IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by TTF14, Jan 30, 2019.

1. JDG

JDG Websleuther

the show was renewed for another season. JS won't be on it but his contract was renewed IIRC

Snoods and byo like this.
  2. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

'Empire' to end after Season 6 with 'no plans' to bring Jussie Smollett back

There will be a season 6. JS will not be on season 6.
    Season 6 is the LAST season for the show ‘Empire’. Then it will be reruns and reruns, maybe. IMO the show will not be going into reruns right away. Maybe shelved for a few years,

IMO, what JS was involved in got the show cancelled, put his acting friends out of a job after Season 6. IMO he doesn’t not really care. He just hopes he gets out of testifying in any heatings for Foxx.

neesaki, TTF14, nwmouse and 9 others like this.
  3. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you. Well, that is surprising and thoughtful on the part of the network. This way the creators have ample time to conclude their stories without leaving things unresolved for viewers.

MsJosie, Laughing, Snoods and 4 others like this.
  4. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

5. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

So, I guess since it’s been four months since this charade took place, the postal inspector came up with nothing re the fake letter?

6. Puzzles8

Puzzles8 Well-Known Member

That is an understatement.....
    And the layers will get to national levels.

Snoods, Trident, mickey2942 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mauig’ma

Mauig’ma Well-Known Member

Jussie really should get best acting award imo. Best acting I’ve seen in a long time. Look at the mess he’s made. It’s only fair he should pay the price.

Puzzles8, Snoods, MsJosie and 2 others like this.
  8. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

2Hope4, Snoods, Laughing and 11 others like this.
  9. mickey2942

I guess that the "White Powder" letter investigation was just dropped into a round filing bin. Seems like that entire situation disappeared. Using the federal mail system for a terrorist attack with white powder, just goes away...that takes some very high political clout.

This article has an excellent timeline for the Smollett case.
    A Complete Timeline of the Jussie Smollett Case

It looks like the next drama in this case will be...
    1. Unsealing the court records.
    2. Ongoing litigation by city of Chicago for financial damages.
    3. The federal lawsuit by the Osundario (?), brothers for defamation.

I am particularly interested in the court case that was dropped, Jussie was supposed to do some "community service", as far as I know, that does not include things done previously. And Jussie left immediately for Hawaii, then moved to California...how many hours of "Community Service" did he perform and where was it done?

I think that will be interesting to watch, because courts are usually sticklers for "Community Service", like you do it, or face a sentence. If they let Smollett slide out of that, it has ramifications for other cases involving "Community Service".

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

This entire case has "ramifications", some we haven't even dreamed of. IMO

neesaki, Snoods, sassyblue and 6 others like this.
  11. Puzzles8

If anything is to come of this, they need to get the investigation out of Cook County. Illinois machine politics are largely controlled by Cook County.

12. Puzzles8

Ironically JS served his "16 hours of community service" the days (Sat & Mon) before the case was heard in court on Tuesday and settled. Jesse Jackson Sr. lauded Jussie Smolette's service as "one of the most impactful community service volunteers they've ever worked with".........
    Article below explains details.:mad:

Smells like the deal was highly brokered days before it officially went before the judge.

Rainbow PUSH Coalition: Jussie Smollett Is 'One Of The Most Impactful Community Service Volunteers We Have Ever Worked With'

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    neesaki, Snoods, Laughing and 4 others like this.
  13. mickey2942

That is interesting. Nothing can be "done" before the case is actually determined by a judge, but what confuses me, is that the charges against Smollett were dropped...but he was still required to do community service? That is not the norm, but none of this fits the "norm".

16 hours? That is actually laughable.

Most first time offenders, and BTW, this is considered the 2nd time Smollett has lied to LEO, most offenders are also ordered to mandatory psychological treatment, to "cure" their "Thinking Errors".

Cook County....whatever.

14. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

From @Puzzles8 link:
    How about advancing the human rights of people who aren’t politically connected and aren’t big fat law-breaking liars?

So it turns out he didn’t even offer to bless PUSH with the presence of his amazing royal smugness, THEY had to reach out to HIM?

He simply can’t dial back the smugness, can he?
    [​IMG]

Well f*ck a doodle doo, why was it considered court-ordered community service, then?

I can’t even wrap my head around all of this Tom Foolery.

Apparently there IS a God of morons, who keeps them safely ensconced outside my circle of b*tch-slappery.​

15. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

Onetime Michelle Obama staffer evades subpoena in Smollett-Foxx case, process server says

Onetime Michelle Obama staffer evades subpoena in Smollett-Foxx case, process server says

In an email to former Illinois appellate judge Sheila O'Brien obtained by Fox News, the process server wrote that a security guard at the Chicago law firm where Tchen is a partner "called up to her and spoke with her and she said that she in [sic] never going to accept service and to not allow me up to their Law firm.

"She knows all about this Subpoena," the server added.

"I don’t know why she’d turn it [the subpoena] down, she’ll be served eventually," Ryan told the paper.

16. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

What a fine example of a stellar citizen, lawyer, and former White House staffer. I await paparazzi photos of her skulking about back alleys while being pursued by a process server.

All of this for Jussie Smollett?

I would love to be the person serving her subpoena. I’d drop down from the ceiling of her office like Spider-Man, or pop out of the air conditioning duct.

17. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

I'm finding it harder and harder to read about this case. It seems to me we're having third world BS shoved down our throats and no one can stop them, hold them accountable?

18. mickey2942

This is really true. What blows me away, is how many people are involved in this situation. This is big. I wonder if there will actually be a full investigation? And it surprises me that anyone would get involved in this mess.

How does a licensed attorney, sworn to uphold the law, evade a subpoena? Time for the Illinois Bar Association to be involved. Ms. Tschen can't just say, "No, I don't want a subpoena.". That isn't how it works for the rest of us...

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

Judge orders file in Jussie Smollett criminal case | Daily Mail Online

• Judge Steven Watkins ordered the file to be unsealed on Thursday
    • Smollett asked for it to be kept private after the charges were dropped in March
    • He said he had the right 'to be left alone' but his lawyers have continued to do interviews about the case since
    • On Thursday, the judge said he no longer had the right to privacy because of it

Kittybunny, MsBetsy, Snoods and 16 others like this.
  20. Cool Cats

Cool Cats "JUSTICE IS COMING "

Some Answers Finally?

Judge orders unsealing of documents in Jussie Smollett case
    Posted May 23 2019 08:53AM CDT
    Updated May 23 2019 01:28PM CDT

CHICAGO (FOX 32) - A Cook County judge ordered Thursday that all court documents regarding the Jussie Smollett case be unsealed to the media.

Attorneys for Smollett, who was accused of staging a racist, anti-gay attack on himself, moved to seal the "Empire" actor's court records in March after prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges against him.

Media attorneys requested Cook County Judge Steven Watkins unseal Smollett's case file, arguing that the Smollett saga is now so well known that there is no reason to conceal the records regarding his arrest.

Watkins said in his order Thursday that Smollett's lawyers had argued that since the case was dismissed, Smollett had "the right to be left alone."

Watkins wrote that Smollett "voluntarily appeared on national television for an interview speaking about the incident in detail" and that on "several occasions, attorneys for defendant, presumably with his authorization, appeared on various media outlets speaking about the case."

Attorneys for Smollett, however, argued that he is entitled -- like thousands of other defendants -- to have his arrest records sealed or even expunged.

Attorney Brian Watson argued that unsealing Smollett's files would create a "dangerous, dangerous precedent." He said that it is unfair for the media to make someone a celebrity, and then use that celebrity status to obtain records that are typically sealed.

Last edited: May 23, 2019