ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ventuc

Reaction score
I think he may have been talking about a friend, possibly boyfriend of Kaylee's who calls or texts daily and hadn't, even though noone knew Kaylee was dead yet.
But wouldn’t you think that person (if it’s the perp) would think to call send messages anyway, to not throw up any red flags?

cottonweaver

Reaction score
Look at the photo at 9:03 in this video from Fox News. This was taken somewhere up behind the house in the wooded area. I can't tell what this is? Garbage? Garments? IDK.
To me it just looked like the ground had been disturbed there - the leaves were pushed out of the way and you could see the dirt ground underneath.
looks like some kind of textiles. yes, I guess, you'd want LE to collect that even though it looks like it's been there a while

are the people wandering around photographing LE or are they press? ( I don't know when that clip was filmed)

Emerald1328

Reaction score
In his latest interview w Martha Macallum, Fox, I believe, he said the coroner gave him a lot of information.
Yep so I just listened to that portion again. Here’s what was said:

Reporter: One of the things you said last night about the two of them having fallen asleep in the same bed. That was new information. Is that the case, that they were actually in the same bed?

Kaylee’s dad: Um, to me it wasn’t new. The coroner had shared a bunch of information about there. There was some photos that if you knew the house design, you would have seen there was a picture of Kaylee’s bed and it was made. There was nothing in there, so it was kind of a process of elimination. If you’d been in the home, if you knew the inside information…like, I knew that was my daughter’s room, so to me that had been out but I’m sure they’re not happy with me saying that and I didn’t mean to say something that was supposed to be under wraps. I’ve told them you’ve gotta work with me, you gotta tell me what to say and what not to say and I’ll listen. But sometimes they’re scared to give me advice and I understand.

IMO, he was told that information by the coroner, but he’s trying to make it seem like it wasn’t such a big deal that he said it because most people should have been able to figure it out by a process of elimination if you saw the photo.

megs1477

Reaction score
I'd like to think there's 3 scenarios right now from the investigative POV:

1. You have no DNA of the killer

2. You have DNA but no matches in any database.

3. You have DNA with a match

We can rule out 3 since they would have arrested the perp by now. That leaves 1 and 2.
I am going to play devil's advocate and say having someone's DNA is not always an open and shut case. What if that person has an air tight alibi? Or was known to have frequented the house or some other scenario that could give them a solid defense? Sometimes they hold off on arrest to collect further evidence. I have no reason to believe this is the case, I am just throwing it out there. There is a case I am researching where the Detective has even publicly said he knows the husband killed his wife who went missing, he was just never able to prove it, so there were never charges brought.

cujenn81

Reaction score
Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17'
ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

Bringing forward from last thread -

I was a December college graduate (although, not from this college) and only needed to complete one final course my last semester to graduate. It wasn’t even really a class, in the traditional sense. It was an applied psych research study — I was required to conduct a study of my own choosing throughout the course of the semester, write a lengthy paper (about similar past studies, the methods I used, the subjects that participated, the results and their statistical significance, whether my initial hypothesis was supported, etcetera) about it, and give an oral presentation on my findings. Nearly every upper level course was structured to prepare students for this huge, final research project. I was only required to attend an actual class (in the traditional sense) twice that semester — once at the very beginning of the semester to obtain approval for my chosen study topic and the day I presented the results of my study.

I think this is pretty typical for most fields of study — and by that I mean students being required to complete some form of “practical study” in order to graduate from the program. The education field requires future graduates to student teach for a semester, for example. It makes sense that Kaylee would be working as an intern before she graduated in December.

cottonweaver

Reaction score
If he is young he may feel it’s a better option than being caught if he feels they are truly on to him. IMO
agree and think this is another reason that MPD will want very tight media control. I can't imagine LE ever wanting to publicise new leads until they have arrested somebody and I can't imagine them even hinting at that with the parents. It's too risky.

Imagine the uproar if somebody hinted that his time was near and then he killed himself

al66pine

Reaction score
Tasers leave marks. I would hope the LE would release this if factual because it adds a new element about what's important to be vigilant about.
ONE. Public Safety?
If Med Examiner's Autopsy Report referred to Taser marks on one/some victims, LE could publicly disclose ---- a Taser was used.
But why? So the public watches for ppl brandishing Tasers? Would this help keep the public safe?
Does it make sense for someone on a street/sidewalk to think-- Oh, somebody wearing a hoodie is approaching, but I do not see a Taser in hand, so no danger to me?

If ppl are situationally aware/alert about potential dangers to their personal safety, they are cautious, can/may perceive others who are potential threats.
With or w'out a visible Taser, stun gun, knife, gun, other weapon.

OTOH, ppl out and about w their eyes glued to their cells may be (are likely to be imo) oblivious to others approaching them in a threatening manner.
With or w'out a visible Taser, stun gun, knife, gun, other weapon.

TWO. False Confessions?
Let's say a Taser was used in these Moscow murders, and LE publicly releases that info. During later interviews, how can LE distinguish whether a person knows of the Taser because of MSM reports or because that person committed the murders or is somehow involved in the crimes.
As @OldCop posted, releasing investigatory findings can lead to false confessions and cause LE to needlessly waste time sorting them.
If a Taser was used, then after an arrest, during discovery, the state provides Autopsy Report, etc. to the def't. & counsel, who gather evidence to present.
Then at trial, Med. Examiner testifies; def. counsel cross-examines ME/other witnesses on it, etc.
Imo seems that's the time for Taser info (if applicable to this case) to be made public --- as part of all the evidence the jury uses in deliberating to find the accused guilty or not guilty.

JM2Cents.
ETA. Taser Leaving Marks? I was not sure. As OP stated, they do.
Found this
"Taser Injuries

Skin effects:

• May leave marks at site of probe contact, called “signature marks”
  • Small puncture wound from barbs"

Last edited:

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
Why does the Dad have his daughter’s phone? Shouldn’t it be in a forensics lab for biological and computer testing?
I believe the family has access to her cloud account and not her actual device. This was evident from the very early interviews by her sister (and her dad's statements about the shared passwords). MOO

Soulmagent

On Time Out
Reaction score
Why does everyone mention the perp may commit suicide? The killer has no feelings. Why on earth would he kill himself?
Actually it apears he has an abundance of obessive feelings. Based on the crime commited. I am not seeing healthy feels but i suspect this person has some emotional issues he blames other people for.

OrangeRhyme

Reaction score
Just reiterating my opinion on the Fox interview (which is different from most of comments thus far on the thread). Just my interpretation, no need to do the pile on :)

Behavior patterns -

(a) first time he says it I think he's talking about law enforcement's actions directly after getting the phone info from the family and
(b) the second time I think he's talking about the killer's behavior during the murders.

I've listened to it three times at least (plus lots of rewinds) and not sure my mind will change.
"It definitely helped them, I know, the behavior footprint afterwards. It definitely helped get some more things in the works"

"I do have some inkling, that there was some behavior difference, I call them a footprint, when you commit a crime, you do different behaviors"

Behavior of her or someone she knew?
"Behavior of the victims"

Yeah I've listened to it a few times and it's impossible to infer anything meaningful.

BondGirl007

Reaction score
Perhaps the history of the house. I believe the current residents were all new occupants this school year (upper-class members living off campus).

ETA: per Kaylee's sister's earlier interviews.
I think the house was targeted for the opportunity that it was for the psychopath - near where he lived, could get in the back, etc.

shineon77

Reaction score
At the Sigma Chi frat house, within 5 min walking distance
Are we totally sure about that he lived at the frat house? Why was his car parked in the front of the house if it was in walking distance? I know, this can also be possible too, even if it's close by..he may have been planning on driving that morning etc. I don't mean to question you but didn't know this.

Sandy007

Reaction score
But wouldn’t you think that person (if it’s the perp) would think to call send messages anyway, to not throw up any red flags?
Dad was asked to report behavioral changes, which he did.

But what you said makes sense. If the perpetrator was so smart as he wants everyone to believe, they should try to avoid demonstrating changes in their behaviour. Whether he can do this and carry on as normal, whatever normal means to them, that is a different story. I doubt they would.

North_Idaho_Nony

Reaction score
yes

my ' presumably ' post is 11 hours old. think that was posted hours before Steve's latest interview was broadcast .

I read this recently and it's now much clearer that Steve has assumed
My quibble absolutely wasn’t with your post at all; it was directed at a reported who didn’t have the correct facts. Apologies for not making that clear.

TheBorez

Reaction score
Tonight at 5:52 CST Wolf Blitzer on CNN reports Moscow LE now says a sixth person was living in the house?!??!?! I know I didn't misunderstand this but WTF? If true, this might be my candidate for either the suspect or someone who is being protected because they know too much. This is hard to believe given that, if true, it didn't leak before now.
Surely not?!?

cottonweaver

Reaction score
Yep so I just listened to that portion again. Here’s what was said:

Reporter: One of the things you said last night about the two of them having fallen asleep in the same bed. That was new information. Is that the case, that they were actually in the same bed?

Kaylee’s dad: Um, to me it wasn’t new. The coroner had shared a bunch of information about there. There was some photos that if you knew the house design, you would have seen there was a picture of Kaylee’s bed and it was made. There was nothing in there, so it was kind of a process of elimination. If you’d been in the home, if you knew the inside information…like, I knew that was my daughter’s room, so to me that had been out but I’m sure they’re not happy with me saying that and I didn’t mean to say something that was supposed to be under wraps. I’ve told them you’ve gotta work with me, you gotta tell me what to say and what not to say and I’ll listen. But sometimes they’re scared to give me advice and I understand.

IMO, he was told that information by the coroner, but he’s trying to make it seem like it wasn’t such a big deal that he said it because most people should have been able to figure it out by a process of elimination if you saw the photo.
very helpful to see a transcript - thank you.

do you think it's realistic that Coroner showed him photos of an empty room? ( Kaylee's)
is he also implying that the cops have told him recently - after the vigil - to not mention where she was killed? or , do you think he means further back, they told him?

Status
Not open for further replies.