Possible Victim: Valerie Mack, 24, Manorville Jane Doe #6, missing 2000, found Nov 2000 & Gilgo Beach Apr 2011

Valerie's sister was recently interviewed for this article: Long Island serial murders: Families of victims renew calls for justice in decade-old cold case

"
'I figured she was gone all these years, but not in the way that they described,' Mack’s adoptive sister, Angela, said in an interview with Fox News. 'It's just really hard to think that somebody could do that to her,' she said.

How Mack ended up on Long Island – some 180 miles from her hometown – is a mystery to her family. 'Nobody, nobody could understand how she got to New York because any time she would disappear, she went to Philadelphia,' she said. 'I really don't think she went to New York willingly at all.'

Mack had begun to turn her life around shortly before her disappearance, according to her family. 'She was working at a dollar store chain, seeing Benjamin again, and she wasn’t doing any drugs,' said her sister, who remains hopeful an arrest will be made someday.

'I know there are cases solved 40, 50 years later. So I guess I can just hope eventually, one day, hopefully there will be justice,' Mack said. 'I just really would like to find out who did it. I just want to see their face, to see who could mutilate my sister's body. And like, to find out a reason.'
"

Attachments

• valerie and sister.jpg
    valerie and sister.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
I’m so glad to hear Valerie’s family talk about her and who she was rather than her just being a mugshot.

But I’m so sad she was identified because Benjamin was in jail. That’s heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how traumatised he must have been as a child to not know where his mommy was and why she wasn’t there. Wondering if she’d committed suicide because he wasn’t enough to stay alive for. Or worse.

Sorry, I’m really emotional about this. My Dad died ten days ago. I’m an adult, I can cope, it was peaceful, it was at home, I knew what happened. But I have 3 boys, 2 are the age Benjamin was when that b*****d took his mother away and I can’t imagine what that would do to a little boy.

I’d like to find the ba****d who did that to Valerie and tie him to horses to rip him limb from limb.

If there is anyone out there who knows Benjamin, tell him when he gets out turning his life around is the best revenge he can get on that b*****d. Show him he’s better than him.

Valerie sounds lovely and was beautiful. Much love to her family. Xx

Last edited:
I’m so glad to hear Valerie’s family talk about her and who she was rather than her just being a mugshot.

But I’m so sad she was identified because Benjamin was in jail. That’s heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how traumatised he must have been as a child to not know where his mommy was and why she wasn’t there. Wondering if she’d committed suicide because he wasn’t enough to stay alive for. Or worse.

Sorry, I’m really emotional about this. My Dad died ten days ago. I’m an adult, I can cope, it was peaceful, it was at home, I knew what happened. But I have 3 boys, 2 are the age Benjamin was when that b*****d took his mother away and I can’t imagine what that would do to a little boy.

I’d like to find the ba****d who did that to Valerie and tie him to horses to rip him limb from limb.

If there is anyone out there who knows Benjamin, tell him when he gets out turning his life around is the best revenge he can get on that b*****d. Show him he’s better than him.

Valerie sounds lovely and was beautiful. Much love to her family. Xx

I wish I had the right words to say, but I don't--all I can say is that I understand, and I hope you're ok.

I hope none of the kids take any blame on themselves, and despite how awful this is, and along the lines you said--I hope they live the best, vibrant lives possible. Their moms were loved, and still are, as well as the families--we're all still looking for justice, and hope it comes soon.

One of the worst things about Valerie is that she was last seen in Spring/Summer 2000. The facial reconstruction gave her a very distinctive damaged and crooked nose which had been broken then healed. None of the photos of Valerie or descriptions of her before she went missing mention this.

Her body was found November the 19th 2000 and she had only been dead for 1 week.

That *advertiser censored* must have held her and tortured her for months. Long enough for her nose to be broken & heal. And it would obviously heal so crookedly as it had no medical intervention.

One of the worst things about Valerie is that she was last seen in Spring/Summer 2000. The facial reconstruction gave her a very distinctive damaged and crooked nose which had been broken then healed. None of the photos of Valerie or descriptions of her before she went missing mention this.

Her body was found November the 19th 2000 and she had only been dead for 1 week.

That *advertiser censored* must have held her and tortured her for months. Long enough for her nose to be broken & heal. And it would obviously heal so crookedly as it had no medical intervention.

Interesting theory & makes sense that he might be keeping these girls for some time doing whatever. He definitely would need a place to put these girls where their screams can not be heard when tortured from the outside world.

Interesting theory & makes sense that he might be keeping these girls for some time doing whatever. He definitely would need a place to put these girls where their screams can not be heard when tortured from the outside world.
The oak beach association had the keys to the vacant homes there so plenty of opportunity hide whatever they wanted. After reading the depositions all eyes are on oak beach community for me. All speculation but there stories do not add up it sure doesn't take rocket science or a professional investigator to see that.

The family never mentioned a broken nose? I don't think that means it wasn't broken in the past. I think it's a leap to think the killer had her for months because the family did not mention a broken nose.
It's possible they did not know.

He owned many empty houses in CT

The family never mentioned a broken nose? I don't think that means it wasn't broken in the past. I think it's a leap to think the killer had her for months because the family did not mention a broken nose.
It's possible they did not know.

Do you remember the pics and the descriptions? I’ve added the pic where it’s most prominent. A huge deal was made of that feature. It’s not present in any of her mugshots (which were taken fairly close to her disappearance) and you’d expect a woman with such a prominent feature whose family were still reasonably local to be identified PDQ.

Attachments

• 559A7290-0F10-4B19-A9EF-A1FC91D625E3.jpeg
    559A7290-0F10-4B19-A9EF-A1FC91D625E3.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 22
According to this report, which is news to me, they've determined VM had "only briefly come to Long Island for sex work" and that "It wasn't a prolonged trip to Long Island, it was certainly specifically for that visit," says Hart.

Gilgo Unsolved Part 3: What comes next?

She is cagey in this interview because they are witholding certain info for investigative purposes and she has to constantly think about what is public info or not.

Mack was last seen in Port Republic, but is that where she was picked up?

There's a gap here, as Mack's family last saw her in Port Republic in the "spring or summer" of 2000.

In other words, there is no solid public info about where she was when LISK approached her.

She went to Long Island for this specific "trip".

It's difficult to discern what she means by this. Her answer makes it seems like Valerie travelled there by herself.

However, this was 2000 and Valerie was a streetwalker, which means that LISK would have had to approach her in public. He couldn't check out an Internet profile, call her and then ask her to come to LI.

Approaching her in person and saying "Hey, travel to LI and I'll see you there" also doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Seems like the SCPD know a lot more than what they're saying.

I guess we won't know anything specific unless they decide to release it.

If they're keeping it under wraps, it might suggest that there is a lead there somewhere. That or they are still hoping that there is.

Approaching her in person and saying "Hey, travel to LI and I'll see you there" also doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It would make sense if he didn't want to shop locally while at the same time wanting to do his business at a place where he knew his prolonged fantasies could be played out. In this scenario though, as you point out, previous contact would've had to have occurred. We don't know how she got there but apparently others knew of the trip.

So, we don't know if she had worked LI previously, it's possible she had but what are the odds of making what sounds like a brief, one off trip to LI for SW and get killed by a serial killer?

Assuming LI wasn't something she would do on the regular, and we do know some of these girls will travel the circuit, staying a limited time in one city and then moving on before it gets too hot, but what also are the odds of doing a one off far from home, getting killed by a serial killer, and somebody other than the killer himself somehow setting the whole thing into motion?

Regardless, it sounds like they've talked to someone since her identity was revealed who's info they've deemed credible enough to make significant determinations. Which is progress I guess.

Thanks for chiming in.

I recall reading that VM's family does not believe she willingly went to LI. And just so coincidentally, there's discussion of Peach Doe being from Connecticut, which is a considerable drive from Hempstead much like Philly is to LI. Is it possible that the LISK, assuming all the cases are indeed connected, originally cut to the chase and kidnapped victims in the 90s-early 2000s rather than soliciting and talking to them for a bit like how he did in the late 2000s-early 2010s?

I recall reading that VM's family does not believe she willingly went to LI. And just so coincidentally, there's discussion of Peach Doe being from Connecticut, which is a considerable drive from Hempstead much like Philly is to LI. Is it possible that the LISK, assuming all the cases are indeed connected, originally cut to the chase and kidnapped victims in the 90s-early 2000s rather than soliciting and talking to them for a bit like how he did in the late 2000s-early 2010s?
I don't think he forced them into the vehicle. That kind of behavior attracts too much attention.

He probably offered enough money to convince them to accept.

We know that he offered Amber 1.5K, which is a huge amount for someone with a drug addiction.

It would make sense if he didn't want to shop locally while at the same time wanting to do his business at a place where he knew his prolonged fantasies could be played out. In this scenario though, as you point out, previous contact would've had to have occurred. We don't know how she got there but apparently others knew of the trip.

So, we don't know if she had worked LI previously, it's possible she had but what are the odds of making what sounds like a brief, one off trip to LI for SW and get killed by a serial killer?

Assuming LI wasn't something she would do on the regular, and we do know some of these girls will travel the circuit, staying a limited time in one city and then moving on before it gets too hot, but what also are the odds of doing a one off far from home, getting killed by a serial killer, and somebody other than the killer himself somehow setting the whole thing into motion?

Regardless, it sounds like they've talked to someone since her identity was revealed who's info they've deemed credible enough to make significant determinations. Which is progress I guess.

Thanks for chiming in.

I thought about this a bit more and I think she might be phrasing it "strangely" in order to protect certain information.

She's saying that Mack "made a trip" to LI because saying otherwise makes it obvious that they know she was picked up and driven there. And if they know that, then they know where she was at the time...

I also think that approaching a streetwalker and asking her to travel to LI by herself is risky. It's abnormal behavior that would stand out and possibly raise suspicions. So much so that he'd be running the risk of Mack telling someone about him, his vehicle, etc.

He could ask her to keep it a secret, but he could never trust her to stay true to her word.

All in all, if I were him, there's no way I'd do it that way.

Saying she took a trip to LI is technically correct. But I don't think it means what it sounds like. I think there's info there that they want to keep close to their chest.

I think it's likely that Mack was picked up and driven to LI, just like Jessica Taylor and Maureen were.

I also think there's a good possibility that Mack made her way to Manhattan.

Taylor, Maureen and Melissa were all working in that area when they went missing.

It was a perfect hunting ground for a killer who was based on LI.

Last edited:
I thought about this a bit more and I think she might be phrasing it "strangely" in order to protect certain information.

She's saying that Mack "made a trip" to LI because saying otherwise makes it obvious that they know she was picked up and driven there. And if they know that, then they know where she was at the time...

I also think that approaching a streetwalker and asking her to travel to LI by herself is risky. It's abnormal behavior that would stand out and possibly raise suspicions. So much so that he'd be running the risk of Mack telling someone about him, his vehicle, etc.

He could ask her to keep it a secret, but he could never trust her to stay true to her word.

All in all, if I were him, there's no way I'd do it that way.

Saying she took a trip to LI is technically correct. But I don't think it means what it sounds like. I think there's info there that they want to keep close to their chest.

I think it's likely that Mack was picked up and driven to LI, just like Jessica Taylor and Maureen were.

I also think there's a good possibility that Mack made her way to Manhattan.

Taylor, Maureen and Melissa were all working in that area when they went missing.

It was a perfect hunting ground for a killer who was based on LI.
Yeah, with her wording there, I think multiple scenarios as to how she got there remain viable. She describes it as a brief trip for a specific purpose, but we don't actually know if the trip was made willingly, even if she makes it sound like it was. She also interestingly balked on the question regarding philly's possible linkage to the case, which leaves the impression that there was. Although as sly as she is this could be a deliberate misdirection.

If he did talk her into taking the trip, I don't think he would've approached her out of the blue. It's more likely the proposition would've occurred after a bit of trust was built, perhaps after a session and an exchange of money and possibly other trappings. The decision to follow through would only come when the risks were reasonably mitigated in his mind.

Manhattan would've been my first guess if not for this interview, maybe it's still a possibility. I don't know why they would withhold this if they had reason to believe that's where she was working. I personally can't shake the thought that he might've made contact with her in atlantic city.

Not to get too far off in the weeds but here's what's weird. 3 years after Valerie you have Jessica and a known association to a killer. Peaches from 3 years prior to Valerie is thought to be associated but atlantic city from 3 years after Jessica is not.

A new interview with Valerie's adoptive family was published today.

Valerie left home again in October 2000, to visit her son and sister in Wildwood, the Macks said.

“It was at that point that I heard of Valerie going to New York — I never heard of her mention New York at any time [previously],” remembered JoAnn Mack. “When she left that day from her sister’s house, she said she was going to New York, she was with a guy.”

<modsnip - rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
A new interview with Valerie's adoptive family was published today.

Someone in the Reddit thread about this news story also stated that Valerie's half-sister said she was headed to NYC.
That was quite an emotional read. Especially the part with the ring.

I had to read that article with an anti paywall website, but it didn't give me the video. Does anyone have it?
“When she left that day from her sister’s house, she said she was going to New York, she was with a guy.”
They HAVE to find out who it was. This has gone on for far too long.

That was quite an emotional read. Especially the part with the ring.

I had to read that article with an anti paywall website, but it didn't give me the video. Does anyone have it?

They HAVE to find out who it was. This has gone on for far too long.
They might have already spoken with him. Bear in mind that they're most likely keeping a lot of details close to their chest. We didn't find out about the belt for 10 years. The police said that Valerie took a "trip" to Long Island. The family haven't said anything about such a trip, which means that they probably got that info from someone else.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303
Back