Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the bolded (by me) part of the DCFS report published today, it states that JoAnn was a foster parent and Andrew's removal was in a home of a cousin. I know that unfounded reports should not taint a person's ability to parent if indeed the report is unfounded, so I get why they would expunge a record. However, in the space of a year and a half, there were three reports of drug use/abuse and supervision issues. It took Andrew being born to get some action. What if the foster child had been harmed? This could have been avoided. Just unbelievable.

......OVERVIEW -
PREVIOUS HISTORY
The Department’s first interaction with this family began in 2012, prior to Andrew’s birth. JoAnn Summerkamp (maiden name Cunningham) mother of Andrew was a DCFS foster parent who had two prior unfounded cases in 2012. The first case was for Inadequate Supervision and the second case was for Risk of Harm and Environmental neglect. In October 2013, JoAnn gave birth to Andrew Freund, whose toxicology screen tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care and DCFS was granted temporary custody of Andrew. He was placed with his cousin in what is called a relative foster home.

TIMELINE
06/07/12 DCFS received a hotline call alleging inadequate supervision. The allegations were that JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and neglecting her foster child. The report was unfounded and expunged.

12/24/12 DCFS hotline received a call alleging environmental neglect and injurious environment as to her oldest son. The report alleged JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and has mental health issues. The report was unfounded and expunged.

10/16/13 DCFS received a hotline report alleging substance misuse by neglect, afterJoAnn gave birth to Andrew on 10/14/13. Andrew and JoAnn tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. The report was indicated forSubstance Misuse. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care during the investigation.......

From the DCFS Memo published by ‘Maybe Mommy Didn’t Mean To Hurt Me’; A.J. Freund Told Doctor About Mysterious Bruise Five Months Before His Death

Hey mods. There should be a ‘hate’ reply. Hard to like these posts. For all of us.

DCFS workers who monitored Crystal Lake boy removed from duty

The caseworker and supervisor responsible for monitoring the well-being of a 5-year-old Illinois boy found dead in a shallow grave have been removed from work on child-welfare cases.

The Department of Children and Family Services announced Friday that the two employees have been placed on administrative duty without casework while the agency reviews their interaction with the family of Andrew "AJ" Freund of Crystal Lake and other families. A spokesman declined to name the employees.
So don't hurry to fire them.
SMH.

@Breezie - excellent link. It does seem that DCFS really made an effort here. I'm reposting for focus, easier than quoting.

AJ Freund death: DCFS releases timeline; Community asked to wear blue to remember slain Crystal Lake boy

12/18/18: ER Physician examined Andrew and could not state how his injury was caused. The doctor reported injury could have been caused by a dog, belt or a football. The doctor was concerned because Andrew stated that "maybe someone hit me with a belt. Maybe mommy didn't mean to hurt me."

:(

Right. She also didn't mean to pour or throw scalding water on him from his head on down, or beat his head until he died. Poor baby tried to tell the doctor...

Wouldn't want to be him today...

The development came as the agency's new director, Marc D. Smith, prepared to testify Friday afternoon before a House appropriations committee examining budget requests from several agencies.

State Rep. Sara Feigenholtz, a Chicago Democrat who heads the House Adoption and Child Welfare Committee, said Smith should expect tough questioning about the agency's action not only in AJ's case but the deaths since February of two other children under DCFS watch.

This is possible, but I doubt it’s the case. Since cell data cracked the case I’m guessing GPS data put them at the burial site on 4/15.

Re a little kid not wanting to go in the pool: I bet if his parents had a habit of abusing him with water he wouldn’t.

Who knows, maybe they left the house and and went to the hotel while the 'father' was dealing with the crime scene. He was buried on 4/15. but who knows when he actually died.

I haven’t been on since the COD was relseased... I really don’t know where to begin or what to say.. this poor boy! It’s heartwrenching to me to know he was beaten, cold, and scared!!! Could no one hear him scream ? My god, how does this happen! The system failed this boy. My state failed him miserably! I’m heartbroken and really pissed at the world right now...

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that when AJ was returned two years after living with a foster family - it's very possible that a normal, deep parental love & bond was ever formed. While I very much agree, somewhere it changed from "I don't really care about AJ" to 'I resent and hate AJ" - unfathomable.

it happens a lot. some of the most horrible cases i believe were moms that didn't bond w the child. Gabriel Fernandez. Kimberly lopez. jhessaye Shockley. jordan belleviau. all of them were in foster care early on.

Wouldn't want to be him today...

The development came as the agency's new director, Marc D. Smith, prepared to testify Friday afternoon before a House appropriations committee examining budget requests from several agencies.

State Rep. Sara Feigenholtz, a Chicago Democrat who heads the House Adoption and Child Welfare Committee, said Smith should expect tough questioning about the agency's action not only in AJ's case but the deaths since February of two other children under DCFS watch.

((standing up and clapping loudly))

I really just don't have words right now. The abuse is so obvious. His poor little face =(

How do you sit there and smile, and take photos of a child that clearly looks like they have been severely beaten. Are they blind to their own barbarism? Do they really think their abuse is invisible? The normalcy on her face shows how antisocial and delusional she is. Just another day with her precious children who are her life? The hypocrisy reeks.

this case is really bothering me, and even hubs is bothered. every time i see his little smiling face when he got the haircut, i think of my 6 year old with his little toothy grin and just cry. how dare they????

I feel the same! I’m baffled how many times state workers could have helped him and didn’t !!! His grandma tried desperately... wtf!

I wonder if he was actually killed a day or so before this date and told detectives differently. Their drug addicts they can’t remember any dates and lie as well. Rachelle Bond while on the stand couldn’t even remember the date her precious Bella was killed.

I can’t imagine a little boy not wanting to be in the pool playing with his brother unless he was being punished as usual. I think he was killed before the hotel stay.

Bbm. Or incapacitated during the March 4th (or other) incident.

Not true about heroine/cocaine not making people aggressive. From personal experience, it makes people extremely out of touch and aggressive. My mom was completely out of it and many, many times I was sure she was going to kill my dad.

cocaine and heroin are opposites (upper and downer) however a lot of times it goes hand in hand. I'm sorry for what you went through :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken