Found Deceased ID - Raymond Jones, 39, bow hunting mtn goats, east fork of Hayden Creek, Lemhi Co, 7 Sep 1968

Remains of Idaho hunter missing for 53 years found by another hunter

Raymond Jones, 39, was last seen on Sept. 7, 1968, while bow hunting mountain goats near the east fork of Hayden Creek near the city of Salmon, about 160 miles northwest of Idaho Falls.

His remains were found on Sept. 17, 2021, 53 years later — by another man who was bow hunting mountain goats.

Wow! Glad that he was found at last. I wonder what happened.

And, off topic but, I had NO idea people bow-hunted mountain goats…

They do, but it's not the safest hobby given that mountain goats prefer the most rugged of terrain. It wouldn’t have been a suspicious death - the terrain doesn't particularly allow for anyone to lie in wait in case a random hunter comes along. It's telling that he was found by a fellow bowhunter looking for a shortcut.

Son of hunter found after 53 years says he's 'lucky to know what happened to my dad' - East Idaho News

IDAHO FALLS — For most of his life, September has been a hard month for Jeffrey Jones.

He was born on Sept. 7, his dad’s 27th birthday, and for 12 years, they celebrated their special day together. But in 1968, on their birthday, Jeffrey’s dad, Raymond Jones, went hunting in the east fork of Hayden Creek in Lemhi County and never returned.

“Every September, the memories come rushing back,” Jeffrey tells EastIdahoNews.com. “Several years ago, I got a tattoo on my arm that is a portrait of my dad. It has Sept. 7 on it and the phrase ‘Wake Me up When September Ends’ from the Green Day song.

Son of hunter found after 53 years says he's 'lucky to know what happened to my dad' - East Idaho News

IDAHO FALLS — For most of his life, September has been a hard month for Jeffrey Jones.

He was born on Sept. 7, his dad’s 27th birthday, and for 12 years, they celebrated their special day together. But in 1968, on their birthday, Jeffrey’s dad, Raymond Jones, went hunting in the east fork of Hayden Creek in Lemhi County and never returned.

“Every September, the memories come rushing back,” Jeffrey tells EastIdahoNews.com. “Several years ago, I got a tattoo on my arm that is a portrait of my dad. It has Sept. 7 on it and the phrase ‘Wake Me up When September Ends’ from the Green Day song.
I am so relieved for this son that he finally has some small amount of closure and can lay his father to rest.
❤️

Wow! Glad that he was found at last. I wonder what happened.

His son told me that it was surmised that he was attempting to climb a rocky area and a large boulder came down on him.

I just learned of this story yesterday! It is compounded by several other heartbreaking stories in the son's life.
I am so grateful that he was finally given some closure.

I was just in Idaho a couple of weeks back. I too had no idea people hunted mountain goats. They do indeed climb up rocky areas like it’s no problem. I was amazed. I was too scared to climb over where these guys were.

Attachments

• IMG_8349.jpeg
    IMG_8349.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 8

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads