IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by TTF14, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Right, it is going back to Foxx...why?

"June 3 pencilled in as a release date, this now moves everything back once again to the office of highly criticized Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who will determine exactly how documents like police files and more will be doled out. Foxx controversially recused herself from the Smollett case because of a connection with a member of the actor’s family."

Kim Foxx will determine how documents are doled out? Talk about putting the "Foxx" in charge of the henhouse!

2. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

She is filing, herself. She's not the judge on the case.

She subpoena several, including Ms. Foxx, Jussie, and Tina Tchen, the former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama. She is asking for a special prosecutor to investigate their actions.

I never heard of this and we've ask an attorney on WS, and again, never heard of this.

Don't know under what law, but is must be civil. O'Brien has requested they use their personal funds for the case and not be allowed to use government funds.

3. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

JMO, they release 400 pages and include 6 words that aren't redacted.

4. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I am not sure how she has standing to file a petition to have a special prosecutor review the case and how it was handled. But there must be a precedent for it and she must be able to do it or she wouldn't.

And I am all for it. This was a miscarriage of justice which hurts people who really are victims of hate crimes. It also is an example of the rich getting away with crimes.

I know some don't care because black people in our country have a different and unequal system of justice to contend with that sees them arrested more often, charged more harshly, found guilty more often and sentenced far more severely for the same acts as everyone else. That's fact that has been determined in study after study after study.

But I do care because first, he's a wealthy celebrity and color stops mattering as much the richer and more famous someone is and second, we need to fix what needs to be fixed but breaking something isn't the way to do that. And letting this insane liar off breaks the system IMO.

5. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

6. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

Such an example of crazy abuse of power. I don't like to see anyone wealthy and famous get away with something like this.

7. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

You are the current trophy holder for "Winner of the Internet" for this comment.

8. JDG

JDG Websleuther

Just out of curiosity, I read JSs' Wiki page. He certainly is a study in contrasts. He pulled this 'stunt' supposedly to get more attention, had the papers sealed so that he'd get no more attention and now, he's got more attention than I think he ever bargained for. If you read his Wiki page, you'll see other contrasts in his life.

BTW, it has not been updated about the recent legal 'stuff', if anyone knows/cares to keep it current. Just saying.....

9. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

Are you sitting down?

We have even more lawyers wearing fake mustaches and exiting their offices using the fire escape to avoid getting served! Now Geragos and Co. won’t accept service.

They think the lawsuit the bros filed against them is a ‘parody’ and ‘comical’ so they have chosen to ignore it. Yeah...allow me to introduce you to your client, Jussie Smollett. He paid the bros to beat him up, put a noose around his neck, and (allegedly) mailed himself death threats. He called himself the “gay Tupac.” Geragos claimed the bros could have been wearing whiteface stage makeup during the attack. Maybe going the “We’re so above this silliness” route isn’t such a good idea.

The brothers’ lawyer has asked that a judge have service performed by a U.S. Marshal.

The hubris and entitlement of everyone involved in this fiasco is unbelievable!

Bodybuilding brothers say Jussie Smollett’s lawyers are ducking them

10. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

Well, it's reasonable that this firm is familiar with & can recognize "lawyer driven nonsense."

Not so "comical" now, on the receiving end?

Something about a bad penny always turns up again???

11. mickey2942

WTH?

"I don't want a subpoena...". La La La, they can't serve me...the criminal thinking here is epic.

The rest of us would be considered in Contempt of Court, and end up with a bench warrant. Seriously, how long can they do this?

12. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

"EPIC" is the operative word. No wonder Chicago is such a mess with so many shootings and crime. Maybe it's time someone cleaned out that nest?

13. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

I love that brave sensible judge...

Yeah, I'm with the judge... "I want the "facts of the case to be known", says Smollett... "but only if "facts being known", means "I spin truth and make up fake facts in an attempt to muddy the waters so people don't know whether they're coming or going".

Well, I agree with @Laughing , that "they'd know from lawyer-driven nonsense..."

As for Kim Foxx, I think June 3 a fine time for a FOIA request or ten from the honorable members of the Fourth and/or Fifth Estates... Chicago Tribune please copy.

14. squareandrabbet

ETA to add: Speaking of the Tribune, they have answered:

More here: Citizen Sheila O'Brien shows that you, too, can demand a special prosecutor

neesaki, Puzzles8, jennapuppy and 9 others like this.
  15. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

16. mickey2942

It seems like the justice system in Chicago merits review from the FBI. It is like pre-civil rights era deep south "justice", only opposite. That is a problem. Lady Justice has a blindfold, as it should be, but evidently this is missing in Chicago.

This investigation on Smollett may get even bigger than just the issue of dropping charges against Smollett. Kim Foxx may have a Pandora's Box of problems.

neesaki, Snoods, Puzzles8 and 13 others like this.
  17. mickey2942

neesaki, Snoods, Puzzles8 and 4 others like this.
  18. squareandrabbet

The firm(s) where I have worked, the general decision handed down was to accept any subpoena served upon us that was legitimate. (For example, if our receptionist looked at it and instead of its bearing our mailing address under the addressee, it bore, say, Coke's address in Atlanta, they were told to turn it down; because then we would be pretty sure it was improper service, because we have no business connections with Coca-Cola). For any duly served summons bearing a company or individual's name we recognized, and knew our company was or had been affiliated with it; we accepted it lickety split, because as my bosses always said, "They'll find a way to get it to us anyway; might as well take it now." Technically if a process server wants to take the chance and think they are in the right of it, they can toss it on the floor at your feet; on the counter of the receptionist's office; or anywhere similar; and just walk away. It's a myth saying that you have to accept it in direct hand-to-hand contact, to the best of my knowledge.

Snoods, Puzzles8, Laughing and 5 others like this.
  19. lucylulu

lucylulu Well-Known Member

Jussie Smollett update: Chicago police could release records in 'Empire' actor's case Thursday

Jussie Smollett update: Chicago police could release records in 'Empire' actor's case Thursday
    Updated an hour ago
    CHICAGO -- The Chicago Police Department could release hundreds of pages of official documents from "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett's case on Thursday.

Last week, a Cook County judge ordered police and prosecutors to unseal the documents in the case. The police documents include official typed reports from handwritten notes from detectives.

Police also have 69 hours of video in the case and redacted versions of the videos could be released next week.

neesaki, Snoods, MsBetsy and 10 others like this.
  20. lucylulu

lucylulu Well-Known Member

Snoods, Puzzles8, doozle and 15 others like this.