ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/parents-of-deorr-kunz-we-pray-our-lil-man-will-be-found/

t’s been three weeks since DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared and his parents said Friday they believe he is still alive.

(I didn't see this posted though may have missed it)

From your link:
DeOrr’s parents confirm they have been in contact with the FBI and, according to Kunz, investigators have searched their house and vehicles.

Kunz and Mitchell said Friday they will continue to work with investigators until their son is found.

Glad to see they are cooperating with LE and doing what LE asks of them.

BBM
Hi Gitana
What I see on here is perhaps a lack of confidence in the Sheriff's Department. Only speaking for myself here...we (my family) had three members who were LE. One was tragically killed in the line of duty. It was devastating to our family. Even with that upbringing/exposure, I still do not blindly believe in everything LE does and says. I have seen corruption, politics, secrecy, etc. too much in the last few years in the national news. So for me, I'm very very relieved that the FBI is being brought in, if nothing more than to assist a smaller office and offer more resources. Its like getting a second medical opinion. All JMO and I have wanted nothing more than for baby DeOrr to be found and truth/justice to prevail, whatever that might be. All JMO

Agree and also believe that since there is a LE connection within the family another agency may ask or respond to questions and answers in a more objective way. That's not to say anything has been done incorrectly, but someone who doesn't know any of the POI's may interpret responses in a different manner or ask more in depth questions. jmho

There is a lot of ego involved with investigations.. local LE wants to run it.. then state cops sometimes get involved.. the FBI are also involved depending on crime.. If you dont think there is a lot of politics and marking of territory, you are not being realistic. Some LE will admit they do not have the resources right away and call in reinforcements.. others will try to cling to the case and show their skills.
If Idaho is as small in population density as it appears.. there may be people in that LE force who are related to some or all of the family, unnamed people or it could be someone in LE who they are watching.. or everyone is clueless..JMO Think about national security as an example.. the communication between departments was horrendous prior to 9-11. CIA didnt know what the FBI had vs... immigration etc etc.. A lot of this still exists..I frankly feel that 3 weeks is a very long time to be silent.. and handling the case locally when a 2 year old disappears without a trace unless they know and just want confirmation by the FBI before they arrest the person/persons. That is my opinion..

So, you think they're working together but not officially involved. Interesting. I would think once they're called in - I mean in this case they're sending a team of investigators - that counts as "involved." At least that's how I would explain it, whether or not the Sheriff is still the lead.

Thanks.

I never suggested the FBI isn't officially involved.

First, understand that the "field office" is the FBI field office. Not local LE. Second, and again:

The FBI was given jurisdiction under the “Lindbergh Law” in 1932 to immediately investigate any reported mysterious disappearance or kidnapping involving a child of “tender age”—usually 12 or younger. However, the FBI goes one step further, as any child missing under the age of 18 the FBI can become involved as an assisting agency to the local police department. There does not have to be a ransom demand, and the child does not have to cross state lines or be missing for 24 hours. Research indicates that the quicker the reporting of the mysterious disappearance or abduction, the more likely the successful outcome in returning the child unharmed.
https://www.fbi.gov/cleveland/press-releases/2013/fbi-to-support-national-childrens-day

Emphasis by me.

There does NOT have to be evidence of a federal crime for the FBI to take jurisdiction. In other words, they can take over a missing kid case whenever they want.

But I agree with you that they don't unless there is clear evidence of a federal crime or serious problems with local LE. Without that, they just assist.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make because I have also posted links to the FBI site. I was already aware that a Field Office of the FBI isn't the same as local law enforcement but thanks for reminding everyone.

JMO

“There are some cameras on the highway on both directions of 93,” Latham said. “I’m sure [they] have been looked … and I’m sure they’re looking more or less under every rock, so to speak, for leads on this case.”
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/0...on-deorr-kunz-this-will-come-to-a-resolution/
This gives me hope for good leads in this case. It should answer at least a few questions.
bbm

Thanks for bringing up this article.

This part about the cameras on 93 has me confused. In this map you can see Hwy 93, but it doesn't go between Idaho Falls/Montpelier area and Timber Creek campground. Why would they be looking at Hwy 93, as opposed to Hwy 28? :thinking:

(I've marked some of the traffic cams.)

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/parents-of-deorr-kunz-we-pray-our-lil-man-will-be-found/

t’s been three weeks since DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared and his parents said Friday they believe he is still alive.

"We continue to hope and pray that our ‘lil man’ will be found soon,” Jessica Mitchell and DeOrr Kunz Sr., DeOrr’s parents, said in a short written statement to EastIdahoNews.com.

Just noting it is Nate Eaton with East Idaho News again and that the parents provided a short written statement. I'm guessing they were told the news about the FBI was going to come out today so they made a written statement and worked with the reporter to get their info out. It seems they really are concerned with having their words and body language analyzed. Moo

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I know someone who is an assistant U.S. Attorney and he told me that it is Justice Department policy that there be no public comment on an ongoing criminal investigation. Leaks to the media are not tolerated. In this case, I think the only public comments will come from the Sheriff's office.

JMO

Well, we don't have to worry then as the information coming out of the Sheriff's office has been little to none. And for leaks, those have been zilch too. So it will be as it has been, no news!

I just hope the FBI is successful in cracking this case. Immediately though, two cases come to mind that even the FBI had no success in solving.

And since we already talked about it not being standard procedure to search their homes in a missing child case that happened out in the wilderness - what do you all think now knowing it has been searched?

Why do they call him 'lil man' ? Does this go in line with his father repeatedly saying he was three years old, while he's only 2 1/2 ? I mean, he's practically still a baby in my view. Can someone shed some light on if this is some sort of regional thing ? I'm really not trying to nitpick or be overly accusing of anything, but something about this just bothers me. TIA

I am very skeptical the FBI gets involved in cases, where there is no criminal activity involved in the case. Can someone provide cases where a child was lost, and the FBI sent investigators?
Cassie Compton missing from Stuttgart, AR 14 September 2014 here on WS for one

I understand that state lines don't have to be crossed for them to get involved. But if state lines are crossed, with absolute certainty, then it becomes a federal case, right? I guess I was just thinking out loud about the fact that a state line was mentioned, as if it has significance in this situation, when it doesn't necessarily, for the reason you stated. Just speculating because it seemed rather random.

"Montana is close to Idaho!!"

Was this camp ground federal property?
If so, i do wonder if the FBI doesnt trump the locals..

Could you please quote where it states in the link that the FBI "has to be invited" to get involved? Because I read the link and did not see that. The FBI has automatic jurisdiction to investigate per the Lindbergh Law. They choose whether to investigate, whether invited or not. It is federal law that they be notified immediately.

Also, where does it state anywhere that just now, the FBI was asked by local LE to assist? That may be the case but it also may be the case that they were asked right away but only now the FBI has determined they need to be involved.

Again, the FBI has automatic jurisdiction and per federal law must be notified of a missing child case immediately.

Finally, the vain and tragic hopes of a parent may not be pertinent to who or what agency gets involved in case.

I see a lot of bashing of LE on here. If we are going to do that, at least let such bashing be backed up by precise facts.

I believe the FBI CARD team is now involved. According to this FBI link that I've posted several times, they have to be REQUESTED. <modsnip>

JMO

When a child goes missing, it impacts the whole community. And while local law enforcement and investigators from our regional FBI offices respond and begin looking into the disappearance, the Bureau has an additional investigative asset.......

The 60 or so agents who make up the CARD team are stationed at field offices around the country. Each is assigned to one of five regional teams that cover the Northeast, Southeast, North Central, South Central, and Western United States and are deployed at the request of a field office. Deployment size depends on the case and the particular needs of local responders.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2014/may/investigating-child-abductions

"We continue to hope and pray that our &#8216;lil man&#8217; will be found soon,&#8221; Jessica Mitchell and DeOrr Kunz Sr., DeOrr&#8217;s parents, said in a short written statement to EastIdahoNews.com.

Just noting it is Nate Eaton with East Idaho News again and that the parents provided a short written statement. I'm guessing they were told the news about the FBI was going to come out today so they made a written statement and worked with the reporter to get their info out. It seems they really are concerned with having their words and body language analyzed. Moo

Have they lawyered up yet ?

In discussing the various highway cameras, it would be my hope that they would have all been looked at by now. Three weeks out is a bit late to start checking them. I have no idea if they are on a loop or how they operate.

There must not be anything on them that is helpful to LE or the FBI would not be coming in at this late date. JMO. On the other hand, hearing the FBI is coming in may make the guilty party nervous and do something that will give them away. JMO.

Why do they call him 'lil man' ? Does this go in line with his father repeatedly saying he was three years old, while he's only 2 1/2 ? I mean, he's practically still a baby in my view. Can someone shed some light on if this is some sort of regional thing ? I'm really not trying to nitpick or be overly accusing of anything, but something about this just bothers me. TIA

Maybe they call him 'lil man' because there are three DeOrr's in the family and the nickname just stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member