ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a murder here in Australia (Toyah Cordingley) where her large dog was present. The murderer tied the dog to a tree, and killed Toyah. Not much the dog could do about it once he was isolated from the murder.
yeah i'm wondering if Murphy was crated or even put in a different room (wasn't there a spare bedroom?). There have been home burglaries in my city where the thieves rounded the dogs up and locked them in a room while they went through the rest of the house.

Now the head prosecutor Bill Thompson is saying that maybe the house was the target, and not necessarily any particular individual or individuals. Interesting why he's now throwing that out there. And LE has the initial 911 that they can always release if they reach a dead end on leads. The fact they still haven't released it yet tells me that they are hot on the trail.

I don't really get what he means by that. Maybe the perp just wanted to kill and knew the layout of that house so he figured it would be a good spot?

That sounds pretty far-fetched but maybe he meant something else.

I sure hope they're hot on the trail, but the longer this continues, the cooler I think they're getting. JMOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting so frustrated with this ‘house was the target’ v ‘person in the house was the target.’
Both mean exactly the same thing. Unless of course we have a new brand of killer who only targets homes with three stories, 2 balconies and sliding doors? Killers don’t target residences, they target people.
LE have been clear, there was a target. This also makes total sense, the majority of crimes of this nature have a target and the target isn’t a ‘house’ it’s a ‘person,’

Maybe the home's architecture made him mad!

Just kidding, of course, but it sounds so odd.

Personally "the house was the target" to me means anyone living there, any of those college kids from that house. Person was the target is a specific person in the house. And I do think it could help solve the case.
Cops said it was targeted, so don't be scared. That now looks wrong, so prosecuting atty used weasel words to say yeah it was targeted, but it was the house not the occupants! This is to soften the transition to next phase, where they say killings were random act of psychopath, so yeah, be scared. IMO.

Last edited:
Idaho college murders: Slain student's father says she had stalker | Fox News. So whether or not law enforcement can confirm, Kaylee’s father is saying she told him that she had a stalker…but no one knows who it was? That is so odd- I feel like she would definitely have told her friends about the person so they could watch out for him. She was clearly worried enough to tell her dad. And if it was online stalker I’d think there would be a digital record.

not silly, it's a pretty important question. were the surviving roommates spared only because they locked their doors? or would they have been spared regardless?
I’ve wondered if the two were spared because the unsub was trying to impress one of them with what he did on the second and third floor. Something like how John Hinkley thought he would impress Jodie Foster by shooting Reagan.

The depravity, violence & pure evil of the act makes me think this killer isn’t someone prone to intimate friendships. MOO. (Wanted to say that ) I could be wrong. It’s happened.
I agree. With the post you quoted as well in regards to perp suicide - I also think of someone like OJ who had zero remorse and I think felt his wife got what she deserved even until this day. I think OJ was and is fully satisfied that he did what he did.

I think this killer would maybe commit suicide if HE faced a jail sentence as opposed to remorse. He'll cry for himself, not the victims.

Can I ask you your opinion on something? The fire chief said the police were first to arrive on scene, which makes sense. They are a volunteer fire department and the two times I’ve had to call an ambulance, police showed up first, I’m assuming because they’re already patrol on the area. The fire chief said that the first responders from the fire and EMS didn’t go inside or transport anyone. I’m assuming because police knew it was a crime scene, the victims were beyond saving and they didn’t want them to contaminate the crime scene.

Does fire/EMS always wait for police to go inside and clear a scene before letting them in? I’m just wondering how that initial response from the police would have looked like and what would have made them wait to let fire/EMS go inside, especially based on the 911 call. If someone on the call said there was someone not moving, would they have fire/EMS wait for them to check everything? Would they make them wait if the caller said someone wasn’t moving and they saw blood? Would they make them wait if they said the doors were locked and they couldn’t get ahold of their roommates?

I understand that we don’t know how long there was between when the police got there vs. when fire/EMS got there, especially since it is a volunteer fire department, but I can’t imagine there was more than 5 minutes or so between the two, especially since it’s not a rural VFD. I could be wrong about that though!

Link to fire chief statement:

It depends on what was said on the 911 call. If it's strictly a medical call and there is no safety risk to the paramedics they will go right in. If the caller said that the door(s) are locked and the person on the other side is not responding then police may be needed to breach the door. Paramedics do not do door kicks.
The caller may have said that they think their friend(s) had passed out after drinking and were not responding. If I was their age and had been out partying the night before I would assume my friend(s) were passed out and perhaps had choked on their vomit or something. I wouldn't think that four of my friends had been murdered.

Last edited:
So if this report is accurate about there being one target, then why were the others murdered? If it's true that they were all murdered in their beds then why didn't they just murder the target and leave? There has to be more to this doesn't there?

it's called "extensive homicide," which results when the killer is in such a state that they kill their target plus others. We see it when killers choose to use a method of killing that automatically puts others at risk (weapon fire), but it also happens in families (person wants to kill one person, kills them all). There's also extensive suicide, when a person wants to kill themselves but decides to take others with them.

This is rooted in the mental states of the perpetrator. The example I know best is an extensive suicide in which an employee of a mental health clinic (the receptionist), killed a number of co-workers before killing self. But there are examples of employees wanting to kill Horrible Boss, but deciding to kill others around the Boss as well.

There could also have been a "reason" in the killer's mind regarding silencing the people on the middle floor when the target was upstairs, so as to lessen chances of anyone (particularly a male) coming to the victim's aid. And, perhaps, one of the upstairs victims was killed merely because she woke up and saw something.

I don’t want to be overtly negative but the comms have been all over the place.

The media constantly shopping for answers with different LE hasn’t helped but they need to expect that.

They haven’t exactly exuded confidence and I’m sure they sometimes say I don’t know that when they really mean, I can’t disclose it, which leads to people thinking - How can you not know that?

I was writing today along the same lines. Or he pretend that he was delivery man, searching around in the house to find the person 'who made the order'. A delivery man who will be ready to apologise that he got the wrong address and to walk away if the housemates start being suspicious.
I wonder if the ‘delivery guy’ situation would still be plausible in the middle of the night ?
I think whoever it was either laid in wait for everyone to go to bed or came into the house once everyone was sleeping..

It depends on what was said on the 911 call. If it's strictly a medical call and there is no safety risk to the paramedics they will go right in. If the caller said that the door(s) are locked and the person on the other side is not responding then police may be needed to breach the door. Paramedics do not do door kicks.
The caller may have said that they think their friend(s) had passed out after drinking and were no responding. If I was their age and had been out partying the night before I would assume my friend(s) were passed out and perhaps had choked on their vomit or something. I wouldn't think that four of my friends had been murdered.
Oh I agree. Even if I saw blood I don’t think my mind would go to murder. Honestly I would probably think suicide if that were the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member