Resolved ID - Mountain Home, Two children's skeletal remains in badger hole, Apr'17 - ANCIENT

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by hollye, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

But a forensic anthropologist determined that the remains are of a child between ages 4 and 6 and a teenager or young adult between the ages of 16 and 20.

So-called "bomb carbon dating" of the bones will determine whether the two lived before or after the introduction of atomic radiation to the atmosphere from atmospheric nuclear bomb tests in the 1950s, said Samantha Blatt, the Boise State University anthropologist examining the bones. Depending on the results, additional tests could narrow the period when the two were living.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article146590794.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14i02f31WDI

2. desert-blue

desert-blue Active Member

Also, cotton decomposes very quickly - it can be gone in as little as 6 months. Leather (for shoes) has a decomposition time of around 50 years. I think it's possible there could just be nothing left of their clothing if they were buried 150+ years ago. (carbon dating results, where are you????)

3. 4SAM

4SAM Kentucky - Texas - Kansas - Missouri

How long does the carbon dating usually take?

4. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

Too long apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

The sample preparation can take a couple of days - it depends on the method being used. The actual testing takes a few hours with some methods, a few minutes with others.
    The slow ones are called gas counting and liquid scintillation. The fast one is accelerator dating.
    http://www.lawas.co.nz/arch/C14faq.htm

6. LucyOso

LucyOso Verified Registered Nurse

This is a great point. I know the area very well and popping off I-84 is convenient and one can easily be secluded rather quickly. Pop off the interstate and hop back on. Rest stop, pee break if you get questioned. There really is only desert near there that is conveniently accessible. Yes, there are mountains, but access would be limited to 3-4 months out of the year due to snow, mud, etc. There are many private properties and federal lands. The likelihood that a body in the desert in found is very, very limited. Especially with excessive sage brush and grasses covering the desert floor. Unless this was a summer incident, they would be very limited on where they could bury bodies without risking getting a vehicle stuck and getting stranded. IMOO.

7. 4SAM

How solid, packed would the dirt had been during summer months in this area?

8. sassyblue

sassyblue Well-Known Member

Judging by my soil several miles away very hard packed.

9. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Ok, I am ignorant of what you mean by 'Oregon Trail' although I am familiar with the computer game. Help!

10. 4SAM

11. 4SAM

So they would have had to been there a while digging a grave. If it was in summer when left.

12. sassyblue

sassyblue Well-Known Member

I would think so. Or bodies just dumped. I could drive out there later today and see how hard packed it is after our recent rains.

13. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

hahaha just Google....

14. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that this could be 2 of the Skeletal boys?

15. Kaydence

Kaydence Active Member

When I saw the age difference I immediately went to the boy and girl (possibly Tara Calico) from the Polaroid photo.

I hope it's not the Skelton boys.

16. 4SAM

Where is the 3rd boy then? Could there be more bodies that they missed, remember Robert Evans/barrels situation

17. puzzleme

puzzleme Member

I think that will always be etched on by brain.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

18. LucyOso

LucyOso Verified Registered Nurse

It really depends. It depends on the time of year, if there was a creek or waterway nearby, and of course the area. There can be gravel beds, clay, limestone, or anything under the dirt. There can be creeks that change location depending on when they were buried. The person also could have picked an existing ant hill, fox/coyote den, rabbit hole, badger sett, or gopher mound and dug into that. If it was July, August, or September then yes, it would take a bit of effort to dig. It would be interesting to see if there was a road nearby where one could shine headlights onto an area working. I would imagine with this location, the person, if it was at night, would have a good long distance visual of upcoming traffic as well.

19. Cricket99

Cricket99 Well-Known Member

I have lived in Idaho my entire life and my family for generations before me so my 93 yr old Dad tells me all the history. It did not get very populated until the last 50 years. If these bones are close to that old it would have been easy to bury them in broad daylight without anyone paying any attention to what you were doing. The freeway wasn't much back then. I hope we find out soon how old the bones are. I love history so am hoping for pioneers. I have a friend who dug up a solid gold brick a few years ago near Mtn. Home - it was in a wooden box which had fallen apart and pretty much eroded and there was a note with the date on it. Evidently, there had been stagecoach robberies in the area but we will never know who buried it.

20. 4SAM

Were the bodies on top of each other or side by side?