Idea

Honey boo boos not a pageant kid. They didn't do pageants until mama June wanted to try to get on tv. She is obsessed with TLC. She wanted to be on the extreme coupon show, but TLC wanted her on toddlers and tiaras instead, so now they do pageants. I doubt very much they will go to pageants at all once the TLC gravy train is finished with them.

Hey there, pageantmom.

I was the one who brought up Honey Boo Boo but she really wasn't the topic of my post (#57, above). There was a bigger point I was trying to make and Honey Boo Boo was just an afterthought (added for 'snarkism').

Don't need to worry about Honey BooBoo. NO pageant titles are in her future. Heredity is your destiny. She will be Mama June. I happen to like Mama June- but realistically I don't see"Miss America" in Alana's future. I hope they invest her reality show earnings wisely.

As far as JB and this photo, it is an adorable shot. Nothing sexual/sensual or inappropriate. Like or hate the rope, I read NOTHING into its presence other than it being used as a prop for a country photo.

This is a far cry from what I understand pageant judges (especially the glitz ones) are looking for. They WANT to see sexual/sensual little girls. They want the come-hither looks and showgirl outfits, and so moms will strive to see that their little girls give them what they think will win the crowns for them.

I don't think it's that they want to see girls be sexual. Rather, I think it's a misguided idea about what is "cute".
Parents and judges seem to think it is cute when a child acts adult- when the little girls want to be Marilyn Monroe for a routine, everyone thinks it's adorable to see the little girl trying to be Marilyn. (I'm just using Marilyn as an example, it's readily in my mind because my daughter wanted to do a Marilyn routine after visiting her teenage cousin who is into Marilyn, and I said no, but I'm sure other pageant moms would have thought it was cute.)

And it isn't just pageants.
I've noticed this more in the south, and also more amongst...people in lower socioeconomic classes.. I'm sorry if that sounds bad, but that's honestly what I've noticed, these groups of people seem to think it is cute when a child acts older...not pageants but real life.
Like, a 5 year old boy says something rude and sexist that he heard from older guys, like announcing to his mother, "woman, get me my dinner" and everyone just laughs their heads off.
A little girl says "honey, he's a keeper" because she's heard it from her grandma, she had no idea what it means, but everyone smiles, charmed.
It's more obvious in pageants because it involves costumes and makeup. But, it happens in real life too, and certain people seem to think it's "cute".

One thing that bothers me (amongst many) regarding kids doing pageants is this: the cute look of a kid doing a pageant is a *FAR* cry from what the judges are looking for in a young woman in a big-name pagaent. It's the transition that worries me---and that a child may feel very personally ugly as they attempt to win as much as they did but entering into more young adult pageants.

As these pageant kids get older, I fear that they may not grow into what pageants progress to; a much more competitive venue. At the young adult level, pageants become highly competitive. Many of the contestants have had mulitple cosmetic surgeries, starting in their early teens. True talent (for the talent portion) is highly regarded as well as a sleek, statuesque, perfect figure with long legs. One must develop a "charity" or voice for a special cause. Ones personality needs to be coached so that it is always polite and politically correct. Perfect posture, perfect pitch to the speaking voice, and the perfect gowns and swimsuits are a must. And a biggie: there can be no unfortunate social mishaps recorded for posterity on social media.

Plain ole' cute and nice won't cut it at the level of a young adult. The bar is raised much, much higher. If a young kid is used to winning but doesn't "age" into a stunning beauty, what becomes of them?

Do I think that JBR could've pulled it off? Perhaps.

So how will these young tot pageant winners make (or not make) a graceful transition?

You listening, Honey Boo-Boo?

:facepalm:

moo (based on observations/experience)

I'm sure JB could've done it. And if she didn't want to, well, Patsy and Nedra probably would've made her do it. :/

As for other girls, I have known a LOT of girls that were absolutely adorable when little and as they aged they got heavier or more awkward or whatever and stopped doing pageants.

I never heard about any stress or upset from the girls themselves about this...not that there wasn't any, but maybe I just wasn't privy to it.

I mean it wasn't like, "well, now you're not pretty enough, so I guess we will have to quit"...it was kind of like..gradually they'd attend less and less, but it didn't seem like that was the only reason. They'd also be more involved in other activities.

There are a lot of babies and preschoolers in pageants, but it drops off a bit once kids reach school age because they start joining other activities.

Then, there is another big drop off (an even bigger one) around 6th-9th grades as girls start middle school or high school and want to do more things on their weekends..like sports, games, sleepovers, parties at friends houses etc.
Some girls stay on the glitz circuit as teens and young adults but not nearly as many.
Either they've stopped to do normal teen stuff, or, they stopped the glitz circuit because they want to do "big girl pageants" (miss america's outstanding teen, miss teen usa, nam, etc)

I wouldn't say there aren't bigger girls doing the teen pageants though. I know plenty of larger girls and they all do pretty well at pageants. Im sure they'd win more if they were thinner, but it is what it is.
They may not always win the big titles, but they still have their own reasons to be there.
If they have a performing talent they can still win talent scholarships.
If they are strong in interview and speaking they will do VERY well because speaking well actually makes up for a LOT in pageants.
If they do a lot of volunteer services they will get scholarships too.

Pageantmom,

It's refreshing to see someone stand up for the true pageant industry and tell the truth even if I'm a guilty party to some of the foolishness. Speaking particularly of T&T, the little girl on the season premiere this past summer is my model and client. I made two of the outfits she wore at the pageant that was seen on the show as well as all the crazy media circus that ensued afterward. Her mom is one of my close friends and we knew going into it that they were going to edit and splice to make things more dramatic. For me, it was free advertising. I miss being in Texas. I have yet to attend any pageants in Kansas or Missouri to get the feel of the circuit here.

My opinion is, I agree with pretty much everything you have said. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One thing that bothers me (amongst many) regarding kids doing pageants is this: the cute look of a kid doing a pageant is a *FAR* cry from what the judges are looking for in a young woman in a big-name pagaent. It's the transition that worries me---and that a child may feel very personally ugly as they attempt to win as much as they did but entering into more young adult pageants.

As these pageant kids get older, I fear that they may not grow into what pageants progress to; a much more competitive venue. At the young adult level, pageants become highly competitive. Many of the contestants have had mulitple cosmetic surgeries, starting in their early teens. True talent (for the talent portion) is highly regarded as well as a sleek, statuesque, perfect figure with long legs. One must develop a "charity" or voice for a special cause. Ones personality needs to be coached so that it is always polite and politically correct. Perfect posture, perfect pitch to the speaking voice, and the perfect gowns and swimsuits are a must. And a biggie: there can be no unfortunate social mishaps recorded for posterity on social media.

Plain ole' cute and nice won't cut it at the level of a young adult. The bar is raised much, much higher. If a young kid is used to winning but doesn't "age" into a stunning beauty, what becomes of them?

Do I think that JBR could've pulled it off? Perhaps.

So how will these young tot pageant winners make (or not make) a graceful transition?

You listening, Honey Boo-Boo?

:facepalm:

moo (based on observations/experience)

I don't think it's about what "child beauty queens" will look like as young women, but about how they perceive themselves. They can grow up to be pretty and gorgeous, but that doesn't mean they will be happy with their appearance. They might always feel that they aren't pretty enough. Or worried that people only like them for their looks.

I always get a chill when I think of Nedra's comment when asked what she and Patsy would do if JB wanted to stop doing pageants. She said "We will say - JonBenet, you WILL do it".

That being said, and it is MOO, but there is nothing cute about dressing a LITTLE GIRL in a cone bra or like a tragic movie star who had affairs with a president and his brother and ended up dead at 36, an "apparent" suicide.

I do feel bad for these little girls when they grow up and it isn't about their looks or how cute they are anymore, when all they have are what is left of their parents' delusions about their potential for world-wide fame.
I have not seen ONE former JonBenet Ramsey, "famous" for being found sexually assaulted and murdered in her own home, likely by a family member.

I don't think it's about what "child beauty queens" will look like as young women, but about how they perceive themselves. They can grow up to be pretty and gorgeous, but that doesn't mean they will be happy with their appearance. They might always feel that they aren't pretty enough. Or worried that people only like them for their looks.

BBM: That was really my point----how does a "cute-ish" young girl who competes in small pageants feel when they don't cut it as they age into the bigger pageants?
I'm sure it hurts their egos. I doubt if there's a lot of research info on it.

To compete in the young adult big (scholarship) pageants, one needs to be stunning, be well-rehearsed in a variety of Q & A, and be decent at a talent.

I feel bad for those who do not gracefully make the transition from young tot pageant winner into attempting to compete at the "pro" level as an adult.

I always get a chill when I think of Nedra's comment when asked what she and Patsy would do if JB wanted to stop doing pageants. She said "We will say - JonBenet, you WILL do it".

That being said, and it is MOO, but there is nothing cute about dressing a LITTLE GIRL in a cone bra or like a tragic movie star who had affairs with a president and his brother and ended up dead at 36, an "apparent" suicide.

I do feel bad for these little girls when they grow up and it isn't about their looks or how cute they are anymore, when all they have are what is left of their parents' delusions about their potential for world-wide fame.
I have not seen ONE former JonBenet Ramsey, "famous" for being found sexually assaulted and murdered in her own home, likely by a family member.

ITA, DeeDee.

Bingo.

BBM. So much for her at least having had a choice.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back