Found Deceased ID - Zeke Best, 10-months, abducted by homicide suspect bio father Jeremy Best 41, Victor, 30 Nov 2023 *father arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I cannot dismiss my nagging feeling that there was some jealousy on his part involved. He was the light of her life, then a replacement (in his eyes, maybe) came along -- Zeke. Then . . . another baby on way.

I cannot dismiss my nagging feeling that there was some jealousy on his part involved. He was the light of her life, then a replacement (in his eyes, maybe) came along -- Zeke. Then . . . another baby on way.
You might be right, some men are like that. I noticed there were very few pictures of him with Kali & Zeke. She was a unique individual, the world lost three bright lights.

An Idaho father accused of killing his pregnant wife before making off with their baby has appeared blank-faced his mugshot - as relatives of the alleged victims speak out about their 'unimaginable' pain.

Mechanic Jeremy Albert Best, 48, looked dazed and disheveled amid a mane of wild hair and a gray beard in the booking photo, taken one day after he was found naked in a forest near the body of his dead 10-month-old son.

Police believe Best killed his wife Kali Jean Randall, 38, at their home in Victor, Idaho, on Thursday, before abducting their baby, Zeke Gregory Best.

Randall's cousin, Meg Fischer, released a statement on behalf of her family thanking friends for their support amid horrific circumstances.

'We thank all of you for walking with us during this time,' Fischer said in a message sent to East Idaho News.

My utmost condolences to Kali's grieving family and friends.

From the above link :

mugshot.jpeg

I get it that he needs mental help.
Although maybe since he's been arrested and after going through withdrawal, he may be sober enough to realize what he's done ?
Maybe he's not mentally ill but went into a depression and a on a bad drug 'trip' ?
His choice.

At this time I think he needs prison and not a mental hospital.
He can receive treatment behind bars.
Sounds harsh, but that' my opinion as of now.

I'm still reeling from this expectant mother and her baby boy's deaths. That's three people, imo.

Last edited:
Now, you're supposed to receive mental health treatment in the least restrictive environment. Easy enough, if you have the presence of mind to seek treatment, and the financial means to do so. But it seems that until someone commits a heinous act, injures or murders someone(s), they are not forced to get treatment. There are not enough affordable or no-cost treatment facilities "in the least restrictive environment", for those who desperately need treatment. We are expecting those who are not fully competent to judge for themselves whether or not they are in need of mental health treatment. Something has needed to be changed for quite some time.

An Idaho father accused of killing his pregnant wife before making off with their baby has appeared blank-faced his mugshot - as relatives of the alleged victims speak out about their 'unimaginable' pain.

Mechanic Jeremy Albert Best, 48, looked dazed and disheveled amid a mane of wild hair and a gray beard in the booking photo, taken one day after he was found naked in a forest near the body of his dead 10-month-old son.

Police believe Best killed his wife Kali Jean Randall, 38, at their home in Victor, Idaho, on Thursday, before abducting their baby, Zeke Gregory Best.

Randall's cousin, Meg Fischer, released a statement on behalf of her family thanking friends for their support amid horrific circumstances.

'We thank all of you for walking with us during this time,' Fischer said in a message sent to East Idaho News.

My utmost condolences to Kali's grieving family and friends.

From the above link :

View attachment 465697

I get it that he needs mental help.
Although maybe since he's been arrested and after going through withdrawal, he may be sober enough to realize what he's done ?
Maybe he's not mentally ill but went into a depression and a on a bad drug 'trip' ?
His choice.

At this time I think he needs prison and not a mental hospital.
He can receive treatment behind bars.
Sounds harsh, but that' my opinion as of now.

I'm still reeling from this expectant mother and her baby boy's deaths. That's three people, imo.

Well, since Idaho has no plea of not guilty by reason of insanity, he is going to go to prison. Where yes, he'll receive medical treatment.

IMO

How devastating :( I hope Zeke and Kali are at peace together now at least.

The healthcare system (especially the behavioral health sector) in the USA is horrific and grossly negligent in many ways, and there are so many more cases that we never even hear about of people harming themselves and/or others because they’re not properly evaluated and treated accordingly. This is a really tragic example of that. IMO, it’s unlikely that, if Jeremy was in such a state that he was wandering around and entering stores naked, he was able to hide it and/or manipulate the hospital staff into believing he was fine. Do we know if he was taken to a hospital that even has psych staff on site though? Wondering because I’ve been to a hospital without psych staff and they generally just have you talk to a regular doctor about your symptoms and tell you to go home and “keep an eye on it”. Which is another glaring issue with the whole system. I hate that this was the outcome. If only he had been kept at the hospital.

Edited for wording & clarity!!
I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know who he saw at the hospital but they do have several psychiatrists on staff according to their website. I cannot believe that they let him go the same afternoon when the police sent him there. It is very much like Lori Vallow being released immediately after the psych eval in AZ. These mental health ”professionals” need to be taking their jobs a bit more seriously. The 72-hour hold gives them 3 days to evaluate before deciding whether to release or commit for further treatment. So why are people like this being put back on the street? I hope someone files some lawsuits against these doctors and facilities and holds them accountable for these deaths.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know who he saw at the hospital but they do have several psychiatrists on staff according to their website. I cannot believe that they let him go the same afternoon when the police sent him there. It is very much like Lori Vallow being released immediately after the psych eval in AZ. These mental health ”professionals” need to be taking their jobs a bit more seriously. The 72-hour hold gives them 3 days to evaluate before deciding whether to release or commit for further treatment. So why are people like this being put back on the street? I hope someone files some lawsuits against these doctors and facilities and holds them accountable for these deaths.

I've worked in ER's, psychiatric hospitals, jails and prisons - as a researcher. At first, I was really shocked by who does NOT get held against their will.

But apparently, the US Constitution calls for due process. And local practices and budgets are not up to the task.

Being naked in a store is NOT a reason for most people to get more than a ticket - even though the rest of us think it's a psychiatric issue. It's not our opinion that counts.

To get someone like this on a hold, the family has to be highly energetic and find the right doctor (one who will sign for a 72 hour hold).

I have been through this process with a family member. It is a full time job, really, getting them remanded into care - for three days! During that time, the staff at the facility will try and convince the person to stay longer - voluntarily (and many of them do, as they are horrified at their own behavior once they are stabilized).

Mental illness is real. And I totally agree with you that our system is a failure. 72 hour holds are not given in most places just because someone disrobes in public.

Over and over, the courts rule and the law says: must be a danger to themselves or others.

Being naked is not a threat to others. There are hundreds of small infractions that people with less than stellar mental health do daily (speeding is more a threat to others - and deliberate speeding is very much a threat to others - do we ever see people put on psychiatric holds for speeding?)

Psychiatrists are trained to a certain standard. If the person is ranting about killing others, if the person ALSO has the means to kill others (guns, knives)...then MAYBE they'll go on a hold. But IME, psychiatrists want to meet the standard of their own profession. The patient either has to state their intentions (I'm going to kill myself) AND have the means. The standard next questions are about the HOW. How do you plan to do it? How do you plan to harm others?

The answers that people give to this (after being naked in public or doing some other weird act) are various. Many of them are able to pull themselves together (in the cold light of the psychiatric assessment) and say "I don't plan to kill anyone."

They will walk free. Unless, of course, they've been throwing rocks off freeways or shooting at cars. But merely being naked in a store? NO way is that to the standard of most of our 50 states.

Legal reform is needed - there's no way to make psychiatrists and other physicians do what they are not trained to do. (If I were a family member of Kali's, I'd be planning a civil suit - that's probably the only way we'll get change; isn't likely to happen, but we can hope).

IMO. IME.

I've worked in ER's, psychiatric hospitals, jails and prisons - as a researcher. At first, I was really shocked by who does NOT get held against their will.

But apparently, the US Constitution calls for due process. And local practices and budgets are not up to the task.

Being naked in a store is NOT a reason for most people to get more than a ticket - even though the rest of us think it's a psychiatric issue. It's not our opinion that counts.

To get someone like this on a hold, the family has to be highly energetic and find the right doctor (one who will sign for a 72 hour hold).

I have been through this process with a family member. It is a full time job, really, getting them remanded into care - for three days! During that time, the staff at the facility will try and convince the person to stay longer - voluntarily (and many of them do, as they are horrified at their own behavior once they are stabilized).

Mental illness is real. And I totally agree with you that our system is a failure. 72 hour holds are not given in most places just because someone disrobes in public.

Over and over, the courts rule and the law says: must be a danger to themselves or others.

Being naked is not a threat to others. There are hundreds of small infractions that people with less than stellar mental health do daily (speeding is more a threat to others - and deliberate speeding is very much a threat to others - do we ever see people put on psychiatric holds for speeding?)

Psychiatrists are trained to a certain standard. If the person is ranting about killing others, if the person ALSO has the means to kill others (guns, knives)...then MAYBE they'll go on a hold. But IME, psychiatrists want to meet the standard of their own profession. The patient either has to state their intentions (I'm going to kill myself) AND have the means. The standard next questions are about the HOW. How do you plan to do it? How do you plan to harm others?

The answers that people give to this (after being naked in public or doing some other weird act) are various. Many of them are able to pull themselves together (in the cold light of the psychiatric assessment) and say "I don't plan to kill anyone."

They will walk free. Unless, of course, they've been throwing rocks off freeways or shooting at cars. But merely being naked in a store? NO way is that to the standard of most of our 50 states.

Legal reform is needed - there's no way to make psychiatrists and other physicians do what they are not trained to do. (If I were a family member of Kali's, I'd be planning a civil suit - that's probably the only way we'll get change; isn't likely to happen, but we can hope).

IMO. IME.
Thank you for the insight. I guess it’s a little different here in Arkansas. If LE sends you to the hospital to be evaluated it would take an act of congress to get you out in less than 72-hours and all a family member needs to do is sign a paper and you will get picked up and held for the minimum 72-hours. Both have happened to my sister and she had no weapons and threatened no one including herself. One of the times they kept her 30 days and the other for 45 days - it was all drug related. Also my niece was really messed up on some bad drugs and passed out in a park and law enforcement picked her up for public intoxication or something like that and sent her to a psych ward for 72-hours - then they transferred her to a short term rehab facility and they held her there for about a week longer while she detoxed and she had to complete certain criteria - therapy and group sessions before she was released and later she was required by the court to do outpatient rehab because of the charges against her. I can’t believe Arkansas deals with psych holds better than the rest of the country since we’re usually last in such things but maybe we are doing a better job with that at least.

@aafromaa Sorry to hear that, how is she doing now if you don't mind me asking? I'm Impressed with the treatment she received.
I am so upset about JB having a breakdown and yet released and then his wife/son/unborn child are now deceased. I want to blame someone but the laws give everyone an out. IMO.

I wonder when we will learn more…. Whether it was drugs or psychosis or whatnot.

Surprised that both families haven’t spoken out, unless I just haven’t seen it yet….. I guess I’m desperately looking for answers that may not exist.

I wonder when we will learn more…. Whether it was drugs or psychosis or whatnot.

Surprised that both families haven’t spoken out, unless I just haven’t seen it yet….. I guess I’m desperately looking for answers that may not exist.
IDAHO FALLS — The family of Kali Jean Randall issued a statement Saturday evening following the discovery of Zeke Best and the arrest of Jeremy Best.

“We thank all of you for walking with us during this time. Our Zeke is now at rest with his loving mama and unborn sibling,” says the statement from Brian Randall, Kali Randall’s brother. “The pain we feel is unimaginable and we thank everyone for their support. You will never know how you have lifted our family up during this time. As this is an ongoing investigation, we ask for privacy as we take time to process and grieve.”

1701661597803.png

Unfortunately unless somebody says they are going to harm themselves or others they pretty much get the boot and told to follow up with their doctor.
Was Best seeing a doctor for mental health issues? Was he on meds? Was he doing drugs (my first guess after seeing his booking photo)? Did Kali have any friends or family she confided to about what was going on in the home? A person doesn't go from 0 to 60 like this guy did without some kind of red flags that something isn't right.

My heart is broken to read this news :( RIH Zeke, with your mama.
Based on what is currently known, his marked change in appearance, and comments from locals under articles I am going to guess drug induced psychosis.

In court at 11:00 this morning - he looks crazy (starts close to 31 min)! Then, of course, seeing Archibald as his defense is interesting.

If found guilty, Best could face 10 years to life in prison or the death penalty. Prosecutors have 60 days from Best’s initial plea to file a notice of intent to seek the death penalty.

Last edited:
Count 1 - Murder in the 1st (wife) / penalty min 10 years - life (he starts crying as this is read) shot in back, breast, and right side
Count 2 - Murder in the 1st (fetus) / penalty min 10 years - life fetus killed when wife was shot
Count 3 - Use of fire arm in commission of crime - enhanced adds 15 years

They didn't list anything for baby Zeke today

Archibald asks for mental health assessment - Jeremy claims he is not his attorney!

Preliminary hearing set for Dec 18 at 9:00 a.m., but will likely be delayed due to MH eval.

State is asking for defendant to be held without bond since the charges could be punishable by death.
No known ties in community - additional charges are pending including running from LE

Archibald is not asking for bond

No bond - he is held

In court at 11:00 this morning - he looks crazy (starts close to 31 min)! Then, of course, seeing Archibald as his defense is interesting.

If found guilty, Best could face 10 years to life in prison or the death penalty. Prosecutors have 60 days from Best’s initial plea to file a notice of intent to seek the death penalty.
Fast-forward to 27:01 to save tearing your hair out. Oh, and the audio could not be worse.

was Jeremy naked in his hearing? I note he appears to NOT be wearing a shirt? Best's demeanor was distracted, disengaged, constantly stroking his hair and beard. He asked "what are the charges?" Once they are read he begins to cry and is very agitated. When Archibald mentions that he and Maleck agree that a competency evaluation is in order, Best adamantly shakes his head no and states to Archibald "you are not my lawyer"

He then goes back to his fidgeting and stroking his hair and beard. He becomes emotional again when the states attorney is discussing why he should not get bond - the murder of Kali and her unborn child. She goes on to mention his wife and child, who previously resided here are now deceased (the only reference to little Zeke thus far in the hearing). This once again gets what appears to be an emotional response from Best.

In what may be the most bizarre part of the hearing Best, as hearing concludes, flashes the devil's horns with his fingers (like you might at a metal concert) and appears to be speaking but he is muted so I cannot tell what he may have been saying.

MOO, there was no murder charge for little Zeke because it was not immediately apparent what caused his death. I think if they can determine that it was an act of murder more charges may follow. If the baby died through neglect (exposure to elements, lack of water, something like that we may see lesser charges as relates to him. But I do think we will see some sort of additional charges.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back