"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit" Smelling the decomp cans

Idk if this has already been said, but I don't see why they can't just find a reason to open the can to pull out what's inside and then the smell will over take the whole room anyway if it's still there. If the smell is no longer there, then nothing was hurt by anything, because the can is not being passed around, and the juror's might just think it's not a strong enough smell after 3 years to make it to where they are sitting.

That would make the most sense. Otherwise the risk is there that it either won't smell and the whole case is destroyed, or that one inexperienced jury is able to dismiss the smell in their mind as trash. Although, if it they know for certain that the odor hasn't degraded over time, which I doubt is true, then it would be incredible powerful evidence for the jury. A Jury is supposed to use all their senses if it will help to render the proper decision. As witnesses have expressed, there is no mistaking the smell of decomposition. Having smelled it myself several times I have no problem agreeing with that testimony.

I feel that this would be asking to much of the jury, I believe the expert testimonies should be enough along with the others that have stated that it smelled like a dead body had been in vehicle.

I have this wild idea that it wouldn't be allowed because it would make the dogs "witnesses" and you can't exactly cross-examine them.

Great idea. Only one thing concerns me, what if the dog does NOT alert on the can? I think that is so risky. Unless the state tries this experiment before they do it in front of the jury. This is what got OJ off. I think simple is better in this case and just take the word of everyone else who smelt the cans. Going for the slam dunk instead of the layup here could end up losing the game.

I disagree.

What go OJ off, was the footage showing how the investigators treated the crime scene. Folks might not remember, but back in the 'day', local LE thought their shat didn't stink and could do as they pleased. They were not educated in the fact that they were destroying evidence, nor did they care. Their word was gold, and that was that. Alot of innocent folks were sent to jail.

From A to Z, the evidence was shat. The OJ case exposed it, and showed the shame of it. It was a wake up call to every LE out there. Time to clean up and learn how to do this right.

So yes, "If the Glove doesn't fit", sounded great. But it was more then that. It did point to the possibility that the glove might have been planted. BUT by it's self, it didn't mean a thing. Combine with all the rest, the LE screwed up big time.

We have came along way since then. Labs make double sure that nothing is contaminated. The CSI at the scene does the same thing.

At this point, there is nothing in this case that makes the LE look like they are trying to frame ICA. Which was the case with OJ. There isn't contaminated evidence like OJ, the CSI now have plenty of save guards in place and the local investigators take it seriously as well. So there isn't a bunch of 'supporting' ideas for this.

And I think that is what makes the difference. It just looks like new science, that all ready supports what the SA is stating in trial. People reporting it SMELLS like death. And Dogs hitting on the car, and there IS a dead body that had to be transported some how. IT could be argued that the state is using the Casey case to make it easy to get folks use to this new science. What it's trying to prove, the SA will keep proving the same point by other means. That there was a dead body in that car at some point.

If I was on the jury, I'd want to sniff the can o' stank.
Just to get an idea of how bad it really was.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does having the jury smell the cans basically make them witnesses in the case?

IMO I think few if any would really feel the need to smell it. There is so much to say that it is decomp that the only logical conclusion is that it is in fact decomp.

Nikki 01,
Yes exactly!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does having the jury smell the cans basically make them witnesses in the case?

I don't see how it makes them witnesses as others have said. I see it as evidence for them to observe.

:waitasec: I am a bit confused, I thought that Dr.Kobolinsky? (sp) was at one time on the defense team? He had stayed away from the media up until recently. He now is saying in his own way that Dr.Vass is the only one that can back up this new science. He questions why there are no other labs/scientist that don't have anything to back up what Dr.Vass has testified to and why it has not been used in court. He also said any lay person can provide what Dr.Vass has to say? Did I understand that right?

Dr.K also says that he feels it's very unusual that there was no DNA or several compounds of bodies with decomposition. Jane claims he is the big expert..

I am begining to think that JVM is adovacting for Baez :cow: Why is it that most of her guest always question what the prosecution has as evidence? Is it me? :waitasec:

If I was on the jury, I'd want to sniff the can o' stank.
Just to get an idea of how bad it really was.

I agree with you on this, I don't know that as a juror with little to no knowledge about the case prior to the trial that I could convict a person to LWOP or Death without having the opportunity to examine all evidence.

I can't see any of the juror really wanting to smell the can. How many people really know what "death" smells like? I'm sure it smells nothing like rotting pizza.

I never wanted to know until this case.
I live in the country, long narrow dirt roads, and sometimes very horrific smells that peek my curiosity. Most of the time, I think the smells come from swamps that someone has set fire to, or rotten vegetables that have been picked and left in a pile (large ones) because they were not fit to sale.

I know it sounds weird, but I would like to know, just because I hate the thought of any human rotting outdoors and no one know they are there because although they smell something, they don't put the two together.

:waitasec: I am a bit confused, I thought that Dr.Kobolinsky? (sp) was at one time on the defense team? He had stayed away from the media up until recently. He now is saying in his own way that Dr.Vass is the only one that can back up this new science. He questions why there are no other labs/scientist that don't have anything to back up what Dr.Vass has testified to and why it has not been used in court. He also said any lay person can provide what Dr.Vass has to say? Did I understand that right?

Dr.K also says that he feels it's very unusual that there was no DNA or several compounds of bodies with decomposition. Jane claims he is the big expert..

I am begining to think that JVM is adovacting for Baez :cow: Why is it that most of her guest always question what the prosecution has as evidence? Is it me? :waitasec:

IMO Kobilinsky and LKB are on a media tour to represent the Defense and spin with BS.

They are not tainting the Jury pool since they are sequestered so they are either doing it for self-promotion to cash in on Caylee or to get in via backdoor through Jury family contact discussing something.

Oh, was the Dr.K on JVM once a member of the Defense Team? It would figure because he sure is bad mouthing the incredible Dr. Vass. Any lay person would not be able to provide the knowledge Dr. Vass did. How can he say that. I'm totally confident in everything Dr. Vass has to say.

It seems wrong to make jurors smell the cans. JB is pushing for that by his confusion making. It may be necessary to compare the can with a rotting potato. It's wild when so many people have confirmed the car trunk smelled like a dead body.

I was surised about the rotting potato. I assumed it would smell like the worst thing you could imagine, not a rotting potato:twocents:
I am tempted to do the potato in the cupboard thing because I dont get that. but...one thing Im sure I dont ever want to have to smell a dead body. These Scientists who do must be strong.
(we had a rat die out in garage and that awful smell was enough for me)

LOL slightly related--we let a butternut squash go bad on our counter these last weeks when it suddenly turned to summer... had to scoop it off the counter and garbage-dispose it, then wipe up small drips across kitchen from counter to sink. 'Twas an odor most foul. I was literally gagging the whole time.

The above meant to lay foundation for the following observation:

If I were a juror, and someone opened a stinky can for me in a courtroom where I felt that all eyes were upon me, no matter whether that can contained butternut squash stink or something more nefarious, I don't know that I'd be in a position to judge what the contents of that can had been.

BUT...

If I am a juror, and I've sat through several weeks of testimony, and these little tin cans have been paraded back and forth in front of me many times, and many witnesses have talked about what smell is contained in said little tin cans, and the defense has made it clear via actions and objections that they DO NOT LIKE whatever is in those little tin cans....

Then as a juror, one of the first things I might do when I got into that deliberation room would be to ask the judge if we could smell the cans. And if he said no we couldn't, then that might make me think that whatever is in those cans isn't rotted butternut squash, but something far, far worse.

Sometimes what we don't know is more evocative than what we do know, IYKWIM.
:)cow:)

Didn't the Anthony family use non-chlorine pool cleaners? I think that was why DS once was trying to use the pool at Tony's, and Caylee little bathing suit, to form the chloroform in the trunk. That was a preposterous idea, IMO.

Nope, it's not you and, now you know why I quit watching her. :maddening:

No, I do not think it would be necessary for the jury to smell the decomp to come to a decision on guilt or innocence in this case.

However...I wouldn't feel bad if ICA (got life...) and was ordered to live in a glass cell which pumped in the "eau de decomp" as an additional punishment for the rest of her waste of a life!:yuck:

I think that the 911 call of CA stating that it "smelled like a dead body in the da^n car", GA stating it smelled like a dead body, SB stating he smelled decomp and had years of experience smelling both garbage and decomp, YM saying it smelled like decomp, and Dr. AV stating he smelled decomp should be enough proof for the jury to know that the trunk of that car smelled like decomp. Allowing them to smell the cans could backfire. You could get one "stealth" juror who decides that his feet smell worse than that can. IMO, just stick to the testimony. There is enough of it. Moo.

They are talking about it potentially 'hurting' the prosecution if this Vass testimony persuades the jury that the child died accidentally by chloroform poisoning.

That makes me laugh, as sad and horrific as it is. I mean, seriously, do they think the jury will be sympathetic if they believe she 'accidentally' chloroformed her child to death? AFAIK, that is still LWOP. Sounds good to me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back