Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch Tuesday

Reaction score
Police searching for Rexburg children believed to be in serious danger | East Idaho News

I believe this is going to be a more complicated case than it looks on the surface. The children's mother (Lori Wallows) recently married a man (Chad Daybell) a few weeks after his wife died. It was presumed the late wife had died of natural causes but was exhumed recently and her death is now being investigated.
The new wife's husband was shot in a family argument earlier this year:

Chandler Police identify man who was shot dead during family fight

The husband and wife are not cooperating with police and have since vanished.

Attachments

• joshua-tylee.jpg
    joshua-tylee.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 153
Police seek help locating 2 endangered children, disappearance may be tied to death investigation

[...]

Death Investigation

Family members found Tammy Daybell, 49, dead in her Fremont County home Oct. 19, 2019. At that time, Daybell’s death was believed to be natural.

Daybell was interred in Springville, Utah, on Oct. 22. Subsequent investigation by the FCSO determined Daybell's death may be suspicious. On Dec. 11, Daybell's remains were exhumed by the FCSO, with the assistance of the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner, and an autopsy conducted.

During the course of the death investigation by the FCSO, investigators were made aware that two Rexburg children, ages 7 and 17, were missing.

Investigators determined within a couple weeks of Daybell's death, her surviving husband, Chad Daybell, had married Rexburg resident Lori Vallow, who is the mother of the missing children.

Missing Children Background:
Rexburg police attempted to conduct a welfare check on Joshua Vallow, the adopted 7- year-old special needs son of Lori Vallow, at their residence at 565 Pioneer Road in Rexburg Nov. 26.

The welfare check was being conducted as extended family outside Idaho had not been able to speak with Joshua since September and were concerned.

Investigators from Rexburg police spoke with Lori Vallow and her new husband, Chad Daybell, who indicated Joshua was staying with a family friend in Arizona.

Investigators left but learned later that day that Joshua had not been staying with the friend as indicated by Lori Vallow.

On Nov. 27, Rexburg police executed search warrants at locations in Rexburg associated with Lori Vallow, in an attempt to locate Joshua.

As the search warrants were being executed, investigators determined Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell had abruptly vacated their residence and left Rexburg.

Police then requested assistance from the FBI in locating Joshua.

Read more: Police seek help locating 2 endangered children, disappearance may be tied to death investigation - Local News 8

BBM. Am I understanding correctly that Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell have fled and their whereabouts are unknown as well? The above article goes on to say that no one has seen the kids since September. I hope these kids are ok but this doesn't sound good. :(

I'll have to spend some time reading later (my brain is reeling from the Heidi Broussard case). So are the children also suspected to be dead, or are they just being kept under wraps because they know too much?

I'll have to spend some time reading later (my brain is reeling from the Heidi Broussard case). So are the children also suspected to be dead, or are they just being kept under wraps because they know too much?

As per reports no one even from extended family has seen them since September. Special needs 7 year old adopted Joshua last attended school on Sept 23rd. Welfare check was requested by extended family members.

When police questioned the mother she and her new husband indicated that child is with relatives in Arizona. Police confirmed with relatives that that is not the case. Next day, 27th November police had search warrant but mother and her new hubby were gone. It was also confirmed by witnesses that no children left with them when they fled.

Rexburg, Idaho, children are missing and ‘in pretty serious danger,’ police believe

[...]

It’s not clear what the connection is between the two cases. Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries declined to comment. Turman said the parents have repeatedly lied about the whereabouts of the children.

“They’ve told us several stories about where the children are, but when we investigate, the children don’t exist where they say they should,” he said. “We don’t know where they are at, but we think they are in pretty serious danger.”

On Nov. 26, Rexburg Police tried to conduct a welfare check on Joshua Vallow, Lori Vallow’s adopted 7-year-old special-needs son, at their home at 565 Pioneer Road in Rexburg. Relatives outside of Idaho had requested the check because they hadn’t spoken to Joshua since September.

Rexburg investigators spoke with Vallow and Daybell, who said Joshua was staying with a family friend in Arizona. That turned out to be a lie, Turman said.

On Nov. 27, Rexburg police executed search warrants at locations in Rexburg associated with Vallow, in an attempt to locate Joshua. As the search warrants were being executed, investigators determined that Vallow and Daybell had abruptly left their home and Rexburg. Police do not believe the children were with them when they left.

Turman said they have been in contact with the couple, but authorities do not know where they are, and they continue to be uncooperative.

Investigators also determined Joshua last attended school at Kennedy Elementary in Rexburg on Sept. 23. Additionally, investigators learned that Vallow has a 17-year-old daughter, Tylee Ryan, who was living with Vallow in Rexburg. The teen has not been seen since September.

Investigators have contacted several members of the children’s extended family, but no one has been in contact with the children since September. Additionally, the children have not been officially reported missing to any law enforcement agency.

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article238612018.html#storylink=cpy

BBM

Tammy Daybell's Obituary: Tamara Douglas Daybell

Thank You. So she is previous wife of man who now married mother of missing children. Her death in October, previously noted as natural, is being now re-examined as suspicious.

Oh my, they had 5 children :( . I wonder where they all are.

Last edited:
My sister just texted me about this case and I remember reading one of his books when I was a practicing member of the LDS church (I read a lot of LDS fiction back then). I immediately recognized the name and that the book had felt “off” to me. My blood ran cold reading the articles about the missing children she just sent me. Yikes.
This does not feel good to me at all. There are some podcasts from him and the new wife online but I’m a little spooked to listen right now.

Agree, doesn't look good but also looks complicated.
Police searching for Rexburg children believed to be in serious danger | East Idaho News

I believe this is going to be a more complicated case than it looks on the surface. The children's mother (Lori Wallows) recently married a man (Chad Daybell) a few weeks after his wife died. It was presumed the late wife had died of natural causes but was exhumed recently and her death is now being investigated.
The new wife's husband was shot in a family argument earlier this year:

Chandler Police identify man who was shot dead during family fight

The husband and wife are not cooperating with police and have since vanished.

From the obituary of the first wife of Chad Daybell, Tammy Douglas Daybell passed away peacefully in her sleep on Saturday, October 19, 2019 in Salem, Idaho.
She is also the mother of 5 kids who may all be adults, not sure. Obituary states: Tammy is survived by her husband and five children:

From the second article:
They also determined that within weeks of Tammy Daybell’s death, her surviving husband, Chad Daybell, had married Rexburg resident Lori Vallow, who is the mother of the missing children, according to a news release.

Tammy Daybell's husband (not sure if he was first) but the one preceding Chad died according to this article dated July 11, 2019. Interesting to me is that not only were they estranged but he lived in Texas. Chandler Police identify man who was shot dead during family fight
Chandler Police officials have identified a 63-year-old man who died following a family fight that ended in a shooting.

According to a statement, the victim, identified as Charles Vallow of Texas

Kids haven't been seen since September 23? That would be BEFORE Chad's first wife died.
Do the schools not have a duty to report a child missing? This seems insane that the family reported the ONE child missing but nothing from school to child protective services?

My mini timeline

July 11, 2019 Charles Vallow (The estranged husband of Lori Vallow, now Daybell and Father of Joshua) Dies in TEXAS
Shot twice in chest by Lori's brother during an argument. No charges
September 23, 2019 Joshua Vallow last attended Kennedy Elementary in Rexburg, ID
(no relative has spoken to him since either)
September 2019 Tylee Ryan, 17 had been living w/ Lori and is eventually discovered missing as well.
(my guess is a different family than who asked for the welfare check for Joshua? )
October 19, 2019 Tammy Daybell dies in Salem, Idaho
October 22, 1019 Tammy Daybell death determined Suspicious
November 26, 2019 Welfare check conducted, Lori and Chad say Joshua with friend in AZ
November 27, 2019 LE determine "friend" was lie, return with search warrants to find Lori and Chad left abruptly
December 11, 2019 Tammy Daybell's body exhumed

Joshua is a 7-year-old with brown hair and brown eyes. He is 4 feet tall and weighs 50 pounds.

Tylee is a 17-year-old with blonde hair and blue eyes. She is 5 feet tall and weighs 160 pounds.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the children since Sept. is asked to contact the Rexburg Police Department, at 1-208-359-3000, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), at 1-800-THE-LOST.

Are Chad and Lori POI's and sleuthable?

Last edited:
Thank You. So she is previous wife of man who now married mother of missing children. Her death in October, previously noted as natural, is being now re-examined as suspicious.

Oh my, they had 5 children :( . I wonder where they all are.
I am thinking because the obituary noted male names in parenthesis next to the female names they are adult children. I hope.

I have a feeling there is quite a rabbit hole to go down researching Lori Vallow. I know we can't sleuth her family but hopefully it is ok to post these MSM articles about another incident (Lori's estranged husband and the father of the missing boy was shot dead in July):

Man dead after family fight at Chandler home leads to shooting
Texas man killed during family argument in Chandler
Man shot, killed by brother-in-law in Chandler; no charges filed

I wonder if police will be re-examining that case now.

MOO.

Respectfully, I think you mean Lori Vallow's ex husband.

ETA: quote didn't work, this is a reply to @diggndeeperstill.
Oh shoot! I did! I mainly did that post to get it straight myself and I messed it up! Yes! It should have read Lori Vallow’s estranged husband. (I’m not sure if he was ex husband as the articles refer to him estranged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne