GUILTY ID - Taryn Summers, 8, sibs Tristan Sexton 17 (MISSING 10/1) & Taylor 14, safe, 15 Apr 2021 *arrest

Emmett woman pleads guilty to 2 felonies, but granddaughter's death a mystery - East Idaho News

Feb 16, 2022

Information on the cause of Taryn’s death has not been released. The probable cause affidavit said vomit was discovered on Taryn’s shirt and in her hair during an autopsy.

In January, when mediation was scheduled, Gem County Prosecuting Attorney Erick Thomson told District Judge Gene Petty that the state planned to “change charges and charging language in this case.”

The crime of felony injury to child, which was added to the case on Tuesday, is described under state law as a person who puts a child “under circumstances or conditions likely to produce great bodily harm or death, willfully causes or permits any child to suffer, or inflicts thereon unjustifiable physical pain or mental suffering, or having the care or custody of any child, willfully causes or permits the person or health of such child to be injured, or willfully causes or permits such child to be placed in such situation that its person or health is endangered.”

On Wednesday, Thomson said the state has information about the death but will not discuss it until sentencing.

“I know everyone wants to know what happened here, and that’s not at this point in the proceedings appropriate for me to go into,” he told the Idaho Statesman.

A sentencing hearing for Smith is scheduled for April 8. She is in the custody of the Gem County Jail on an $800,000 bond.

taryn-summers.jpg

Obituary posted for Taryn K. (Summers) Quinton. See Obituary for Taryn K. (Summers) Quinton | Potter Funeral Chapel

On May 25th, 2012 at 8:07 PM Bobbi and Kyle Quinton welcomed their beautiful baby girl into the world at Saint Luke's hospital in downtown Boise. Beginning the day she was born she could put a smile on your face with her bright personality, fiery red hair and all. Taryn was a lover and often thought of others before herself. She could be found snuggling up with her "Twinkle Twinkle" blanket, that her mom made for her, while watching Doc McStuffins, or running amuck with her cousins in the backyard, clearly up to some shenanigans. You wouldn't see one without seeing the others.

Taryn had a desire for learning and excelled at school. She Attended Hawthorne Elementary for Pre-K, kindergarten and first grade before transferring to Discovery Elementary and then Shadow Butte Elementary.

Taryn had a love for unicorns and coloring. She would often make or color a picture for someone and it would put the greatest smile on her face and give her joy in her heart. She also enjoyed going on nature walks and finding heart shaped rocks with her grandma. Taryn adored her family and friends and there is no other quite like her. Her bright light and bubbly personality will be forever missed by her untimely death.

Taryn's body was found on April 15th, 2021 after being reported missing on April 12th, 2021.

Taryn had resided in Emmett, Idaho for a brief period but while she was there the community was nothing short of amazing to her with the support they gave with looking for her and the candle light vigil that was held in her honor. We would also like to thank the Potter Funeral Chapel for all they have done and being so patient with us throughout this process.

Taryn was survived by her parents, Bobbi and Kyle Quinton; siblings, Taylor (at the time), Tristan, Tatum and Kyler; aunts, Jennifer Sexton, Heather Milligan, Kayla Quinton, and Mandi Adams; uncles, Adam Quinton and Owen Milligan; grandparents, Daryle and Tami Sexton, Rosa and Eric Nielsen, Keith Quinton; great grandparents, Bob and Patsy Gardner, Susie Sexton; cousins, Shawn, Jason, Hope, Emilee, Braiden, Audrey, Alyssa, Jasper, and many other family members. She is preceded in death by her cousins, James Milligan and Jade Schach; uncle, Kyle Sexton; great grandparents, Bonnie and Robert Morton and Jerry Sexton.

Although her life was cut short, she made a profound impact on those who knew and loved her. Her spirit will continue to live on as we fight for justice and become her voice. She will always be remembered as the kindhearted beautiful soul she was.

On Wednesday, Thomson said the state has information about the death but will not discuss it until sentencing.

“I know everyone wants to know what happened here, and that’s not at this point in the proceedings appropriate for me to go into,” he told the Idaho Statesman.

A sentencing hearing for Smith is scheduled for April 8. She is in the custody of the Gem County Jail on an $800,000 bond.
^^sbbm

I can't find any information on whether or not the defendant Connie Smith's sentencing was delayed or if it happened without any coverage. :eek:

(Sentencing was scheduled in Feb for April 8, 2022).

I've been waiting ever since the prosecutor promised to reveal what actually happened to Taryn at sentencing. ?????

^^sbbm

I can't find any information on whether or not the defendant Connie Smith's sentencing was delayed or if it happened without any coverage. :eek:

(Sentencing was scheduled in Feb for April 8, 2022).

I've been waiting ever since the prosecutor promised to reveal what actually happened to Taryn at sentencing. ?????
The PSI was filed 4/21 and an addendum filed 4/27. Meanwhile, a motion was heard to allow the family to review the pre-sentencing report and that motion was granted on 4/29. Sentencing is now scheduled for 5/20, 9 a.m.

Details (idaho.gov)

CR23-21-0482 | State of Idaho Plaintiff, vs. Connie Ann Smith Defendant.

05/20/2022 Sentencing
Judicial Officer Petty, Gene A.
Hearing Time 9:00 AM
Comment IN PERSON

#Justice4Taryn

The PSI was filed 4/21 and an addendum filed 4/27. Meanwhile, a motion was heard to allow the family to review the pre-sentencing report and that motion was granted on 4/29. Sentencing is now scheduled for 5/20, 9 a.m.

Details (idaho.gov)

CR23-21-0482 | State of Idaho Plaintiff, vs. Connie Ann Smith Defendant.

05/20/2022 Sentencing
Judicial Officer Petty, Gene A.
Hearing Time 9:00 AM
Comment IN PERSON

#Justice4Taryn
Thanks for the update on the hearing date! :)

MAY 20

EMMETT, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) — An Emmett grandmother arrested on first degree murder charges in the death of an 8-year-old girl has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

The grandmother, 54-year-old Connie Ann Smith, pleaded guilty to charges of felony injury to a child and felony failure to notify authorities of a death.

MAY 20

EMMETT, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) — An Emmett grandmother arrested on first degree murder charges in the death of an 8-year-old girl has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

The grandmother, 54-year-old Connie Ann Smith, pleaded guilty to charges of felony injury to a child and felony failure to notify authorities of a death.

Only 20 yrs for murdering a child?!

She's only 54 years old, so this isn't necessarily a life sentence for her.

MAY 20, 2022
[...]

On Friday in Gem County Court, District Judge Gene Petty sentenced Smith to five years fixed and five years indeterminate for injury to a child, and 10 years indeterminate for failure to report Taryn's death. Once she has served five years, Smith may apply for parole.

No one is currently charged with the killing of Taryn Summers, and her cause of death has not been determined.

I'm not understanding the sentence so hope it was explained -- I don't want her released after 5 years! Off to look for the presser.

ETA: Seems CS will serve at least 5 years and then she's eligible for parole. I'm thinking about little Roman Lopez of Placerville, CA that was also starved to death. From the autopsy, I don't understand why CS wasn't also charged with child abuse and torture charges. MOO

Last edited:

5/20/22

After a two-hour emotional sentencing hearing, 3rd District Judge Gene Petty sentenced Smith to five years fixed and 15 years indeterminate. She will receive credit for time served, as she spent 13 months in the Gem County Jail. Smith could be eligible for parole by 2026.

“All you had to do was love us and take care of us,” Taryn’s brother, Tristan Conner Sexton, said Friday speaking towards Smith during the sentencing hearing. “What was so wrong with us that you mistreated us and abused us? That, I’ll never understand.”

The details of what happened to Taryn were unclear until Friday.

In April 2021, the family of Taryn was “forever changed” after the Gem County authorities reported her and her two older siblings missing, family member Daryl Hall Sexton testified Friday. But 8-year-old Taryn wasn’t missing — she was dead.

Taryn’s 15-year-old sister Taylor Summers died two months after Taryn in an accidental drowning in Twin Falls, the Emmett Messenger-Index reported. Taylor and Tristan ran away in 2020 but had frequent contact with family.

“You caused the death of Taryn,” family member Daryl said. “Taryn was malnourished, she was tormented and she lived in fear every day in your care. You took away her dignity. You never allowed her to flourish or develop into the beautiful girl she was.”

[..]

Prior to sentencing Smith, Petty said that while Smith’s intentions might have been good, she failed.

“You were responsible for her, you were responsible to make sure that she was taken care of well — that she got the care that she needed,” Petty said “And you failed at that. You neglected to get Taryn the help that she clearly needed.” A restitution hearing is set for 9:30 a.m. June 3.

GEM COUNTY PROSECUTOR DETAILS SMITH’S ‘HORRIFIC CRIME’

In a roughly 30-minute argument, Gem County Prosecutor Erick Thomson detailed the days surrounding Taryn’s death.

“Judge, this is a horrific crime,” Thomson said.
Information surrounding Taryn’s cause of death had not been released previously. Thomson said a pathologist determined during Taryn’s autopsy that she was dehydrated, failed to thrive, had pneumonia and suffered blunt force trauma to her head. Children are diagnosed with failure to thrive when they are significantly underweight.

[..]

“I think it’s safe to say Taryn was incredibly sick in the back of that car and dying at the time,” Thomson said.

When Smith found Taryn dead in her bedroom hours later, Thomson said she “panicked.” According to Thomson, Smith then stuffed Taryn’s body into a trash bag and put her in the vehicle. Smith then proceeded to call the cops and report Taryn as a runaway.

“Judge, I’m going to ask you today that you send Connie Smith to prison for 20 years,” Thomson said. “I also asked you give her the chance for parole after five (years). That chance of mercy, humanity, is something she didn’t give Taryn.”

TEXT MESSAGES DETAIL TARYN’S DECLINE BEFORE DEATH

Smith’s son David Summers was watching over Taryn on April 9 — just a few days before Taryn died, Thomson said during the hearing.
David Summers texted Smith while he was watching her to ask if he could give Taryn some Pepto Bismol as she wasn’t feeling well. Smith responded, “No, on my way,” said Thomson, who read a transcript of the text messages in court Friday.

“What you’re doing isn’t helping Mom. She’s getting worse,” Summers texted Smith back, 45 minutes later. “I know you feel like she’s just being a sh–. But either you got to do things drastically different … it has to change if it’s not too late.”

“Anyone other than you, I’d be making a call, Mom,” David Summers continued. “Like, she’s in a condition that if someone else saw her and called I’d be f—ed too, and it’s not good for you either. … What you are all doing is killing both of you.”

The only positive about today is learning that Taryn's brother Triston was in court today. I'm glad that he's been found, and my heart breaks for him.

“All you had to do was love us and take care of us,” Taryn’s brother, Tristan Conner Sexton, said Friday speaking towards Smith during the sentencing hearing. “What was so wrong with us that you mistreated us and abused us? That, I’ll never understand.”

What the heck happened to Taryn? It does seem like she was already sick and her "grandmother" refused to get her medical help. Was this poor baby poisoned or something? Is David Summers Taryn's father or an uncle?

This case is such a tragedy. Taryn gone like this, she most likely suffered a lot and then Taylor... I just hope poor Tristan is getting some help and is being supported. Poor kid.

What the heck happened to Taryn? It does seem like she was already sick and her "grandmother" refused to get her medical help. Was this poor baby poisoned or something? Is David Summers Taryn's father or an uncle?

This case is such a tragedy. Taryn gone like this, she most likely suffered a lot and then Taylor... I just hope poor Tristan is getting some help and is being supported. Poor kid.
Taryn was malnourished and failing to thrive which in medical terms indicates her organs were shutting down. I believe she was deprived of food and water under the care of Smith. IMO, grandmother should have also been charged with child abuse and torture. Unfortunately, I'm afraid Taryn is another child that fell under the radar during the pandemic. MOO

“Anyone other than you, I’d be making a call, Mom,” David Summers continued. “Like, she’s in a condition that if someone else saw her and called I’d be f—ed too, and it’s not good for you either. … What you are all doing is killing both of you.”

This text message from her uncle to her grandmother is horrific! I hope he was charged for not reporting the child abuse and neglect that was OBVIOUSLY happening to Taryn. He should bear some of the burden and shame of what happened to that little girl - he saw her and knew, yet did nothing... Taryn, rest in peace baby girl, no more terror and pain only love from Him as he gently holds you in His arms, peaceful sleep sweetheart.

5/20/22

After a two-hour emotional sentencing hearing, 3rd District Judge Gene Petty sentenced Smith to five years fixed and 15 years indeterminate. She will receive credit for time served, as she spent 13 months in the Gem County Jail. Smith could be eligible for parole by 2026.

The details of what happened to Taryn were unclear until Friday.

In April 2021, the family of Taryn was “forever changed” after the Gem County authorities reported her and her two older siblings missing, family member Daryl Hall Sexton testified Friday. But 8-year-old Taryn wasn’t missing — she was dead.

Taryn’s 15-year-old sister Taylor Summers died two months after Taryn in an accidental drowning in Twin Falls, the Emmett Messenger-Index reported. Taylor and Tristan ran away in 2020 but had frequent contact with family.

“You caused the death of Taryn,” family member Daryl said. “Taryn was malnourished, she was tormented and she lived in fear every day in your care. You took away her dignity. You never allowed her to flourish or develop into the beautiful girl she was.”

[..]

Prior to sentencing Smith, Petty said that while Smith’s intentions might have been good, she failed.

“You were responsible for her, you were responsible to make sure that she was taken care of well — that she got the care that she needed,” Petty said “And you failed at that. You neglected to get Taryn the help that she clearly needed.” A restitution hearing is set for 9:30 a.m. June 3.

GEM COUNTY PROSECUTOR DETAILS SMITH’S ‘HORRIFIC CRIME’

In a roughly 30-minute argument, Gem County Prosecutor Erick Thomson detailed the days surrounding Taryn’s death.

“Judge, this is a horrific crime,” Thomson said.
Information surrounding Taryn’s cause of death had not been released previously. Thomson said a pathologist determined during Taryn’s autopsy that she was dehydrated, failed to thrive, had pneumonia and suffered blunt force trauma to her head. Children are diagnosed with failure to thrive when they are significantly underweight.

[..]

“I think it’s safe to say Taryn was incredibly sick in the back of that car and dying at the time,” Thomson said.

When Smith found Taryn dead in her bedroom hours later, Thomson said she “panicked.” According to Thomson, Smith then stuffed Taryn’s body into a trash bag and put her in the vehicle. Smith then proceeded to call the cops and report Taryn as a runaway.

“Judge, I’m going to ask you today that you send Connie Smith to prison for 20 years,” Thomson said. “I also asked you give her the chance for parole after five (years). That chance of mercy, humanity, is something she didn’t give Taryn.”

TEXT MESSAGES DETAIL TARYN’S DECLINE BEFORE DEATH

Smith’s son David Summers was watching over Taryn on April 9 — just a few days before Taryn died, Thomson said during the hearing.
David Summers texted Smith while he was watching her to ask if he could give Taryn some Pepto Bismol as she wasn’t feeling well. Smith responded, “No, on my way,” said Thomson, who read a transcript of the text messages in court Friday.

“What you’re doing isn’t helping Mom. She’s getting worse,” Summers texted Smith back, 45 minutes later. “I know you feel like she’s just being a sh–. But either you got to do things drastically different … it has to change if it’s not too late.”

There is not a crying emoji in this new format. So I had to like this post. But I’m sobbing all over again at these details, as I did when I first heard of this case and little Taryn. She reminds me so much of my own granddaughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back