IL - Brandon Burkhardt, 9 mos, left alone for 9 hours, suffocates, 5 March 2011

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by MorenoI, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MorenoI

MorenoI New Member

2. Loading...

3. peeples

peeples New Member

Foster child.. big surprise... I'm so over all this :( :(
    If waht she didn't wasn't murder it sure as heck was negligent to the utmost degree!!!!!
    RIP baby!

4. burbqueen

burbqueen New Member

ooook something seems a bit off. I wonder did this child have special needs? I have a 10 month old and I know that at 9 months kids can usually sit up and roll over on their own. How did this kid suffocate? Why didnt she check on him? 9 hrs? who puts a pillow in a crib? I thought everyone got the memo of no pillows in cribs?

5. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

what 9 month old does not need a meal, a drink or a diaper change from noon, til 9:30 at night???? Not to mention someone thinking, even if all those things listed where not necessities, that a child at 9 months should go 9.5 hours without any human interaction whatsoever??

WTH?

6. burbqueen

burbqueen New Member

they should be arrested! what were they doing? I can see maybe if this was overnight and they were asleep, but this was during the day. Shoot a daycare couldnt even get away with leaving a baby in a crib all day!!! Are they crazy??? If the baby was crying why wouldnt you go check???

Ok I just reread. There was a bottle in the crib. I wonder how many times this child has been left alone in a crib with a bottle for hours?? thats not good at all!!!

7. Melanie

Melanie Inactive

OMG. Puts baby in the crib around 12:00 Noon. Burkhardt was making noises about 3 p.m., his foster mother told police. But she didn't go into the room until about 9:30 p.m., when she found him unresponsive.

9.5 HOURS! Who leaves a child in a crib all day without supervision. Even when my son was a baby, I always checked on him throughout the night -- when he wasn't eating or in need of a change.

Good Lord - lock this woman up!

Mel

8. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

In the crib was a stuffed animal, a pillow, and maybe a bottle. Maybe?

Nine months old? Aren't babies that age fairly vocal? Making noises? You don't check on a baby making noises let alone not check on the poor little who was left alone all that time?

9. Shear22

Shear22 Proud crime junkie!

Horrifying. Everything I have ever heard about the process to become a foster parent sounds rather rigorous. How is it that so many horrible families slip through the cracks? (I know that there are also plenty of wonderful foster families.) Leaving a baby in a crib all day is scandalous. I hope she faces criminal charges.

10. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

UBM

People who view cribs as cages...RIP little one.

11. Lyn1001

Lyn1001 In constant need of a nap

Because if you have a clean background and can present appropriately for a period of time, then you can get licensed. Many people can present as being upstanding, look at the BTK killer. Workers can get "gut feelings" about foster parents (and bio parents as well), but without evidence, not much you can do. If someone appears wonderful and always has vaild explinations (i.e. surprise visit to the home, baby is in the crib, foster parent says "oh, I just put him down for a nap" or "oh, he just woke up before you got here, I was just going in to get him and see if he needs changing"), what can you do?

12. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

Also, I tend to think these agencies make certain allowances for family members who "foster" relatives. IME, those relatives do not need to pass nearly the stringent requirements that jane and joe doe do in order to acheive placement of child.

wonder if this child was a relative? This doesn't read like a typical foster home situation.

13. norest4thewicked

norest4thewicked Karma is a beautiful thing ~

This makes me sick to my stomach!!!