If you think Poker Playing Dogs are tacky

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

How about....?

An advertisement depicting Jesus and the Apostles gambling at the Last Supper in an ad by Irish bookmaker Paddy Power September 30, 2005.

Paddy Power on Friday was fending off the wrath of Christians in overwhelmingly Roman Catholic Ireland where the billboard posters, adapting Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting of the event to show Jesus with a stack of poker chips, Judas with 30 pieces of silver and other apostles clutching hands of cards, are on display.

Father Micheal MacGreil, Jesuit priest at St Francis Xavier's Church in central Dublin, branded the advert "grossly inappropriate and vulgar."

"It's a tongue-in-cheek situation -- people aren't supposed to take it as seriously as some people seem to be," Power said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoug

2. Loading...

3. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

I don't know, I don't like the idea, but I won't make a big stink over it.

4. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

Well, it's in better taste than the one Michael Jackson commissioned with himself as Jesus! I was offended, and I am an atheist!

5. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Lab Rat Catacomb Dweller

So are you telling me that if you believed in God (which you say that you don't), that he certainly wouldn't be a PERVERT?!?!?!
    It's sad when celebs are that off the wall and offensive, worse when they don't know that they are being that way.

6. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Lab Rat Catacomb Dweller

So are you telling me that if you believed in God (which you say that you don't), that he certainly wouldn't be a PERVERT?!?!?!
    It's sad when celebs are that off the wall and offensive, worse when they don't know that they are being "that way".