Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #44

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Patch Tuesday, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael0808

Michael0808 Well-Known Member

Agreed. So nicely stated.

altojack likes this.

2. gumchew

gumchew Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Agree. To me a kid, including an autistic kid ending up jammed between the ceiling and the top of the cabinets is because of terror.

4. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO open the top cupboard and use the shelves as ladder some kitchens have about 18 inches between the cupboard and ceiling as a kind of open top shelf.

altojack, newsjunkie and Knox like this.
  5. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Wonder if was Zulema one of the 144 thousand?

6. QuietStrength

QuietStrength Well-Known Member

Agreed, but easier to acquire in some walks of life than others?

When I was in a band in my younger years the illicit substances were plentiful subsidy. You didn't even need to ask; they just appeared, as if by magic.

When I worked at a higher end retail business a few years later, I don't think ANY customers tried to subsidize that pitiful income with substances, and they were a MUCH more difficult audience.

So yeah, things can "be gotten" about everywhere, it's just that some occupations tend to run a person closer to a diversity of opportunities, which might be relevant here?

Could we agree it's less of a leap to ask someone to acquire something they'll run into incidentally versus asking someone to go make a buy when it's not a transaction they're used to making?

One which can also be dangerous, depending on the seller and their degree of paranoia about this newbie trying to Venmo "some of that really dangerous opioid, what's its name? The f-stuff that kills a lot of people? Is there tax on that or is it just the $100?" (Awkward transaction as imagined by me, not quoting anything that actually happened).

All that stated, it seems like an exponentially stupid way to kill someone, but then again, nothing about this case was especially clever.

Buying drugs introduces at least one more witness into the pipeline, and at that, someone who might have less of a problem snitching out a murder-oriented buyer should they encounter their own legal issues.

Also Fentanyl seems extremely risky as an intentional poison?
    Street drugs and street-acquired pharmaceuticals often come with other ingredients that also leave a questionable trail. I read a DEA report several years ago that listed what was being recovered/found in various cities off the streets. Plenty of counterfeit pharmaceuticals and plenty of altered illicit substances. Seems pretty risky to acquire and use those when you don't know for sure what you're getting?

7. The First Article

The First Article Well-Known Member

I've just assumed that they were getting married to approved spouses picked out by someone in the cult for this reason.

gumchew, wenwe4, April_Dawn99 and 4 others like this.
  8. BeachSky

BeachSky Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    janewall, altojack, CarolAnn and 9 others like this.
  9. QuietStrength

That cracked me up!

Maybe as someone who aimed high and wanted to be the Lead Lay Leader, he started multi-tasking with the five female to one male ratio at sleepovers in 2018? Could cover a lot of holy ground that way...

Shadow@light, wenwe4, Deerrun and 5 others like this.
  10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Did anyone else hear MG say gathering "couples" in that newest Dateline special? I'm going to go back and listen again, but I'm almost positive she said the word couples.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  11. QuietStrength

I will try! :)

He's a genuinely nice guy - secretly, I wondered why someone so pleasant would want to be a pathologist instead of working with patients directly, but maybe that's why he's so pleasant - he's not "over socialized" by the end of the day?

He has a big heart and a deep social conscience (yeah, I'm weird, I don't engage in "small talk," even with the neighbors and fellow dog-mamas and dog-daddies. They may duck & hide from me some days when they're not up for solving humanity's problems... :) ).

He would be an asset here!

12. KonaHonu

KonaHonu Well-Known Member

There are some anomalies with names between those two. I've seen the marriage certificate. It definitely says Alex said he was taking the name Alex Pastenes after the marriage. And Zulema gives her legal name as Zulema Pastenes. Usually no other paperwork is required to change name as a result of marriage. So his legal name would have been Alex Pastenes when he died. But in the probate filing ZP listed his name as Alex Cox and hers as Zulema Pastenes-Porter. So they could not even seem to keep track of their legal names. Probably no real significance, just strange.

13. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Probate filing, are there details listed? Did he have any assets?

windrower likes this.
  14. gumchew

gumchew Well-Known Member

Thank you. I get it, I really do. They could have said little or nothing and not exposed themselves to this scrutiny. Unfortunately, the yawning maw of silence begs to be filled, and insecurity abhors a vacuum. I hope those folks find some peace.

15. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

BeachSky likes this.
  16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

17. BuySellTrade

BuySellTrade Well-Known Member

I said the same thing pages back, that LVD reminded me of Manson in her day in court. Pretty much the same reason as you state.

GoneGoldfishin' likes this.
  18. 155etta

155etta Well-Known Member

19. QuietStrength

Article was a great read!

I liked this statement:

"My clients, no matter what they may have done, aren't wicked. They are damaged, deprived or in distress. Their crimes can be understood as the products of awful lives, or of being young, hot-headed and lacking in judgment, or of not having the mental wherewithal to know what they were doing. There is always a story."

Because it seems like that is a lot of what WS tries to do - assemble the story, not necessarily in defense of the accused, but in defense of the defenseless victims.

WSers as a group work together so well to assemble the "gestalt" (to get fancy about it). WSers WILL fill in ALL the blanks!

20. KonaHonu

KonaHonu Well-Known Member

In college I worked for a time as a technician at a small manufacturing company that made dock-side equipment for the US Navy. A couple of years before I started they had hired a biker gang as technicians. Most did not work out as you might imagine. But the dozen or so that were left were great technicians. Most had done prison time. And any drug you can imagine was in plentiful supply. The worst I ever did was smoke a little pot with my roommates. None of the coworkers ever "pushed" anything but it was an open secret that they could get anything anyone wanted. I ended up getting a few of my friends jobs at the same company. It was a very interesting combination - bikers and geeky engineering students. But everyone got along great and I left with great respect for most of the bikers' tech skills. They were always respectful to us as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.