ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branmuffin wrote this fine post:

What an excellent set of topics. When I was first trained, we were told never to use the terms "sociopath" or "psychopath" and yet, researchers all around the world kept using them. Sometime after 2000, there was a cautious attempt by psychologists to redefine these terms and discuss them. This discussion, in fact, is stalling a new edition of DSM from coming out (well, it's just part of the reason).

SPECT analysis/MRI analysis gave a glimpse into the brains of people who had been diagnosed with APD (Antisocial PD). In theory, the PD's are supposed to be mostly learned, mostly nurture. But by the 1980's, every could see there was *some* biological/genetic/epigenetic basis to it. It ran in families. Kids who were adopted by non-APD people whose parents were APD had a greater chance of being APD, etc.

And then the brain results started coming in (various parts of the brain now implicated - not completely understood yet). And so, according to DSM, this can't be strictly a character/personality disorder. It has its own genes and physiology, It appears that it can be caused by lesions in the brain as well (acquired).

SO, now people are looking at other personality disorders - especially the Cluster B disorders that are so close to APD and doing brain research on Histrionic PD, Narcissistic PD, etc. I don't think the brain scans are as dramatic as with Antisocial - but the research is new and, well, putting the right people into studies is a highly controversial topic.

ANYWAY, let's start with the milder term (sociopath, or Antisocial PD). Almost exactly the same things could be said about Narcissistic PD, so keep that in mind. If a person has a baseline personality of Antisocial but also shows features of other antisocial traits from other diagnostic categories, what do we call them? Increasingly, journals in psychology are using the term "sociopath." I heard a colleague say recently that the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath is that they are both capable of lopping your head off with a sword, but the sociopath knows better than to carry the head around with him.

Sociopaths (and more rarely psychopaths) DO find their way into management positions. When they do, it's an awful thing for the people who work under them. They are vaguely scary to most people with sensitivity to the emotions of those around them and they may indeed be capable of almost any sort of fraud, lie, embezzlement, theft - and ultimately, nepotism, other law breaking etc. How far will they go to cover up what they do? Very far and that's when we see an Alex Murdaugh kind of person. Narcissistic PD is similar. The good news is that while Narcissistic PD is increasing rather dramatically according to psychometrists and their journals, Antisocial PD is not increasing as rapidly (it's thought to have gone down dramatically since 1970, mostly due to improved birth control and availability of reproductive rights, but that remains to be seen).

In any hierarchy, there's a top dog. I've been pretty amazed at how straightforward and congenial Chief Fry has been in his leadership role. Looks like a great guy to me. As compared to those young people who are coming out on the body cams and lying or falsely apologizing to police. They aren't sorry they got caught - they are going to do it again the next week or the next day (Sept 1-2, LE records from Moscow PD). Yet, the leaders of these houses (not just the ones on fraternity row, but including some private houses where students live) seem to need this quality of lying, dissembling, pointing blame elsewhere, etc. Are these situations creating Future Leaders who are antisocial?

How far does such a person go with their behavior? What if they have a natural tendency not to check their conscience before acting? It turns out that the right pre-frontal cortex does a check on one's action as to its morality, while the left pre-frontal cortex handles the same information to gauge practicality and to be efficient and methodical. So, if I really were to bet money on something, and I only bet $1, my left pre-frontal cortex would say, Okay, that's not an outrageous violation of practicality. But if I decide to withdraw all my available savings to bet on something (it hurts just to type that - as in, I feel my stomach tighten), my left cortical response is a firm NO and my moral response is kicking in very hard too (hence the visceral response).

Sociopaths and psychopaths do not have the same yin/yang going on. They do not get a visceral, basically anxious response when they get ideas for bad action (including thoughts). The mere thought of ruining my family's financial life makes me anxious; to some extent studying crime makes me anxious, as just imagining moral transgression is a bit anxiety producing. For a normal person.

Try and imagine someone who can fantasize increasingly awful things (think about what's happened in the Dark Web and how we now actually have to face societal problems like CSA and CP because enough people do not, apparently, have automatic (autonomic included) responses to bad behavior. We know from toddler and pre-school studies that even small children get anxious responses even if their mother tells them doing a naughty thing is okay (like spilling paint on the floor). Kindergarten teachers are remarkably good at leading researchers to the kids-without-consciences. And there are likely genes involved.

Does anyone really want to know all this though? Do we as a society want better ways to deal with this? What happens when a person is APD, NPD and something else? It's more and more common (or we're using our diagnostics differently - or perhaps more sensitively).

I have worked with military and LE for a long time (teaching in police academies; doing seminars; helping with personnel manuals and procedures) and I can tell you that the military and LE have strict codes of conduct for very good reasons. Some professions require a dash of antisocial behavior to be good at them (surgeons score higher on this scale - but not pathologically high in most cases, although there's always that Dr Death guy). Strict codes of conduct allow leaders to figure out who is just generally incapable of following even basic rules. Those are your sociopaths or future sociopaths.

Who is playing that "rein them in" role on college campuses? Professors have abdicated it. Parents used to do it (now they threaten to sue if we give their kids a bad grade, much less "discipline" them). Many professors I know are giving up almost entirely on issues around plagiarism and cheating. Gotta keep the students happy. Tough professors are avoided, easy ones get bonuses for large classes.

How do we fix this? Or even figure out what's going on in a real world situation? I am guessing the BAU of the FBI is giving suggestions. LE really want to find this perp, but we don't want any LE harmed - and LEO's are typically honorable and wish *not* to harm people - even lawbreakers, just bring 'em to justice.

Anyway, long post (again) but this crime has us all aghast and I am personally agitated by it and worried for LE as well as the poor families. No one is prepared for what appears to be an actual psychopath (some who leaves dead bodies in plain sight, four of them, waiting to alarm an entire community - a whole nation, perhaps the entire world). Wants to scare and thereby control all of us.
…or perhaps, (and this is ONLY my own personal opinion), the killer targeted the home as it was inhabited by females. With the inner struggle, rage, and screaming growing more incessant by the day - he is overwhelmed with the compulsion to kill (once again). With the all-consuming sense to kill and dominate them to gain a twisted and morbid sense of sexual satisfaction/gratification through direct annihilation (he’s beyond compelled). It’s an added bonus that he feels exhilarated in his victory (fourfold) over death. They are deceased and HE is still alive. Every day which passes makes him feel more alive and in control. A clear winner by all accounts. With an above average intel, this will prove difficult (but not impossible). It was committed by a human being, and the truth is being sought by human beings. It’s definitely solvable. JMOO

Not disputing what you're saying, but thinking about the minds of individuals. Why in the world would more than one person be involved in a murder unless it was for a financial reason, i.e. stealing? I just cannot fathom what would motivate a mass murder group effort. If several are aware, what mindsets have no conscience/
I’m with you on that. One capable killer. JMOO

The investigation has a new public information officer. Top priority is still the Elantra:

December 27, 2022 6:34 PM

MOSCOW, Idaho — It’s been six weeks since the murders of four University of Idaho students. Still, no murder weapon has been uncovered and no suspects have been identified.

“Investigators continue to work through over 17,000 tips and leads that we’ve had thus far,” said Anthony Dahlinger, the newly appointed PIO for this investigation. “Over 250 interviews had been conducted thus far and that number continues to grow every day.”

A top priority remains tracking down a white Hyundai Elantra that was near the crime scene that night. Police say they’ve identified over 22,000 different vehicles since their search began.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that several time I have stopped by I see members postulating this is a hunter or someone familiar with hunting. Hunters don't kill with knives. And knowing where the liver is on a white tail is not really meaningful in this kind of attack. Many lethal stabbing murders occur in our cities among people who don't know anything about hunting. It is fairly common sense to know that a large knife plunging stab wound to upper torso/chest is going to be gigantic trauma, immediately debilitating and if with a big knife, mortal.
This very well may be the case...the killer may not be a *hunter*. My take, they were VERY FAMILIAR with using a knife and probably killed/injured with this weapon previously...be it a human or an animal. You just don't attempt (and succeed) dispatching 4 humans in a short time frame without the knowledge and confidence to do so. Yes, the victims may have been asleep and/ or inebriated, but FOUR victims in TWO separate rooms doesn't ensure success and is fraught with unforeseen consequences. FBI needs to find this killer sooner rather than later. MOO

Last edited:
Branmuffin wrote this fine post:

What an excellent set of topics. When I was first trained, we were told never to use the terms "sociopath" or "psychopath" and yet, researchers all around the world kept using them. Sometime after 2000, there was a cautious attempt by psychologists to redefine these terms and discuss them. This discussion, in fact, is stalling a new edition of DSM from coming out (well, it's just part of the reason).

SPECT analysis/MRI analysis gave a glimpse into the brains of people who had been diagnosed with APD (Antisocial PD). In theory, the PD's are supposed to be mostly learned, mostly nurture. But by the 1980's, every could see there was *some* biological/genetic/epigenetic basis to it. It ran in families. Kids who were adopted by non-APD people whose parents were APD had a greater chance of being APD, etc.

And then the brain results started coming in (various parts of the brain now implicated - not completely understood yet). And so, according to DSM, this can't be strictly a character/personality disorder. It has its own genes and physiology, It appears that it can be caused by lesions in the brain as well (acquired).

SO, now people are looking at other personality disorders - especially the Cluster B disorders that are so close to APD and doing brain research on Histrionic PD, Narcissistic PD, etc. I don't think the brain scans are as dramatic as with Antisocial - but the research is new and, well, putting the right people into studies is a highly controversial topic.

ANYWAY, let's start with the milder term (sociopath, or Antisocial PD). Almost exactly the same things could be said about Narcissistic PD, so keep that in mind. If a person has a baseline personality of Antisocial but also shows features of other antisocial traits from other diagnostic categories, what do we call them? Increasingly, journals in psychology are using the term "sociopath." I heard a colleague say recently that the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath is that they are both capable of lopping your head off with a sword, but the sociopath knows better than to carry the head around with him.

Sociopaths (and more rarely psychopaths) DO find their way into management positions. When they do, it's an awful thing for the people who work under them. They are vaguely scary to most people with sensitivity to the emotions of those around them and they may indeed be capable of almost any sort of fraud, lie, embezzlement, theft - and ultimately, nepotism, other law breaking etc. How far will they go to cover up what they do? Very far and that's when we see an Alex Murdaugh kind of person. Narcissistic PD is similar. The good news is that while Narcissistic PD is increasing rather dramatically according to psychometrists and their journals, Antisocial PD is not increasing as rapidly (it's thought to have gone down dramatically since 1970, mostly due to improved birth control and availability of reproductive rights, but that remains to be seen).

In any hierarchy, there's a top dog. I've been pretty amazed at how straightforward and congenial Chief Fry has been in his leadership role. Looks like a great guy to me. As compared to those young people who are coming out on the body cams and lying or falsely apologizing to police. They aren't sorry they got caught - they are going to do it again the next week or the next day (Sept 1-2, LE records from Moscow PD). Yet, the leaders of these houses (not just the ones on fraternity row, but including some private houses where students live) seem to need this quality of lying, dissembling, pointing blame elsewhere, etc. Are these situations creating Future Leaders who are antisocial?

How far does such a person go with their behavior? What if they have a natural tendency not to check their conscience before acting? It turns out that the right pre-frontal cortex does a check on one's action as to its morality, while the left pre-frontal cortex handles the same information to gauge practicality and to be efficient and methodical. So, if I really were to bet money on something, and I only bet $1, my left pre-frontal cortex would say, Okay, that's not an outrageous violation of practicality. But if I decide to withdraw all my available savings to bet on something (it hurts just to type that - as in, I feel my stomach tighten), my left cortical response is a firm NO and my moral response is kicking in very hard too (hence the visceral response).

Sociopaths and psychopaths do not have the same yin/yang going on. They do not get a visceral, basically anxious response when they get ideas for bad action (including thoughts). The mere thought of ruining my family's financial life makes me anxious; to some extent studying crime makes me anxious, as just imagining moral transgression is a bit anxiety producing. For a normal person.

Try and imagine someone who can fantasize increasingly awful things (think about what's happened in the Dark Web and how we now actually have to face societal problems like CSA and CP because enough people do not, apparently, have automatic (autonomic included) responses to bad behavior. We know from toddler and pre-school studies that even small children get anxious responses even if their mother tells them doing a naughty thing is okay (like spilling paint on the floor). Kindergarten teachers are remarkably good at leading researchers to the kids-without-consciences. And there are likely genes involved.

Does anyone really want to know all this though? Do we as a society want better ways to deal with this? What happens when a person is APD, NPD and something else? It's more and more common (or we're using our diagnostics differently - or perhaps more sensitively).

I have worked with military and LE for a long time (teaching in police academies; doing seminars; helping with personnel manuals and procedures) and I can tell you that the military and LE have strict codes of conduct for very good reasons. Some professions require a dash of antisocial behavior to be good at them (surgeons score higher on this scale - but not pathologically high in most cases, although there's always that Dr Death guy). Strict codes of conduct allow leaders to figure out who is just generally incapable of following even basic rules. Those are your sociopaths or future sociopaths.

Who is playing that "rein them in" role on college campuses? Professors have abdicated it. Parents used to do it (now they threaten to sue if we give their kids a bad grade, much less "discipline" them). Many professors I know are giving up almost entirely on issues around plagiarism and cheating. Gotta keep the students happy. Tough professors are avoided, easy ones get bonuses for large classes.

How do we fix this? Or even figure out what's going on in a real world situation? I am guessing the BAU of the FBI is giving suggestions. LE really want to find this perp, but we don't want any LE harmed - and LEO's are typically honorable and wish *not* to harm people - even lawbreakers, just bring 'em to justice.

Anyway, long post (again) but this crime has us all aghast and I am personally agitated by it and worried for LE as well as the poor families. No one is prepared for what appears to be an actual psychopath (some who leaves dead bodies in plain sight, four of them, waiting to alarm an entire community - a whole nation, perhaps the entire world). Wants to scare and thereby control all of us.
Thank you for adding that confirmation. The brain, and subsequent study thereof, is definitely an unknown on a multitude of levels within the medical field of behavioral and neuroscience. JMOO

This very well may be the case...the killer may not be a *hunter*. My take, they were VERY FAMILIAR with using a knife and probably killed/injured with this weapon previously...be it a human or an animal. You just don't attempt (and succeed) dispatching 4 humans in a short time frame without the knowledge and confidence to do so. Yes. the victims may have been asleep and/ or inebriated, but FOUR victims in TWO separate rooms doesn't ensure success and is fraught with unforeseen consequences. FBI needs to find this killer sooner rather than later. MOO
The “risk factor” is part of the thrill. The hunt. The execution of a skilled psychosomatically planned out multiple murder. This is not the work of an amateur. Jmoo

Last edited:
My apologies if this has been posted. I’ve look and didn’t see a new press release posted yet.

• “At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the female associate professor and chair of the history department at the University of Idaho suing a TikTok user for defamation is involved in this crime. The Moscow Police Department will not provide a statement about the ongoing civil process.”

• “There have been numerous inquiries from members of the public and media to verify digital media published online. Any picture or video provided through the official public records request process is authentic. However, once a record is released, we can no longer verify its authenticity as we do not know if anything has been altered. Detectives are aware of videos distributed by local businesses.”

Are they referring to the video released by Fox News ? I have never seen them address a video evidence released by businesses through news media and this recent released moo, imo they believe may have been altered.

• “Investigators believe someone has information that adds context to what occurred on the night of the murders and continue requesting additional pictures, video, and social media content. Our focus remains on the investigation, not an individual’s activities displayed in the tip. Whether you believe it is significant or not, your information might be one of the puzzle pieces that help solve these murders. Digital submission of tips and leads will not be publicly disclosed due to our ongoing commitment to keep information private and details may be pertinent to the ongoing criminal investigation.”

MOO, this stood out to me the most. To me, it looks like they believe several people may have been aware or involved in the murder.

• Progress continues to locate the white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra believed to be in the immediate area of the King Road residence during the early morning hours of November 13th. Investigators believe the occupant(s) may have critical information to share regarding this case and have identified over 22,000 vehicles. If you know of, or own, a vehicle matching this description, or know of anyone who may have been driving this specific vehicle on the days preceding or the day of the murders, please forward that information to the Tip Line.

• No suspect(s) has been identified and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate and updated progress. All press releases and related information is available at: King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID.

• Updates will be provided when new information is available for release.
The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued sup
The Moscow police update today deflated me. It made me feel like they are at square 1. I had some hope tha5 5hey knew the suspect was and they were working on collecting data to ensure an arrest-I know silly me reading into things and conjecturing. Today just seemed like no new news and nobody to call POI.
I do wonder why the FBI profiler is not used as of yet. I know it is to ensure all reports be provid3d but it just seems they would give people something to Explore. Maybe they know there ar3 50000 people who are conjecturing and don’t want to endanger real leads‍♀️

Not disputing what you're saying, but thinking about the minds of individuals. Why in the world would more than one person be involved in a murder unless it was for a financial reason, i.e. stealing? I just cannot fathom what would motivate a mass murder group effort. If several are aware, what mindsets have no conscience/
It does happen, let's say when there's one ring leader and others participate or "set it up" or keep the secret. That would be more a conspiracy.

Others might be involved by accident (ie: friend calls and asks for a favor to pick him up, friend picks up not knowing his buddy just committed a murder so it then an accomplice by accident).

Someone might keep a secret out of loyalty or fear.

Investigators believe someone has information that adds context to what occurred on the night of the murders and continue requesting additional pictures, video, and social media content.

I wonder what context they are looking for in particular?

What would the video/photo social media content show?

Someone being at a venue when they said they weren't?

Someone hanging around a person not regularly in that immediate group of friends - an outsider visiting randomly that day?

Someone staying at a person's house that is within walking/bike riding distance to where the murders happened. MOO

Last edited:
The Moscow police update today deflated me. It made me feel like they are at square 1. I had some hope tha5 5hey knew the suspect was and they were working on collecting data to ensure an arrest-I know silly me reading into things and conjecturing. Today just seemed like no new news and nobody to call POI.
I do wonder why the FBI profiler is not used as of yet. I know it is to ensure all reports be provid3d but it just seems they would give people something to Explore. Maybe they know there ar3 50000 people who are conjecturing and don’t want to endanger real leads‍♀️
Yeah…that last part. For sure. Loose lips sink investigation ships. JMOO.

Investigators believe someone has information that adds context to what occurred on the night of the murders and continue requesting additional pictures, video, and social media content.

I wonder what context they are looking for in particular? MOO
Anything & everything which may be unknowingly associated or connected to the crime. That’s my guess.

I'm also quoting from @branmuffin's post on the previous thread, but I had to copy/ paste.

*************************************************************************************************

When we talk about psychopaths we always couch them in negative terms. And yet, it's been said by many professionals that some of the characteristics of a psychopath can be considered positive traits especially in certain professions. Things like ruthlessness, charisma, focus, coolness under pressure, etc. Those can be the character traits of people like CEOs of large corporations, politicians, and surgeons. Even someone like James Bond could be classified a psychopath the way he dispatches his enemies. There is a scene in Casino Royale where someone says, "Killing all those people? It doesn't bother you?" To which Bond replies, "I wouldn't be very good at my job, if I did."

************************************************************************************************

I so agree.

I've heard this many, many times. Of course it's not all across the board, as there are some CEOs etc. who are very philanthropic, and have apparently happy family ties.

Yet the traits you've listed (ruthlessness, etc.) are often characteristics of very successful people.

It takes a single-mindedness to achieve something that is unlike anything that has gone before. We can probably all list some famous billionaires who care for nobody and nothing except money and power, in pursuit of which the emotions of ordinary people are trampled.

I'll only mention one by name, as he is dead.
Many of us own products that are the brainchild of Steve Jobs. He envisioned something that no one else had even imagined, just like all inventors. Yet according to authorized biographies, former employees and his daughter Lisa, Jobs was a monster to work with and hateful to his daughter, whom he conceived with someone before he married his wife and started a new family.

If Jobs had not ALSO been born with some intuitive imagination, or if he had not redirected his ruthlessness and single-mindedness into the pursuit of IPads and IPhones, who knows what he may have done?

I do believe some sociopaths are brilliant, and when they haven't been able to subsume their sense of superiority and lack of empathy into something astounding, instead we may get tragedy.

Even the murder of four young people.

I'm not ruling in that this was done by a sociopath, but I'm not ruling it out, either. I've no clue.

Sure. But not sure why it’s relevant.

We’ve heard nothing official about his whereabouts that night. Other than LE and the parents vouching for him. The time on camera is plenty to get home and get to bed.

Much ado about nothing. But this is the internet after all.
...as you said, LE have stated they do not believe that he was involved in the murders, and we cannot sleuth him, regardless, per TOS, so for us here at least, it means nothing. JMO

What a world we live in where LE have to state they do not believe a person (with no links to the victims) was involved in a crime, because that person was accused by an obssessed random (with no knowledge of the crime or victims), on tik tok.

I am no expert to say the least, however I have been hunting with my husband and my son. I used a rifle they use rifles as well but also have compound bows. The kill is from a distance. We do not attack the deer and stab them. The goal is to pierce the heart and lungs which allow tremendous blood loss as the animal runs off. If the shot is placed properly the animal dies very quickly. We are in Pennsylvania. I have no idea if some brands of knives are preferred over others based on where you live, but I will say we use Buck and Gerber.

Not sure if this helps with any of the questions about the hunting perspective.

The investigation has a new public information officer. Top priority is still the Elantra:

December 27, 2022 6:34 PM

MOSCOW, Idaho — It’s been six weeks since the murders of four University of Idaho students. Still, no murder weapon has been uncovered and no suspects have been identified.

“Investigators continue to work through over 17,000 tips and leads that we’ve had thus far,” said Anthony Dahlinger, the newly appointed PIO for this investigation. “Over 250 interviews had been conducted thus far and that number continues to grow every day.”

A top priority remains tracking down a white Hyundai Elantra that was near the crime scene that night. Police say they’ve identified over 22,000 different vehicles since their search began.

I am baffled. The killer can’t be that lucky to avoid being recognized at all by security cameras. The FBI have top quality imaging equipment to clean up video. Thinking the license plates was removed. This killing was planned down to the last detail.

I’m with you on that. One capable killer. JMOO

But several people might be aware of a murder and not come forward.

Years ago, when I was young, there was a party out in the woods in my town. I didn’t go (thankfully) but I knew people who did. A girl was killed and the body burned either during or just after the party. No one has talked about it, ever. The case was solved via DNA analysis a couple of years ago.

Just a few years ago, when I was a home visiting nurse, a young woman disappeared in this area. Rumors swirled around, but no one came forward, in spite of numerous calls from parents and police. One of my clients quietly asked me if I could help her talk to the LE because “everyone knew” that the girl had been sold to a gang in another state by her boyfriend to pay for drug debts. I was able to get her in touch with a FBI agent through my work on a HT task force. The story checked out and an attempt was made to rescue the girl, but it had a sad outcome.

In both cases, there was social pressure to stay quiet and fear around personal safety. It really was only the personal relationship the informant had with me and my relationship with LE that moved things forward in the most recent case.

I wonder how many people know at least something about this case in Idaho, but are isolated in fear and silence. The longer silence persists, the harder it is to break sometimes. That’s one thing I think might be happening regarding multiple people.

Others might be involved by accident (ie: friend calls and asks for a favor to pick him up, friend picks up not knowing his buddy just committed a murder so it then an accomplice by accident).

Someone might keep a secret out of loyalty or fear.
IMO JMO and per the idaho leg, one does not become an accomplice by accidentally giving a murderer a ride:

(1) Willfully withhold or conceal it from a peace officer, judge, magistrate, grand jury or trial jury; or
(2) Harbor and protect a person who committed such felony or who has been charged with or convicted thereof.

Willfully withhold or protect, and that's deep kimchee.
And keeping that secret out of fear is a good way to die if a homicidal maniac knows you know that he's killed four people. just my opinion but just saying.

edited b/c I quoted incorrectly

The killer can’t be that lucky to avoid all cameras. The FBI would have top quality imaging equipment to clean up video.
IMO JMO luck is when planning met opportunity in this case. the killer likely scouted all of the cameras, stuck to the darker area of the neighborhood, and got rid of the Elantra quickly and completely. JMO with enough planning, he could be this lucky.

IMO it is near certain that the killer has training and practical familiarity with a knife made for offense."

Though the murderer may have practical experience with knives, he is unlikely to have gained that experience from the miltiary.

At the end of the day, a very significant number of military service members have never seen a fighting knife, let alone trained with one.

It maybe different for Army and Marine infantry units and various Special Forces units. But a forum member with family in paratrooper and Special Forces related that even these units are "Yes-but not really" regarding training with fighting knives.

The above does not eliminate the possibility that there are knife afficionados in these units. But.... they would probably need to be looked at as individuals, and not due to simply having been in a infantry or Special Forces unit.

I dont mean to imply that your observation might not have value. Rather, it might just need to be re phrased a little. Perhaps a former serviceman known individually to take the "Yes- but not really" training to a further degree. Or, perhaps statistically more likely there is "Kevin Sharpe":

- Kevin has never been in the military, but imagines that knife wielding Rambos are the norm in Special Forces units. Kevin is known to watch knife fighting self defense videos on You Tube, or maybe order them on line. Occasionally, he can be seen "messing around" with various techniques as he fancies himself a survivalist of sorts.

- Kevin is also known to carry a large, alpha male "totem knife" from time to time- though he has little apparent practical need to do so. Kevin likes to engage in conversations about the knife. He is also capable of rattling off info on knife design / steel superiorities and knows all the best brands by name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member