ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are they still being so hush hush about who the actual caller was? Is it for privacy concerns?
Yes is. Sure it is for privacy concerns. The same reason law enforcement hasn’t released the names of the surviving roommates, the private driver who drove Kaylee and Maddie home, and various other witnesses. Generally if it’s an active investigation and it’s not an identified POI they don’t release every person they contact in an investigation’s name.

Where has the suggestion that the1st floor had a lockable door from the 2nd floor come from?

Apart from being an odd feature that does add an element of additional insight into the two survivors. If true they were potentially behind not just 1 but 2 locked door layers of security.

Therefore were they truly missed/ignored by the perpetrator or just too hard to get to in a hurry.

It was from this article but it's not clear what door they locked. It may have simply been the front door. “Their story was, they heard partying, they heard noise, but they just, as usual, said, there's partying going on and they locked the door.”

I recently called 911 after witnessing a fatal crash, the operator asked multiple times if the victim was conscious. It was a fiery crash, the vehicle was unrecognizable, I told her all of this and she asked again if they were conscious. I had to tell her that there was no way that someone survived the crash. They probably just say unconscious until a first responder can pronounce death.

It's taken me forever to read all the threads while simultaneously wanting to respond to Whitelilac's earlier questions.

View attachment 381098
The large white roofs are the roofs of two big apartment buildings at the end of King Road, just past the house where the students lived at 1122 King Road. See a snip of your aerial map below and a photograph of those two apartment buildings below it.
View attachment 381099
What appeared to possibly be a strip mall in the aerial photo below is another very large apartment building on Taylor Avenue. See a snip of your map and a street view of the apartment building below it.
View attachment 381100

The central and upper areas of the map snip you posted, which includes King Road, Queen Road and Taylor Avenue, are nearly all homes and apartment buildings that are rented to university students. Even the homes that appear to be single family homes in this area are nearly all rentals. For example, even the 1400 square foot homes have been chopped up into 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms to pack as many students into one house as possible, the way landlords do in student housing areas.

The lower part of the map, which includes Walenta Drive and Ridge Road, are areas of lovely single-family homes that are clearly not university housing if you “walk” Google maps. You can even tell by the aerial view that these homes are on large lots. If you look at the street views, these homes are on mostly beautifully and densely landscaped lots.

The listing for this apartment says there are two bedrooms and one full bathroom on each level. Looking at the listing pictures, it doesn’t look like you could lock off a floor, although the few bedroom doors that are shown appear to have a typical bedroom door handle with a twisted tab lock. I guess the two surviving roommates must not have gotten up before noon, since neither was the 911 caller. Maybe they had a late night at home, had a bathroom on their floor, and so did not emerge to any communal area of the house before the call to 911 at almost noon. Having watched all the videos in thread #4, one of them stated that the two housemates who were unharmed locked their doors when they heard partying noises.

The listing repeatedly states “no pets allowed,” but I guess Kaylee had a dog there?

Anybody else think one purpose of the press conference tomorrow is so LE can take a look at who shows up? That was certainly one objective of LE in the Delphi press conferences.
I think 99% of purpose is because they have bungled everything so far.

BBM

Moscow Homicide Update
November 19, 2022 6:15 p.m.

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

Updated Information:
• At this time, detectives have investigated the private party driver who took Kaylee and Madison home on November 13th and do not believe he is involved in this crime.

• Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. The two did not wake up until later on November 13th.

Initially, the 911 call made at 11:58 a.m. on November 13th requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from inside the residence on one of the roommates’ cell phone. Moscow Police Department arrived shortly thereafter and found all four victims.

• Detectives confirm the victims were located on the second and third floors of the residence.

• Detectives are aware of multiple phone calls from victims Madison and Kaylee to a male. This information is part of the ongoing investigation.

• Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday November 13, 2022, from businesses and residences within the geographical area below. Detectives are requesting all available video – whether there appears to be motion and content or not. Tips, pictures, and videos can be submitted to tipline@ci.moscow.id.us or call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 for assistance. (See map)

o West Taylor Ave (north boundary)
o West Palouse River Dr (south boundary)
o Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary)
o Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary)

• There will be a News Conference to update the public on the investigation.
Sunday, November 20, 2022
3:00 p.m.
University of Idaho
Alumni Lounge of the ICCU Arena
900 Stadium Drive, Moscow, Idaho

MEDIA NOTE: Please direct all media inquiries to the PIO at moscowpdpio@ci.moscow.id.us or 208-883-7181.

###
Original Information:
On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home, however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.

Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.

As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.

At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.

Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.

###

#MoscowPDInvesitgation

There were interior cameras in the house? Was the system on during the night of the crime?
No, at least not that I know of. Those camera icons with numbers simply correspond to the same picture number in the zillow listing. For instance, the camera with the #12 on the first floor diagram would be the location where the 12th image in the slideshow on zillow was taken (in this case, the laundry/bathroom).

I'm kind of surprised they're just now asking for any camera footage from the area. I wonder if they at first thought the roommate(s) may have been the suspects? And then determined they weren't so they needed to see people coming and going for the area of the home?
Seriously agree, it’s been one week tonight since the incident, is this truly the first time they’ve put out a call for camera footage from the area? Isn’t a lot of that footage subject to getting deleted and re-recorded over within days at most?

This new update is matching more and more that MM or KG were the target and the surviving roommates heard nothing because of their proximity to where the murders occurred. I still strongly suspect that the killer entered through the sliding glass door and went hunting for his target and found EC/XN sleeping in the same bed and killed them. Then he went upstairs and found KG & BM and killed them. Having satisfied his mission and seeing no other witnesses, he left.

The two survivors survived by pure luck that he didn't go down to the first floor. The one thing that I still find intriguing is if the murders happened between 3-4 AM and one of the surviving roommates made the call, why did they report it as an "unconscious person"? The crime scene was described as a bloody mess so whoever they saw unconscious would've presumably had blood all over or near them.

I'm not as worried about the timeframe as to why they called at noon. If both went to bed very late, it's possible they slept in and didn't come out of their rooms until very late AM. They could've been doing homework, texting/talking to friends or just playing on their phones and having a lazy Sunday. If they were on the first floor and heard nothing, then there's no reason for them to come out of their rooms.

One must go back a very few days and realize "targeted killings" was one of the first suppositions LE made and released, their probable basis for their no-danger-to-the-general-public pronouncement.

While it's true they (sanely) walked the latter back somewhat, and while I can believe they have otherwise mispoken in the course of the investigation, understanding what happened may require going back to first principles, to "first thought, best thought" revelations.

This new update is matching more and more that MM or KG were the target and the surviving roommates heard nothing because of their proximity to where the murders occurred. I still strongly suspect that the killer entered through the sliding glass door and went hunting for his target and found EC/XN sleeping in the same bed and killed them. Then he went upstairs and found KG & BM and killed them. Having satisfied his mission and seeing no other witnesses, he left.

The two survivors survived by pure luck that he didn't go down to the first floor. The one thing that I still find intriguing is if the murders happened between 3-4 AM and one of the surviving roommates made the call, why did they report it as an "unconscious person"? The crime scene was described as a bloody mess so whoever they saw unconscious would've presumably had blood all over or near them.

I'm not as worried about the timeframe as to why they called at noon. If both went to bed very late, it's possible they slept in and didn't come out of their rooms until very late AM. They could've been doing homework, texting/talking to friends or just playing on their phones and having a lazy Sunday. If they were on the first floor and heard nothing, then there's no reason for them to come out of their rooms.
Maybe because the caller was trying to appear innocent and unknowing? Assume that person is guilty of this crime. They call and play 'dumb'. Hope this makes sense. I'm having a hard time articulating what I mean.

I hate to pile on but the coroner sounds like she's nervously introducing herself to her new classmates at the front of class when she has given interviews. I realize none of the LE, coroner, etc. have ever been involved in something so high profile but if they're struggling to get information out correctly they should hand it off to someone else. Everything they release should be a lot more clear and concise as to not cause confusion and panic.

MOO
I beg to differ.
Why would you think the coroner in a smallish city/town would be used to speaking to media? They aren't hired for their public communication abilities.
So easy to pile on.

On the subject of being seen...

The moon rose at 7:06 pm last Saturday night and set about noon on Sunday. It was directly overhead about 3:36 AM on Sunday and was about 80% full. Based on that I would say it would have been fairly bright out, assuming no cloud cover. Can anyone local comment on the weather conditions that night?
I JUST looked this up (No snow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member