IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for brevity

Wait, the furnace exploded ?
Sounds like mom thinks it was an accident.
Why is there a murder charge ?
I was expecting something like gas or lighter fluid to have been poured and a match struck.
I assume (usually a bad idea) that the fire investigation indicated findings of fact resulting in Arson - Five Deaths -Murder.

The 9-year-old was charged with five counts of murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started.

If the juvenile is under 12 years old, police can only hold him or her for six hours, according to Illinois Legal Aid Online. An attorney will be appointed for the child and the verdict and possible sentence would be decided by a judge.
Child, 9, charged with murder, arson in Goodfield fire that killed five

eta: How is intent determined? Intent to start a fire? Intent to murder?

Last edited:
Okay. I lied. I cried. 10/22/18 & 3/28/19

Cumulative effect of all vids.

Perhaps unintended consequences of boy’s actions? He too will pay with his life forevermore. He doesn’t even know it yet - He inked a permanent tattooed black ugly scar upon his heart, mind and soul.

Hitting a baby like that in the 10-22-18 video? So we know what went on in that household.

Hitting a baby like that in the 10-22-18 video? So we know what went on in that household.
Just watched all his videos. Seemed like a sweet enthusiastic kid, back then anyway---what went wrong?

And what is that video with all the wreaths---like memorial for the neighbour---what happened there?

Snipped for brevity

Wait, the furnace exploded ?
Sounds like mom thinks it was an accident.
Why is there a murder charge ?
I was expecting something like gas or lighter fluid to have been poured and a match struck.

I was wondering if I missed something. Did he cause the fire or not alert other people to danger?

Did you watch what the father did to the baby in the 10-22-18 video?
Is that the guy that died in the fire?

yes, that's the stepdad that died in the fire, and the 2 babies with him, on the floor. :(

yes, Gitana, he whacked the baby on the hand, made her cry. ugh.

But after reading the article I just posted, it seems he died a hero. He helped his fiancée out the door, as they were both awake when the fire explosion began, and then he ran back inside to grab the babies, and was a overcome with smoke-dying on the floor with one of. the babies laying next to him. I give him lots of credit for that...

yes, that's the stepdad that died in the fire, and the 2 babies with him, on the floor. :(

yes, Gitana, he whacked the baby on the hand, made her cry. ugh.

But after reading the article I just posted, it seems he died a hero. He helped his fiancée out the door, as they were both awake when the fire explosion began, and then he ran back inside to grab the babies, and was a overcome with smoke-dying on the floor with one of. the babies laying next to him. I give him lots of credit for that...

He hit that baby pretty hard.

Shortly before 11 p.m., Kathryn Murray was in her bedroom, while Daemeon and Ariel were asleep in their beds. Jason Wall was still awake as his fiancee headed to take a bath with Rose.

Just as Katie Alwood was about to step into the tub, she sniffed the air.

“I smelled something funny,” she says.

As a smoke detector went off, she quickly threw on clothes, grabbed Rose’s hand and headed out of the bathroom to investigate. She met Jason at the trailer’s furnace, just outside her grandmother’s room. Smoke was billowing out, with flames shooting out nearby heat registers, she says.

Scared, Rose asked, “Why? Why?”

Holding Rose’s hand, Katie Alwood was about to head to the kids’ beds and grab them up.

BOOM.

An explosion blasted Katie Alwood into darkness. Thrown down and momentarily unconscious, she was revived as Jason Wall helped her to her feet. She says the furnace had exploded, and fire was spreading fast. Sooner than she could think, she was being ushered outside.

“Jason dragged me out,” she says. “I shouldn’t be here today.”

Meanwhile, 9-year-old Kyle had fled the structure. He ran to his grandparents’ trailer next door.

As neighbors rushed over, Katie Alwood was standing in the yard, where she had been left by Jason Wall. Aghast, she stared at the inferno.

“I gotta get my babies! I gotta get my babies!” Katie Alwood yelled.

As her mother ordered her to stay put, they saw Jason Wall duck back into the trailer. They heard him calling to the children.

“Daemeon!”

“Ariel!”

“Rose!

There was an agonizing pause, the only sound the crackling of voracious flames. Then they heard him yell “I’ve got a baby!” — an apparent reference to Rose.

After another pause, they heard a gasp, apparently from Jason Wall.

“We heard him suffocating,” Katie Alwood says. “They all were. And that was it.”

Lori Alwood says, “That was the last we heard or seen him. He’s a hero. He’ll always be my hero.”

Meanwhile, Mike Alwood had pushed through a doorway and into the trailer. But the floor was searingly hot, and the smoke was so thick he could not see his hands. He had to withdraw, choking as he stumbled out.

Luciano: Mom recalls Goodfield inferno that killed five loved ones

Last edited:
The younger two children needed extra attention: Daemeon had autism, and Ariel was deaf in one ear. And Wall considered Kyle to be his son, as well.

“He rarely left those kids,” Lori Alwood says.

Adds Katie Alwood, “They loved me, but Jason was their whole world.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member