ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has the suggestion that the1st floor had a lockable door from the 2nd floor come from?

Apart from being an odd feature that does add an element of additional insight into the two survivors. If true they were potentially behind not just 1 but 2 locked door layers of security.

Therefore were they truly missed/ignored by the perpetrator or just too hard to get to in a hurry.
I don't know either. The zillow pictures make it seem like there was no door at all on that particular stairway.

I don't think we should disparage the coroner. She has been doing the job for 16 years and haas handled several murder cases. She is more of a bureaucrat. Actual autopsies are contracted out to the Spokane County Medical Examiner.
No disparaging. But she's a nurse, not a medical examiner. Probably haven't a big need for MD forensic pathologists in the area.

I have seen it posted countless times so I want to share one thing. As someone who has had a very bleedy head wound, I can confidently state that all it takes to avoid being detected while covered in blood is black clothes and not being near enough for others to see. The idea that someone could leave the house covered in blood, as long as he is wearing black or possibly other dark colors, and not being noticed is completely reasonable to me especially if it's still dark out.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

FBI lending support would be not surprising; it would be usual to help canvass, process evidence, help develop a profile for shockingly bizarre mayhem in a tiny town.
But it is not at all usual for the CIRG team to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19 2022
''On Nov. 13, 2022, officers with the Moscow, Idaho Police Department were called to a home on King Road for a welfare check. Once on the scene, officers found the victims, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen, and Ethan Chapin, were found dead inside the residence. All four were students at the University of Idaho. KREM 2 News reporters were on the scene within hours of police finding the four students and have spent the past few days in Moscow covering developments. This KREM 2+ special, 'University of Idaho Students Murdered: An in-depth look at the first few days of the investigation' features some of our reports in the week following the students' deaths.''

Creepy the call came from a roommate’s cell phone from within the house…

Was it confirmed by LE that they weren’t home when LE responded to the 911 call? Maybe they just left after making the call bc they couldn’t be there (which is totally understandable)?

I cannot wrap my head around that much blood, and it must have gotten on the perpetrator. I can't see how it's possible to not leave footprints, fingerprints, and DNA. And how would someone feel confident and unnoticed to leave with that much blood on their clothing/body. Perhaps the perpetrator did clean themselves up within the house, bagged up clothes and even more possibly the same/similar size as Ethan and perhaps wore Ethan's clothing out of house? It's just mind boggling. I'm certain once the evidence is processed, there is no way evidence was not left behind. I expect this to be an easy solve once they get into analyzing all of the evidence.

It took a very fearless killer to enter a home with six adults, one a large strong male, and a dog!

It took a very fearless killer to enter a home with six adults, one a large strong male, and a dog!
Alternatively it was someone invited in…and a situation escalated. The group seems to be pretty universally described as kind and welcoming. They might have not have recognized the danger in an acquaintance until it was too late.

So the two surviving roommates were out separately and returned around 1 AM according to the latest police update. The private driver is currently not thought to be involved. And the 911 call came from a roommate's phone inside the house.

I'm kind of surprised they're just now asking for any camera footage from the area. I wonder if they at first thought the roommate(s) may have been the suspects? And then determined they weren't so they needed to see people coming and going for the area of the home?

For all the people wondering why one (or two) of the women were repeatedly calling an ex rather than 911 -- I have been a young woman in a (bad) relationship, bad enough that I should've been calling 911 when my ex came into my house, or followed me in his car, or hit me, and calling 911 either never crossed my mind, or didn't seem like an option because I didn't want him to get in trouble. I thought I could handle it myself. I lived, so I guess I did handle it adequately enough.

I have also had the same ex steal my phone - multiple times - and call a new guy I was dating so that he could A) get the new guy's # and address from texts in my phone; and B) yell at and threaten new guy.

We don't know for sure who was making those calls.

(I am now safe, smarter, and single)
I agree and when I can’t find my phone,I use my husbands phone to call my phone to see if I can hear it and track its location. I am sure LE has this under control.

''City of Moscow Police Department

''**Update** Through further investigation, MPD learned Kaylee and Madison used a private party for a ride home from Grub Truck at approximately 1:40 a.m.
Moscow Homicide Update
November 18, 2022 4:40 PM
MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.
On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.
Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.
Two other roommates were at the residence that night.
On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.
Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.
At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.
As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.
At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.
Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols
Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.
Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.''

On the subject of being seen...

The moon rose at 7:06 pm last Saturday night and set about noon on Sunday. It was directly overhead about 3:36 AM on Sunday and was about 80% full. Based on that I would say it would have been fairly bright out, assuming no cloud cover. Can anyone local comment on the weather conditions that night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member