IL - 75 people shot, 12 fatally, in Chicago over the weekend

cybervampira

Reaction score
66 shot, 12 fatally, in Chicago weekend shootings

At least 75 people were shot in one of the most violent weekends of the year in Chicago, spurred by a 7-hour period early Sunday morning when 41 people were shot.

Between 3 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday morning, 12 people were killed and 63 were wounded, according to Tribune data. Their ages spanned from 11 to 62 years old, and most of those shot were attacked on the South and West sides.

As of Friday, at least 1,700 people have been shot in the city this year, fewer than the last two years at this time when violence hit record levels in the city but well above other recent years. There have been at least 300 homicides, according to Tribune data.
upload_2018-8-6_20-4-59.jpeg
Six of the shootings this weekend injured four or more people in a single attack, racking up 31 victims early Sunday.

The staggering numbers attracted national media attention and resulted in a news conference Sunday morning during which Chicago police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller blamed the violence on gang members who shoot into summer crowds at night.

'State Of Emergency In Our City': 12 Dead, 54 Wounded In Weekend Shootings; 'It's Absolutely Outrageous'

75 people shot, 12 fatally, in Chicago over the weekend

'The worst I’ve ever seen it': 11 shot dead, 63 more wounded in Chicago over the weekend

I don't live in Chicago but I've been listening to their police scanner for about 4 years now. They don't use the 10 codes which makes it easier to follow but they do say, "shot in the back of the head, not breathing." I was semi listening to it last night while falling asleep. (Broadcastify is an app which I highly recommend.) I was vaguely aware that last night had descended into chaos. 2,740 listeners. 700 above the average # at night. I woke up this morning to read about the violence I slept through...safely.
The comment section in the Tribune was always fascinating. Unfortunately, they have disabled that function. Something must be done about this weekly carnage. What? Protests against the violence is a beginning.
But more people need to protest. (From all walks of life). Bring in the feds, the National Guard? I don't know. But it will take a real leader to finally step up to the plate to get things to change.

Bringing in the Feds or the National Guard is a short-term solution at best. Protests against the violence can help, but there should also be protests against police brutality, getting guns off the streets/stricter gun laws, for education funding and fairness, for affordable housing, and for better employment opportunities. The shootings didn't rise out of nowhere - there are complex reasons behind the current level of violence and those should all be addressed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back