ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the parents interview. ---- I noticed this sentence a long time ago and wondered what it meant. I haven't heard anyone discuss it, but may have just missed it. What do you think he meant? It doesn't make sense to me - can anyone explain? Am I just being dense? Wouldn't be the first time!

Reporter: So he was just kind of playing and you guys were doing your thing, and then you notice, 'Oh, he's not here' . . .

DK: He, he was playing with . . .

JM: He was, yeah. He was with my grandfather.

DK: He was playing with grandpop. He was over . . . he was getting ready for a nap. (??) It was almost, by that time it was almost two and he usually takes his nap. Um, we, we was just, yeah, we decided we were going to go a little exploring and he was going to be good with grandpa by the campfire. We weren't more than probably 50 . . .

JM: Ten minutes.

DK: Fifty yards away and ten minutes, uh, well, (??) the time we'd, I'd seen him to the point I'd figured out he was gone. And I come back up from the creek and I've actually seen . . . there were some things down by . . . a little minnow that I thought he would just love. So when I come back up to get him and I yelled over to grandpa, uh, "Where is," you know, "Where is little DeOrr?" he, immediately, shocked, he says, "I thought he came up to you."

I just re-listened to the video again. The part you are questioning is at about 9:10 into the video. The transcription that you quoted above is a bit off. The sentence is "It was fifty yards away, and ten minutes till the time we'd, I'd seen him, to the point I figured out he was gone." So he was saying that there was only 10 minutes from the time they had seen him to the point they realized he was missing. [video=youtube;mwM1oG3z358]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM1oG3z358"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM1oG3z358[/video]

From the response by East Idaho News: "I just met with the sheriff today and he confirmed they did arrive late Thursday night. There were conflicting reports early on about their arrival date but the sheriff confirmed it was Thursday."

BBM ~ This sounds to me like it was just confirmed to him today when he met with the Sheriff that they arrived Thursday night. Whether it really was just confirmed to him today, or if he is trying to cya, I don't know. However he has been pretty upfront about making mistakes in the past so for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was confirmed to him just today. IMO.

And I take it that after almost five weeks and numerous discussions about the time of arrival they decided to make the call and check and were immediately informed of the correct time of arrival by the sheriff.

MOO

From the parents interview. ---- I noticed this sentence a long time ago and wondered what it meant. I haven't heard anyone discuss it, but may have just missed it. What do you think he meant? It doesn't make sense to me - can anyone explain? Am I just being dense? Wouldn't be the first time!

Reporter: So he was just kind of playing and you guys were doing your thing, and then you notice, 'Oh, he's not here' . . .

DK: He was playing with grandpop. He was over . . . he was getting ready for a nap. (??) It was almost, by that time it was almost two and he usually takes his nap. Um, we, we was just, yeah, we decided we were going to go a little exploring and he was going to be good with grandpa by the campfire. We weren't more than probably 50 . . .

DK: Fifty yards away and ten minutes, uh, well, (??) the time we'd, I'd seen him to the point I'd figured out he was gone. And I come back up from the creek and I've actually seen . . . there were some things down by . . . a little minnow that I thought he would just love. So when I come back up to get him and I yelled over to grandpa, uh, "Where is," you know, "Where is little DeOrr?" he, immediately, shocked, he says, "I thought he came up to you."
I guess what I don't understand is where he mentions it in the sequence of events he is relating. It's like the toddler was at the creek with them and then he sent the toddler back the short distance to the campground and that's when they thought he was with the GGP at the campsite but when he came up to get him the GGP said he thought Deorr was with them.

I know that's not what has been stated to be, so that's why I thought it was a strange way to word it and also a strange place to say that in the telling of the sequence of events. I guess maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I interpreted that to mean the point where Deorr would no longer be in view.

From the response by East Idaho News: "I just met with the sheriff today and he confirmed they did arrive late Thursday night. There were conflicting reports early on about their arrival date but the sheriff confirmed it was Thursday."

BBM ~ This sounds to me like it was just confirmed to him today when he met with the Sheriff that they arrived Thursday night. Whether it really was just confirmed to him today, or if he is trying to cya, I don't know. However he has been pretty upfront about making mistakes in the past so for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was confirmed to him just today. IMO.
<rbbm>

You'll give the reporter the benefit of the doubt, but not the parents?

I just re-listened to the video again. The part you are questioning is at about 9:10 into the video. The transcription that you quoted above is a bit off. The sentence is "It was fifty yards away, and ten minutes till the time we'd, I'd seen him, to the point I figured out he was gone." So he was saying that there was only 10 minutes from the time they had seen him to the point they realized he was missing. [video=youtube;mwM1oG3z358]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM1oG3z358"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM1oG3z358[/video]

Ahhhhh!!!! That makes much more sense! Thank you. The transcript I had was incorrect then. Thank you again. That makes me feel much better.

I can't keep up with this thread (or any for that matter) but that doesn't mean I don't try.

I am honestly shocked that they arrived at the campground on Thursday as opposed to Friday merely b/c this misinformation could have been corrected with any interview with the parents. How did Friday even get put out there if not for them?

Do we have any confirmation of Deorr being seen by anyone on Friday? Did they go to Leadore on Friday just for candy? Who doesn't take candy with them camping? I would hate to run out of candy, it's my favorite part of camping. ;)

As far as we know, all we have to put DeOrr in Leadore is the rumor that the parents, themselves, brought up that a clerk says she saw a boy matching the description of DeOrr at 6 PM at the store with a guy buying candy in a black truck.

That doesn't mean there weren't other sightings that haven't been reported. I watched that interview before I knew much at all about the case, and I did kind of instinctively feel that DK brought up that rumor so that he had the opportunity to say that there was AT LEAST a sighting, albeit the timing was confused. I had no idea why he might feel the need to do that, and to be honest, I still don't.

I

Well that's kind of strange. I just went over to http://www.eastidahonews.com/?paged1=2 to read a couple of the previous stories over again. I have been there a couple of times today and everything was right there.

Now it's all gone. Hummm...

OH NO. I was afraid that might happen. Lots of these papers just 'update' their stories beginning by erasing the older versions. I wonder if we had any quotes or copies already in the older threads.

ETA: OK< looks like they are still there. I am going to copy just in case they get poofed in the update.

I can't keep up with this thread (or any for that matter) but that doesn't mean I don't try.

I am honestly shocked that they arrived at the campground on Thursday as opposed to Friday merely b/c this misinformation could have been corrected with any interview with the parents. How did Friday even get put out there if not for them?

Do we have any confirmation of Deorr being seen by anyone on Friday? Did they go to Leadore on Friday just for candy? Who doesn't take candy with them camping? I would hate to run out of candy, it's my favorite part of camping. ;)

On all my camping trips, candy is definitely involved! So are chips, pop, cookies and other assorted junk food. lol

Tomorrow I predict we are getting a propaganda piece or somebod(ies) is going to feel like they got stabbed in the back.

Hope it's not the former. Good reporting needs to focus on the FACTS and getting the truth out, and not on sparing peoples' feelings.

It's already been verified that they arrived on Thursday as per this:

East Idaho News.com Hi Cynthia. Thanks for your message. I just met with the sheriff today and he confirmed they did arrive late Thursday night. There were conflicting reports early on about their arrival date but the sheriff confirmed it was Thursday. We will have more details on the investigation tomorrow. Thanks. -Nate
https://www.facebook.com/EastIdahoNews/posts/521527051330373

Well what a relief. Hopefully we'll hear some more facts we don't know. :)

There is a rumor that the reason for the trip to the store was for feminine protection products.

FWIW, Candy isn't something we typically bring on a camping trip. Space in the coolers is limited and chocolate melts and sugar candy just gets sticky. Though we do sometimes bring supplies for making s'mores.

I think to be fair, we are all so tired and want information. JMHO

As far as we know, all we have to put DeOrr in Leadore is the rumor that the parents, themselves, brought up that a clerk says she saw a boy matching the description of DeOrr at 6 PM at the store with a guy buying candy in a black truck.

That doesn't mean there weren't other sightings that haven't been reported. I watched that interview before I knew much at all about the case, and I did kind of instinctively feel that DK brought up that rumor so that he had the opportunity to say that there was AT LEAST a sighting, albeit the timing was confused. I had no idea why he might feel the need to do that, and to be honest, I still don't.

I
Because they have the need to establish that DeOrr was last seen alive by anyone at all on Friday, and I don't think it was them.

I don't understand why JM said 'matching our description of our son'. Was there any agreement on how little DeOrr should be described? Why not match our son?

I think to be fair, we are all so tired and want information. JMHO

Yes, babyback. I think we are all now clutching at straws. I've gotten to the point where I'm reading things into interview statements that don't exist. Don't know if anything new will be learned tomorrow in the newspaper, but it's a small glimmer of a chance.

So I wonder if the sighting was Thursday evening rather than Friday?

makes more sense for a Thursday evening sighting since the family went up to the camp Thursday.

maybe they went in Friday also but in the morning...

On all my camping trips, candy is definitely involved! So are chips, pop, cookies and other assorted junk food. lol

Marshmallows, graham crackers, Hershey bars. Can't go camping without all three!

DK: He was playing with grandpop. He was over . . . he was getting ready for a . (??) It was almost, by that time it was almost two and he usually takes his nap. Um, we, we was just, yeah, we decided we were going to go a little exploring and he was going to be good with grandpa by the campfire. We weren't more than probably 50 . . .

Ok I've been reading up on this and it's my first time posting here, and I was wondering if you could help clear something up for me (so many details, so late, so tired!). If, they left the little one with grandpa for a nap, why would grandpa think he was with them? I've been looking but I think I'm missing some info. Thanks in advance!

DK: He was playing with grandpop. He was over . . . he was getting ready for a . (??) It was almost, by that time it was almost two and he usually takes his nap. Um, we, we was just, yeah, we decided we were going to go a little exploring and he was going to be good with grandpa by the campfire. We weren't more than probably 50 . . .

Ok I've been reading up on this and it's my first time posting here, and I was wondering if you could help clear something up for me (so many details, so late, so tired!). If, they left the little one with grandpa for a nap, why would grandpa think he was with them? I've been looking but I think I'm missing some info. Thanks in advance!

The three ideas I came up with:

They told him to go hang out with GGP (stay by GGP, be good by the fire) without actually saying anything to GGP about it. Maybe they waved or something non-committal, but nothing as clear as "We're going for a walk please watch him until we get back."

OR. They did say that, walked away, Deorr told GGP "I'm going to go with them" and GGP shrugged or something and said sure, go ahead.

OR. There's also a possibility they saw him hanging out with GGP, figured he was having fun and it would be fine if they snuck away for a quick walk.

Welcome to the thread! There has been no explanation of the confusion regarding who Deorr was actually supposed to be staying with. It may have been a simple miscommunication. Great Grandpa has not been interviewed and DK Sr. didn't offer an explanation during his interview. jmho

It looks weird because of the interruption - he's saying "We weren't more than 50 yards/ten minutes (from the time) I'd seen him, to the point I'd figured out he was gone." He's trying to say that they had only gone a short distance away/were only gone a few minutes.

Sorry if someone else has already explained - I'm catching up on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member