ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

As Kaylee's parents said she was "a websleuth", we don't know if they meant she was an actual WSer or if it was used in a more generic sense.

If any member or guest reading here knows that Kaylee was in fact a Websleuths member, and her user ID, please send me a private message to advise. Tricia has asked me to find out as she would like to send flowers or make a donation to something in Kaylee's name.

Thank you.

Please read The Rules (linked in my signature), and continue discussion here.

Also, for anyone other than victims or an officially named POI/suspect, use initials or your post will be removed.

No sleuthing or insinuations/accusations against anyone who is not officially named a POI/suspect by LE.

ADMIN NOTE:

Re the accusations, insinuations, sleuthing of non POIs

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

Rules are rules. The above is not difficult to understand and we are NOT going to post this again and there will be no additional on thread reminders. If members can't respect this forum and Tricia's rules, from this point forward any member violating the above most basic principle of Websleuths will be placed on a 3 day Time Out. Any further violations will result in a 1 week Time Out and a permanent Thread Reply Ban.

Thread is open again.

Threads are specifically dedicated to discussing the case. Do NOT derail any thread with off topic posts that question moderation or removed posts, or other posts that are not directly related to the case under discussion.

Members who join to incite conflict don't last around Websleuths. Go fight somewhere else.

Do not tell other posters how to think or how to post. If you have an issue, Report the post or scroll and roll without bickering over every little detail.

Is there a way to see the admin update posts? I missed an entire thread from yesterday afternoon to today lol.

Also not sure if Moscow is this way, but a lot of smaller rural/hunting communities, most men (usually men) know what type of guns/knives/weapons people have. It's kind of a hobby thing. So the fact that no one has come forward to mention that they know someone (or someone's grandkid, etc.) that has that type of knife leads me to believe they're not a hunter. Unless obviously such tips have come in that LE are not releasing yet.

Last thought - if the perp was someone that was part of the campus or Moscow community (whether a student, person who worked in the area), it seems like they would have enough info to ID them. This was my first thought, that it was someone they knew or knew of them in the community. But bringing in the FBI and not appearing to have any leads me to think it's more of a random/transient/serial type. But it will be interesting to hear the next presser tomorrow.

<snip>
Also not sure if Moscow is this way, but a lot of smaller rural/hunting communities, most men (usually men) know what type of guns/knives/weapons people have. It's kind of a hobby thing. So the fact that no one has come forward to mention that they know someone (or someone's grandkid, etc.) that has that type of knife leads me to believe they're not a hunter. Unless obviously such tips have come in that LE are not releasing yet.
</snip>
I live in rural Idaho and I am not sure I would go as far as to say "oh, I totally know what guns my neighbors have" which would be all kinds of scary IMHO but I would certainly say with confidence that there are a LOT of fixed blade knives since it's a useful tool to have. For example, I carry a Gerber StrongArm.

I live in rural Idaho and I am not sure I would go as far as to say "oh, I totally know what guns my neighbors have" which would be all kinds of scary IMHO but I would certainly say with confidence that there are a LOT of fixed blade knives since it's a useful tool to have. For example, I carry a Gerber StrongArm.
Ok, that's good to know! Most of the men my dad has hunted with over the years, they know what each other has. I think someone mentioned in the thread that the specific type of knife that is suspected to have been used in the murders is more of a "collectors"/pass-down type item, less in use now. So I thought it might be more likely that someone in that sort of community would know about it.

Regarding the 911 call, It's very possible that one roommate was frantically calling a friend from her phone, perhaps someone across the street at Sigma Chi, while simultaneously the other roommate called 911 from her phone. Since the fraternity was right by the house someone could run over and get there before the police arrived.

Regarding the 911 call, It's very possible that one roommate was frantically calling a friend from her phone, perhaps someone across the street at Sigma Chi, while simultaneously the other roommate called 911 from her phone. Since the fraternity was right by the house someone could run over and get there before the police arrived.
That makes sense! Speaking from personal experience, I called the cops one time at a party when someone was threatening others physically, but was given some crap after because it was not the type of setting you would want cops at, for various reasons I won't name here lol. So given the nature of a "college party house" may have not been first instinct to call the cops when something looks like it has gone awry, especially on a weekend.

This might haver been posted before and i missed it. This is a picture of inside the Corner club for anyone who hasn't seen it. You can see 2 cameras above the TV.

Attachments

• cornerclub.jpg
    cornerclub.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 411
I live in a rural area not in Idaho. In my area we dont really share much info on our guns. We may have a conversation about guns, mention one or two we have in passing. I know my neighbors have guns because I hear them shooting. As far as what knives any of us have thats never come up with anyone I talked with. Lived at the same address for 10+ years. I am not saying Moscow Idaho is like where I live. JMO

This might haver been posted before and i missed it. This is a picture of inside the Corner club for anyone who hasn't seen it. You can see 2 cameras above the TV.
Interesting.

The clientele does not appear to be collegiate.

Maybe late at night it's a different story? Otherwise I wonder why this would be their bar of choice.

Jmo

Ok, that's good to know! I think someone mentioned in the thread that the specific type of knife that is suspected to have been used in the murders is more of a "collectors"/pass-down type item, less in use now. So I thought it might be more likely that someone in that sort of community would know about it.
In my view, a ridiculous amount of noise was made about the KABAR. People were going wild with speculation that the killer was some type of USMC vet while ignoring that you can buy the knife on Amazon for $90. There's really nothing special about it, it's just a well-made knife.

And by the way, I also don't believe that they can somehow tell the maker of a knife from the wound profile. Fixed blade? Sure. But determining the difference between a KABAR or a Cold Steel? Color me full of doubt about that one.

The KABAR issue was interesting only from the perspective that they might have KNOWN it was probably that maker. As in, they might have had some testimony from someone saying "well I saw this suspect person carrying around a KABAR knife around".

MOO

There had to be a triggering event. An unpleasant interaction, somebody getting a citation, somebody getting in trouble, someone who thought they were important getting blown off, something…something triggered this horrific crime

Is there a way to see the admin update posts? I missed an entire thread from yesterday afternoon to today lol.

Last thought - if the perp was someone that was part of the campus or Moscow community (whether a student, person who worked in the area), it seems like they would have enough info to ID them. This was my first thought, that it was someone they knew or knew of them in the community. But bringing in the FBI and not appearing to have any leads me to think it's more of a random/transient/serial type. But it will be interesting to hear the next presser tomorrow.

From past experience with FBI...they have better resources regarding DNA analysis, and better search dogs, too. Also, aren't they better equipped to go state to state? And profiling perps.

To me it means Moscow is serious about cuffing this perp.

In my view, a ridiculous amount of noise was made about the KABAR. People were going wild with speculation that the killer was some type of USMC vet while ignoring that you can buy the knife on Amazon for $90. There's really nothing special about it, it's just a well-made knife.

And by the way, I also don't believe that they can somehow tell the maker of a knife from the wound profile. Fixed blade? Sure. But determining the difference between a KABAR or a Cold Steel? Color me full of doubt about that one.

The KABAR issue was interesting only from the perspective that they might have KNOWN it was probably that maker. As in, they might have had some testimony from someone saying "well I saw this suspect person carrying around a KABAR knife around".

MOO
Does the K Bar have any special markings or maybe design of the hilt itself that might transfer to the victims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong