ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow - Tylee Ryan - Tammy Daybell - Charles Vallow - *Arrests* #68

Status
Not open for further replies.

One note about these "jury instructions" -- in their response to the court, in these documents (submitted Mon Mar 20), it appears that the prosecution and defense have interpreted Judge Boyce's request for their preferences on "jury instructions" to mean completely different things (unless there were actually 4 docs filed, and we haven't seen the other 2; or unless Boyce asked the prosecution for one kind, and the defense for another, as a starting point for determining each). But with these:

*The prosecution provided proposed wording to use as guidelines for the actual jurors, in the deliberation process.
*The defense provided proposed wording to use as guidelines for the prospective jurors, in the voir dire process.

In addition, parts of BOTH docs are now irrelevant and moot, in the wake of the removal of DP possibility.

I have no idea what Boyce was expecting to get, but once a close look is taken at what was done, I would guess they will both have to re-do. Or maybe that's already happening.

Last edited:
Vallow has returned from Idaho's Madison County Jail, where she shared a larger living space "pod" with three other women, according to a NewsNation exclusive.

She had access to her own cell phone, although it was monitored 24/7.

In jail, she enjoyed menu options including burritos, hamburgers, lasagna, and pizza.

She also got one hour of worship per week.

If Melani P is called to testify, I get the feeling she won't be able to remember details (except possible generalities that might only be helpful for her Auntie). I hope there is material evidence to prevent this.

Lori's defense's motions to exclude late discovery have been overwhelmingly denied, except for the testimony of a certain internet psychic who keeps claiming that she solved the children's case, which wouldn't be used by the prosecution at the trial anyway.

03/22/2023 Order on Cross-Motions in Limine

That's the first good news I've heard in a while.

The witness interaction with LVD is another reason it would interesting to watch and might have influenced the removal of cameras. MBP has been absent from talk shows. Might not want more negative tv time.
Coming to Lori's defense, MBP gave lengthy interviews to three different news outlets just before the children's bodies were found.

Lori's defense's motions to exclude late discovery have been overwhelmingly denied, except for the testimony of a certain internet psychic who keeps claiming that she solved the children's case, which wouldn't be used by the prosecution at the trial anyway.

03/22/2023 Order on Cross-Motions in Limine

This is a good result on many levels.

To be clear, Boyce did not accept ANY truly late evidence in his ruling.

Instead, he said that what was submitted after the deadline was (in the vast majority) evidence that had already been provided to the defense, or that was supplemental (for example, handwritten notes of interviews where the defense already had the interview). So there's no reason to throw out what the defense already had, or the added pieces that are likely more of a 2nd version of the same thing. He went item by item, and it's informative that he did find one item that was clearly new, and that got tossed entirely.

The fact that the prosecution HAD complied with what they were supposed to do, almost entirely, is a very good thing to see.

It's also good that - as far as we can see right now - the prosecution will get to use whatever evidence they have had.

Boyce did reserve ruling on if there were things unnoticed so far that might truly be new, and late, and used, IF something like that is put into play by the prosecution as the trial plays out. He didn't want to go digging, but he left the door open for the defense to do so, or be alert to such things if they come across them. For those items, which were new and only truly disclosed after the deadline, he left the door open for the defense to object at a later time (and perhaps get such items tossed). Now it's incumbent on the prosecution to steer clear of using and depending on such evidence to prove their case, because (based on what we are seeing already) it's not likely to be deemed admissible.

All in all, a good outcome for justice.

Vallow has returned from Idaho's Madison County Jail, where she shared a larger living space "pod" with three other women, according to a NewsNation exclusive.

She had access to her own cell phone, although it was monitored 24/7.

In jail, she enjoyed menu options including burritos, hamburgers, lasagna, and pizza.

She also got one hour of worship per week.

Sounds like a resort.

Instead, he said that what was submitted after the deadline was (in the vast majority) evidence that had already been provided to the defense, or that was supplemental (for example, handwritten notes of interviews where the defense already had the interview). So there's no reason to throw out what the defense already had, or the added pieces that are likely more of a 2nd version of the same thing. He went item by item, and it's informative that he did find one item that was clearly new, and that got tossed entirely.

The fact that the prosecution HAD complied with what they were supposed to do, almost entirely, is a very good thing to see.

It's also good that - as far as we can see right now - the prosecution will get to use whatever evidence they have had.

Boyce did reserve ruling on if there were things unnoticed so far that might truly be new, and late, and used, IF something like that is put into play by the prosecution as the trial plays out. He didn't want to go digging, but he left the door open for the defense to do so, or be alert to such things if they come across them. For those items, which were new and only truly disclosed after the deadline, he left the door open for the defense to object at a later time (and perhaps get such items tossed). Now it's incumbent on the prosecution to steer clear of using and depending on such evidence to prove their case, because (based on what we are seeing already) it's not likely to be deemed admissible.

The judge also denied the motion to exclude the late DNA evidence, stating that the lateness was caused by disputes about consumptive testing. Additionally, the defense knew in advance that the evidence could be important, yet they insisted on a speedy trial.

As much as I despise her and what she did, I don't like to focus on how she looks. I'm sure we all had the same thoughts about her makeup & hair, but really, it's off topic and kind of juvenile to criticize looks. I do wonder though, where she gets her makeup. Must be her lawyers, there is no make up on the commissary menu.
I knew someone who did a short stint in county for traffic violations and she told me the women would use pencils to fill in eyebrows and foil gum wrappers to make fake jewelry.
I don’t really care where she gets her makeup or hair dye or hair curling tools. When you see a defendant who is accused of triple murder, 2 of them her children, who comes across as excessively vain and superficial, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There is no criticism of her looks from me. I think she is pretty. So I don’t see comments on her vanity as ‘juvenile’ or OT.

It is a violation of TOS to instruct other members
on what to post.

IMO

Does that mean the jail calls are in? I thought that was all newly discovered by the State.

Not that they're likely to have said anything incriminating, knowing they were being recorded.

The judge also denied the motion to exclude the late DNA evidence, stating that the lateness was caused by disputes about consumptive testing. Additionally, the defense knew in advance that the evidence could be important, yet they insisted on a speedy trial.

This is true -- but, to keep this in perspective, it appears allowing this particular evidence actually might be more exculpatory (at least to some degree), rather than beneficial to the prosecution. Wasn't that the tenor of the courtroom debate when they wrangled over it in a recent hearing?

As I understand it, they are still pursuing better results, which perhaps could even be more exculpatory (by providing an alternate murder suspect to put before the jury). I would assume per the judge's ruling they can use whatever they have, and perhaps more once the added tests are complete. And in that light, it sure feels like Boyce's point in this ruling about a speedy trial was a veiled way of saying to Lori, "I wish you were smart enough to see the value of some timetable flexibility, but I can't save you from your own stupidity."

ETA - As to the question of the jailhouse calls. there was no direct reference to those in the ruling by name. My guess is that they fall somewhere in the category of "previously known, so not late" or "I'm not digging to see if there's something new here, but if you find it and want to ask for it to be excluded, we'll deal with it piece by piece later" although it may be possible they just got skipped. We'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member