If you are born pretty, someone will try to take you

Discussion in 'General Information & Discussion' started by GigTu, Feb 28, 2015.

1. GigTu

GigTu ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ

That's sure what it seems like for all these young missing people. It's heart wrenching. Senseless.

I just needed to say that somewhere.

2. Loading...

3. Hiandmighty

Hiandmighty Active Member

When i was about 5/6 my mother took me shopping. It was one of her marathon shopping sessions (or at least it felt like it) with my aunt and cousin when I sort of wandered off. I was by the escalator when this short guy wearing jeans and a tshirt told me to come with him up the escalator. He started going up and was coaxing me to come with up with waving his hand like "come on"... I nearly went. (You know as a child and an adult was telling you to do something)

I was really thinking about taking that step on the escalator when my cousin came and said "there you are... We have been looking for you!"

I don't think I have ever told that story before.

4. hamon

hamon New Member

It's amazing that so many people get kidnapped, but since the human population is so large, the chances of me witnessing a kidnapping nearby is quite low and thereby hard to prevent.

5. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

I don't think it has anything with being pretty. Just types for evil perps.

6. Nova

Nova Active Member

It is my understanding that relatively few children are kidnapped by strangers. Most such events are perpetrated by the noncustodial parent. I don't have a link right now, however, so feel free to ignore this post.

I feel your anxiety. (I have a granddaughter who is "model" pretty.)

7. teeandcee

teeandcee New Member

I know what the OP means, but I think most stranger abductions are a matter of opportunity. These abominations are constantly on the hunt and ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Hiandmighty, wow!!

8. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

Anecdotally, I think they are drawn to innocence and vulnerability. Also victims have something 'special' about them; a charisma of sorts which makes them appear beautiful (we all are in our different ways). It's almost as if they are feeding on others' 'life forces'. Think about it: predators always prey on those that stand out from the herd/crowd (ie, their 'victims' are different). I put it down to an overactive primitive brain. A dangerous mix when in the same container as high intelligence. Ooo...I just scared myself *runs away screaming*

Glad to hear you had an escape from one of them, HiandMighty. Thank The Lord for your cousin. I would be interested to know if she had a strange feeling you were in danger before she found and rescued you. My money's on she did! A blessing indeed.

9. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Active Member

I think it's about opportunity and wrong place, wrong time when it comes to women and girls who are abducted. A little girl who walks to school every day and plays unsupervised around her neighborhood is more likely to be abducted than a little girl who gets a ride to school from her parent and is always in extracuricular supervised activities. I also think the media hyperfocuses on certain victims, and people get attached to them, making it look like only beautiful women get abducted. I feel like this is a pretty messed up barometer for women and girls to measure their attractiveness against.

10. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Active Member

I don't know....Look at the Hannah Graham case. Hannah was alone, intoxicated, and friendly. I think that explains why she was targeted by JM, and not because there was something "special" about her. How many other college girls that night were by themselves? That's why Hannah stood out IMO.

11. ArianeEmory

ArianeEmory I know the pieces fit

So damned much this. Natalee Holloway/Caylee Anthony syndrome.

I'm sure model-attractive women get a lot of unwanted attention and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. But I don't think they are statistically any more likely to be abducted.

The only serial killer I can think of who REALLY targeted only "pretty white girls" was Bundy.

12. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

The something 'special' was that she was friendly. The tragic circumstances were she was intoxicated and alone at night. She stood out from the crowd for all the wrong reasons - she was vulnerable. I agree her particular place in time and space were also at play (and so were his). I am not victim-blaming-there's just sonething predatory about these types of perpetrators and they do single prople out. In self defense we are told 'Become invisible when vulnerable.' Try it.

13. Ronald12

Ronald12 New Member

I doubt beauty has to do with abduction of kids. Predators prey on any easy targets. Freedom to children should come with security. Whenever a child is in public place, adult supervision is a must.