Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could simply be his age. He was set to start Kindergarten this fall. All kind of things can come out when a child has someone to listen to them. JMO

And, it is time to start registration for the 2019/2020 school year. Doesn't enrollment in KG in IL require a physical and proof of immunizations? The stress of knowing they woul need to take him to a pediatrician could have set them off.

omg. That is horrific. That poor sweet child :( Why would they take pictures like there's nothing wrong? Like they're all having a regular happy day???

For the benefit of DCFS and/or family or other parties who are keeping an eye on them.

I know someone whose Facebook is a work of fiction. Happy happy happy when, in reality, it’s all kinds of abuse, illegalities, drama, and overall insanity. But they know we’re watching and portray a false front.

This case hits way too close to home for me.

I truly believe he was already dead at that point. The admitted that he died “a few days” before reported.

this makes total sense. they prob even went to the motel to distance themselves from the horror they committed. omg. ive been loving on my 6 year old son nonstop since they found this poor baby boo.

Our View: Boy's death could have been prevented
12:57 pm

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services failed 5-year-old Andrew “A.J.” Freund.

The boy could have been saved from the conditions in which he lived and from the parents who prosecutors say killed him. Authorities knew what was going on with the people who lived at 94 Dole Ave. in Crystal Lake, and should have known that it could end in tragedy.

This is not simply about funding or resources. It is a failure to act. A DCFS caseworker investigated not one, but two claims of abuse of neglect by A.J.’s parents, JoAnn Cunningham, 36, and Andrew Freund, 60, in 2018 alone.

Both times they were listed as “unfounded,“ but the investigation seems to have ignored things that police reports show were going on around the home, including suspected drug use and drug-seeking behavior. Both times that authorities encountered A.J. in 2018, he seemed to have odd bruises.

.....Even if there was not evidence to merit removing the children from the house, some kind of intervention or regular monitoring might have been enough. That no action was taken is a shame on all of us, and it has touched many people profoundly.

Our state legislators, our governor, and leaders at DCFS and other child-welfare organizations must address this tragic shortcoming of our system.

Let's work together to do a better job protecting at-risk children in Illinois.

Our View: Boy's death could have been prevented | Northwest Herald

this makes total sense. they prob even went to the motel to distance themselves from the horror they committed. omg. ive been loving on my 6 year old son nonstop since they found this poor baby boo.

Totally agree. Can’t even add another sentence. It’s too painful to imagine the state AJ was in at this point

This is possible, but I doubt it’s the case. Since cell data cracked the case I’m guessing GPS data put them at the burial site on 4/15.

Re a little kid not wanting to go in the pool: I bet if his parents had a habit of abusing him with water he wouldn’t.
Unless he was killed before then kept in the house until they decided on a burial spot.

I really think AJ had been killed before the motel outing. One reason not to be in their home a reminder.

Last edited:
Unless he was killed before then kept in the house until they decided on a burial spot.

I really think AJ had been killed before the motel outing. One reason not to be in their home a reminder.

AND taking P away to the motel pool would lessen the risk of him finding out about AJ and give Sr. the chance to clean the scene and remove the body.

Excellent points these. I have to agree the circumstances sure make it seem like AJ had been murdered before the motel pool jaunt of Mom and P 0n April 13

For the benefit of DCFS and/or family or other parties who are keeping an eye on them.

I know someone whose Facebook is a work of fiction. Happy happy happy when, in reality, it’s all kinds of abuse, illegalities, drama, and overall insanity. But they know we’re watching and portray a false front.

This case hits way too close to home for me.
:*(

WTF??? JC was a DCFS foster parent before AJ and his younger brother were born.....please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

DCFS workers who monitored Crystal Lake boy removed from duty

DCFS released a timeline of events detailing the agency's interaction with the family dating to 2012, including Cunningham's role as a DCFS foster parent before AJ and a younger brother were born.

WTF??? JC was a DCFS foster parent before AJ and his younger brother were born.....please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

DCFS released a timeline of events detailing the agency's interaction with the family dating to 2012, including Cunningham's role as a DCFS foster parent before AJ and a younger brother were born.
Here is what I found and posted earlier (and it is unbelievable):

In the bolded (by me) part of the DCFS report published today, it states that JoAnn was a foster parent and Andrew's removal was in a home of a cousin. I know that unfounded reports should not taint a person's ability to parent if indeed the report is unfounded, so I get why they would expunge a record. However, in the space of a year and a half, there were three reports of drug use/abuse and supervision issues. It took Andrew being born to get some action. What if the foster child had been harmed? This could have been avoided. Just unbelievable.

......OVERVIEW -
PREVIOUS HISTORY
The Department’s first interaction with this family began in 2012, prior to Andrew’s birth. JoAnn Summerkamp (maiden name Cunningham) mother of Andrew was a DCFS foster parent who had two prior unfounded cases in 2012. The first case was for Inadequate Supervision and the second case was for Risk of Harm and Environmental neglect. In October 2013, JoAnn gave birth to Andrew Freund, whose toxicology screen tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care and DCFS was granted temporary custody of Andrew. He was placed with his cousin in what is called a relative foster home.

TIMELINE
06/07/12 DCFS received a hotline call alleging inadequate supervision. The allegations were that JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and neglecting her foster child. The report was unfounded and expunged.

12/24/12 DCFS hotline received a call alleging environmental neglect and injurious environment as to her oldest son. The report alleged JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and has mental health issues. The report was unfounded and expunged.

10/16/13 DCFS received a hotline report alleging substance misuse by neglect, afterJoAnn gave birth to Andrew on 10/14/13. Andrew and JoAnn tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. The report was indicated forSubstance Misuse. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care during the investigation.......

From the DCFS Memo published by ‘Maybe Mommy Didn’t Mean To Hurt Me’; A.J. Freund Told Doctor About Mysterious Bruise Five Months Before His Death

Troubled family history of slain Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund reveals missed warning signs, failed chances to intervene

This has a little more detail about the time mom was found passed out in the car.

On March 21, 2018, a hospital social worker called the DCFS hotline to report that AJ had “odd bruising on his face,” the state agency said. Both AJ and his younger brother, now 4, were wearing clothes that were inside out, according to a Tribune source who reviewed the child welfare records. The incident began after police found Cunningham asleep in her car, her arms, neck and feet covered in “fresh track marks” from needles, according to the source and records.

If this is true, here is a little inside peek as to what we have heard time and time again about the horrors of foster care.

There have been holes in the system for decades.

Unacceptable.

MOO

In the bolded (by me) part of the DCFS report published today, it states that JoAnn was a foster parent and Andrew's removal was in a home of a cousin. I know that unfounded reports should not taint a person's ability to parent if indeed the report is unfounded, so I get why they would expunge a record. However, in the space of a year and a half, there were three reports of drug use/abuse and supervision issues. It took Andrew being born to get some action. What if the foster child had been harmed? This could have been avoided. Just unbelievable.

......OVERVIEW -
PREVIOUS HISTORY
The Department’s first interaction with this family began in 2012, prior to Andrew’s birth. JoAnn Summerkamp (maiden name Cunningham) mother of Andrew was a DCFS foster parent who had two prior unfounded cases in 2012. The first case was for Inadequate Supervision and the second case was for Risk of Harm and Environmental neglect. In October 2013, JoAnn gave birth to Andrew Freund, whose toxicology screen tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care and DCFS was granted temporary custody of Andrew. He was placed with his cousin in what is called a relative foster home.

TIMELINE
06/07/12 DCFS received a hotline call alleging inadequate supervision. The allegations were that JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and neglecting her foster child. The report was unfounded and expunged.

12/24/12 DCFS hotline received a call alleging environmental neglect and injurious environment as to her oldest son. The report alleged JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and has mental health issues. The report was unfounded and expunged.

10/16/13 DCFS received a hotline report alleging substance misuse by neglect, afterJoAnn gave birth to Andrew on 10/14/13. Andrew and JoAnn tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. The report was indicated forSubstance Misuse. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care during the investigation.......

From the DCFS Memo published by ‘Maybe Mommy Didn’t Mean To Hurt Me’; A.J. Freund Told Doctor About Mysterious Bruise Five Months Before His Death
Thank you for posting! This has become ridiculous!!!!!!

Troubled family history of slain Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund reveals missed warning signs, failed chances to intervene

This has a little more detail about the time mom was found passed out in the car.

On March 21, 2018, a hospital social worker called the DCFS hotline to report that AJ had “odd bruising on his face,” the state agency said. Both AJ and his younger brother, now 4, were wearing clothes that were inside out, according to a Tribune source who reviewed the child welfare records. The incident began after police found Cunningham asleep in her car, her arms, neck and feet covered in “fresh track marks” from needles, according to the source and records.

.....the needle & the damage done.

Time after time intervention could have saved this boys life.

It's tough to read.

MOO

......OVERVIEW -
PREVIOUS HISTORY

TIMELINE

I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around this:

JC was a Foster Parent and had a foster child in 2012, yet her own son had been removed from her previously by his grandmother?

How does someone who has had a child taken from them for neglect become a Foster Parent, of two children?

How are these reports of drug abuse and mental health issues expunged? Is there a valid toxicology test done to prove / disprove use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member