ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't 3 press conferences in a fortnight actually quite a lot?
I appreciate that as a local, the frustration must be high but you also have the Comms guy who's giving separate media interviews very often.

Anyway, appreciating your frustration it's surely past time that a reward was announced?
It’s unlikely they will offer a reward while they are still combing through over a thousand tips.
That normally comes later after tips are exhausted, they are most often used in cold cases or cases that are going cold.

When Ted Buddy was on his spree, some details from witnesses were that his name was Ted, he drove a tan VW and had a cast on his arm. Do you remember that Ted Bundy's girlfriend called police and said, "my boyfriend's name is Ted and he drives a tan VW and I found plaster of Perris? (cast making material). But I seem to recall that her call wasn't investigated for a long time, if at all.
According to an interview I saw with her, in a documentary on ID, she called it in , said her bf was named Ted and asked if it was a tan VW or a gold VW. The person on the tip line said it was a gold VW so the gf said 'never mind' and that convinced her she was worried for no reason.

She admitted that she was looking for a reason not to believe it could be Ted.

The house itself being targeted is an interesting thought. Is there someone with something to gain with the house being likely unsellable and unrentable? Commercial interest? Just another possible angle. Moo
Hadn’t thought of that - appreciate different ways of looking at things!

Not sure how it would play out. Historically, the house has been a cash cow. The current owner, as I understand it, lives out-of-state, but I don’t know how long he’s owned the property. It would be a very easy place to sell, at least before the quadruple murder.

I’m not seeing it, but it’s intriguing.

I don’t think they could have eliminated based on DNA
It was too soon for those close, I don’t think DNA could have been collected and run and compared in that short of time.
I think they used alibis, and with so many leaving town this may have been done by phone

jmo
This article is four years old but it shows why small towns who cannot afford it often call in FBI technology in high profile cases.

FBI plans ‘Rapid DNA’ network for quick database checks on arrestees
New machines create DNA profiles in less than two hours, rather than days or weeks

“A “Rapid DNA” machine can analyze the DNA in a swab and produce a profile of 20 specific loci on the DNA strand in less than two hours.
Some local police departments and prosecutors have been using Rapid DNA machines for about five years to solve crimes.”

Yes, dogs can be weird.

I do wonder if Murphy was a protective dog or not. Maybe he was very laid back because of the party house experience.

@jcamh---I hear ya about the cattle dog experience. My daughter has a VERY protective blue heeler and she's had a very hard time getting him to accept her boyfriends over the years. lol I love that she has a good guard dog, but I have to dog sit on some weekends so she has a break.
I joke that my dog is the reason I'm not married, since he won't let anyone get within two feet of me.

It’s unlikely they will offer a reward while they are still combing through over a thousand tips.
That normally comes later after tips are exhausted, they are most often used in cold cases or cases that are going cold.
Yes, maybe you're right. I don't know - DutyRon keeps mentioning it.

Also from an LE perspective, I do appreciate that with every public appeal you might be worried you'd be flooded with misleading information from the public.

I heard from one of the USTV channels I linked to a few pages pack that Steve Goncalves is planning to speak at one of the vigils. Maybe he will make an emotional public appeal to the perp's family as well as for public info re checking camera footage again?

MOO! What we ~don’t~ need is more guns in Moscow right now! I posted in an earlier thread that we’ve already had one accidental discharge since the quadruple murder - dude showing his wife how to use his to protect herself. SMDH.
suggestion, as you're local

what about the university and fire department providing free security checks for student housing?
or issuing some kind of simple 5 point plan re home security? ( maybe with product suggestions?)
or university asking letting agents to conduct those if they're requested?

( I know that university is providing security assistance to and from campus but maybe the risk is in homes & many student rentals have poor security)

I think there are people who will rent it as it will be "famous". I can't see girls renting it, perhaps guys. I know from personal experience that if there was a murder in the house, you have to legally disclose that on a home that you put up for sale. I think it will be hard to rent or sell initially, but if the owners/sellers want to rent it or sell it, all they have to do is lower the price.

<modsnip - off topic>
I know from personal experience other states require such disclosure; I also know from personal experience that’s not the case in Idaho.
Section 55-2508 – Idaho State Legislature

Last edited by a moderator:

Five cars but only four victims? Two weeks later? This seems very strange, but it is also very early and I am not fully awake.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

sorry I didn't have the time to go through 16 threads of past posts and I hadn't heard that mentioned anywhere in the msm shows I did watch on this crime

Anyway, afaik - from past cases - the motivations aren't limited to some kind of twisted altruism.
eg the most infamous, recent case you'll all be aware of is Chris Watts.
You've got a range within that crime type - so, some perps do not commit suicide at the same time.

Anyway, after Bill Thompson, Prosecutor comments tonight it looks like this comparison is redundant. Unless Thompson has it wrong or misspoke, it now appears that LE believe that there's no personal connection or prior relationship between perp & any of the victims.

Feels like we're now back where we started when we first heard about this case - psycho creeper type.

It never made sense to me why LE would say it was "targeted" and that the public wasn't in danger.

Anytime a killing like that occurs, there's a perp out there who is willing to slaughter for his own needs. That's always a danger to the public. Maybe LE was just trying to calm the chaos before it started, but I feel it was in poor taste.

Envy.
Here I am sitting in my cheap, but still unaffordable off campus studio apartment with barebones furnishings. Partial scholarship with student loans. Two part time jobs just to be able to afford a treat like a delivery pizza and a six pack once a week. Birds Eye view of of a (to me) upscale spacious house. All are driving nice cars. Always having people over. Laughter. Music.Money to go to bars and clubs and eat out. I’d be spending that on my electric bill. Where’s that other blond girl been lately? So she shows up in a gorgeous Rover this weekend. Over a year of seeing this had taken its toll.
Can’t take their laughter anymore. I need to stop this.
*I know this is rather dramatic, but a possibility none the less.
What’s different this particular weekend? Kaylee’s back in town.
I’ve wondered too if they were killed simply because they were happy, free, fearless, smart, independent, pretty and knew how to set boundaries. IMO

I really think the calls to J might be important. I'm guessing he either slept through them, ignored them, or had his phone ringer turned off, but that many calls seems significant.

I wonder if the girls left any voice messages? Since J was an "ex" I have to wonder if something happened earlier in the evening that shook up the girls--something that J would be interested in? Maybe someone all three knew caused some issue? I only wonder that because it's not typical to call an ex, but I could see doing it if J was familiar with the person they'd run into.

Just thinking aloud. Theorizing.

That's very much my take on it as well. Some loser who compares his life with the lives of those vivacious, good-looking college girls, always partying, sexually satisfied, with nothing but the promise of a good life ahead. He has nothing against any of them on a personal level, but as representatives of a group, he loathes them, and might even blame them indirectly for his woeful status. It's not the profile of a psychopath, but of a mass murderer. If he should happen to become suicidal at some point down the road, he might very well go into a public place and start killing people at random. Right now he's not suicidal, and wants to assuage his feelings without getting caught. My opinion only.
I believe this is all plausible and the spree is a legitimate concern I have, too.

Well, I Said They Would Have A POI It A potential Suspect By next Monday Or Tuesday And They Very Well Could Have Someone in Their Sites, Tonites Vigil May tell us Something is It being televised? sounds awful To Say That, but Sadly this Is The world We live in Nowadays, getting back To Suspects, It’s starting To get late in the game, Coming up on 3 Weeks, sure Hope LE Has A lot more Information Than They’re telling Us, Would Hate to See this go Cold… They just Have To Have Some DNA , As long As they Have That There Will Always Be Hope! No matter How Long it Takes…Let’s All Keep our fingers crossed…. JMO

Five cars but only four victims? Two weeks later? This seems very strange, but it is also very early and I am not fully awake.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
4 victims, but 5 girls living in the house hence 5 cars parked.
1 or 2 of seized cars belong to surviving girls, no doubt

I really think the calls to J might be important. I'm guessing he either slept through them, ignored them, or had his phone ringer turned off, but that many calls seems significant.

I wonder if the girls left any voice messages? Since J was an "ex" I have to wonder if something happened earlier in the evening that shook up the girls--something that J would be interested in? Maybe someone all three knew caused some issue? I only wonder that because it's not typical to call an ex, but I could see doing it if J was familiar with the person they'd run into.

Just thinking aloud. Theorizing.
Did Anyone Notice At The food truck, One Of The girls Was glued to Her Cell phone The entire time, I don’t think She even looked up more than once or twice, Wonder What she was looking at it or Who She Was texting, If you haven’t seen it go take A look, She Was completly occupied With Her Smartphone…JMO

Also, We Haven’t Heard Anything regarding The girls nite out At The Dive Bar, And supposedly They Have 2 or 3 cameras Inside And One outside, Nothings been mentioned, Could That hold some vital clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie