IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by TTF14, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

What does he have to hide? How is he cooperating??? He’s not.

2. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

The post don't say the date they found it just "last week" so less than 13 but presumably more than 7. If they did find a vital piece of evidence a week after the fact it really shows up local LE.

The Daily Mail article posted up thread by @Blondie in Spokane says that Brandon Moore turned over his phone data last week, I wonder did his data meet the evidentiary burden?

Rob Elgas has another update that says "MORE: Chicago police spokesman says "Detectives may be following up with him (Smollett) to request additional data to corroborate the investigative timeline."" Rob Elgas on Twitter

At this point surely they should just get a court order for the phone and records from his carrier, hes had enough time to hand them over voluntarily. I appreciate they are still treating him as a victim but even if the attack happened exactly as he said, hes wasted a lot of police time by not turning over the records when asked.

3. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

Thank you for the correction, The New York Post does say the hot sauce bottle was found last week.

It was found simultaneously empty and partially filled, quite a feat! I guess they mean empty of hot sauce.

Near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews, The Post found an empty hot sauce bottle that was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/11/jussie-smolletts-neighbors-cast-doubt-on-his-attack-story/

4. maggieg

The Chicago Tribune has more on what records were provided

"But police described Smollett’s phone records as a heavily redacted document file and his manager’s records as a screenshot of phone calls that provide limited information to investigators. Chief police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said police were “appreciative” of Smollett’s cooperation in providing the records but said detectives will likely need additional data from Smollett to crack the case."

Chicago cops need more phone records from 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett regarding reported attack

5. FinePrint

FinePrint Well-Known Member

It would be hard to splash someone with bleach that is contained in a hot sauce bottle. Whenever I use hot sauce out of a bottle I have to hold it upside down and shake it. Its more like a dribble-dribble and not a splash.

Unless of course it is one of those huge Costco style bulk containers!!

6. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig Well-Known Member

Rob Elgas ABC Chicago Anchor, Reporter:
    MORE: Chicago police tell @ABC and @ABC7Chicago Jussie Smollett's "limited and redacted" phone records were given to detectives at 1:28pm (Chicago time) today.

Jussie Smollett's neighbors do not believe his 'MAGA' attack story | Daily Mail Online
    PUBLISHED: 13:02 EST (12:02pm Chicago time), 11 February 2019
    On Monday, Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told DailyMail.com investigators were yet to receive it or any phone data.
    "We have yet to receive phone records from anyone,' he said."

But Smollett insisted he had given it to them.
    In a statement, his representative told DailyMail.com:
    'Jussie has provided his phone records and multiple statements to police..."

An hour and a half after Smollett and his team publicly called the CPD liars, they provided phone records that are so limited and redacted they don't meet the parameters of being relevant to the investigation???

Sounds like Defamation and Obstruction of Justice, to me.

7. FinePrint

Its like pulling teeth here. Redacted phone records on a PDF from JS and a screen shot from the manager. For all of the time spent on the negotiations to get these records, that's it?

I'm getting the sense that they may not want LE to see what phone calls were made before and after the time of the alleged incident and to whom the calls were made to or placed from. It doesn't take a genius to see they are trying hide something here.

Looks like LE is going to have to stop with the kind and gentle approach in order to get the unredacted phone records from both parties. Time for the subpoena!

8. FinePrint

'Empire' Star Gives Chicago Cops Redacted Phone Log
    Police said Smollett gave them a PDF file of redacted phone calls but did not provide “a download of the phone or a digital record.” They said there is no reason to suggest that the records were modified. Police plan to use the record to corroborate the timeline of the alleged attack.

It was not immediately clear why the call log was redacted.

Snoods, SugarQueen, Trident and 5 others like this.
  9. FinePrint

Its really a matter of simple math. CPD has video of JS walking back to his apartment for all but 60 seconds. If the phone conversation between JS and his manager did not take place during those unseen 60 seconds when the alleged attack happened then the claim that the call took place during the attack is not true and therefore there was no corroboration.

I wonder if the video CPD has of JS walking back to his apartment shows him on the phone?

10. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I guess that I don't understand the problem here.

If I was attacked, and the police wanted my phone log, I would pull it up in a heartbeat. Print it, give it to them. I have nothing to hide.

So, why is Mr. Smollett making it problematic for the police to completely have a timeline to work with to find the perpetrators of this terrible hate crime?

11. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

Because he is lying.

12. Shin Masamura

Shin Masamura Him who is without syntax cast out the 1st pronoun

I have remained silent but do want to remind people of what Sillybilly has stated so that you won't have any strikes or a ban over the subject matter:

"Websleuths is victim friendly ... 39 posts have been removed which violate WS policy in that respect.

UNLESS/UNTIL law enforcement indicates they are not taking this case seriously, posts that are not victim friendly will be removed and posting privileges may be suspended either temporarily or permanently.

Also, leave politics out of this discussion. Warning points for introducing politics into a thread can remain permanently on a member's account.

Post accordingly.

This post lands at random in relation to what is victim friendly.

If members wish to discuss conflicting reports in MSM, you must link to them and you may respectfully discuss discrepancies. In doing so however, you may NOT make insinuations or accusations against a victim.

WS isn't a rag mag, gossip type of forum. This is a victim friendly forum, and unless LE or MSM conclude that a victim is not a victim, members should err on the side of caution in how they discuss a victim at Websleuths.

Example, if an article reports that the victim says attacker had green eyes and another reports that he said brown eyes, you may discuss possible reasons for such a discrepancy (i.e. maybe reporter was wrong, maybe lighting was difficult, maybe victim was traumatized, etc). You may NOT say things to the effect "oh, the victim is probably lying" or "just can't seem to keep his story straight".

Any further questions in that regard, please message a Mod or Admin directly for clarification."

Be tactful in your approach
    much like Coffeeandacig is doing, as most of the pro bias here is coming to the conclusions we are..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Snoods, Poppyflower, Trident and 4 others like this.
  13. maggieg

Even if you did have something to hide as long as its unrelated to the investigation at hand i.e. you bought drugs earlier in the night, have naughty pictures on your phone or had a hook up with someone who isn't your significant other, LE won't care. Especially in a case with a high profile victim, unless there is something truly heinous or disproves the crime altogether, IMHO LE won't care.

At this point even if they caught the alleged perpetrators, theres no way they could win a case, a defense attorney would tear Jussie's reluctance to share his phone records to shreds and would probably be able to subpoena his full phone data and/or bring in an expert witness to talk about how data can be tampered with.

14. TMAN2014

TMAN2014 Well-Known Member

Let's play devil's advocate, and say Jussie's story is 100% true. Would he not have an obligation to hand over all phone records to stop these haters from attacking the next person?

15. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

Chief police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said police were “appreciative” of Smollett’s cooperation in providing the records but said detectives will likely need additional data from Smollett to crack the case.

Chicago cops need more phone records from 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett regarding reported attack

BBM - I think that's an interesting and perhaps telling choice of words used by the police chief. Cracking the case IMO means identifying the alleged attackers. How can Smollett's phone records crack the case? Curioser

16. dyannaON

dyannaON Well-Known Member

I’ve been off work for 3 weeks as I was attacked early morning on my way to work.
    Man I wish LE was this invested in me. How I would hand anything over to help arrest my assaulter and help me feel safe again.
    But alas here we are. Lol.
    I’m ok btw. Going back to work tomorrow. :)

17. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig Well-Known Member

That's horrible! Glad to hear you're doing ok!

18. anonypotomous

anonypotomous Well-Known Member

Deleted: RUMORS

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    coffeeandacig and mickey2942 like this.
  19. Mojito

Mojito Member

Glad to hear you're ok.

20. anonypotomous

anonypotomous Well-Known Member

FYI: Jussie said that any redacted information was intended to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack.

Protect them HOW? Does LE even care about his contacts? And let's be honest, this guy isn't Tom Hanks or Will Smith - it's not like Jussie has every Oscar, Grammy, and Emmy winner on speed dial.

Why would someone stall and redact? I wonder if he called or texted anyone after this happened? One would think he'd call or text his parents/partner/ family/close friends after such a jarring experience. Not just his manager and choreographer. Just saying, if this happened to me, I'd be on the phone to my husband and family to get comfort.

PS: Why are they allowing these negotiations instead of just subpoenaing his records? He's had plenty of time to delete what he wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.