'd like to know to narrow down my thoughts on this: toxicology reports (drugs taken voluntarily, or maybe involuntarily?); what else was captured on the Ring video (did anyone else enter the house with M and K, or did anyone exit the car with them but sneak in later, or does the video show the drop-off car returning?); the time of E's sister's sorority event; E and X's time line for the missing hours; clarification on the survivors (they went out 'separately' but it's unclear if they went out separately from the other housemates or separately from each other; did either/both bring someone home?); if this was a party house, was anyone living there supplying/selling 'party supplies' at some time in the past? MOO!

Also.....this is EXACTLY what I referred to in my last posted theory. Police changed X and E timeline to being at party til 9p and not returning home until 130a. That's 4.5 hours unaccounted for. There is no way that they possibly have 0 idea where the two were. There is no way they wouldn't post their whereabouts unless it was pertinent to the investigation. Something smells fishy

Yes, I caught that, too. Where were they? Also it came out, not a lot of cameras in the immediate area of the house. Perp knew that, imo.

I don’t remember this from the early-days of the investigation. I looked in the media thread and didn’t see it but I could have missed it.

Was there being a struggle prior to the murders ever retracted by LE? If not, this is a huge piece of of the puzzle. But again, I don’t remember this. Story was done 6 days after the incident.

X's father stated that she had defense wounds which would imply a struggle with the attacker:

Citing an autopsy, he said she fought off her attacker through the end.
“Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid,” Jeffrey Kernodle told CNN affiliate KPHO/KTVK in Avondale, Arizona.

I think it is a mountain ash which does have red berries, as seen in the very upper right of this pic.

Even as I was typing this, I'm thinking it's not so important to know how the perp got in because we just know they did and it is more important to find out WHO they are, not how they got in. Then I think it MAY help figure out whether they are someone known to the victims or a random unknown lurking in the bushes, and IF that's how they entered and left the scene could be important in knowing where LE should be looking for possible security system captures.

Okay, I'm rambling and while some of you folks are just getting up, it's wayyyyyy past my bedtime here.

View attachment 382946
It may help to know how the killer got in to potentially restrict the pool of suspects. If the perp got it through the third floor, which would require some fitness and climbing skills, it’s a safe guess to assume the killer wasn’t an overweight 50 yo man. While they are a lot of young fit males in that town, it still helps a little bit. And if he got out through the third floor, the drop may have injured him. Jumping onto frozen ground is more like jumping on concrete. If anyone saw someone walking funny, limping or something like that, it would be interesting to talk to that person. Hell, he may have even cut himself falling down. Did anyone purchase a first aid kit recently? Does anyone have bandages and didn’t have any before the events of that night?

While this is all pure speculation, knowing how the prep got in and out can be very helpful.

I tend to agree. Who knows who was in that house. Reportedly, it was quite "party" house. People were in and out. Killer could have been a visitor with the downstairs roommates and hid and was not visible when the downstairs girls left and did not return til around 1am. Had plenty of time to scope out the rooms of the intended victims.
Who knows but perhaps the killer was in the house when they got home and made no attempt to conceal himself? I mean, there are five residents, and it's more-or-less an "open" house, meaning all sorts of people come and go at all hours. He might pass himself off as a friend of one of the two ground-floor girls. I don't think that's the likeliest scenario, but it ought to be borne in mind.

I believe all 4 murder victims could have been the target
To me it stood out when K's dad said in an interview that the police told them one person was targeted but would not say which one. On the other hand, there are of course many reasons for and ways how this statement could have been false. So yeah, the idea of 2-6 of them being targets might still be on the table!

Police have not released the identity of the witness who called 911 to the location of the murders Nov. 13 using one of the victims' roommates phones. But police have said the caller was a friend who did not live in the victims' home on King Road.

Seems pretty clear at this point Law Enforcement has their suspect and are watching them, while they obtain the evidence of the suspect's movements in the day before and after the murders. Hence the request for video/photos. LE doesn't just trace the victims' movements. They do the same for suspects. LE are building a case, piece by piece, and will only make the arrest once the entire case is made and signed off by the DA. This will be a high profile case, and LE won't want a defense Attorney finding evidence afterward that LE should have found prior. Hence the request for the Public's help with photos/videos. We should expect arrest within 2 weeks.

To me it stood out when K's dad said in an interview that the police told them one person was targeted but would not say which one. On the other hand, there are of course many reasons for and ways how this statement could have been false. So yeah, the idea of 2-6 of them being targets might still be on the table!
Most recenty the police spokesman stated that they believe one or multiple women were targeted.

I don’t remember this from the early-days of the investigation. I looked in the media thread and didn’t see it but I could have missed it.

Was there being a struggle prior to the murders ever retracted by LE? If not, this is a huge piece of of the puzzle. But again, I don’t remember this. Story was done 6 days after the incident.

Yes it was brought up and discussed briefly. Many believed either the reporter got it wrong or she was referring to the defensive wounds Xana sustained, as referenced by her dad.

I'm not at all convinced that the 'physical struggle' was in reference to Xana fighting with her attacker.

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear at this point Law Enforcement has their suspect and are watching them, while they obtain the evidence of the suspect's movements in the day before and after the murders. Hence the request for video/photos. LE doesn't just trace the victims' movements. They do the same for suspects. LE are building a case, piece by piece, and will only make the arrest once the entire case is made and signed off by the DA. This will be a high profile case, and LE won't want a defense Attorney finding evidence afterward that LE should have found prior. Hence the request for the Public's help with photos/videos. We should expect arrest within 2 weeks.
Based on what do they have a suspect? Video surveillance, witness statements? DNA evidence has likely not been processed yet and it's questionable whether the perp's DNA is on file.

I’d like to start a list of what is a fact (corroborated by LE or family) and what is unknown:

Facts:
EX were at a party Saturday night
X called dad at midnight (ETA call or text?)
MK went to Corner Club and Food Truck Saturday night/Sunday morning
Food truck persons (? Don’t know exactly whom) cleared by LE
Roommates went out independently Saturday night
Roommates came home by 1:00 am
EX arrived home by 1:45
MK arrived home by 1:56 by private party driver
Private party cleared by LE
MK called J 7 times prior to 2:55. He never answered
J cleared by LE
LE says deaths occurred 3 - 4 am
911 call made by roommates phone(s ?) 11:56 am Sunday
Roommates (ETA and others in house) by LE
Other people (?) at house when LE arrived
Dog taken by animal control and released to co-owner (J ?)
No sexual assaults
Killed by multiple stab wounds

Unknown:
Motive
Who was found where
Where EX went after party
How MK got to Club and food truck
Sleeping arrangements (who in what rooms)
Dog’s whereabouts Saturday night/Sunday morning
Did any of them have plans Sunday?
Did roommates see bodies and crime scene?
Were bedrooms locked?
Were invited visitors in house Saturday night / Sunday morning before crime?
Is blood dripping on exterior wall?
Has anyone been questioned as a suspect?
Was there DNA found?

What am I missing? What’s inaccurate?

Last edited:
I was thinking about it, but then came across an article I linked at the very beginning of this thread. Someone in GB decided to measure the forces developing during knife attacks. They appeared huge, but one of the differences in the study was that women tended to not overuse such forces. (Not because they are weaker, i wonder if it is behavioral). Men typically use a lot of force during knife attacks. Of course, there are exceptions, and one could reason that a woman is not exhausting herself during such attacks and could potentially kill more people. Only the police knows how it looked, what the impact was. If the only person the killer had to fight with was X, it could be a woman. If E were awake and put up some fight, I'd say, it would take a man. But we don't know the details.
There was a lot of discussion last thread about defensive wounds and that the presence of them on a victim did not mean they fought back, but that they put up their hands/arms to defend themself. This is true, but it should be understood that fighting back and defending one self are not mutually exclusive.

When Xana’s Dad was talking about his daughter’s injuries, he said she was ”bruised, torn by the knife”. If this is what he was told by LE, I think it paints a very graphic picture of X’s injuries. Bruising indicates a struggle, hit with fists or blunt objects, or possibly from the guard on the knife handle. The bruises are separate from the knife injuries, themselves. The fact that he described the knife injuries as “torn” seems to indicate the knife was used in a slashing manner as will be seen when a throat is cut or perhaps plunging, then tearing. You see this type of injury in an evisceration. I’m sorry to be so graphic, but I think the choice of the word ”torn” was telling and accounts for the scene being described as horrific and that even seasoned officers were deeply affected by what they saw in the house.
I have often considered the possibility that X woke up as E was being killed and that she tried to aid E by assaulting the killer.
“Bruises, torn by the knife," Jeff Kernodle told Arizona news outlet 3TV/ CBS 5, adding that her injuries showed signs of putting up a fight against her attacker. "She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,"

6 bedroom house, two girls on first floor, one girl with boyfriend on second floor I assume they are in one bedroom. Two girls on third floor. Does that mean a bedroom on second floor was empty.
Maybe, maybe not. There is some speculation that one of the two survivors had moved into the 2nd bedroom on the second floor. (See the Johnny Law video)

IF the perp knew them and didn't have a grievance with at least one of them, what was the perp's motive to kill?
I would have said sexual. Even though they've said there were no signs of sexual assault, I don't think it necessarily means it wasn't sexually motivated. Maybe the others in the house spooked the perp? Maybe the unexpected confrontation with the male victim caught him off gaurd? Something might not have gone to plan and he just fled ASAP before sexual interference. But he would have most definitely got a kick out of it afterwards. He's probably got off on it since. Sorry to be abit gross.

Being a true crime fan for a long long time it's always been something we are told that its really hard to stab someone without hurting yourself also, and that It would be near impossible to stab 4 people to death without doing some noticeable damage to yourself also. Do we have any doctors/pathologist/corner or forensic experts that know if this is actually true or just something you hear on TV shows.

If this is true then I wonder why they are not asking people about 'do you know anyone that suddenly turned up with injuries to their hands' etc. seems like something I would be doing if the above is true. if it is not and it is possible for a skilled person who is careful to stab 4 ppl to death without injuring themselves then nvm.
I wonder if the killer wore some type of puncture resistant gloves. They sell them on Amazon. I even own a pair that I use when dicing/slicing vegetables and other things. Haven’t got cut once thanks to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23