ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

Discussion in 'DeOrr Kunz, Jr.' started by bessie, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDTater

IDTater Active Member

The article mentions that Leadore is close to the Montana border. When I was asking about the possibility of the FBI becoming involved, this exact thought was in my brain. If there's evidence, or a probability that he was transported across state lines, it becomes a federal investigation, right? Of course, if he wasn't abducted, how would he get across state lines? Or maybe that line in the article was just a fun geography fact...

2. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Well-Known Member

They can be invited in at any point. If the case is not a federal one (where federal laws have been broken and it is known), they are asked to become involved by the agency overseeing the case. Without an invitation, they don't normally intervene unless there is a problem involving the said agency and are asked by the State's Attorney's Office to investigate. Certain cases immediately go to the FBI like bombings, for instance.

3. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

What are the primary investigative functions of the FBI?
    The FBI’s investigative authority is the broadest of all federal law enforcement agencies. The FBI has divided its investigations into a number of programs, such as domestic and international terrorism, foreign counterintelligence, cyber, public corruption, civil rights, organized crime/drugs, white-collar crime, violent crimes and major offenders, and applicant matters. The FBI’s investigative philosophy emphasizes close relations and information sharing with other federal, state, local, and international law enforcement and intelligence agencies. A significant number of FBI investigations are conducted in concert with other law enforcement agencies or as part of joint task forces.

SNIP

If a child is missing and possibly kidnapped, but no interstate transportation is known, will the FBI begin an investigation?
    Yes. The FBI will initiate a kidnapping investigation involving a missing child “of tender years,” even though there is no known interstate aspect. “Tender years” is generally defined as a child 12 years or younger. The FBI will monitor other kidnapping situations when there is no evidence of interstate travel, and it offers assistance from various entities including the FBI Laboratory.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs

Spies. Terrorists. Hackers. Pedophiles. Mobsters. Gang leaders and serial killers. We investigate them all, and many more besides.
    The very heart of FBI operations lies in our investigations—which serve, as our mission states, “to protect and defend the United States against terrorist and foreign intelligence threats and to enforce the criminal laws of the United States.” We currently have jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal law, and you can find the major ones below, grouped within our national security and criminal priorities. Also visit our Intelligence program site, which underpins and informs all our investigative programs.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/what_we_investigate

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings​

In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.
    All are false.
    Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.
    And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/20...ild-abductions/investigating-child-abductions

4. Dee10

Dee10 Well-Known Member

Although the article doesn't specific if the classification of this case has changed from a 'search and rescue', with the FBI coming in it seems it has indeed.

5. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Well-Known Member

The classification is Missing Person. The phase of the case is still in Search and Rescue mode as they are still conducting daily searches. The FBI coming in doesn't change that at all. In fact, it could open new areas to be searched depending on their interrogations/interviews.

6. TxJan1971

TxJan1971 Well-Known Member

Some things I think I think...

...Since the Sheriff has called in the FBI to assist, and since the Sheriff does not believe an abduction occurred, does he also not believe that an animal attack occurred?

Just wondering to myself...

7. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Well-Known Member

I am very skeptical the FBI gets involved in cases, where there is no criminal activity involved in the case. Can someone provide cases where a child was lost, and the FBI sent investigators?

8. Jules71

Jules71 Well-Known Member

"The sheriff also said on Friday that the FBI is sending a team of investigators to assist the Lemhi County Sheriff's office who will be checking the sheriff's office interviews and may re-interview some people to make sure deputies didn't miss anything."

ETA: Sorry I see I was late to the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

9. crh8

crh8 New Member

Good, I think a fresh set of eyes (fbi) will ultimately solve this. Less chance of emotional involvement and local corruption hindering efforts.

10. wondering25

wondering25 New Member

The sheriff's office does not have a 24-hour presence at the campsite, however, detectives go up every day to search. why detectives and not SAR?

11. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

How do you know this? I didn't think anyone was still going up.

eta: Got it. And yeah, I wonder what that's about?

12. Jules71

How can you be convinced it was not an abduction but not be able to rule it out?

13. Leomoon80

Leomoon80 Well-Known Member

The McStay case in 2010

14. Jules71

15. Leomoon80

Leomoon80 Well-Known Member

Perhaps looking "closer" to the inner circle ? But theoretically, that would be an abduction, but perhaps not a stranger.

16. bluesneakers

17. bluesneakers

I would lawyer up either way.

18. Jules71

No worries, it was just posted. :)

19. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

The Sheriff should have called in the FBI at the beginning of this case. There is no excuse for his failure to call upon a resource that is readily available. It was utterly ridiculous that his office instead focused on what was being said on social media.

JMO

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings

In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.

All are false.

Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.

And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/20...ild-abductions/investigating-child-abductions

20. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

The Sheriff seems more worried about being proved wrong than about finding the missing child. Apparently the grandfather was in good enough physical and mental condition to go to a rustic, primitive camp site but the sheriff has decided he is too frail to be interrogated. That's just as ridiculous as his failure to call in the FBI right away.

JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.