IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by TTF14, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mouse Well-Known Member

They'll put a Subway sign above the entrance to the police station. He'll walk right in.

2. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, and Smollett needs to apologize to EVERYONE.

3. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

If GJ issues true bill warrant can be executed tonight.

4. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I think the oddest part is that underneath the title and Jussies picture it says “but feel free to give us one” (meaning an apology)

5. EuTuCroquet?

EuTuCroquet? “What's happening to my special purpose!?”

Might read the column before firing off your opinion about the writer. Just a suggestion. In fact, I think she would largely agree with the point you're making.

6. jggordo

jggordo Well-Known Member

This is the first case that has made me want to check Amazon to see if they carry pom-poms! Jussie deserves EVERYTHING coming his way.

JMO

7. squid

squid Former Member

Haha!! I sure did read it.

8. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

I agree as these are despicable crimes and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. JMHO

9. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you were the only one to read it?

10. EuTuCroquet?

Thank goodness. ... Then you understand the point of it, I hope. If guilty, Jussie has does a disservice to many, many people and communities in addition to possibly breaking the law.

Peace.

11. jggordo

I believe LE both City and State should start filing Civil cases against people who through their actions cause agencies to outlay outlandish amounts to investigate and bring cases to fruition. There are people who have the assets, whether cash or property that should be seized. These people need to put their money where their ignorance is.

JMO

12. monkey222

monkey222 Well-Known Member

But the method acting "defense" doesn't explain why he would be prancing around back to his building with a noose necklace! Take that thing off...geeesh!

13. squid

squid Former Member

I have been wondering about the civil case aspect. What about defamation and slander perpetrated against not an individual but a targeted group?

14. jggordo

Oh, I am not suggesting this as a plausible defense. But you can't make this stuff up in the first place. It is just that OUTRAGEOUS. But as we see just now that it WILL end up in a Court of Law. In any Jury all it takes in a case like this is one "fan" or that thing they call reasonable doubt.

JMO

15. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

16. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

New statement from @SAKimFoxx spokeswoman: "Shortly after the incident occurred in late January, State’s Attorney Foxx had conversations with a family member of Jussie Smollett about the incident and their concerns..." 1/3

More: "...and facilitated a connection to the Chicago Police Department who were investigating the incident. Based on those prior conversations and out of an abundance of caution, last week State’s Attorney Foxx decided to remove herself from the decision making..." 2/3

"...in this matter and delegated it to her First Assistant Joseph Magats, a 28-year veteran prosecutor.” quote attributable to Tandra R. Simonton, Chief Communications Officer. 3/3

Rob Elgas on Twitter

I'm all for caution in no appearance of impropriety but conversations with a family member seems like a lot of caution. I wonder what was discussed, did she give them privileged info?

17. Tim Callahan

Tim Callahan Well-Known Member

I wonder if all of these attorneys are going to be working pro-bono for him? His net worth is supposedly around $500,000, and something tells me his income is going to kind of dry up soon. Add to that a possible restitution judgement in the millions, and the attorneys may have to stand in line for their payment.

18. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I disagree strongly with this portion of her post:

"If we lived in a fair and just world, instead of focusing on this absurd drama of “did he or didn’t he,” we would be using this to launch a much larger conversation about anti-LGBTQ violence -- instead we’re going to be absorbed into this stupid scandal and miss the big picture. That's the bigger crime here."

She may feel that this is the bigger crime, that people are not focusing upon anti-LGBT violence. And it is understandable.
    But this article seems to be very dismissive of the hate and vitriol that this hoax aimed towards a large segment of this nation's people. It was a false accusation against a large segment of society, claiming they are violent racists who want to lynch a man for being black and gay. That is outrageous and hateful and unfounded. But people seem to be dismissing that as if it is a valid accusation and that is why this hoax was a HATE CRIME, in my opinion.

19. EuTuCroquet?

Good question. Seems like there would have to be an actual plaintiff — could there be a civil suit brought by another party or organization? I think it would be a tough lawsuit to prove, to say the least. Since there isn't an actual plaintiff to speak of, damages would be really challenging to suss, imo.

Illinois defamation law:
    Illinois Defamation Law | Digital Media Law Project

Illinois Libel & Slander Law:
    740 ILCS 145/ Slander and Libel Act.

(I wonder if "injurious falsehood" might be applicable? More in section 10 at this link)
    Common Law | Without My Consent

20. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

They are working for the publicity benefits probably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.