ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know a single case where DNA from unconvicted persons are put in any database so that’s a red herring.

I have been working in forensic DNA consulting and study since 1987.

If a person volunteers DNA to law enforcement, I am almost certain that it is stored. Just like fingerprints. The FBI has my fingerprints because of what I do for a living, and I am certain that they are in a collective database that can be run at will.

If you have information that DNA is destroyed after collection and exoneration, I would appreciate it. But I just can't see law enforcement destroying such a potential treasure trove.

My opinion.

Guys listen. Even if the killer fled the country and went to a country without extradition, the United States will still make a deal with that country to where they can extradite him.
There’s deals between countries being made all the time, they’ll come up with a deal.

Is it possible to override the time stamp on a Ring camera video? In other words, if my alibi is to be verified by the Ring camera at my house, could I change the timestamp on the video to make it appear that I was home?
A bit more complicated answer than a quick yes/no. So, there are two variables here: is the ring camera signed up on the cloud storage plan, and is the camera set to the correct date/time PRIOR to the recording?

Assuming that the camera is NOT set correctly and is NOT stored on Ring's cloud, you could potentially have a video snippet that is showing the wrong information.

However: If any one of those two variables is not present then there is no easy way you can spoof a date on a ring recording.

I can’t seem to find the post with the house diagrams… which bedroom on floor 3 was KG’s?

Also, have the police in this situation actually released the info that they know they have obtained evidence in the form of the DNA of the killer? Is this a fact that's been released?

Because if the police don't even know they have the DNA of the killer(s), how can they rule anyone out on DNA alone?

Does the neighbor's statement actually reveal that the police DO have the killer(s) DNA, or the DNA of someone they think might be the killer(s)?

From the News Nation little crime lab bit, they made it seem like there was a lot of DNA and trace evidence, but it would be figuring out who all has been in that house and when, that will be the issue. Since so many people have spent time there. I can imagine they are first detecting how many DNA profiles they have, then identifying them one by one, and using that a starting point for suspects.

Is it possible to override the time stamp on a Ring camera video? In other words, if my alibi is to be verified by the Ring camera at my house, could I change the timestamp on the video to make it appear that I was home?
No. About all you could do is somehow put it in the wrong timezone, but people would know what timezone it was really recorded in and could therefore figure out the correct time.

Well even if he does have a verifiable alibi, he now has a target on his back again IMO. Wonder how HIS parents feel about that?

I believe I have stated several times that one of the reasons that LE does not disclose a lot of information to victim's families (my own included) is because of concerns for vigiliante justice.

This person could be someone LE hasn't fully cleared but didn't want to disclose or he could now be the unfortunate soul who will now be stalked on social media and may now need to utilize police resourses for protection from threats.

Those same resources could be better used letting LE hunt down a killer with sufficient evidence that the other families may see a conviction.

Guys listen. Even if the killer fled the country and went to a country without extradition, the United States will still make a deal with that country to where they can extradite him.
There’s deals between countries being made all the time, they’ll come up with a deal.
I really, really hope so. I also hope that if someone left the country and that person turns out being responsible for this grotesque crime, that whoever helped him in his escape is charged.

When he says the means of death “don’t match”, what does that mean to others? As in more than one killer? Or different method?
My heart hurts for these families but the media is taking advantage of them, IMO.
Maybe different weapons were used?

Her dad. But not necessarily more severe than E and X, just more severe than Maddie's. Kaylee and Maddie's ashes are both at his house and he had access to the autopsy info for both girls (can't confirm if he paid for Maddie's cremation as well but it did seem to imply that)
The below is strictly my opinion only.
I hate to say this but maybe contrary to what was released there could be a chance she was the only one sexually assaulted. he may have killed everyone except her so he could assault her and then kill her. I hope this is not the case.

IMO...The second-floor couple was killed because the suspect determined it to be more prudent that he eliminate them first rather than run the risk of encountering them on the way back down after being awakened. There also was the possibility of escape while the suspect was still attacking above which wouldn't bode well for the perp. Unaware of the survivors on the ground level, killing the second-floor pair reassured the murderer of adequate time to apparently inflict the additional brutality referenced by SG. I believe the suspect did know one or more of the three resident victims personally. I get that these were college students and not a large representation of the gun owner's demographic, but I still would bet on some degree of personal knowledge versus luck, that a knife-wielding perp seemingly was unconcerned with being shot. There are a lot of variables, I know, but just thinking out loud.

All IMO of course.

If a person volunteers DNA to law enforcement, I am almost certain that it is stored. Just like fingerprints. The FBI has my fingerprints because of what I do for a living, and I am certain that they are in a collective database that can be run at will.

If you have information that DNA is destroyed after collection and exoneration, I would appreciate it. But I just can't see law enforcement destroying such a potential treasure trove.

My opinion.

Not in any database accessible by LE in general, was my point.

By definition that's not like fingerprints.

BTW, nearly all LE involved in criminal investigations have given up their DNA and they (and their unions) have concerns as well. The lid is on that information pretty tight - although of course under the right circumstances, a subpoena can be issued by a court.

I never said it was destroyed. Who wants to have to go the expense of having these officers' DNA analyzed again...and again...and again. Firemen, EMT's, consultants, crime scene photographers, etc, etc. also are asked to give samples - but they are not public.

The samples are very small and it's the computer-generated results of the very complex information that are kept in long term storage. Samples degrade.

But it is not "just like fingerprints." If the FBI has your fingerprints, you signed a form allowing them to collect them (or you were treated as a suspect, which I assume is not the case since it's your employment). So of course they can use it again (but local LE has no access to your DNA results through any national database!)

Your fingerprints - yes, those are in national databases (although mine are there because of the DMV system in my state - not because my employer also requested them - employer has them in a private database).

If we could actually use all the DNA collected by LE in this way, I think the courts would ban it. It doesn't happen. It's NOT like fingerprints! But maybe someday, it will be. I see no laws of this type in the offing at present.

In that case, the DNA wasn't collected from the person, but rather from trash or other public places. I realize that I am parsing, and I apologize for that, but I feel it is a relevant distinction here.
If LE needed hoodie-guys DNA they could get it surreptitiously even if he has left the country.

If they need it, they will get it.

Most people misunderstand how the law works, how DNA profiling works, and how genealogical DNA searches actually work.

MOSCOW HOMICIDE UPDATE - DECEMBER 5, 2022

Part of the update:

"Using tips and leads, investigators have identified an incident involving Kaylee at a local business, which may have been the stalker reference she made to friends and family. In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her. Detectives contacted both males and learned the two were attempting to meet women at the business, this was corroborated through additional investigation. Based on available information, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and not an ongoing pattern of stalking. No evidence suggests the two males were involved in the murders. Investigators continue looking into information about Kaylee having a stalker. Information about a potential stalker or unusual occurrences should go through the Tip Line. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam