ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering about this but never articulated it. If it was immediately treated as a crime scene then the lack of evidence is alarming. If it was treated like a search scene then any and all evidence would/could have been trampled by ATVs, horses, vehicles and people.

I've begun to wonder if the drones found something and it's being kept quiet so the parents can grieve in peace. Yeah, I'm desperate here.
It depends totally on the agency doing the initial investigation as to how the immediate scene is scoured. A missing person case is usually not treated the same as a criminal investigation at the onset. The reporting parties are furiously giving information and the agencies are setting up the preliminary search area where usually the missing person is found. While we see so many mp cases ending badly here, the majority are resolved quickly and without media every catching wind of them.

It depends totally on the agency doing the initial investigation as to how the immediate scene is scoured. A missing person case is usually not treated the same as a criminal investigation at the onset. The reporting parties are furiously giving information and the agencies are setting up the preliminary search area where usually the missing person is found. While we so many mp cases ending badly here, the majority are resolved quickly and without media every catching wind of them.

So we can tentatively assume the scene wasn't treated as a crime scene at first. Which means all this evidence we've all been wondering about is probably trampled for good. :banghead: I understand the reasons, just...dang!!

any "possible" child abduction they will investigate and or respond and if their resources are requested in any type of missing child investigation they will provide it

I had a good link to the FBI's site regarding what they investigate but I can't find it. If memory serves, I think they only get involved in kidnappings and human trafficking. They will, however, at least lend some expertise in way of advisement.

So we can tentatively assume the scene wasn't treated as a crime scene at first. Which means all this evidence we've all been wondering about is probably trampled for good. :banghead: I understand the reasons, just...dang!!
If officers see things out of place or their gut tells them to investigate deeper...they note it and so it doesn't just go away. ;) But as far as taking prints, not allowing people in to trample, and other extra measures...they don't unless some sign of foul play is detected or suspected.

FYI ONLY -
Sheriff says he's convinced DeOrr Kunz was not abducted
By KBOI Web Staff Published: Jul 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM MDT

...Sheriff Lynn Bowerman updated KBOI 2News on the case of missing Idaho boy DeOrr Kunz, who was last seen July 10. Although he's convinced the 2-year-old was not abducted, Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility...

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/DeOrr-Kunz-Missing-Idaho-320303121.html

FYI ONLY -

...Sheriff Lynn Bowerman updated KBOI 2News on the case of missing Idaho boy DeOrr Kunz, who was last seen July 10. Although he's convinced the 2-year-old was not abducted, Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility...

The story also says that the FBI has been called in to assist! I'm hoping this means that the case is going to break wide open!!

FYI ONLY -

he said absolutely nothing..there is a reason he is being purposely obtuse <modsnip>

The story also says that the FBI has been called in to assist! I'm hoping this means that the case is going to break wide open!!

Is it common for the FBI to investigate a case where a child became lost? Or is this just more proof that this case is ~one of a kind~ along with LE using the word "POIs" to describe witnesses?

This is what I have been waiting on:

The sheriff also said on Friday that the FBI is sending a team of investigators to assist the Lemhi County Sheriff's office who will be checking the sheriff's office interviews and may re-interview some people to make sure deputies didn't miss anything.

I was just stopping in to post this.

"Although he's convinced the 2-year-old was not abducted, Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility." The article also mentions that they're still searching daily.

This is what I have been waiting on:

The sheriff also said on Friday that the FBI is sending a team of investigators to assist the Lemhi County Sheriff's office who will be checking the sheriff's office interviews and may re-interview some people to make sure deputies didn't miss anything.

I think I finally exhaled! Thank goodness this is being escalated and the FBI will be checking over EVERYTHING!

Is it common for the FBI to investigate a case where a child became lost? Or is this just more proof that this case is ~one of a kind~ along with LE using the word "POIs" to describe witnesses?
It is very common for them to be called in to assist on a missing child case especially after a couple of weeks. It isn't proof of anything as the FBI simply can offer resources smaller agencies cannot afford or expertise they do not have. It is very helpful if it does turn into another type of case such as criminal, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to go there at all.

I'm so happy that the FBI are going to get involved

Let the questioning begin

I'm not from the U.S., so can anyone tell me at what point the FBI is usually brought in? I thought I had read somewhere that they get involved if state lines have been crossed but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.
I would really appreciate a clearer understanding. Thank you.

I think I finally exhaled! Thank goodness this is being escalated and the FBI will be checking over EVERYTHING!
Yes. Getting more eyes on the case and the expertise they offer will be very helpful at this point. Going back over it all again with different results, hopefully!

It is very common for them to be called in to assist on a missing child case especially after a couple of weeks. It isn't proof of anything as the FBI simply can offer resources smaller agencies cannot afford or expertise they do not have. It is very helpful if it does turn into another type of case such as criminal, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to go there at all.

I just feel better since it is a small community and possible ties to people IMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak