ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raising money to have the house torn down is one thing. Replacing that income for someone is another thing entirely. This is the last thing I'm going to say about it, but I find it a bit odd that anyone feels they have the right to state what "ought" to happen to someone else's property and/or finances, regardless of circumstances. JMO and nothing more :)
Houses where terrible things happen are remodeled and resold all the time. Depending on how much money the property owner has, they'll either sell it to a developer or just remodel it themselves. Memories are short.

If the city wants to purchase the home to tear it down, then I assume they would have to purchase it from the owner at fair market value - if the owner agreed to sell it. Also, the residents of the city would have to have input regarding their taxes and if that is how they want the city council to spend their tax dollars. I suspect the residents would be willing to add this to the city budget if it didn't involve a significant increase in taxes.

JMO.
Sadly, I actually think that there would be a lot of students who would have no trouble renting the place. You know, think it'd cool to live in the "murder house." I'm not even joking.

I just don't see the city doing this. First, you would turn a property that generates property tax into a park that generates no property tax. It would require city upkeep. The City would have to purchase at fair market value from the owner, who likely doesn't want to sell. The city can't force the owner to sell. And who is going to go to the park anyway?
In Indiana Herb Baumeister murdered more than a dozen men and buried them on his property. The property was sold to a private developer and people bought lots and built luxury homes on it.

I live literally around the corner from this property, and when it went up for sale I thought no one would want it. But it sold snd homes were built.

Some people have no problem living where a prior tragedy has occurred.

I understand what you're saying but it just doesn't add up for me. I haven't seen an explanation for her moving away from Moscow before the end of the semester. Have you? I wonder where the dog was going to stay while she traveled Europe in January?

The others murdered didn't have this "glitch" in their circumstances. I also wonder why she was not honored with a posthumous degree.

Again, JMO
If Kaylee had all (or most) of the required course credits to graduate in December, then it is most likely that she will be awarded a posthumous degree at the spring 2023 commencement. The chair of her department could have submitted a letter of recommendation to the dean of the college requesting that Kaylee be awarded a posthumous degree, and the dean may have submitted the request to the provost (vice president for academic affairs). That is the normal process at a university for the awarding of a posthumous degree. This can be done quickly, in one day or so. So it probably was done in late November or early December.

But the next step is that the university president has to forward the request to award a posthumous degree to the Board of Regents for approval, and then it is taken up at the next scheduled Board meeting. If the Board didn't meet before the December commencement once, then I think that may be why Kaylee's posthumous degree was not awarded at the fall commencement. The Board would have to approve this (even though it is pro forma), and will likely do so at its next scheduled Board meeting. And the posthumous degree will likely be awarded at the spring commencement.

Note that I did not look up the policy and process for awarding posthumous degrees at the University of Idaho, but this is the policy and process at several universities that I am familiar with.

I just don't see the city doing this. First, you would turn a property that generates property tax into a park that generates no property tax. It would require city upkeep. The City would have to purchase at fair market value from the owner, who likely doesn't want to sell. The city can't force the owner to sell. And who is going to go to the park anyway?
What is the market value of this property now? Few people would want to live or party there. The owner may be all too happy to get it off his/her hands. As a rental it would need to be so deeply discounted that taxes and maintenance might not even be recouped from the tenants, I'd suspect.

In Indiana Herb Baumeister murdered more than a dozen men and buried them on his property. The property was sold to a private developer and people bought lots and built luxury homes on it.

I live literally around the corner from this property, and when it went up for sale I thought no one would want it. But it sold snd homes were built.

Some people have no problem living where a prior tragedy has occurred.
It's just a life truth that tragedies occur pretty much everywhere. I'm not dissing you, just pointing out a universal truth. My dining room table sits where my late father in law died. JMO

I'm really not sure why people that never knew these 4 young adults are insistent they know what's best for that property. More JMO.

Last edited:
As far as the house being demolished & the land turned into a park, think of 112 Ocean Avenue, in Amityville, New York.

Supernatural hoax aside, a young man slaughtered his family there.

The house has sold and re-sold several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998